• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Francisco has to Decide Between $1 Billion in Funding or Sanctuary City Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Putting Donald Trump's promise to pull Federal funding from sanctuary cities into perspective, San Francisco alone stands to lose $1 billion in funding if it does not drop its sanctuary city status.

Meanwhile, city officials are concerned about the more than $1 billion in annual federal funding that San Francisco would lose if Trump makes good on his promise to cancel all federal support for sanctuary cities.

Source:
http://www.sfexaminer.com/trumps-triumph-puts-sfs-immigrant-families-federal-funding-line/

SF has not said what it is going to do.

Meanwhile, Seattle's mayor has gone on the record as stating that Seattle has no intention of giving up its sanctuary city status and will let the Feds withhold funding if Trump decides to do so.

Seattle will remain a sanctuary city for undocumented immigrants despite Donald Trump’s election as president, even if that means losing federal funding, Mayor Ed Murray promised a large crowd gathered inside City Hall on Wednesday.

The city is one of many with policies to protect undocumented people, and before the rally Murray called standing by that “the most American thing we could possibly do.”

Source:
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...migrants-despite-trump-presidency-mayor-says/

JeTmAn81

I haven't been familiar with sanctuary cities previously. They turn a blind eye to federal immigration law, correct? Why is this a good thing?

Damaniel

Banned
I haven't been familiar with sanctuary cities previously. They turn a blind eye to federal immigration law, correct? Why is this a good thing?

There are far bigger problems out there than trying to round up people who are generally good and trying to make a better life for themselves.

antonz

Have no issue in concept with Sanctuary cities. People here even illegally should feel safe in the ability to call the police when in danger etc.

The problem is the concept of Sanctuary Cities have been perverted to protecting even convicted criminals.

allan-bh

Have no issue in concept with Sanctuary cities. People here even illegally should feel safe in the ability to call the police when in danger etc.

The problem is the concept of Sanctuary Cities have been perverted to protecting even convicted criminals.

I find very strange, the country has a law and some cities simply chosen to ignore.

If there is a legal process to enter on U.S. territory, all public forces should work to ensure that will be respected.

gdt

Is that second paragraph actually true? Is there a study on this?

Tagyhag

I find very strange, the country has a law and some cities simply chosen to ignore.

If there is a legal process to enter on U.S. territory, all public forces should work to ensure that will be respected.

Some governors have more empathy for humans than others.

Crazy am I right?

Madness

Cities will capitulate first. No way they can withstand losing federal funding. Millions of public sector workers, infrastructure requires it to run. They would have no legal leg to stand on since they are in violation of US federal laws/immigration laws. Sad as it is to say.

The Llama

Curious what'll happen here in Philadelphia. Just did a little googling and we apparently received ~$340m in federal funding. Apparently our annual budget is like $8.5b, so losing that would be significant but maybe not devastating. Who knows...

gdt

Okay, why are people for sanctuary cities? I have a limited understanding of what they are and what they are trying to do, so bear with me.

Illegal immigrant gets beat up by her husband. Does she call the cops? If she's scared of being deported she probably doesn't and has to suffer under that.

Just a small example that I've actually dealt with personally.

Gallbaro

Banned
They could save that much overnight but not being a municipality run by idiots.

Drop the hugely ineffective non-profit support structure they have.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Seattle: Bless you. Hope they're not alone.

allan-bh

Some governors have more empathy for humans than others.

Crazy am I right?

It's a federal law, must be obeid.

If it's a good or bad law I guess depends of the point of view, but the law exists. Is kinda anarchy simply refuse to comply and nothing happens, after all it's "United States".

The battle is joined. There are over 30 sanctuary cities in the US, I believe. Let's see who else stands up, and for how long. Happy to see Seattle step across the line first and hope Portland will soon follow.

norm9

If it's a good or bad law I guess depends of the point of view, but the law exists. Is kinda anarchy simply refuse to comply and nothing happens.

It gets murky when city/state and federal laws clash. I never know which one is supposed to be enforced, and I don't think the cities do either.

I do believe any and all churches are sanctuaries too.

Tagyhag

If it's a good or bad law I guess depends of the point of view, but the law exists. Is kinda anarchy simply refuse to comply and nothing happens.

Hey it's easy to see it as "The law's the law" but some of us, especially the ones that can put a face on the person who's breaking the law have an easier time ignoring it.

Sort of like, if a father got in trouble because he stole some bread to feed his starving family, some people will see the father as a rulebreaker who should be punished along with his family, others will see him as someone who would do anything so his family would survive.

Afrikan

I've lived in San Francisco since 1984.

I have NO IDEA what the San Francisco of today will decide to do. I know what the one I grew up in would do.

t26

You can look up the story of Adam Crapser to see why we have to protect convicted criminals.

allan-bh

It gets murky when city/state and federal laws clash. I never know which one is supposed to be enforced, and I don't think the cities do either.

Supremacy Clause on Constitution says that the federal law prevails. People can follow the state law, but federal government has the power to stop.

Obama chose not enforce the federal law in this case.

DOWN

Banned
I'm coming to understand why people are for sanctuary cities in this thread, but we have to keep it to a limited number, no? We can't just not enforce immigration law, so people aren't for that nationwide right? It's sort of a bandaid as we wait for a better proper immigration channels?

DOWN

Banned

Federal is always the law.

Some states choose to ignore it or put conflicting laws in place and they shouldn't, but sometimes they get away with not being stopped by the federal government

Mortemis

Banned
Proud of my city. This is such a big shit storm that's picking up steam the more we realize what we're about to get into.

Syriel

If it's a good or bad law I guess depends of the point of view, but the law exists. Is kinda anarchy simply refuse to comply and nothing happens, after all it's "United States".

Marijuana legislation says hi!

There are a number of laws (both Federal and State) on the books that are ignored for various reasons. They could be outdated, it could be lack of funding, it could be political reasons, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom