• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Francisco has to Decide Between $1 Billion in Funding or Sanctuary City Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sanctuary cities should set up a direct funding system. I'm half serious here - why not crowd funding for alternatives to federal funding, if the federal government has gone to shit? Stuff like this, sidelining shitty government, is the promise of the networked world.

Are sanctuary cities actually illegal? Do local law enforcement agencies actually break any actual federal statutes by refusing to investigate people's immigration status or provide official assistance to immigration officers?

Chumly

Are sanctuary cities actually illegal? Do local law enforcement agencies actually break any actual federal statutes by refusing to investigate people's immigration status or provide official assistance to immigration officers?
Honestly I don't think there is a federal law in place that forces cities to cooperate. Basically they are just saying there are not going to help the Feds do there job and that is not a crime.

Back to my earlier point. The Supreme Court said it was illegal for the federal government to use federal funds to coerce states into doing something (Medicaid expansion). I see this as something similar. The city is already entitled to that money for whatever reason. You can't just withhold it because you want them to do something else.

Human decency.

Indeed. Funny how some people will do their utmost to ignore something so basic.

I guess we have a basic difference of opinion then. IMO providing funds for such programs is not - and should not - be up to private companies, but to the federal and state governments.

I donate my time and money to help people and noble causes every year. I would not invest in any company that spends that amount of money on social and humanist programs. I do like and expect companies to reach out to communities and provide some social services, but not in the $1B range, not even 1/10th of that.

Woorloog

Banned
I guess we have a basic difference of opinion then. IMO providing funds for such programs is not - and should not - be up to private companies, but to the federal and state governments.

I donate my time and money to help people and noble causes every year. I would not invest in any company that spends that amount of money on social and humanist programs. I do like and expect companies to reach out to communities and provide some social services, but not in the $1B range, not even 1/10th of that.

You put a price on human life?

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Bay area GDP is something like 760 billion no? Federal funding is to help support the fact that the bay and Valley make money for the US. Don't see him making good on this threat. And even if he did, SF would take the money and still be a sanctuary. No one actually cared about weed laws when it was illegal here. We keep creating new accountability mechanisms here for law enforcement that put them in a position to not enforce things we all agree on here.

Though I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I haven't been familiar with sanctuary cities previously. They turn a blind eye to federal immigration law, correct? Why is this a good thing?

Because immigrants pay taxes and many work the jobs other people are too proud to do. If all the immigrants in the USA were to disappear tomorrow, America would be wrecked

I'm saying it is not a private entity's responsibility.

You're for single payer healthcare yes?

Kill3r7

Marijuana legislation says hi!

There are a number of laws (both Federal and State) on the books that are ignored for various reasons. They could be outdated, it could be lack of funding, it could be political reasons, etc.

As long as the state is not using federal funding to promote or aid in the commission of the activity they are fine, ie steer clear of the commerce clause.

[With respect to marijuana, the main issues involved are] banking, federal taxes and employment. For all three subject matters, the general consensus is federal prohibition trumps state legalization. With regard to banking, marijuana money transfers cannot be effectuated through credit card companies or debit networks, and revenues obtained by marijuana enterprises cannot be stored in FDIC-insured banks. In regard to taxes, among other things, marijuana businesses cannot deduct business expenses for federal tax purposes. And, with regard to employment for national employers, especially those with government contracts and zero-tolerance drug policies, it appears that employers cannot be punished for enforcing their drug policies even if they prohibit state-sanctioned marijuana use. - http://www.law360.com/articles/786917/state-legislation-vs-federal-prohibition-of-marijuana

Mark L

The dark irony here, of course, is that the West Coast is the Federal Government's source of a lot of income. So the Feds are taking money from California, then telling them that they may graciously have some of it back if they do their bidding.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Serious question....

Wouldn't a better policy be (instead of rounding up illegal immigrants and deporting them) to give undocumented peoples an expedited path to citizenship in order to integrate them into society faster (and with that comes paying taxes, civic duty, etc).

Or am I over-simplifying things?

Yes, that would be the superior policy in regards to costs, crime, and basic human rights. It goes against some conservative principles though, because some Americans think they will not be able to compete with these immigrants in the jobs marketplace, and general xenophobic fears over crime.

Kill3r7

The dark irony here, of course, is that the West Coast is the Federal Government's source of a lot of income. So the Feds are taking money from California, then telling them that they may graciously have some of it back if they do their bidding.

That's how the federal government has worked since its inception.

Izayoi

Banned
Representing Seattle, here.

I think Murray means well, most of the time... This is one of those times.

Good on ya, duder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom