• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle Fed. Judge grants temporary restraining order on Immigration Ban nationwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
So can someone who knows legal stuff better than I do explain what this means?

I know the earlier ACLU case was a "stay" a temporary ban on the ban until a larger court case could be held. And I know this isn't the larger court case (that would probably be Supreme Court, right?), but does this have any additional effects other then the ACLU case? Will airport workers take this one more seriously than the previous one (which they pretty much disreguarded)? Does this provide legal ammunition towards the final fight?

Nobility

Banned
Great news, not over but a positive action.

I wonder how long until we hear the blowback, live on Twitter!

I thought the Super Bowl would be the main event this weekend, maybe not..

Mortemis

Banned
Let's go. Our AG putting in the work.

No doubt Trump's gonna say stupid shit and act like the court has no power though.

This showdown is coming sooner or later. The courts can't let Trump walk all over them or it will set the tone for his whole term.
If Federal law enforcement fails to enforce the judge's orders then the states need to send in their own law enforcement to arrest the feds.

I'm concerned that he'll simply ignore the order, then arrest anyone that tries to enforce it. CBP ignored the previous judicial decision without consequence, so they already know they can get away with it.

Well if it gets to that, we have a coup don't we?

iammeiam

So can someone who knows legal stuff better than I do explain what this means?

I know the earlier ACLU case was a "stay" a temporary ban on the ban until a larger court case could be held. And I know this isn't the larger court case (that would probably be Supreme Court, right?), but does this have any additional effects other then the ACLU case? Will airport workers take this one more seriously than the previous one (which they pretty much disreguarded)? Does this provide legal ammunition towards the final fight?

As I understand it, the ACLU stay dealt with people who got to the US and were being detained and shipped back. So only people who were getting in the US were impacted, but people could still be barred from getting on planes and flying here.

This is going at the ban itself--basically saying the EO is unconstitutional and he can't just ban Muslim countries and then pretend that's not what he's doing. So this should mean people can actually come here again--i.e., UW students and staff being barred from flying back to the US ought to be able to get on planes again.

kirblar

As I understand it, the ACLU stay dealt with people who got to the US and were being detained and shipped back. So only people who were getting in the US were impacted, but people could still be barred from getting on planes and flying here.

This is going at the ban itself--basically saying the EO is unconstitutional and he can't just ban Muslim countries and then pretend that's not what he's doing. So this should mean people can actually come here again--i.e., UW students and staff being barred from flying back to the US ought to be able to get on planes again.
The problem is the visa revocation.

Yeah judge, get em!

RTtXAVa.jpg

Soroc

Selfishly I love that this happened late Friday when Trump was on his way to Mar-a-Lago for a short vacation LOL, can't wait to see your childish tweets at 6am

Holepunch

I'll be happy if they call the Marshalls when this inevitably gets disobeyed. Otherwise the system still isn't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom