• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live: Season 41 |OT| Starring the Real Ghostbusters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that was unsurprisingly not a good episode.

Larry David is probably worth more than Donald Trump, I doubt he needs that 5k lol.

Which reminds me how weird it is that Larry David is a billionaire.

He's not a billionaire, especially after his divorce which his wife got half, he's rumored to be worth between 400 and 500M but denies it and Trump is supposedly worth at least four billion.

params7

Banned
Highest ratings since 2012:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/08/donald-trump-snl-ratings

According to NBC, SNL had a whopping 6.6 household rating on Saturday night, easily beating the season’s previous high: the 41st season premiere last month, hosted by Miley Cyrus and with a guest appearance by none other than … Hillary Clinton. In fact, Trump’s overnight rating was 47 percent higher than the Miley/Hillary episode.

The previous high was held by an episode that aired Jan. 7, 2012, hosted by Charles Barkley with musical guest Kelly Clarkson.

I still don't understand how that sketch was recurring. I had hopes that that one would actually make me laugh, but it never did. I feel like I am missing something big that I don't find What's Up With That funny in any way.

What's up with that?

It never made me laugh, but it always made me smile. Mainly Sudekis and that track suit I think. Poor Lindsay.

Last night's episode was weird. Like, it felt like they tried to make trump the joke at times, but it never worked. All they did was give him a bigger boost.

Revolver

Absolutely awful episode. I got so bored that I just had to turn it off. I think Trump's bragging to O'Reilly that he hand-picked the sketches must have been true.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is SNL always this terrible? I don't like SNL as it is, but this was just D.

It's rarely great, but they can do better. I think there were probably some sketches that got vetoed. A lot of these seemed like time wasters and back burner sketches rather than something they would do for Trump being there. And they talked about Trump less than they usually do, so it was pretty evident they were ignoring the elephant in the room.

Like when Hillary went on, she played a bartender talking to a satirized version of herself. So they directly addressed her not being likable to her face. With Trump, they played up some of his ideas but mostly in a positive light. Like the first sketch about how his presidency will be so great. It's kiddie glove stuff. Then the tweets, so yeah he tweets mean stuff sometimes. He knows that, and gets off on it. Weekend Update was the only time they took some digs at him, like the Drunk Uncle segment.

Jag

Larry David was the only real funny thing. Is he on regularly?

He used to write for the show, but not for long and wasn't very successful. But it's not surprising that he maintains a connection. Apparently Lorne Michaels can be very charming if he wants you in his inner circle.

That said, I'm pretty sure the bit was approved. Very little happens on that show without Michaels approval. I think Damon Wayans once went off skit and it was a big deal.

Bgamer90

Banned
Oh god, humming amazing grace, this is beautiful. lmao

I love how this sketch nails how dramatic 15-18 year olds think they already know everything about the way the world works.

This episode has been SO much better than last week's (though that wasn't really a hard thing to do).

Edit: Forogt about Disclosure. Hope they perform well. Love their albums. Better production value than artists almost twice their age.

This Weekend Update is pretty amazing so far.

Edit: "Did you fall from heaven? ... If so can you tell me if my babies are up there?"

HOLY SHIT lmao

I came in this thread knowing someone would be shitting on it.

I think it's hysterical, and much more in line with classic SNL humor.
The "so bad it's good" trope only works when the acting is interesting or the setting is right. I've enjoyed Bruce in taped segments but he just doesn't work for me in a Weekend update segment.

hokahey

The "so bad it's good" trope only works when the acting is interesting or the setting is right. I've enjoyed Bruce in taped segments but he just doesn't work for me in a Weekend update segment.

I think the acting is stellar, and the setting is perfect. "So bad it's good" works best when it's awkward, which live television is the best setting for.

I'm behind as its paused while I drink.

But that sketch play comedy was the best indictment of this whole stupid generation.

Just kidding. Banks is so hot still. Damn.

IronRinn

Hmmmmm, not sure about that one.

Edit: I was having trouble trying to figure out the point of that one for most of it. I guess they kind of spelled it out at the end, but it was kind of weird.

That said, I thought this episode was really good.

Bgamer90

Banned
Hmmmmm, not sure about that one.

Edit: I was having trouble trying to figure out the point of that one for most of it. I guess they kind of spelled it out at the end, but it was kind of weird.

That said, I thought this episode was really good.

I guess someone could relate it to "first world problems" but the term "ghetto" gets thrown around for the dumbest things.

IronRinn

I guess someone could relate it to "first world problems" but the term "ghetto" gets thrown around for the dumbest things.
Oh for sure. I'll be honest, I was feeling uncomfortable for most of it, but maybe that was the point as well? I want to watch it again and see if it works better knowing what's coming.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Turned off this episode during the "first thing that made me horny" sketch. Sorry, but that was a new low for SNL, and whoever convinced Lorne to get it on air should be fired.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Liked this episode, aside from some clunkers. Olga during Weekend Update was pretty funny, reminded me of something they'd put on in the early 90s.

big ander

This week was super solid, nice to see after last week's comedic travesty. only one scratch sketch (Aron's List) with the remainder being decent to good (Black Jeopardy, Young Ben Carson, The Bureau, Uber for Jen).
Well, except for First Got Horny 2 U, which I love that somebody was offended at because it was the only great sketch of the night. so fucking funny, especially Bayer with the Menendez bros and her looking up at the shower head.

Plus the Jost/Che update has really found itself this season. It isn't even that it's always the funniest joke by joke, but they have a really distinct tone and chemistry that I love. great characters on it this week. Bruce!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom