• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say goodbye to cashiers in 2,500 U.S. McDonalds by the end of 2017.

Ovid

My stance is that our Government really needs to work on re-training programs and reducing the costs of post-high school education.
I agree with you. This will help alleviate the problem in the short run.
BUT...

Sounds like government intervention.
Republican majority.
Sounds like it won't happen

Devils advocate: Who's going to pay for it and how does this help me?

My stance is that our Government really needs to work on re-training programs and reducing the costs of post-high school education. It won't happen under this administration, but I won't give up hope.

This is the correct way to look at it in my opinion. Resistance is futile, adaptation is crucial.

Foffy

Banned
I think half of the liberals on this site are concerned that supporting social programs is going to raise their taxes. That's all it comes down to, really. The logic isn't much different from McDonald's freeing itself from the burden of employees and 401k obligations.

I don't even think that's really the deep issue we face that automation highlights.

To me, it highlights a paradox: technology allows us to do much more work, but it takes away jobs, the arena of "real work" we depend upon for survival value.

I would argue that the problem is this limiting view of work. Then again, I directly support UBI from the position of humanism, believe it is a project of social justice, and will help open our eyes to see that there really is more work that we can do outside of the domains of a literal jobs cult that turns countless lives into ash, for very little gain and very little reason other that status quo remarks.

The issue of precarity reminds me much of Jess Cotton wrote that helps signify this problem in full. If we are not worth what we earn, why do we live in a culture that actually ascribes this illusion to us? After all, those who lack a job in this society are seen as lazy or lack free will; we have weaponized the system and its curation of poverty and precarity as something one's character produces. This is the purest form of gutter trash thought we hold to in secular society today.

Poverty and precarity is not a lack of character; it is simply a lack of money. And we know enough to say those in poverty and the precariat are having less healthy outcomes as a result of this social game being broken for decades.

This risks getting worse, not better. If this is anything like the industrial revolution, we must not forget that was 70 years of precarity, poverty, and suffrage for masses of people. That's a fuckin' lifetime of misery for far too many people.

Nester99

it is interesting that such a small thing as bringing the food to me at the table really added to the overall experience.

I would much rather have staff doing things like that or extra cleaning (place was spotless) then collecting my order. Now if I can just order from my phone...

Great! Anyone feeling bad for shitty low paying jobs going away is out of their mind! This will happen sooner or later, so instead of forcing people to work at these jobs we just need a better safety net. What makes profit in the US is information not serving burgers.

Foffy

Banned
Great! Anyone feeling bad for shitty low paying jobs going away is out of their mind! This will happen sooner or later, so instead of forcing people to work at these jobs we just need a better safety net. What makes profit in the US is information not serving burgers.

The problem here is this is the same culture where people will support candidates who stand against a living wage.

Are we really expecting these same people to support minimum income floors? They likely already think people "are paid what they're worth," which is to say they've lost the fucking plot.

We also seem to wanting to carpet bomb the concept of a safety net at this moment in time, too. It's as if America is just going backwards as all of its problems go forwards.

Are these those easy order kiosks? There are already everywhere in the Netherlands. Only two cashiers max.

They even deliver your order to your table.

louiedog

I wonder who will buy "things" when no one will have a job.

Where I grew up the closest McDonalds was kind of a hike and was right by a giant warehouse that was part of a large trucking company. How many people will work at that place in 30 years when the trucks aren't loaded or driven by people? Who's going to eat at that McDonalds which will only have one employee that keeps the machines going?

Ryuuroden

Will they raise the income of the remaining human workers with the savings from cutting the numbers of humans needed at each location. Probably not, if this was the result though I would definitely support this as a way to give living wages to lower skill jobs. Only way this will happen is by govt raising minimum wages. Surely this would be a good argument for raising it in retail since checkout automation will lead to savings and unless its govt mandated, companies will just pass savings to shareholders rather than employees.

krae_man

Well they better hope to Christ the kiosks don't work like their ice cream machines.

The ones where I live are terrible. They are out of receipt paper or the printer jams constantly. And the confirmation number that flashes on the screen when your order is finished is like 15 numbers long and isn't your order number. You have to quickly look up at the now serving screen and go "I'm probably one of the bottom 3 orders" and wait for them to get to the top of the list then wait for a number that nobody claims, then ask what its contents are and then go "that's mine".

So annoying.

Also the kiosks increase dine in traffic, but the restaurants still ignore dine in over drive thru so you have to wait even longer.

If you think it's super awkward to talk to a cashier then you must not go to restaurants.
I did both just yesterday. At a restraint I don't get that overwhelming feeling that I'm too slow or wasting the time of the people behind me. Also when paying for food I don't often have to deal with change or accidentally giving crumpled bills or the incorrect amount not of money.

I probably should talk to my counselor about stuff like this

JeTmAn81

I'm ok with this. My local library brought in machines for self checkout and I like that way more than dealing with a person.

As this happens, malls are closing, retail shops are ending also.

Automation + the internet are going to chip away at these jobs bit by bit. Its pretty bittersweet :(

sanstesy

Damn, what is this world when I can't even make jokes about ur mum flippin' burgers at McD. I guess they still have to make the burgers on the spot, though?

daveo42

Banned
Unsurprising, inevitable, and yet still depressing. We are fast approaching the end of low-skilled jobs, not only in the United States, but the rest of the world. But, nah, immigrants and other nations are totally taking our jobs, not automation. Coal will surely save us.

djkimothy

This has been going on in Canada and Europe and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Pretty much most McD's in Ottawa have gone completely kiosk. And it's great.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
How is this going to work when you have people with special needs, the ADA, and people with questions/concerns/dietary restrictions?

Miles X

And why wouldn't it? Please attack the idea with points.

Do you have another idea?

The sheer expense of it for one, people that work in well paid skill set jobs are going to have to be taxed far higher and that basic income won't cover it, not to mention the basic income itself is supposed to be taxed if it's to come about.

IMO It promotes the idea to all low skill/unemployed to just get free money, and those that have worked for a career or are in important jobs are less better off.

Better idea imo would be to more heavily tax companys like mcdonalds that do this. They're saving money on this, they should be putting it back into the economy not their back pockets.

As we make the transition from human point of sale interaction to computer automation, the demand for IT professionals will rise. That seems to be the most future proof profession at this point. Get your IT degrees everyone

Sulik2

Ugh this doesn't make any sense, it'll never work.

There are not going to be enough jobs for the population in the relatively near future. Automation creates nowhere near enough new jobs to replace the ones its going to kill. Economies as we know them break when there are no jobs to give people. There is no other option then to have society as a whole use the productivity of automation to start taking care of the basic needs of its citizens or everyone will be starving that isn't the 1 percent.

platakul

Banned
The sheer expense of it for one, people that work in well paid skill set jobs are going to have to be taxed far higher and that basic income won't cover it, not to mention the basic income itself is supposed to be taxed if it's to come about.

IMO It promotes the idea to all low skill/unemployed to just get free money, and those that have worked for a career or are in important jobs are less better off.

Better idea imo would be to more heavily tax companys like mcdonalds that do this. They're saving money on this, they should be putting it back into the economy not their back pockets.
Yep capitalism just doesn't work. When you're right you're right

Miles X

There are not going to be enough jobs for the population in the relatively near future. Automation creates nowhere near enough new jobs to replace the ones its going to kill. Economies as we know them break when there are no jobs to give people. There is no other option then to have society as a whole use the productivity of automation to start taking care of the basic needs of its citizens or everyone will be starving that isn't the 1 percent.

This is fantasy. I work in retail, the level of interaction even the most basic of staff members have, could only be replaced with droids with capable A.I.

It's just a fantasists cop out solution.

BajiBoxer

Banned

Unfortunately we will probably have to go through a period of starvation and violence tobfigure this out, if we haven't destroyed ourselves by then.

Automation is coming and yet no one in government seems to give a fuck. How many retail jobs have been lost just this year alone?

To be fair, even the Swiss voted overwhelmingly against it.

The perception is that McDonalds are jobs for poor and/or colored people, so don't expect the "bring back mah coal" people to give a shit.

Foffy

Banned

I would suggest you to really examine this myth. I can sit here and say it's bullshit, but I think it would be better as to why you think so lowly of people to think they'd be lazy and "leech." What if they did important work in their lives for no money if they had UBI? Are they leeches? What of a society that disempowers people, that laziness and "doing the least" is a response caused by other factors? Have you considered how means-testing incentivizes non-striving, and how UBI is one of the few policies to actually break the problem of being "forced into the bottom?"

It's like the welfare queen myth: what you assert is an archetype and you're not really paying attention to the depth nor all of the possible conditions that can give a rise to what you assert. Please delve deeper.

Furthermore, Guy Standing argues every country can do something with UBI today as a start, and he's probably the most informed person on the concept on this planet, for his fingers have been in every major pilot done of the last 30 years. People call him to supervise the scopes and implementations of the tests we're seeing in California, for example.

Or the farming industry everywhere. It's not exactly anything new.

Definitely. Another good example is coal. More and more of the mining is being either automated and assisted with machines, reducing he amount of human labor. Eventually the industry will be completely minimized by alternative energies eventually.

As for fast food, I hardly go to McDonalds anyway, only twice for 2017. So I'm not even really supporting the workers.

Kibbles

Considering this doesn't seem to affect drive-thru, and employees still have to make and deliver the food, I doubt that many jobs will be cut at this stage.

But, as the poster above says, it is going to suck for employees. Especially since the floor plans aren't designed for this.
Yeah every time I go to see the cashiers helping make the food or drinks anyway.

Top Bottom