• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Section 8: Prejudice |OT| Thread of ridiculously good value $15 PSN/XBLA/GFWL

jtrov said:
Well for starts, I said "I get a feeling", meaning that's what I see happening. But if you want logic here it goes. With the game coming out during such a crowded release week, and with the Blops map pack, along with Brink (another Objective based game) around the corner, I just don't know how long the community will last. I have no interest in playing bots, so when that happens, this game won't be worth the purchase "to me".

Like i said earlier, I really enjoyed the gameplay. I may end up buying the game anyway, because I really like big teams / objective based shooters. Still, I have every right to worry about how long the community will last.

EDIT: As I scroll up to read more of this page I see I'm not the only one with this concern as well.

I didn't think of Brink, good point.

Blops and this are two very different games though , but I guess the 15 dollar price point for both might make it a 'choice' thing for some people. (which is again so illogical)

Both games scratch a very different itch, so there is no reason not to play them side by side.

The eurogamer review should give this game a nice boost, and it has the potential to be a minecraft esque 'word of mouth' thing because it's not well known and the underdog (obviously not in such an extreme way as minecraft).

All these semantics aside: Is this really a reason not to buy a good game released at a low price?
You buy it because the developers did a good job and because you will certainly get 15 dollars worth of enjoyment out of it before it ever dies off (if it does).

rac

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
If a game is good, I don't give a shit what service it's on.

And I've never had any problems with GFWL, so I'm pretty indifferent to it.

Oh, and Monday Night Combat is pretty awesome. I would definitely consider it a great game.

Well it matters. I sure as hell don't want to play a multiplayer game with 31 bots.

NewFresh

Neuromancer said:
Are you insinuating that you are, yourself, actually a bot?
avab.png

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Put about two hours into the multiplayer.

This game is great. A server browser on the 360, with 32 player dedicated servers! The ability to filter servers as well, including filtering no-bots servers.

On the game side, it's an incredibly well designed multiplayer game. Dynamic objectives that pop up randomly around the map, deployable turrets and sensor arrays to bunker in objective points, classes that are necessary and interplay very tightly.

Also, the class customization options are very intriguing and broad. Reminds me a lot of Tribes here, as you can make yourself into whatever class you can dream up.

I can't believe this game is only $15. Would have definitely paid $60 for this quality of a multiplayer experience.

I had a few really good games today with pretty good teams. I find my favorite loadout has me with those burst grenades (that only work well out in the open) a rocket launcher, a machine gun, and regular frag grenades for the places with roofs.

The hold right bumper to throw greade thing is a requirement with the burst ones. So much fun raining fire on a group if you are good with the aim.

I like too the auto aim. Very accurate for as long as it lasts and then after that you have to be pinpoint accurate. Nice balance for the ability.

FoggyFreek

I've been playing all night and find this game to be very fun and interesting. Lot's of stuff to do! I really like the 'techie' feel that it has. (hacking stuff).
The addition of buying stuff and dropping turrets is what makes a caputure really cool.

This game is really a teamsport where you are 'forced' to work together. The game forcces you and rewards you. It's not a very GOOD teamgame as you can't really interact with eachother (healing / reviving / supply ammo, etc.)

Dropping into a game is epic although you can stay alive VERY long. Especially after picking up an infiltrator suit from an infirtrator mission. DSM (Dynamic Side Missions), really nicely thought out. It's like an endless game mode changer :)

Really can recommend this!

I just had a number of great games playing on the Timegate servers. As soon as you get a good handle on everything you can do it is pretty awesome. The games are almost always 32 players. You can live for a very long time if you are strategic with your actions and have a decent loadout. Suppy stations are your lifeline though.

FoggyFreek said:
I've been playing all night and find this game to be very fun and interesting. Lot's of stuff to do! I really like the 'techie' feel that it has. (hacking stuff).
The addition of buying stuff and dropping turrets is what makes a caputure really cool.

This game is really a teamsport where you are 'forced' to work together. The game forcces you and rewards you. It's not a very GOOD teamgame as you can't really interact with eachother (healing / reviving / supply ammo, etc.)

Dropping into a game is epic although you can stay alive VERY long. Especially after picking up an infiltrator suit from an infirtrator mission. DSM (Dynamic Side Missions), really nicely thought out. It's like an endless game mode changer :)

You can heal each other.

FoggyFreek said:

Great impressions, man. Yep, Section 8 is quite different to a lot of other FPS team-based games, and does indeed have a more technical feel to it than its counterparts.

Can't wait to play on PC. I want to try out the new vehicles and all the weapon/ammo customisation.

Sounds like this might be worth the $13, GAF. How's the long-term looking for this game? Is my $13 going to get me a month worth of good community, or more?

equil

I just finished the campaign on hard, and it wasn't too bad.
The enemy AI seemed pretty intelligent as opposed to my friendly AI who shot me in the back alot.

Multiplayer is definitely where the action is at.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Sounds like this might be worth the $13, GAF. How's the long-term looking for this game? Is my $13 going to get me a month worth of good community, or more?

You will get a month at least. Servers have been full since launch.

From the official forums:

TG-Daniel said:
We're discussing autobalance and discussing playing with friends and party members. We're examining the solutions to find the best one. We read and hear your feedback and we appreciate it!
Here's hoping they can do this. Otherwise autobalance prevents me from playing with my friend on the same team against bots, which is a real bummer.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Get it on PC when it's out there if you're worried about the community.

PC gamers refuse to let go of any online. Fuck, I can still find Postal 2 MP games these days

Hopefully they'll achieve the bump in sales I assume they were aiming for by spending resources on beefing up the SP some, but personally I'd prefer if they had invested those in MP instead.

I'm liking that part of the game a lot more. I don't usually take to the multiplayer in most shooters. Battlefield is my thing. Others I try out for a couple of hours and then lose interest. But this I genuinely approve of. I think because it has the same kind of open, dynamic feel and welcoming pace. Also turrets and scifi stuff that's cool.

Ding

Wow, I was all excited to hear about this game, but it sounds like this is another game that inexplicably disallows the playing of "regular" MP matches online, with bots. Well, private ones, at least.

Can somebody please confirm that the following is not possible?

Create a private match, invite a couple friends to it. Put the humans on one team, and a mess of bots on the other. Enjoy.

Are you forced to use dedicated servers? Maybe that's why you can't do private online games. Sigh. Two steps forward, one step back.

The co-op swarm mode, surely you can play that "privately" with a few friends, right?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
VibratingDonkey said:
Hopefully they'll achieve the bump in sales I assume they were aiming for by spending resources on beefing up the SP some, but personally I'd prefer if they had invested those in MP instead.

I'm liking that part of the game a lot more. I don't usually take to the multiplayer in most shooters. Battlefield is my thing. Others I try out for a couple of hours and then lose interest. But this I genuinely approve of. I think because it has the same kind of open, dynamic feel and welcoming pace. Also turrets and scifi stuff that's cool.
If the SP isn't strong then people wouldn't buy it and the MP would be a ghost town anyway, no matter how many improvements they made to it.

Gaspode_T

I got this last night, I used to play Starsiege Tribes competitively so I hoped it would tickle the same fancy (vehicles + jet packs + tactics over twitch)

It is pretty close, especially for such a cheap game it is doable. The lock on feature makes the fact that you need to play strategically to win games a lot more obvious (rather than just deathmatch kill points) - the way they award points for hacking/assisting is good too.

The graphics and sound are great, the drop from sky is fun, the gameplay will probably balance out, I don't see why this isn't a no brainer. Play something besides twitchy point and shoot and the world will reward you with good karma!

Gaspode_T

It's frustrating to hear people whine about SP, games release without SP and they get thrashed (cough Shadowrun cough) and when they release with it, it's not enough. It's just $15. It's the same price or less as a CoD or Halo map pack, and it has way more content. I think expectations need to be reeled in, Brink will definitely give this game a run for its money but Brink seems more about speed, this game is about vehicles/jet packs/winning objectives.

Ding said:
Wow, I was all excited to hear about this game, but it sounds like this is another game that inexplicably disallows the playing of "regular" MP matches online, with bots. Well, private ones, at least.

Can somebody please confirm that the following is not possible?

Create a private match, invite a couple friends to it. Put the humans on one team, and a mess of bots on the other. Enjoy.

Are you forced to use dedicated servers? Maybe that's why you can't do private online games. Sigh. Two steps forward, one step back.

The co-op swarm mode, surely you can play that "privately" with a few friends, right?
Correct. Conquest mode with humans vs bots is not possible.

You can with Swarm mode, but that's basically Horde mode. Staying put while waves of enemies try to hack your control point. It's not bad but it's not nearly as fun as Conquest where you're all running around trying to cover all the control points.

delume

Just finished playing through the demo. The single player part was forgettable but explained the basic mechanics. The demo (360) gives you a half hour online sample of Conquest mode. Quite hectic to start with but the weapon lock is awesome and once you learn to decode the map it is a blast. Dropping in to the map and supporting 4 or 5 team mates to take a node is hella intense. It also has jump on the LB by default and we all know that is a sign of fun.

Played the 30 minute demo for about an hour and a half. I think if you don't switch servers the demo want kick you. I'm grabbing this and if you haven't, it's definitely worth a try.

What is your favorite map?

I really like the snow level quite a bit. Open and airy but with some severe changes in elevation.

Still haven't gotten a tank yet. I buy too many auto turrets.

wwm0nkey

Eden is the best map ever :lol

Also I really hope more non AAA quality games do what section 8 did here, probably got it A LOT of sales.

Elixist

Picked this up cuz i'm more than happy to support this iniative of 15 dollar multiplayer
games. (dedicated servers a huge plus ;). It also helps that I enjoyed the demo, sniping
mofos felt good and the depth to the conquest mode that I dint understand at the time
seemed interesting. After a couple matches under my belt... I .. I still dont fully
understand wtf is going on, but I'm enjoying the combat and the loadout and spawn
systems. The lock on system is interesting and sky divin into combat is fun. Graphics are
pretty good too, reminds me of Halo, clean look, and the engine runs well. Gotta say
thanks to Timegate for puttin this out there for 15 bucks and I hope there continues to be
a bright future for this 15 dollar space.

web01

Played the demo and really enjoyed it.
Feels like a cross between halo and battlefield.

Also seems like there is some real deep custimisation and character build possibilities.

Shit can get epic when your assaulting a makeshift enemy base that has a ton of turrets and enemies spawning in on it.

Will buy the full version as soon as I can get some points.

Headhunter

Neo Member
Just played the trail and I am not sure if I would pay for the whole game. Gameplay feels right, esspecially in MP. The maps are so big, best thing that you focus on certain targets and help you teammates. Graphics on the other side... nah forget it :) (maps are huge so its alright)

But what strikes me most is the setting, very SciFi like.

So how about it? Is it worth the money?

equil

Playing Swarm on hard or insane is ridiculously difficult.

I barely made it through medium without dying atleast once.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I think this is the best multiplayer shooter released since Bad Company 2. It even surpasses it in some respects for the sheer amount of innovation.

Nuborn

Just got this, freaking awesome game, its a weird twist between tribes and battlefield but it works well unlike the original section 8 where the controls just felt a bit too "clunky" for me.

Have we got a clan going yet on the stats page over on their website?

Billen

Banned
Tried the demo on the 360, but didn't really feel the controls. This probably had more to do with me playing PC FPS games for half a year or so than it had anything to do with the controls themselves, however. The gameplay itself felt solid otherwise.

That being said, can it be relased on the PC soon? Please?

Elixist

Played alot more of this game.... so good! I am fuckin beast with the snipes yo.
Everybody cop this piece of software noaw!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Really interested in this game but not sure at all how big the community is - roughly how many servers / people playing are there? I've had terrible luck with MP games recently, finding one with players and that I find fun is proving next to impossible. Can't even find a decent game in Assassin's Creed these days :\

Jedeye Sniv said:
Really interested in this game but not sure at all how big the community is - roughly how many servers / people playing are there? I've had terrible luck with MP games recently, finding one with players and that I find fun is proving next to impossible. Can't even find a decent game in Assassin's Creed these days :\

It's pretty healthy right now and I think it may hold out for quite some time. Hopefully.

Raide

Saw a Press Release earlier mentioning you can now buy Section 8 Private Server for Space Bucks (Real money too) So if anyone really want to get into it, they can purchase their own PC server and host 360 players on it.

LocoMrPollock said:
It's pretty healthy right now and I think it may hold out for quite some time. Hopefully.

Yeah. At $15 my opinion is that is you get a couple weekends out of it, it has pretty much paid for itself.

Raide

You know something, if Section 8 had a really nice engine, it would be awesome. I do hope Prejudice sold well enough to warrant a new game or at least some good DLC.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Raide said:
You know something, if Section 8 had a really nice engine, it would be awesome. I do hope Prejudice sold well enough to warrant a new game or at least some good DLC.
It's the same engine that Gears 3 and Arkham Asylum are using. My main beef is with the particle effects but UE3.0 games rarely shine in that department.

The thing that S8:p really needs is warm bodies in the servers. Hopefully the low price does the trick.

Raide

SapientWolf said:
It's the same engine that Gears 3 and Arkham Asylum are using. My main beef is with the particle effects but UE3.0 games rarely shine in that department.

The thing that S8:p really needs is warm bodies in the servers. Hopefully the low price does the trick.

Really? Game could do with some AA. Overall I am enjoying the SP side of things, despite my initial thoughts they should have cut it to spend more time on the MP side.

I will hope on MP later to see if anyone is still around. :D

e_i said:
Played the Xbox demo...bought the PC (Steam) version.
heh this is how I feel too, I like the demo a lot but since it's coming to pc too it really does feel like it will play better with a mouse, it's got live cheese mints too so no loss :p

Will both versions play each other? if not they are both going to lose players after a few months.

Just an update: The population for the game seems to be holding strong. I realize its only two weeks out but it's nice to see that people are sticking with it. I'd love to add some 360 gamertags to my list for some party play.

Top Bottom