• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia: Push for gays to be executed because social media is ‘making too many'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we should be supporting this country. That said, it's crazy how ravenously Westerners try to shift the blame on themselves for Islamic hatred of gays.

Yes, the christian GOP is anti gay in many respects. They try to shut down gay marriage and that is awful, but to say that is somehow as bad as putting gays to death is crazy.

Some blame has to be placed. You can't just throw up your hands say it's a different culture, and pretend we are just as bad.

But Ted Cruz had someone open for his speech by exclaiming how gay people need to be executed, and the man attended a "Kill the Gays" rally. I mean seriously, a top four candidate for the US presidency, the most religious politician with any chance of winning the election, is an example of Christians wanting to have gays killed. If we didn't have as many people in our country who steadfastly work to protect the civil rights of LGBT+ people, I cannot fsay for certain that we would not similarly have people in power who were advocating for stuff like this.

I mean sure, the audience was fairly tepid in reaction to his presenter at his speech, but that at least tells me that those who don't support such extremism are too fearful of condemning it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There's no need for the attitude. The article, ironically, does suggest homosexuality in Japan only became an issue after being influenced by western Christians.

But read the thread, your question is mine. If not religion, where did homophobia come from?

Homophobia comes from ignorance, scripture and economics - the latter rarely and connected to the perceived need to grow population or increase converts. The only reason you won't ever hear, is a rational one.

You're a huge part of the problem you know, regardless of the exaggerations within.
You realize how hypocritical your post is? You're mad at Christians for calling out a group...
Meaning you're doing the thing you hate.

And as the disclaimer: I'm Christian and openly pro gay.
And your post is downright offensive to some.

I'm used to both the Christians who are anti gay and those who are anti Christian, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call out people being obnoxious.
So you believe in a god who actually demands for gay people to be killed... but are pro gay?
I would say your stance makes you more like a good human being and less a Christian.

//DEVIL//

what may seems " horrible " and " not sense" to some people, might make perfect sense to others. Just because people from different religion doesn't understand it doesn't make it wrong or right. .

As far as I know in Quran, Gay sexuality is not allowed and considered one of the biggest sins in Islam. regardless if they are Sunni or Shea I believe. I mean, till this day in US, many families don't accept gay as something ok for their kids.

Who am I to judge these people ? there are allot of shit happens around the world. like how some other countries eat Monkeys brain while he is still alive and beat dogs to death so they can eat them.

if I do not like X country, I will just smh and never go there ever. but I will not judge them. whatever they believe in is between them and God / Allah / Buddha or whatever they want to believe in.

Sai-kun

Banned
what may seems " horrible " and " not sense" to some people, might make perfect sense to others. just because people from different religion doesn't understand doesn't make it wrong or right. .

As far as I know in Quran, Gay sexuality is not allowed and considered one of the biggest sins in Islam. regardless if they are Sunni or Shea I believe. I mean, till this day in US, many families don't accept gay as something ok for their kids.

Who am I to judge these people ? there are allot of shit happens around the world. like how some other countries eat Monkeys brain while he is still alive and beat dogs to death so they can eat them.

if I do not like X country, I will just smh and never go there ever. but I will not judge them. whatever they believe in is between them and God / Allah / Buddha or whatever they want to believe in.

saying that other cultures beat dogs and eat monkey brains is

not a good defense for this

what may seems " horrible " and " not sense" to some people, might make perfect sense to others. Just because people from different religion doesn't understand it doesn't make it wrong or right. .

"Believe what you want" lives and dies based on whether that's being applied to hurting innocent people.

Putting Buddha side by side with God and Allah tells me you know nothing about Buddhism.

Not all culture and belief is created equal.

We should not accept or tolerate regressive and uncivilized beliefs, we should actively work to promote culture and belief that is in line with reason, logic and humanity.

This thread is a travesty. We should not be insulting our great ally, Saudi Arabia. They flood Congress with money in order for us to keep them in our good graces and support other foundations (like the Clinton Foundation) which do so much good in the world. We in the West should be appreciative and accept the slight faults of our great ally. No one is perfect. Not even the Saudis. You all should repent by entering this essay contest and penning a hagiography for the great human rights champion that was King Abdullah.

Not all culture and belief is created equal.

We should not accept or tolerate regressive and uncivilized beliefs, we should actively work to promote culture and belief that is in line with reason, logic and humanity.

Actually all cultures are created equally (Because cultural based on arbitrary set of beliefs and symbols, which can't be empirically valued), but certainly there are some cultures that are more maladaptive and more oppressive (Due to multitudes of reasons, but mainly governments perpetuating cultural norms, and not allowing natural cultural change). This type of rhetoric is akin to colonialist language, "Obviously our European culture is vastly more civilized and logical than the primitives illogical and uncivilized culture," just look at what colonialism did to Africa, and scars are still felt today. First thing for Western countries to do, is stop supporting repressive governments, in the name of economics, geopolitics, and stability. The people of Saudi Arabia want change, but it is difficult when the government is monopoly over power and cultural discourse.

Actually all cultures are created equally (Because cultural based on arbitrary set of beliefs and symbols, which can't be empirically valued), but certainly there are some cultures that are more maladaptive and more oppressive (Due to multitudes of reasons, but mainly governments perpetuating cultural norms, and not allowing natural cultural change). This type of rhetoric is akin to colonialist language, "Obviously our European culture is vastly more civilized and logical than the primitives illogical and uncivilized culture," just look at what colonialism did to Africa, and scars are still felt today. First thing for Western countries to do, is stop supporting repressive governments, in the name of economics, geopolitics, and stability. The people of Saudi Arabia want change, but it is difficult when the government is monopoly over power and cultural discourse.

I didn't mean that quite as literally as you took it. I meant all culture does not hold equal value and should not be treated equally.

Also I specifically did not say we should promote western culture or imperial european or american culture.

I said we should be working to promote logic, reason and humanity. It just so happens that western culture currently tends to coincide with that. For many anyway.

There's still a long way to go to fully push those concepts in western culture too.

I didn't mean that quite as literally as you took it. I meant all culture does not hold equal value and should not be treated equally.

Also I specifically did not say we should promote western culture or imperial european or american culture.

I said we should be working to promote logic, reason and humanity. It just so happens that western culture currently tends to coincide with that. For many anyway.

There's still a long way to go to fully push those concepts in western culture too.

Okay, sorry, the wording is often associated with colonial-like rhetoric. I agree with you, certainly the west is inclusive and mostly free culture (Maybe due to the stability of people's lives?), but a lot of time when people talk about other cultures the idealize the west, making out to be seemingly perfect.

Jotaka

What fuck stupid excuse is this?
Do you think killing someone for someone apostasy (leaving Islam religion) is acceptable? Woman have less rights in these countries... because reasons... And you are ok with that?

If you really believe in this... you are just an asshole.

Monocle

This moral relativism is vile. Why don't you just go ahead and tell me directly that maybe I deserve to die based on these primitive morons' hateful beliefs? Go on. If you don't have the werewithal to decide that human dignity and well-being actually matter, you might as well go full misanthropic bigot and commit to the logical conclusion of your suspension of judgment: that ethics are meaningless and anyone should be free to harm anyone else for whatever reason.

Fucking gross. Please stay at home and don't participate in society, ever. Your total disregard for humanistic values is poisonous.

//DEVIL//

What fuck stupid excuse is this?
Do you think killing someone for someone apostasy (leaving Islam religion) is acceptable? Woman have less rights in these countries... because reasons... And you are ok with that?

If you really believe in this... you are just an asshole.

lol. there is no need for name calling because I don't give a shit what happens in other countries ? you wana know something too ? I am not even feeling bad for them. if I know I am Gay and I love being Gay. yet I know this X country doesn't allow gay people there because its against their religion, why the fuck I live there ? just to challenge the authority ?

this is like going to a strict part of Buddhism in India and I kill a cow and start BBQ and eat in front of them. Why the hell would I do that ?

you are worried about the few people that dies because they don't obey rules in an X country or women has less rights ? why you don't worry about the 1000s that die in the stupid middle east war or the startving people in Africa ?

As far as I know and I could be wrong, Saudi Arabia is the country in the world that doesn't allow women to drive there as well. should I care about that too ? I didn't know I am a fucking God and my job is cure the world from everything that I think is wrong

This moral relativism is vile. Why don't you just go ahead and tell me directly that maybe I deserve to die based on these primitive morons' hateful beliefs? Go on. If you don't have the werewithal to decide that human dignity and well-being actually matter, you might as well go full misanthropic bigot and commit to the logical conclusion of your suspension of judgment: that ethics are meaningless and anyone should be free to harm anyone else for whatever reason.

Fucking gross. Please stay at home and don't participate in society, ever. Your total disregard for humanistic values is poisonous.

don't mix things up. I can tell what is right from wrong. I didn't say I agree with wtf is happening there. but I cant really judge them either based on my believes. they believe in 7 virgins, the ability to marry 4 women at the same time etc. maybe that doesn't make sense to anyone but them. I will not judge them for what they believe in. like.. for example. in most part of the world marriage is between a man and a woman. in few countries now marriage can be between 2 guys or 2 girls. to the rest of the world, this is totaly idiotic and stupid. but I don't see people from other nationalities here making posts about how stupid gay marriage is in their opinion. They pretty much don't care and that's all to it.

I just simply don't really care. if I like how a government treat their people, I will go there. if I don't, I am getting the fuck out. as simple as that. not challenge their authority

Pork

Banned
NeoGAF made me gay. Thanks a lot guys, I used to be the straightest man alive but now I just can't get enough hard juicy cock.

Sai-kun

Banned
if I know I am Gay and I love being Gay. yet I know this X country doesn't allow gay people there because its against their religion, why the fuck I live there ?

you really think it's that simple to just get up and leave? honestly?

NeoGAF made me gay. Thanks a lot guys, I used to be the straightest man alive but now I just can't get enough hard juicy cock.

same

How about watching your mouth dude ? calling me an asshole because I don't give shit what happens in other countries ? you wana know something too ? I am not even feeling bad for them. if I know I am Gay and I love being Gay. yet I know this X country doesn't allow gay people there because its against their religion, why the fuck I live there ? just to challenge the authority ?

this is like going to a strict part of Buddhism in India and I kill a cow and start BBQ and eat in front of them. Why the hell would I do that ?

you are worried about the few people that dies because they don't obey rules in an X country or women has less rights ? why you don't worry about the 1000s that die in the stupid middle east war or the startving people in Africa ?

As far as I know and I could be wrong, Saudi Arabia is the country in the world that doesn't allow women to drive there as well. should I care about that too ? I didn't know I am a fucking God and my job is cure the world from everything that I think is wrong

So we should just ignore the atrocities being perpetrated by functioning governments? The primary difference between starving people in Africa (worrying about Saudi Arabia and this issue aren't mutually exclusive, by the way) and gay people being executed in Saudi Arabia is that the government has full power to immediately make such a thing a non-issue in the latter's case. There's a distinction between governments oppressing their citizens for no good reason (unless you wish to provide one for us?) and governments that literally cannot provide for their citizens.

Also, you say that moving away is an option, as if everyone who suffers under an oppressive government have the means to do that. That's an extremely naive viewpoint to take. Go ahead and say that to the people starving in North Korea, for instance. I'm sure the government there would be happy to let people leave the country.

Your attitude to ignore the world's problems is extremely defeatist. It doesn't take a god to help make the world a better place, but a concentrated effort from humanity. We are fully capable of solving problems together, but, due to competing interests and internal conflicts, progress is slow. However, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't keep trying.

Sai-kun

Banned
Considering how I lived in 4 countries to date and I am 34 years old, fuck yeah actually. specially when it involve my personal life.

you're delusional if you think it's that simple for a teenager/young adult to just uproot and go somewhere else, and also to be safe.

it might be easy to just leave, but it's not always easy to find a safe space to exist.

a lot of teens/young adults in the US do this, and find themselves homeless, out of money, robbed/assaulted/raped, and have a higher chance of getting into drug use through doing this. you may have lived in four countries, but do you also have the stigma of being queer attached to you? or are you just another straight man floating through the world like it was yours?

Considering how I lived in 4 countries to date and I am 34 years old, fuck yeah actually. specially when it involve my personal life.

Very few people have mobility like that.
I would have great difficulty just getting up and moving to another country, and I live in the EU.

//DEVIL//

you're delusional if you think it's that simple for a teenager/young adult to just uproot and go somewhere else, and also to be safe.

it might be easy to just leave, but it's not always easy to find a safe space to exist.

a lot of teens/young adults in the US do this, and find themselves homeless, out of money, robbed/assaulted/raped, and have a higher chance of getting into drug use through doing this. you may have lived in four countries, but do you also have the stigma of being queer attached to you? or are you just another straight man floating through the world like it was yours?

Maybe you are right for some people to leave as the mentioned reasons you have above ( I left country when I was 18 lol )

lol. there is no need for name calling because I don't give a shit what happens in other countries ? you wana know something too ? I am not even feeling bad for them. if I know I am Gay and I love being Gay. yet I know this X country doesn't allow gay people there because its against their religion, why the fuck I live there ? just to challenge the authority ?

don't mix things up. I can tell what is right from wrong. I didn't say I agree with wtf is happening there. but I cant really judge them either based on my believes. they believe in 7 virgins, the ability to marry 4 women at the same time etc. maybe that doesn't make sense to anyone but them. I will not judge them for what they believe in. like.. for example. in most part of the world marriage is between a man and a woman. in few countries now marriage can be between 2 guys or 2 girls. to the rest of the world, this is totaly idiotic and stupid. but I don't see people from other nationalities here making posts about how stupid gay marriage is in their opinion. They pretty much don't care and that's all to it.

I just simply don't really care. if I like how a government treat their people, I will go there. if I don't, I am getting the fuck out. as simple as that. not challenge their authority

What the hell is wrong with you? People don't live in Saudi Arabia while gay because of a political statement, it's because that's all they've ever known, it's their country, and for many, leaving that country could result in worse conditions for them than staying (if they can even afford it!). Gay Saudis don't have the luxury of being able to go wherever they want, whereas apparently you think that people move to another country by snapping their fingers. Housing and employment in any country at a moment's notice? Sure! Avoiding the hateful looks people give you and the discrimination over your skin colour? No problem! Being able to afford moving in the first place? Well gay people like rainbows so I guess they can find a pot of gold at the end of them that grants them this privilege.

You're expressing an apathy for people dying because of the way that they were born, don't act high-and-mighty or above anything. Apathy towards violence is approval of violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom