• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Francisco has to Decide Between $1 Billion in Funding or Sanctuary City Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan-bh

Hey it's easy to see it as "The law's the law" but some of us, especially the ones that can put a face on the person who's breaking the law have an easier time ignoring it.

Sort of like, if a father got in trouble because he stole some bread to feed his starving family, some people will see the father as a rulebreaker who should be punished along with his family, others will see him as someone who would do anything so his family would survive.

In my country the penal code actually doesn't punish the father in a situation like this, don't know how works in U.S.

But ilegal immigration is another subject and not all immigrants are poor people that are desperate for a better live and are worthy of piety. I live in Latin America and I know that several people go to United States to gain more money, but they aren't desperate here.

DOWN

Banned
Marijuana legislation says hi!

There are a number of laws (both Federal and State) on the books that are ignored for various reasons. They could be outdated, it could be lack of funding, it could be political reasons, etc.
That's an example of ignoring federal law. Doesn't mean that if it was hashed out, people wouldn't acknowledge the existence of the higher federal law. The federal law is the one that actually has final say on what the laws are, and with marijuana states have chosen to ignore that in a sense (which many think is kind of fine in this case as a means of pushing federal law where it should go).

Kalentan

You know... If I don't move to Canada or something. Seattle doesn't sound bad. Granted I've wanted to actually move there for a while now but still..

Go Seattle.

Illegal immigrant gets beat up by her husband. Does she call the cops? If she's scared of being deported she probably doesn't and has to suffer under that.

Just a small example that I've actually dealt with personally.

So why do people on the right say they harbor illegal criminals?

An independent New California Republic.

Lol

Ask google and facebook to fund the 1 billion.

Why are they not pulling any weight.

As a (relatively small) shareholder of both GOOG and FB, hell no.

Syriel

That's an example of ignoring federal law. Doesn't mean that if it was hashed out, people wouldn't acknowledge the existence of the higher federal law. The federal law is the one that actually has final say on what the laws are, and with marijuana states have chosen to ignore that in a sense (which many think is kind of fine in this case as a means of pushing federal law where it should go).

Which is the same reasoning used for sanctuary cities.

The rationale for justification is the same as that used by State's rights advocates.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
God bless you, Seattle.

Ed Murray is a clown though. Hard to tell if he's well meaning and incompetent or in bed with developers and pretending to be liberal. He has both increased homelessness and made their plight worse by green lighting lots of half million dollar condos and emptying the homeless camps into random parts of the city all in the name of "helping." it's at crisis point and he's completely ignoring the many underlying issues. If you complain you're a nazi who hates the "homeless" which is now a label for dozens of serious issues.

Chumly

On what grounds? The cities are breaking the law.
Federal funds are unrelated to the laws and you can't just unilaterally withhold the funding?

stuff like this should be going through court on whether they are breaking the law and should be required to help the federal government

Federal funds are unrelated to the laws and you can't just unilaterally withhold the funding?

stuff like this should be going through court on whether they are breaking the law and should be required to help the federal government

Wrong. Seattle is breaking the law.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Trump on the brink of successfully dividing communities already. How sad. Even if a city retains sanctuary status, cutbacks from the lack of funding will only demonise immigrants further.

Living up to the username, I see.

It won't it on these cities. It will demonize Trump et Al.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I had that optimism.

Big liberal cities are the bastion of Democrat ideals.

It isn't idealism it is fact. Look at Texas; San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Dallas.

They all lean democratic in a largely Republican state. Those are the strongholds.

The battles come from the more rural areas.

Simmins

It's a federal law, must be obeid.

If it's a good or bad law I guess depends of the point of view, but the law exists. Is kinda anarchy simply refuse to comply and nothing happens, after all it's "United States".

Marijuana is still a Schedule 1 drug and thus even in the states where it is legal, is Federally Illegal, so I suppose if the government wanted to halt federal funding of Marijuana states, because of it's illegal status you would agree then that the laws the states voted on are null and void since at a federal level it's illegal.

Same reasoning, undocumented immigration is illegal at a federal level, but some cities voted and made policy decisions that can provide certain protections for undocumented immigrants.

Decider

Big liberal cities are the bastion of Democrat ideals.

It isn't idealism it is fact. Look at Texas; San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Dallas.

They all lean democratic in a largely Republican state. Those are the strongholds.

The battles come from the more rural areas.
Pulling a billion dollars of funding can change some people's ideals rather quickly.

Also- I live in London, in an area which I also considered to be a liberal stronghold. This did not stop racial abuse from starting after our referendum result. I hope that this doesn't happen in the US too, particularly in areas like SF that are already struggling with social and economic divides.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Lol, defunding sanctuary cities sounds like it would be great for the economy. Good luck with that!

Toki767

Kind of have the feeling if push came to shove, San Francisco would give in and go with the funding. Mostly because the city is apparently always out of money or something.

Guevara

Sanctuary cities literally harbor criminals. If their crime is simply illegal immigration, I understand, but often it is not.

Kathryn Steinle's story is like the worst case scenario; she moved to San Francisco and was walking along the Embarcadero with her parents when she was shot:

A Mexican national who is in the country illegally, he has told news media that he was in San Francisco seeking work — a restaurant, landscaping or construction job. In a KGO-TV interview from jail after Steinle's death, he indicated that he went to San Francisco in part because of its liberal laws that made it easier for immigrants without documents to fly under the radar.

Before his arrest, Lopez-Sanchez had been convicted of seven felonies and been deported five times. His felonies and deportations were mostly for narcotics charges, Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials confirmed.​

http://www.latimes.com/local/califo...tuary-kathryn-steinle-20150723-htmlstory.html

GuyKazama

Marijuana is still a Schedule 1 drug and thus even in the states where it is legal, is Federally Illegal, so I suppose if the government wanted to halt federal funding of Marijuana states, because of it's illegal status you would agree then that the laws the states voted on are null and void since at a federal level it's illegal.

Same reasoning, undocumented immigration is illegal at a federal level, but some cities voted and made policy decisions that can provide certain protections for undocumented immigrants.

This is true, but it is entirely up to the executive branch to enforce the federal laws. That is their role in the government. If trump wants to enforce the marjuana laws (doubtful), then he can. Obama didn't, which is why it is tolerated.

I'm not as worried about wealthy cities like Seattle or San Francisco as much with this particular piece of legislation. It's already impoverished cities that are going to be destroyed by this particularly garbage policy.

Cidd

I'm honestly thinking of moving to Seattle I've been deliberating on it for a while now. I know it's expensive to live there but I'm sick and tired of living in south FL and with a Trump presidency, now is the best time to gtfo of FL.

ColdPizza

Banned
Serious question....

Wouldn't a better policy be (instead of rounding up illegal immigrants and deporting them) to give undocumented peoples an expedited path to citizenship in order to integrate them into society faster (and with that comes paying taxes, civic duty, etc).

Or am I over-simplifying things?

De Blasio also came out and defended NYC as a Sanctuary City as well. He made a speech last night that said they'd rather turn down the federal funding than capitulate (I can't find a link to it but it was on the news). We'll see what happens...

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Can we withdraw funding to federal govt if they withdraw our? I am pretty sure the major cities in California pay more than they receive.

Cidd

Serious question....

Wouldn't a better policy be (instead of rounding up illegal immigrants and deporting them) to give undocumented peoples an expedited path to citizenship in order to integrate them into society faster (and with that comes paying taxes, civic duty, etc).

Or am I over-simplifying things?

Nah, That makes too much sense, that's not the "AMERICAN" way. You can thank the GOP for that.

gdt

Sanctuary cities literally harbor criminals. If their crime is simply illegal immigration, I understand, but often it is not.

Kathryn Steinle's story is like the worst case scenario; she moved to San Francisco and was walking along the Embarcadero with her parents when she was shot:

A Mexican national who is in the country illegally, he has told news media that he was in San Francisco seeking work — a restaurant, landscaping or construction job. In a KGO-TV interview from jail after Steinle's death, he indicated that he went to San Francisco in part because of its liberal laws that made it easier for immigrants without documents to fly under the radar.

Before his arrest, Lopez-Sanchez had been convicted of seven felonies and been deported five times. His felonies and deportations were mostly for narcotics charges, Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials confirmed.​

http://www.latimes.com/local/califo...tuary-kathryn-steinle-20150723-htmlstory.html

Again, this is the same isolated incident that always gets brought up.

It's a horrific story, but is there an epidemic of this stuff going on across Sanctuary Cities?

At least it's not Maine's LePage, who threatened to yank Maine's Sanctuary status (there are many Somalian refugees in Maine) if Hillary won. Now he's super delighted. Just an awful governor. If you want to see what happens when a "Straight talking" racist demagogue takes over, take a look at Maine, it's a microcosm of TrumpNation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom