• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella: Xbox now have over 500 million monthly active users

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Ah, classical Microsoft. Take a useless impressive number and boast it without any semblance of context to distract people away from very pathetic financial results they are published earlier.

In fact why stop here? Release an Office light on Xbox and count every Office user too. Xbox monthly users will crack a billion in an instant.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
This ceo is clueless. He just got lucky MS stock prices boomed from the tech fomo.
He is overpaid and done shit tbh

He pioneered Microsoft into cloud services which increased their revenues significantly... Azure has completely changed their business...

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Candy Crush has over 250 million active players a month. CoD has over 70 million.

What he is doing is counting all of these and probably double counting a bit when combining those numbers with GamePass, Microsoft Store, and Xbox, as well as players on PS5, Switch, and Steam who play Microsoft games.

The fact that they're doing dumb shit like this suggests to me that Phils days are numbered. He isn't hitting any meaningful KPIs if you have to make up a new metric like this. Nadella will have to report real numbers to the board internally, and they're not going to be seeing growth.

For what it is worth for this quarter, I'm sure PlayStation has missed their numbers sizably as well, hence the last minute sales.

Last edited:

Fess

This is all platforms combined. Xbox, Playstation, Switch, Windows Store, Steam, iOS, Android. Anywhere you can play their games.

Still impressive and a good base for a digital platform era.

But Xbox, the console, is clearly dead now going by the earnings report. Already buried. The numbers fir Series was like late generation last year and like a new generation has launched now, only without a new generation starting. Historical failure, worse than WiiU. Nintendo was at least fast up on their feet again with Switch.

LordCBH

And if PS had 128 mau Xbox would be 505.

Surely someone has pointed this out to him on twitter already lol

Doesn’t matter. Colt is too retarded to understand that Xbox’s “hard work” to get these users is just opening the checkbook to buy half the industry instead of actually elevating their brand and releasing things customers actually want.

Like what is the actual point in this strategy? “Look we have 500m MAU’s but don’t look at our hardware sales or the money we’re losing on the brand.”

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
And if PS had 128 mau Xbox would be 505.

Surely someone has pointed this out to him on twitter already lol

Colt Eastwood has moved beyond parody at this point. He is signaling that he isn't looking to pivot to a general audience. He's going down with the ship regardless of what it costs him. He must feel certain that this audience will stick with him even for a PC based Xbox and GamePass.

• Candy Crush - 250 million
  • Minecraft - Over 140 million
  • CoD - 70 million
  • Xbox - probably about 50 million
With overlap among themselves and a large if not majority of the non candy crush users being on PS and Switch least of all to mention PC (non Microsoft Store).

Nadella has never signaled harder that Xbox is dead than by putting the numbers forward like this. If that is their new metric, then expanding that number means EVERYTHING and the only way to do that is more multiplatform releases.

dkzZSwS.jpeg

200.gif

Record-breaking engagement💍🙅‍♂️🙆‍♂️🙅‍♂️💍
Microsoft ON Xbox.

Mokus

What else could Nadella do other than spin the numbers with a smile on his face just like Phil Spencer for the last 10 years? Almost everybody knows by now that the Xbox brand is slowly dying at this point. It's pretty much throwing shit to the wall and see what sticks. I can only imagine how hard is to face investors after burning through over 70 billion USD and the results after only a year are even worse for the Xbox division.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
What else could Nadella do other than spin the numbers with a smile on his face just like Phil Spencer for the last 10 years? Almost everybody knows by now that the Xbox brand is slowly dying at this point. It's pretty much throwing shit to the wall and see what sticks. I can only imagine how hard is to face investors after burning through over 70 billion USD and the results after only a year are even worse for the Xbox division.

I don't think Nadella cares about hardware sales anymore or even in the short term the related royalty sales from software.

He is looking at the bigger picture which is software sales and subscription sales. Will not be surprised if we get a version of GamePass on PSN that does not include 3rd party games.

StereoVsn

He pioneered Microsoft into cloud services which increased their revenues significantly... Azure has completely changed their business...
Yeah, let’s separate their software and cloud business divisions, which they run with ruthlessness and focus from their gaming and hardware divisions.

The latter ones are suffering but cloud revenue grew 29%. Hence $22bil profit in a quarter.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Yeah, let’s separate their software and cloud business divisions, which they run with ruthlessness and focus from their gaming and hardware divisions.

The latter ones are suffering but cloud revenue grew 29%. Hence $22bil profit in a quarter.

Just saying Nadella could shutter Xbox entirely and he'll still be one of the greatest CEOs of all time...

Gaming revenue up 61%, however Activision alone is 58%. The secret to increasing revenue is to just buy other companies, apparently.

That 80 billion is carrying them. How long until that investment pays for itself?

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You can't count every windows install just because the Xbox app is built in ... 😵‍💫

Last edited:
Gosh that is the most moronic spin I've seen from any of these companies 🤣

Why stop at 500 million?

We estimate that 2 billion human eyeballs have actively engaged in xbox
2 billion + 1... my uncle only had one eye after an accident and he opened the Xbox app once, I know that for a fact.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
500 million monthly active users lmao.
The world population is around 8b people...if 500 million already are active users of Xbox, that means over 6% of the world population is using an Xbox account every month!

Holy shit!

It surpassed streaming subscription services that are used by the GP like Spotify (over 230M), Netflix (240M).

MS just won everything tech related with these news.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Half of those are playing Candy Crush
Yeah, the number is a little more believable if you consider they are most likely talking about Xbox the service and not Xbox the console. The bulk of the interaction is probably Candy Crush and the solitaire collection. Sort of underscores why selling consoles is declining in priority to Microsoft.

BlackTron

When I was a Nintendo fanboy clinging to my Gamecube for dear life in 2003, I didn't have it nearly as bad as some of you guys do. Holy shit.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom