• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandra Bland Found Dead in TX Jail, Police Say Suicide, Family Disagrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idba

A police officers doesn't require whatever your definition of "need" is to ask someone they've pulled over to leave their car. You get pulled over for a traffic violation and get asked to leave your vehicle, you leave your vehicle. That's the law.

She escalated the situation and forced him to us force to get her to leave the vehicle. Does that mean she should be dead now? Of course not, but there's no need to make up tales about how she only found herself in this mess because of a power tripping cop.

The cop has to state the reason of arrest if asked. She asked and he ignored her.

Indicate

A police officers doesn't require whatever your definition of "need" is to ask someone they've pulled over to leave their car. You get pulled over for a traffic violation and get asked to leave your vehicle, you leave your vehicle. That's the law.

She escalated the situation and forced him to us force to get her to leave the vehicle. Does that mean she should be dead now? Of course not, but there's no need to make up tales about how she only found herself in this mess because of a power tripping cop.

He threatened to shoot her for not getting out of the car.

That's exactly what happened. His poor little ego got hurt, so he decided to take it out on her. Shitty officer, plain and simple.

Round and round we go. Nothing to see here, folks.

Satch

Banned

am pretty sure they dont even ask you to get out of the car for a traffic violation unless theyre planning to make an arrest, and if the person is under arrest the cop should be able to give a reason

every traffic stop ive ever been in, they say to stay in the car so they can go back to their own car and check license and registration from their own car

Zornack

He threatened to shoot her for not getting out of the car.

Wasn't it a taser?

The cop has to state the reason of arrest if asked. She asked and he ignored her.

Police aren't required to tell you why you're under arrested the second you ask them.

Round and round we go. Nothing to see here, folks.

Am I wrong?

am pretty sure they dont even ask you to get out of the car for a traffic violation unless theyre planning to make an arrest, and if the person is under arrest the cop should be able to give a reason

every traffic stop ive ever been in, they say to stay in the car so they can go back to their own car and check license and registration from their own car

This is wrong. Police are allowed to order you to leave your vehicle during a traffic stop.

TheJLC

Yeah.

No reason required for getting someone out of a car though. I can ask you out, if you fail to do so, you're still coming out. The law allows police to remove a person from a vehicle without reason if the stop is lawful.
Of course this has been beaten to death in this thread already.

Yeah.

No reason required for getting someone out of a car though. I can ask you out, if you fail to do so, you're still coming out. The law allows police to remove a person from a vehicle without reason if the stop is lawful.

And why do you think he eventually asked her out of the vehicle? For a legitimate reason, or because of sass, and do you think escalating it to that point was the right thing to do?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

It WAS a power tripping cop. That it's legal is the whole problem. Cops are allowed to escalate situation when there is no reason to. As you said, it's the law. Our law allows officers to flip their shit at the slightest offense to them without repercussion. This woman refused to put out her cigarette. This cop wouldn't stand for that and decided to escalate the situation for her daring to disrespect him.

People don't like getting pulled over, it's stressful for anyone. Being a smartass shouldn't give the cop the right to make the situation even worse. This cop escalated the situation because he is incompetent. Anyone who needlessly escalates a situation like that has no business being a police office.

Zornack

I never said that's when it started. Look back to my post in the last page.

But wouldn't you agree that if anything they both escalated the situation? She refused to comply with his orders then physically resisted his attempts to remove her from the vehicle. She took a routine traffic stop and turned into an arrest.

I don't even know why this is the focus of the thread. Either:

A: She committed suicide and personnel did not do what they should have given what information they had about her mental health and whatever protocol is.

B: She committed suicide and personnel did all they could with the information and protocol they had in place.

C: She was murdered.

TheJLC

And why do you think he eventually asked her out of the vehicle? For a legitimate reason, or because of sass, and do you think escalating it to that point was the right thing to do?
You don't need a reason, period. If the stop is lawful I can get you out of your car.

Why did this particular officer do it? Who knows. Maybe he was arresting her or took things personally. Or just wanted her out of the car. The issue isn't going to be why he took her out of the car. It is going to be his overall behavior and use of force to perform the arrest.

To people talking about the stop sign: as has been said, he told her he pulled her over for the signal.

To people saying this it wanted ticket revenue: he says at one point he was just going to give her a warning.

Now, a question; wasn't there something about extending traffic stops being unconstitutional? They were done. He had filled out the paperwork. All he had to do was give it to her. How is this not extending a traffic stop? Real question; I've heard a lot of half-statements elsewhere

To people talking about the stop sign: as has been said, he told her he pulled her over for the signal.

To people saying this it wanted ticket revenue: he says at one point he was just going to give her a warning.

Now, a question; wasn't there something about extending traffic stops being unconstitutional? They were done. He had filled out the paperwork. All he had to do was give it to her. How is this not extending a traffic stop? Real question; I've heard a lot of half-statements elsewhere
Come on now I Google'ed what you asked and had an answer in two seconds. That ruling only applied to officers extending the traffic stop to seek evidence of a crime unrelated to why that person was pulled over.

You don't need a reason, period. If the stop is lawful I can get you out of your car.

Why did this particular officer do it? Who knows. Maybe he was arresting her or took things personally. Or just wanted her out of the car. The issue isn't going to be why he took her out of the car. It is going to be his overall behavior and use of force to perform the arrest.

Bingo. His ego got bruised after he asked her to put out the cig, no concern of his really, and she essentially told him so. That's when it escalated to an out of the vehicle stop, even though it was being taking care of while she was still in the vehicle, as in the transcript, with her saying she was trying to sign the ticket. It wasn't going in that direction until he forced it, and that should matter. Yes, excessive force afterwards matters more, but a bruised ego escalating the demands really isn't hard to see.

All of that physicality, all that force, over a damn signal violation and some sass. It's real stupid.

Watching the video from the beginning he did just give the previous pull over a warning also. He even asks if she is okay before he sends her along her way. It almost seems the same could be said with Sandra yet her repsonse was a bit more agitating . It very well could of been a I'm giving you a warning ma'am . Unfortunelty that's not the way it ended .

Yes, I also saw these things today. Let me clarify: I'm asking for insight from some of the people who might be more informed if that will be called into question, or something similar. Because technically they should have been done. He had the paperwork. Why keep her there and make it worse? I ask because I can read this stuff but am not always sure of all the implications, particularly since it seems this will continue to be a high profile case.

Eta: this was to Tainted Giraffe, sorry!

The autopsy to be released tomorrow should be very interesting. Apparently she had thirty cuts on her wrists that were at least two weeks old. Combined with some of the other details that have trickled out, the previous suicide attempt baby pills, the large court debts, the dwi, the marijuana, the epilepsy, the failure of relatives to post the $500 bond and we are really getting a glimpse into quite a different person than was portrayed several days ago by the family. It makes you wonder if the family themselves were in denial about Ms. Blands personal struggles with mental health (and self medication?) and if that lack of mental health support contributed to her fragile state that couldn't withstand an abusive officer and jailing before cracking.

The autopsy to be released tomorrow should be very interesting. Apparently she had thirty cuts on her wrists that were at least two weeks old. Combined with some of the other details that have trickled out, the previous suicide attempt baby pills, the large court debts, the dwi, the marijuana, the epilepsy, the failure of relatives to post the $500 bond and we are really getting a glimpse into quite a different person than was portrayed several days ago by the family. It makes you wonder if the family themselves were in denial about Ms. Blands personal struggles with mental health (and self medication?) and if that lack of mental health support contributed to her fragile state that couldn't withstand an abusive officer and jailing before cracking.

Holy, where'd you get all that?

danwarb

Yeah.

Need to change the law then. In this case it was used to humiliate and ultimately assault someone for not showing a police officer the deference he thought he was due.

Chococat

Need to change the law then. In this case it was used to humiliate and ultimately assault someone for not showing a police officer the deference he thought he was due.

They also need to make the arrest laws uniform across the nation. Some of my earlier confusion was with differences between Texas laws and those of my state. Crossing a state boarder should not change the basic police/citizen interaction.

The Llama

Is it so bad to get out of your car if you're stopped by a cop? o_O I just don't get the big problem with it. It's one thing if they're gonna search you/your car (especially if its BS and they don't actually have reason to do so), but just being asked to get out of your car? Seems so trivial to me.

Given all of the evidence presented thus far I feel like she definitely committed suicide and people are clinging on to something that isn't there to be claiming that the whole situation has been staged and the entire thing is a cover-up.

That being said the staff at the jail she was being held at are ultimately at fault for why she died. The whole place sounds like it was poorly run and somebody dying was going to happen sooner or later.

Is it so bad to get out of your car if you're stopped by a cop? o_O I just don't get the big problem with it. It's one thing if they're gonna search you/your car (especially if its BS and they don't actually have reason to do so), but just being asked to get out of your car? Seems so trivial to me.

I'd say it's pretty bad when physical assault is allowed because you question why you need to do this "trivial" thing, after a simple signal violation and some sass.

The officer had literally no reason to request it other than to lord his power over her. He's written the ticket, she's perfectly able to sign the ticket in the car and both of them would be on their way.

He didn't like being told that no, she wouldn't put out her cigarette. It was a perfectly fine response, since the cop has no legal ability to demand it, but the small-minded cop sees it as an affront to his authority. So, instead of letting it go, he barks an order that she's required to follow despite the officer having no good reason to actually request it, because then either he'll get the deference he feels he deserves, or she'll disobey and then he has a reason to drop the hammer on her.

Fuchsdh

They also need to make the arrest laws uniform across the nation. Some of my earlier confusion was with differences between Texas laws and those of my state. Crossing a state boarder should not change the basic police/citizen interaction.

What you are asking will never occur. States control their own policing rules and regs. Short of a policy violating the Constitution there's not much the federal government can compel states to do (that isn't to say they can't provide incentives or grants to states and localities that want funds to provide body cams to police, or other measures, however.)

Velcro Fly

By themselves asking to put out a cigarette and ordering someone to get out of their car during a traffic stop ARE no big deal. But that isn't all that happened. It's clear from the video that neither of them were going to give an inch. In that scenario it is on the police officer to back down, give out the warning, and be on his way. That isn't what happened at all.

Everyone deals with people at work that you'd love to slug in the nose for the way they act. But you are working and as a police officer it's even more important that you keep your cool and get over it.

Guevara

I hope the autopsy results kind of put the conspiracy theories to bed, but I guess we have to wait for the family's autopsy now.

Yes, using your signals is certainly not important or anything.
For a lane change when a cop is racing up behind you and you want to let them by? No, it is not important.

Where I live it is completely legal to change lanes without signalling as long as no other vehicles would be affected.

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement."

For a lane change when a cop is racing up behind you and you want to let them by? No, it is not important.

Where I live it is completely legal to change lanes without signalling as long as no other vehicles would be affected.

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement."
Um...a faster car approaching from behind is a textbook example of a vehicle that may be affected by the movement. Once that car gets behind you, if they intend to maintain their speed, they need to switch lanes to go around you if you aren't going to move, but if they do that at the same time that you change lanes without signaling, they're going to rear-end you.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Um...a faster car approaching from behind is a textbook example of a vehicle that may be affected by the movement. Once that car gets behind you, if they intend to maintain their speed, they need to switch lanes to go around you if you aren't going to move, but if they do that at the same time that you change lanes without signaling, they're going to rear-end you.

Wouldn't that be their fault for passing on the right?

Wouldn't that be their fault for passing on the right?
It doesn't matter whose fault it would be. The point we're debating here isn't liability for a collision. If there's a car directly behind you, that is exactly when it's most important to signal a lane change. That's the topic, that's the point.

Con_Smith

Banned
I still find it hard to believe. I'm not going to hop on the conspiracy train but fuck this whole situation.

So you just admitted you were trolling by mentioning it.

And adding the "<3" after the details of his death. Wow.

Don't feed that fuccboi. Probably thinks the black lives matter movement is the black community whining for social reperations.

You really shouldn't be passing on the right. And not at a fast speed.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The officer had literally no reason to request it other than to lord his power over her. He's written the ticket, she's perfectly able to sign the ticket in the car and both of them would be on their way.

He didn't like being told that no, she wouldn't put out her cigarette. It was a perfectly fine response, since the cop has no legal ability to demand it, but the small-minded cop sees it as an affront to his authority. So, instead of letting it go, he barks an order that she's required to follow despite the officer having no good reason to actually request it, because then either he'll get the deference he feels he deserves, or she'll disobey and then he has a reason to drop the hammer on her.

If she put out the cigarette, she goes home with a warning. She mouthed off, he got pissy. Honestly not a single person knows what happens if she just got out of the car when he asked her too... maybe he just wanted to not have smoke coming out a window at him.

It's sad she died, but she didn't comply with cigarette request, then she refused to comply getting out of the car. At that point, is he supposed to just say "you know, just go ahead and go?"

That's what I don't get.. you can't just not comply with a police order. They ask you out, then get out.. they aren't going to have a back and forth with you all day about it, eventually they will force you out.

There's choices people make in situations, and sure the cop went full dick-mode when she got sassy with him.

The video clearly showed her not complying, then continuing to NOT comply after out of the car.

People here act like you should be allowed to be a dick to a cop, not comply, and just go on with life, because cops should just be the bigger person.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I hope the autopsy results kind of put the conspiracy theories to bed, but I guess we have to wait for the family's autopsy now.

Conspiracy theories aren't logical, so honestly it won't matter.

I think that from the information we have, it seems like a suicide. I don't think she should have been detained for that long to begin with, but it isn't unheard of for the stress of jail to send someone over the edge. Stuff like her being posed for the photo after already being dead...it's just silly and illogical.

kronose

Banned
By themselves asking to put out a cigarette and ordering someone to get out of their car during a traffic stop ARE no big deal. But that isn't all that happened. It's clear from the video that neither of them were going to give an inch. In that scenario it is on the police officer to back down, give out the warning, and be on his way. That isn't what happened at all.

Everyone deals with people at work that you'd love to slug in the nose for the way they act. But you are working and as a police officer it's even more important that you keep your cool and get over it.

Lol WAT. Is that a joke?? You believe the officer should concede to a forceful or agitated citizen and back down and let them be the deciding force??? While I agree police are abusing their power left and right these days, a concept like this seems ridiculous. They are law enforcement, there to uphold the law (in theory). They should not back down to irate citizens (once again, in theory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom