• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown |OT| Buddhists Too Much Damage!

Yeah I quite enjoy it but I stopped playing because I couldn't find a match online, I didn't know they updated it, maybe I'll give it another shot tonight.
Yeah, it was a few days ago. I did a vid checking it out, you can compare it to my previous to see how much it's been improved.

However, the game still has noticeable input lag online (at least every match isn't a slideshow at times), and in my first 2 matches I got paired with 1 and 2 bar connections despite my settings being set to 3 and above.

Last edited:

Pantz

I returned to Dead or Alive 6 for a bit to check out new costumes and I must say that Samurai Shodown has improved my skill even in other fighting games like DOA. I feel like I can take on any fighting game now.

I returned to Dead or Alive 6 for a bit to check out new costumes and I must say that Samurai Shodown has improved my skill even in other fighting games like DOA. I feel like I can take on any fighting game now.
It's an excellent game for helping improve fundamentals like spacing and punishing. I just wish online was more populated. If I could get games consistently, I'd be playing so much more.

Nymphae

Banned
Samurai Shodown is currently discounted almost 40 percent on Amazon; Rimururu to be playable at EVO 2019

Amazon is running a special coupon offer for Samurai Shodown that lowers the price even further than its $50 listing price on the site bringing it down nearly 40 percent off of its launch point — making it a potentially great deal for those keeping an eye on the title's progress.

Using an automatic coupon on Amazon will bring the total price of Samurai Shodown down an additional $12.45 to only $37.49 total which is probably going to be hard to beat until we hit Black Friday deals this November.

On top of that, SNK announced that SamSho's first DLC character in Rimururu will be playable at EVO 2019 before her scheduled release later in August.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
haven't decide my main yet , am torn between Haomaro & Galford ?

Both seem like very solid choices, people are placing Haohmaru pretty high up on their tier lists, very well rounded character, and Galford is placing respectably as well. He retains a lot of his moves even when disarmed, and just has good tools, the fireball, teleport slash, Poppy moves.

kunonabi

Yeah, cant go wrong with either of them. In still waiting on my friend to pick his main so I can settle on someone while i wait for Sogetsu.

Nymphae

Banned
Top 8 from the recent SNK Official Tournament (via Eventhubs)

PCbtlS2.png

I don't find mirror matches fun to watch really, and a whole tournament of them next week is going to be ridiculous. There'll be some variety (Tam Tam) but I bet this is indicative of how it plays out.

Top 8 from the recent SNK Official Tournament (via Eventhubs)

PCbtlS2.png

I don't find mirror matches fun to watch really, and a whole tournament of them next week is going to be ridiculous. There'll be some variety (Tam Tam) but I bet this is indicative of how it plays out.
Not a huge surprise, though. The game just came out. Not much time to suss out the meta and so players are going to flock to "top-tier" characters early on.

Nymphae

Banned
Not a huge surprise, though. The game just came out. Not much time to suss out the meta and so players are going to flock to "top-tier" characters early on.

I expected a little more variety honestly, no it's not surprising that pros are going to make top tier picks, but it's surprising to me how narrow the top tier here appears to be, I don't think the meta is all that deep here.

I expected a little more variety honestly, no it's not surprising that pros are going to make top tier picks, but it's surprising to me how narrow the top tier here appears to be, I don't think the meta is all that deep here.
My point is that the meta isn't going to be all that deep one month after release. Any characters that appear to be early contenders for top-tier are going to attract a disproportionate number of players, and the effect will be exponential i.e. the top-tier characters get more people playing them, which means more lab time, which means more tech being discovered and introduced, which snowballs the popularity of said character.

Hopefully the performance at EVO will show some variety, but I saw the same thing happen with GG Xrd -Sign- (Elphelt) and again in Revelator (Johnny).

Enjay

Banned
This game is pretty stiff and boring compared to every other fighter. It's almost like divekick in a way. I don't see time being too kind to it.

Nymphae

Banned
I tried getting matches during Evo, nothing. Like literally nothing, it can't bring the "UNABLE TO FIND ROOM" notification fast enough.

I'm just trying to find any Team battle match in the world, at any connection strength, and it doesn't even hang for a single second trying to look, it immediately returns no results.

I have stopped playing this pretty much entirely because the netcode is still hot garbage. Which is a shame because I love it.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Read the stuff above is incredibly disappointing. I was really loving the look and vibe of it. Plus I was a big fan of the originals as a kid, just sad to read that this didn't quite get as much attention as it deserved. :(

Hopefully things will be improved via updates/patches. Still planning to nab the PC version at this point.

Nymphae

Banned
Rimururu now available as DLC in Samurai Shodown

8-rimururu-now-available-samurai-shodown.jpg

The new character is free for those who already own SamSho's Season Pass, but Rimururu's standalone price comes out to $5.99 for players looking to pick her up individually. Now that the free period to pick up the Season Pass is over it has gone up to its regular price of $19.99.

Samurai Shodown's next DLC character will be free for everyone regardless of whether or not they own the Season Pass with Shizumaru Hisame in September. Basara will pick things back up in October followed by Kazuki Kazama in November and Wan-Fu closing things out in December — making that a character every month in 2019 instead of two months as per the original plan.

Nymphae

Banned
Oh god what have they done to my girl charlotte :messenger_loudly_crying: looks horrible

What don't you like? I think the character looks pretty good. James Chen was angry about them "tarting her up", but I don't think it's too far in that direction really. Then again James Chen is always bitching about how his main Cammy should wear pants.

kunonabi

What don't you like? I think the character looks pretty good. James Chen was angry about them "tarting her up", but I don't think it's too far in that direction really. Then again James Chen is always bitching about how his main Cammy should wear pants.

Does he complain about her awful boob job in SFV? If not, I don't care what he has to say about pants or Charlotte.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Does he complain about her awful boob job in SFV? If not, I don't care what he has to say about pants or Charlotte. I

I haven't heard him comment on her tits no, but I'm sure he would prefer if she taped them down and wore a baggy trenchcoat or something.

Nymphae

Banned
I think it's really dumb that they split the character selection screen into two pages for the new additional characters. I've never seen a multi page character select screen, not sure why they couldn't just put them on all the same screen.

Nymphae

Banned
Samurai Shodown Version 1.11 update nerfs Genjuro plus buffs Shiki, Kyoshiro, Darli and many others for first big balance rework

Changed and Improved Features
• Balances to character interactions during battle have been made.
• Players are now returned to their previous mode after exiting a Ranked Match.
• Features in Casual Match lobbies have been changed.
• Changed so the battle begins when both players press OK when in their respective seats. (Single Match only)
• Altered so that players are not automatically ejected from their seats after a match ends. (Single Match only)
• Can now select between "Watch while waiting" and "Watch only" when in the spectator seats. (Single Match only)
• The option to rematch will be enabled if there are no other players waiting. (Single Match only)
• Character intros and win poses are now skippable. (Win poses can also now be skipped even in offline matches.)
• For players making the lobby, you can now choose the stage right from the lobby menu screen.
• Fixed other minor issues and features.

Universal Character Changes
Advancing Attacks
• Resolved an issue where players couldn't perform a Surprise Attack or Dodge immediately after an Advancing Attack.

Dodging
• Reduced recovery frames.

Countering
• Increased recovery frames.Can now be punished as a counter-hit.

Rage Explosion
• Extended the hitbox upwards.

Guard Break
• Adjusted so all characters travel nearly the same distance when hit. Changed the hurtbox to be the same as during knockback after taking damage.

Being Countered
• Changed the hurtbox to be the same as during knockback after taking damage.

Being Countered (Heavy)
• Altered the distance the weapon flies.

On Block

Command Inputs
• Adjusted the input command timings for →↓↘ and ←↓↙.

Weapon Flipping Technique
• Altered the direction the weapon flies.

Lightning Blade
• All characters now travel the same length from start to finish during their Lightning Blade attack.

Yoshitora
Jumping Heavy Slash
• No longer crosses up.
• Shrank the lower portion of the hitbox for the first attack.

Pink Blossoms (Heavy)
• No longer hits opponents on the ground.

Camellias (Light, Medium, Heavy)
• Hitstun now triggers when projectile hits the guard point.

Moonflower
• Shrank the Command Grab hitbox.
• Increased recovery frames.
aba.gif

kunonabi

It's really nice to see SNK take the time and put out some quality balance tweaks in a timely fashion instead of just being all Capcom about it. Genjuro is in a good place now they didnt go too nuts on him. Yoshitora and Galford definitely got hit the hardest.

Bottom tier got helped out immensely although I still think it isnt enough for Wu since her traps are still garbage.

Samurai Shodown Version 1.11 update nerfs Genjuro plus buffs Shiki, Kyoshiro, Darli and many others for first big balance rework

Changed and Improved Features
• Players are now returned to their previous mode after exiting a Ranked Match.
• Features in Casual Match lobbies have been changed.
• Changed so the battle begins when both players press OK when in their respective seats. (Single Match only)
• Altered so that players are not automatically ejected from their seats after a match ends. (Single Match only)
• Can now select between "Watch while waiting" and "Watch only" when in the spectator seats. (Single Match only)
• The option to rematch will be enabled if there are no other players waiting. (Single Match only)
• Character intros and win poses are now skippable. (Win poses can also now be skipped even in offline matches.)
• For players making the lobby, you can now choose the stage right from the lobby menu screen.

Universal Character Changes
Advancing Attacks
• Resolved an issue where players couldn't perform a Surprise Attack or Dodge immediately after an Advancing Attack.

Dodging

Countering
• Increased recovery frames.Can now be punished as a counter-hit.

Rage Explosion
• Extended the hitbox upwards.

Guard Break
• Adjusted so all characters travel nearly the same distance when hit. Changed the hurtbox to be the same as during knockback after taking damage.

Being Countered

Being Countered (Heavy)
• Altered the distance the weapon flies.

On Block

Command Inputs
• Adjusted the input command timings for →↓↘ and ←↓↙.

Weapon Flipping Technique
• Altered the direction the weapon flies.

Lightning Blade
• All characters now travel the same length from start to finish during their Lightning Blade attack.
Thanks for posting the patch notes.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can you still block all of Shiki's attacks by crouching?

Nymphae

Banned
I forgot to make a post when the newest free DLC character was released. I still haven't even tried him. Online has been busted every time I try to play, so this game has been shelved for a while. Damn shame because I want to play this a lot.

Shizumaru Hisame now available for free in Samurai Shodown, Version 1.20 patch notes released

10_shizumaru01.jpg

Also this news today:

Samurai Shodown to receive new crossover costumes with Puzzle and Dragons next week perhaps signaling Basara's release

Hit up the link for the images

xhUtjrP.png

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Samurai Shodown Version 1.30 patch notes released including buffs for Rimururu, Wu-Ruixiang, Hanzo and others

SNK has released the full patch notes for Samurai Shodown's Version 1.30 update which will include some nice buffs for Rimururu, Wu-Ruixiang, Hanzo and even the main boy Haohmaru.

Changed / Improved Features
• A new DLC character was added.

Countering / Blade Catching
• Resolved an issue where at times it was possible to counter / blade catch an attack coming from behind.

Haohmaru
Standing Far Light Slash
• Reduced recovery frames

Standing Far Heavy Slash
• Hastened attack startup.

Jumping Heavy Slash
• Resolved an issue where it was difficult to hit opponents at the edge of the screen.

Advancing Light Slash
• Increased opponent knockback duration on hit.

Nakoruru
Crouching Medium Slash
• Altered so that upon block the player character enters a recoil state.

Hanzo
Jumping Heavy Slash
• Resolved an issue where it was difficult to hit opponents at the edge of the screen

Standing (Holding Forward) Kick

Advancing Kick
• Increased attack frames
• Attack now behaves the same regardless if a weapon is held or not

Ninja Exploding Dragon (Light, Medium, Heavy)
• Blast Reduced recovery frames.

Ninja Exploding Dragon Blast (During Max Rage)
• Increased time where this attack can be followed-up with another attack.

Ninja Mon Dance (Light, Heavy)
• Now has the same recovery frames as a normal jump upon landing regardless if one attacks or not.

Galford
Jumping Heavy Slash
• Resolved an issue where it was difficult to hit opponents at the edge of the screen.

Standing Kick
• Shortened the top of the hurtbox.

Advancing Kick
• Increased attack frames.

Rush Dog
• Hastened attack startup

Rush Dog (During Max Rage)
• Increased damage.

Overhead Crash
• Increased damage

Kyoshiro
Dance of Fire (Light, Medium, Heavy)
• Changed so that the hitbox doesn't disappear when trading with an opponent's projectile.

Twisting Heavens (Light, Medium, Heavy)
• Added a lower hitbox which triggers on first attack frame.

Flesh and Blood Fandango
• Increased opponent down time on hit.

Tam Tam
Ahau Teotihuacan
• Resolved an issue where, for a brief moment, Tam Tam was registered as "in-air" even after landing.

Genjuro
Reverse Five Flash Rip
• Resolved an issue where opponent's are knocked out of Genjuro's Reverse Five Flash Rip when hit by Cherry Blossom Slice during the attack animation.

Earthquake
Standing Far Heavy Slash
• Expanded hitbox of third attack backwards.

Fat Breath (light, medium, heavy)
• Changed so that the hitbox doesn't disappear when trading with an opponent's projectile.

Yoshitora
Advancing Medium Slash
• Resolved an issue where the hitbox would disappear mid attack.

Yashamaru
Crouching Far Heavy Slash

Darli Dagger
Standing Kick
• Increased opponent knockback duration on hit
• Increased opponent recovery frames on block.

Wu Ruixiang
Standing Far Light Slash
• Expanded the hitbox forward and upwards.

Standing Far Medium Slash
Crouching Close Heavy Slash
Crouching Far Heavy Slash
Jumping Light Slash
Jumping Medium Slash

Standing Punch
• Expanded the hitbox downwards

Crouching Punch

Jumping Punch

Advancing Punch
• Expanded the hitbox downwards.

Standing Kick
• Increased opponent recovery frames on block.

Black Tortoise Torrent (Medium)
• Expanded the hitbox downwards

Vermilion Bird Blaze (Light, Medium, Heavy, During Max Rage)

Kirin Earthen Rampage
• Increased hitbox on a successful counter

Rimururu
Standing Far Light Slash
Standing Far Heavy Slash

Crouching Light Slash
• Increased attack frames.

Crouching Medium Slash
• Expanded hitbox forward.

Advancing Light Slash
• Now cancellable

Advancing Kick
• Hastened attack startup on second attack
• Can now cancel into Konru Shiraru during the rebound animation after the second hit.
• Reduced recovery frames (without weapon).

Konril Nonril
Konril Nonril (During Max Rage)
Rupu Tum (Light)
• Increased damage.

Rupu Tum (Medium)
• Increased damage.
• Expanded hitbox forward

Rupu Tum (Heavy)
• Increased damage.
• Expanded hitbox forward.
• Opponent now reacts the same as when hit by a crouching heavy slash.

Rupu Kuare・Nishi (light, medium)
• When an opponent guards between startup and the moment before the attack begins, their guard pose would be triggered and they wouldn't be able to move. This has been changed to match the weapon-equipped version where their guard pose would not be triggered.

Rupu Kuare・Tu Tu
• Decreased opponent knockback duration on hit.
• Reduced opponent recovery frames on block.

Upun Orb (Light, Medium, Heavy)
• Changed so that it no longer hits from behind.

Shizumaru
Counter
• Resolved an issue when, in the case where a player is unarmed (by performing a Mist Blast, etc.), they could not cancel a kick into a counter even when the weapon returns.

Advancing Light Slash
• Resolved an issue where an opponent's recovery frames from blocking this attack were longer compared to blocking the same attack by a different character

May Shower Slice
• Resolved an issue with Shizumaru's model when an opponent is chipped to death at the edge of the screen.

Rains of Time
• Resolved an issue where Shizumaru will continue jumping on the opponent even after the time is up

Crazy Downpour
• Charging now resets whenever the player Rage Explodes or performs a Lightning Blade attack.
• Note: The intention was there to be a trade-off between Rage Bursting / Lightning Blades and charging Crazy Downpour by disabling the kick button as a way of charging. However, players were able to hold both a slash and the kick button to circumvent this, and so now the charge will automatically reset instead.
• Resolved an issue where the 2nd tier of this attack would trigger on release before the appropriate amount of time had passed

Demon Memory: Heaven's Tears
• Resolved an issue where characters weren't locked in place for this attack during certain conditions.

Nymphae

Banned
Is this game dead?

I wouldn't say so, it's very active in tournaments and SNK has been amazing with their support. Online doesn't seem to have ideal netcode, hence me not playing it much, but the game is solid as fuck and everyone who is playing it seems to love it.

Last edited:

BarmyDodger

Neo Member
I wouldn't say so, it's very active in tournaments and SNK has been amazing with their support. Online doesn't seem to have ideal netcode, hence me not playing it much, but the game is solid as fuck and everyone who is playing is seems to love it.
That's the thing with me and fighting games these days since I don't really have a local scene. If online is bad I just can't play the game.

kunonabi

Online isn't great. You can go long stretches without matches and the matchmaking in general is pretty poor. I'd probably still take it over SFV due to the lack of cheating and the more consistent connections though.

Pretty nice patch especially for Wu. It seems like they've realized that she isn't a zoner and upgraded her normals accordingly. My boy Kyoshiro could have used a bit more juice as two of the buffs are kind of pointless but the WFT buff was absolutely needed.

Nymphae

Banned
I'd probably still take it over SFV due to the lack of cheating and the more consistent connections though.

I still don't get this, every time I've ever tried to play SFV, I got a match in under a minute. Lag has been absolutely minimal and I've only noticed it a handful of times.

SS, I literally haven't even been able to find a match with ANY parameters for months.

kunonabi

I mean the matches run better instead of getting unplayable 4 bar matches like you do in sfv. Happens to me constantly. My matches with Mexican players in sfv are basically unplayable where SS I can play anybody from anywhere with a reasonable results. SS is absolutely a ghost town especially in ranked.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Whoops I meant to post in this thread the other day about the DLC characters.

Here's the top 8 from Canada Cup this past weekend:

I was really enjoying the matches, seeing a bit more variety it feels like, though there does seem to be a lot of Haomaru.

Top Bottom