• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella: Xbox now have over 500 million monthly active users

Topher

Gold Member
You mean Microsoft’s Xbox Candy Crush.

If you can’t earn the numbers, you buy them.

You gotta get creative when bragging to stockholders my man

You Got It Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

BlackTron

Nintendo at least released a lot of bangers on the console.

Imagine if Nintendo hadn't done Wii, instead reaching "healthy" income by spending billions on Ubisoft.

I want to raise my income to a healthier number I can put a million dollars in an account and pay myself out of it over time. Thereby showing my amazing management prowess at getting money through the door. Adore me, simp for me after this massive flex.

MS does this, and then flexes even more by opening the floodgates of devices that can access Xbox.

Pointless numbers for shills to lap up.

Fess

Yeah, the number is a little more believable if you consider they are most likely talking about Xbox the service and not Xbox the console. The bulk of the interaction is probably Candy Crush and the solitaire collection. Sort of underscores why selling consoles is declining in priority to Microsoft.
It’s everything, people need to stop thinking about the Xbox console, Microsoft has moved away from that. These numbers are from Xbox, Steam, Windows Store, Playstation, Switch, Android, iOS, XCloud, Geforce Now. Every single game they own on every device and service.

Listen to Satya’s talk from this earnings report QA. They’re clearly transitioning to software and subscriptions as a publisher and digital platform holder on ”every” screen.

Content, Xbox, PC, Firestick
"For us, our investment in gaming fundamentally was to have, I would say, the right portfolio of both what we love about gaming and always have loved about gaming — which is Xbox, and the content for the console, and expand from there so that we have content for everywhere people play games, starting with the PC."

"So, when I think about the Activision portfolio, it comes with great assets for us to cover both the PC and the console. And then, of course, assets to cover mobile sockets, which we have never had. So, we feel that now we have both the content and the ability to access all the traditional high-scale platforms where people play games, which is the console, PC, and mobile. But we're also excited about these new sockets, right?"

"That's the type of new access that really helps us a lot, in reaching new gamers or the same gamer everywhere they want to play. And that ultimately will show up in that software plus services and transaction revenue for us, which is really our long-term KPI, and that's what we're building toward."

This was from Windows central, there is a sound clip somewhere where it’s uninterupted, was an answer about how investor’s should look at their future growth potential in the gaming space.

A.Romero

This ceo is clueless. He just got lucky MS stock prices boomed from the tech fomo.
He is overpaid and done shit tbh

What? This guy has taken Microsoft to new heights. When he took over the company it was worth $300 bn and now it's worth $3 trillion in about 10 years.

People might not like what they are doing with the games division but his performance as a CEO has been great.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I like Xbox, but even I had to laugh at this. Yea dude firestick. Yea dude, mobile. LOL

Last edited:

Fess

I'm pretty sure Sony will happily count people using PS log-ins on Steam, and Switch gamers buying Horizon LEGO. It's kind of the whole point. People just get mad at anything MS.
Yeah MAU is not some mystery number, it’s monthly active users on all their games on all services and devices. The total. People are just so laser focused on consoles here, Xbox this and Playstation that. Candy Crush is literally in Microsoft’s MAU numbers now, and Steam gamers enjoying Ghost of Tsushima is in Sony’s MAUs. And that’s okay and correct and something they can boast about now when talking to investors, which these earnings reports are made for.

Gaelyon

MS is gamers Jesus ! He transformed less than 30 millions X-box in 500 millions active users ! Forget Halo or Gears of war, behold Candy Crush and Minesweeper !

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Candy Crush has over 250 million active players a month. CoD has over 70 million.

What he is doing is counting all of these and probably double counting a bit when combining those numbers with GamePass, Microsoft Store, and Xbox, as well as players on PS5, Switch, and Steam who play Microsoft games.

The fact that they're doing dumb shit like this suggests to me that Phils days are numbered. He isn't hitting any meaningful KPIs if you have to make up a new metric like this. Nadella will have to report real numbers to the board internally, and they're not going to be seeing growth.

For what it is worth for this quarter, I'm sure PlayStation has missed their numbers sizably as well, hence the last minute sales.

I think you are right here.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Like I've said before, all the ABK buyout is proving is that there's way more profit in being Activision than trying to be a platform holder.

And following that logic, in the future I'd expect to see their portfolio continue to narrow in exactly the same way that Activision's did. In the short term there's a need for a steady flow of catalogue product to fill out GP, but objectively speaking the AA model fell out of favour across the industry because its not consistently profitable, so I'd expect its days to be numbered.

peish

What? This guy has taken Microsoft to new heights. When he took over the company it was worth $300 bn and now it's worth $3 trillion in about 10 years.

People might not like what they are doing with the games division but his performance as a CEO has been great.

I think he got lucky with the tech fomo. Every tech stocks went boom.
Sure ballmer being some useless white guy and that elevates nutella too.

Not sure of what nutella has done since the cloud. Their hardware division have all crashed and burned

winjer

Gold Member
Maybe Microsoft is now counting Office 365 users as Gamepass members. Or something idiotic like that.

A.Romero

I think he got lucky with the tech fomo. Every tech stocks went boom.
Sure ballmer being some useless white guy and that elevates nutella too.

Not sure of what nutella has done since the cloud. Their hardware division have all crashed and burned

He also changed office business model.

I would be surprised if pure luck could grow a company 10x in 10 years. I mean, in the same period many other companies haven't grown 10x even with the fomo you mention.

Regarding hardware other than the 360 times I don't think they have done well so most likely that was the fluke.

Pelta88

From the title I was going to suggest this would b securities fraud... Then I remembered they bought ATVI specifically to PR the numbers into something positive.

Their Q2 report was abysmal.

Mobilemofo

I think he meant to say, and correct me if I am wrong but ...

"Our pipes have never been fuller" meaning the shit they are smoking is grade A stuff.

Hairsplash

this is like, sony PSN members are a house, and XBOX account users are those that live in the house.

great example of “ Mark Twain famously popularized the saying, “There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom