• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

massoluk

Banned
The problems I have with TouchWiz were the shit load of Samsung Apps that I can't get rid off and that it effectively blocked a lot of UI customization apps on Play Store.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Note 4 looks gorgeous. If they've fixed the Touchwiz sluggishness then this baby is mine. Bye bye Note 2.

DarkFlow

Banned
AT&T releasing Note 4, Edge, and Gear VR.

my-body-is-ready.png

And all will have a locked bootloader with Knox.

How stable or buggy is cyanogenmod 11 running on a note?

The S Pen is kind of hit or miss with non touchwiz based roms. You basically turn your note into a over sized G5

I have a Note 2. Cyanogen is one of the more stable non-touchwiz ROMs, and for the most part its pretty stable, but every now and then I run into a bug that force closes whatever I'm using until I reboot the phone, or stuff like that. It's not often, but I'd say I run into a bug like that probably 1-4 times a month, which for me is enough that I want to avoid a phone that I feel the need to root on my next upgrade.

Never had issues with the S pen acting any buggier with the ROMs I used, so obviously its not the same across the board.

kyongwon

Banned
And all will have a locked bootloader with Knox.

The S Pen is kind of hit or miss with non touchwiz based roms. You basically turn your note into a over sized G5

"locked bootloader." why do ppl still care about rooting/CM/xda h4ckzorz ROM? i've made ROMs in the past (search kyanrom on youtube) and did all that root access/debloat/cleanup and shit. it felt necessary back then, but i feel today's tech can handle w/e throws at it now. theres a uninstall/disable app for a reason. its more than enough for me for my busy lifestyle.

Thanks to Neogaf I know now that it's stupid to try and innovate or improve specs.

Unless it's Apple, LG, Sony, etc.

I'm guessing the initial concept challenge was "how can we make navigating large phones easier for small hands/women"

Looks to me like a potentially interesting idea and potentially greatly improves usability for a large portion of the population.

This would also be cool for different games to use this edge screen.

I see no point in the Note Edge. I already get lock screen notifications. So now I can see them by only taking the phone partially out of my pocket? Samsung is running out of ideas here.

They have more ideas in their phone than anyone else.

As someone who has never used TouchWiz... tell me why everyone (here) seems to hate it pls.

I'm going to regret asking this aren't I?

The only problem for me is that it takes up a good portion of the device space. Other than that I have never had any lag issues using stock Touchwiz on my S4. I currently use the Google Now Launcher.

DarkFlow

Banned
"locked bootloader." why do ppl still care about rooting/CM/xda h4ckzorz ROM? i've made ROMs in the past (search kyanrom on youtube) and did all that root access/debloat/cleanup and shit. it felt necessary back then, but i feel today's tech can handle w/e throws at it now. theres a uninstall/disable app for a reason. its more than enough for me for my busy lifestyle.

Well it's kind of helpful when Samsung decides to stop updating your device. Also some people don't like touchwiz and would rather run stock. I at least needed root on my note 3 to get rid of all the crap bloatware AT&T put on my phone.

Well it's kind of helpful when Samsung decides to stop updating your device. Also some people don't like touchwiz and would rather run stock. I at least needed root on my note 3 to get rid of all the crap bloatware AT&T put on my phone.

Nova Launcher > Hide Apps

You don't "need" to do anything. I have a GS4 and have no problems after hiding all the apps I don't want displayed.

DarkFlow

Banned
Nova Launcher > Hide Apps

You don't "need" to do anything. I have a GS4 and have no problems after hiding all the apps I don't want displayed.
But then I can't use Google Now launcher and I'm forced to use Nova.
You also can't hide them all, and there are a lot. It's just easier to root and then use titanium backup to clean it out. You also forgot the key part of what you highlight I at least.

Avixph

In the case of the edge, they might actually have solved some of their left handed issues with on screen buttons. Sammy have done really well with the Note 4, I'm genuinely impressed in a way I haven't been since probably the S2.

If they insist on keeping with buttons, they need to put them in the right order (Back > Home > Multitask) and go full capacitive. No idea why they still insist on that physical home button, which is a throwback to the iPhone.

Because it's great and it also functions as a fingerprint scanner.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
On a Note 2, didn't think I'd want to upgrade for years.

Gear VR stuff is making me lose my shit. I'm salivating. No way I can afford this though, and I imagine Note 2 resale value is crap now.

Somnid

The edge is one of those things that's a cool idea but will be marred by Android genericism (nobody is developing Samsung specific software) and Samsung half-baking the implementation (why not both sides for symmetry).

Last time I tried, annoying bugs and shittier cam made it undesirable as daily driver. No idea what the latest iterations are like though. In any case, I found the Samsung equation for my needs :)

Stock (yes there are elements of touchwiz I like) + root (to debloat and other shit) + Xposed + Nova = my equivalent of perfect custom rom

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Id be all over the note if it were water proof. Ive used my gs5 in the water more times than I can count.

Is the watch at least water resistant/proof?

Business

It seems plenty of people disagree with you.

At least they offered up the Note in two variants so you aren't forced into something you don't want.

What's awful about it?

No need to get defensive guys I'm sure many others will agree too, it's just an opinion. What I meant is what is the problem this edge design is solving in the first place? My opinion is that there isn't one. Probably none of us actually designs phones for a living but I'd imagine you look at a problem and you try to find the best design solution for it, given technology available and cost. In the case of the edge, it seems to me instead of this what happened is the R+D department comes with a screen that can be made round and then the design department thinks about a possible application of this technology, which in my opinion is awful design.

Besides the subjective opinion that this asymetrical design looks ugly, what does it really add? or what does it really add that really needs a bent screen and couldn't be done with a flat screen. How many apps or browsers are gonna support it? What about left handed people? ... I just don't see the point and I bet this design won't be adopted by other manufacturers.

The only explanation I can think of for this is the Note series is more geared towards the business class than sport or every day use.

I wonder if the s pen had anything to do with absence of feature
I guess that makes sense. My note 3 is the best and favorite phone I've ever owned but water resistance was the thing I was looking forward to.
The only reason the Z3 is still in the mix. That Intro video looks so good.
I'm going to have to look into this.

No need to get defensive guys I'm sure many others will agree too, it's just an opinion. What I meant is what is the problem this edge design is solving in the first place? My opinion is that there isn't one. Probably none of us actually designs phones for a living but I'd imagine you look at a problem and you try to find the best design solution for it, given technology available and cost. In the case of the edge, it seems to me instead of this what happened is the R+D department comes with a screen that can be made round and then the design department thinks about a possible application of this technology, which in my opinion is awful design.

Besides the subjective opinion that this asymetrical design looks ugly, what does it really add? or what does it really add that really needs a bent screen and couldn't be done with a flat screen. How many apps or browsers are gonna support it? What about left handed people? ... I just don't see the point and I bet this design won't be adopted by other manufacturers.

Wedge7

Wow, that Edge looks actually pretty sick. I'm currently using a Note 2, and was seriously considering switching it up and going Apple for my next upgrade, but damn, now I really gotta seriously consider sticking in the Samsung family.

Currently using a Note 2 on Verizon and undecided as to what I want next. I really don't like having such a large phone at times, but all the new phones are going big and I feel like after having a large screen, I wouldn't want to downsize that aspect. The only other phones I'm really interested in are Sony's, which aren't available on Verizon. So it looks like S4, Note 3 or 4 or Edge will be my next phone.

Ugh I change my mind every few hours whether I am getting the Note 4 or the LG G3.

Last night I was 100% G3, now I'm leaning towards Note 4.

I'm coming from a Galaxy S4 and both will be an upgrade in screen size. The only thing that turns me off about the Note 4 is the size, but Its not much bigger than the G3. So for a phone thats just a hair bigger you get that stylus. Ugh. I dont know.

You are better off with a TouchWiz based rom with a custom launcher. CM rom lost all of the Samsung additional features, which amount to 30-40% of the function.

What's the point of getting a Note if you can not run split screen multi app smoothly?

You are better off with a TouchWiz based rom with a custom launcher. CM rom lost all of the Samsung additional features, which amount to 30-40% of the function.

What's the point of getting a Note if you can not run split screen multi app smoothly?

To have a small sketchpad that you can use anywhere. I know that will never be the common answer, but that's the primary reason I was ever interested in a Note. But being unwilling to put up with Touchwiz again and tired of the inconsistent nature of ROMs, I guess I'm just going to have to start getting used to walking around with a man-purse.

clem84

Gold Member
At what point will they feel that upping the res is overkill. You could argue that 1080p for a phone the size of a Note is a bit much. I mean, I can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p videos on my note 3. 1440p? That's a little ridiculous. Those 1440p screens won't come cheap. Maybe they could have put that money somewhere else... Faster CPU? More RAM?

Stock (yes there are elements of touchwiz I like) + root (to debloat and other shit) + Xposed + Nova = my equivalent of perfect custom rom
I have Nova running on top of TouchWiz.

What does all of this mean, what are the results like, and how do I do it?

I don't actually use the stylus or any of the multitasking stuff. I got this phone strictly for the screen size and Micro SD support.

I miss my nexus phone. So much nicer. I love the bigger screen for everything though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom