• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Section 8: Prejudice |OT| Thread of ridiculously good value $15 PSN/XBLA/GFWL

Billen

Banned
Never thought about the GFWL impact on preload. Anyhow, wish I had bought this from some other service than Steam. Surely wont buy a GFWL/game without preload there in the future if that is the reason.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Want some impressions from the PC goers in this thread. Slightly interested and $15 is definitely manageable.

Billen said:
Never thought about the GFWL impact on preload. Anyhow, wish I had bought this from some other service than Steam. Surely wont buy a GFWL/game without preload there in the future if that is the reason.

If it makes any difference, D2D seem to have decent download speeds from the get-go. They've been going from strength to strength of late.

Red

PC guys: how's this compare to the first game? I really like Section 8 but didn't play it for too long since it didn't have a very large userbase.

Billen

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
If it makes any difference, D2D seem to have decent download speeds from the get-go. They've been going from strength to strength of late.

Interesting,. I will definately check D2D before Steam next time I will be buying a game. This is just ridiculous.

Are there any of you that bought it via Steam that has managed to download it, aside from those who pressed Install the minute it got released?

Updated Steam download solution: For us non-us gaffers, I just read the advice to enter your Steam settings and change download region to USA. It worked perfectly! Remember to change your settings back after the download is done, since some games use it for ingame configuration.

From the official forums (PS3/360 side):

Good afternoon everyone. We have put up a server for the purpose of testing an upcoming change to autobalance, meant to match and keep friends playing together on the same team. Before rolling this change out to every server we want to test it to ensure it does its job.

The host's gamertag is GFDRTGSA1630 and the name of the server is Hotfix Stagging Test. If possible, please jump on to this server with a few friends and play a few rounds. The rules of this server should aggressively autobalance friends together, either during warm-up before a game begins or any time the server needs to rebalance itself to keep teams even.

Report back and let us know if you saw an improvement!

Raide

Just had about 5 or 6 games without any lockups. Feels good.

Has a good team, everything was working well and even ended up on the top of the leaderboard for 1 of the matches. Really do like this game. :D

Raide

I Push Fat Kids said:
Impulse bought... Good choice?

If you can find some like-minded people to play with, plus you like doing objective missions and shooting stuff, I think you will be ok.

Kevtones

Raide said:
If you can find some like-minded people to play with, plus you like doing objective missions and shooting stuff, I think you will be ok.

Is there GAF clan-ish? I just needed a new MP shooter and for $15 this sounded tempting.

My gamertag is I Push Fat Kids also.

Raide

I Push Fat Kids said:
Is there GAF clan-ish? I just needed a new MP shooter and for $15 this sounded tempting.

My gamertag is I Push Fat Kids also.

Hrmm...I know a few GAF people are playing, plus you can actually make Clans via the website. Trying to find everyone on can be hard. :D

Billen said:
Interesting,. I will definately check D2D before Steam next time I will be buying a game. This is just ridiculous.

Are there any of you that bought it via Steam that has managed to download it, aside from those who pressed Install the minute it got released?

Updated Steam download solution: For us non-us gaffers, I just read the advice to enter your Steam settings and change download region to USA. It worked perfectly! Remember to change your settings back after the download is done, since some games use it for ingame configuration.
Thanks a lot for the tip. I had been trying to download the game for 2 hours!

HBroward said:
It's around 5.5 GB. 5499 MB to be precise.

Damn, I wonder why it's so much bigger. Maybe the textures are higher res.

Still trying to decide if I should DD. My main gaming buddies already have it on 360, but I would kinda like the extra IQ and to see how it handles with M/KB.

Billen

Banned
Been playing for a while now (PC). I am really enjoying this. The spawning system keeps snipers on their toes and really changes the game. I was afraid that the guns would feel puny, but the gunplay feels pretty solid so far. Perhaps a bit on the weak side. Also, I would change some gun sounds if I had the chance. :D

One more thing, people really seem to care about the side missions so far. Pretty good, and it gives the games a more dynamic feel.

Game downloaded while at work but i've drank some booze and feel a bit light headed, will play in the morning :p

General feedback on the PC version? being UE3 I expect easy super-sampling at a low cost :D

Raide said:
Arrgg! 2 games now where I keep loosing connection with the host.
No pc dedicated servers up yet or are they all full?

NOOOOOOOO! And such.

Can't open installer from D2D downloader, so I have to go into the folder manually.

Once installed, doesn't even load up. Nothing registers in the task manager, have fiddled about with compatibility...nothing. The greatest of expectations met with the saddest realisations. Hopefully the Timegate forums offer up an idea.

Pein

Banned
Diablohead said:
Game downloaded while at work but i've drank some booze and feel a bit light headed, will play in the morning :p

General feedback on the PC version? being UE3 I expect easy super-sampling at a low cost :D

No pc dedicated servers up yet or are they all full?
buttery smooth on my friends rig and his pc is a couple years old.

Pein said:
buttery smooth on my friends rig and his pc is a couple years old.
I just quickly played the training stage, slid 60fps on my setup which I did think might stutter, I have to say the pistol feels like Halo CE in terms of power per shot lol

Pylon_Trooper said:
NOOOOOOOO! And such.

Can't open installer from D2D downloader, so I have to go into the folder manually.

Once installed, doesn't even load up. Nothing registers in the task manager, have fiddled about with compatibility...nothing. The greatest of expectations met with the saddest realisations. Hopefully the Timegate forums offer up an idea.

Sorry to hear that my friend. Hopefully you have it sorted and are around for some gaming this eve!

Lanbeast

Anyone have any issues with sound? While playing the tutorial/beginning of the campaign, I can't hear any voices. All the sound effects work, but no voices.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lanbeast said:
Anyone have any issues with sound? While playing the tutorial/beginning of the campaign, I can't hear any voices. All the sound effects work, but no voices.
That means the meds must be working.

Do you have a headset plugged in? Might also want to check the audio mix in the options menu. Another possibility is that the game thinks you have surround sound and is sending them all to a non-existent center channel.

taoofjord

I grabbed it on Steam and have been playing Multiplayer and I'm LOVING IT TO DEATH. As a huge Tribes fan I have to say that this is the closest I've gotten to the feel of Tribes but it's also the closest I've gotten to the good ol' days of pc gaming. It's a ton of fun and so, so worth the $15. I hope this fantastic game doesn't get compltely overlooked :(

Also, the PC version definitely looks and runs a lot nicer than the 360 version so if you are on the fence of pc vs console for this game I recommend the pc version.

And in case anyone is curious, I didn't much care for the original Section 8, though perhaps I didn't give it much of a chance.

Between this, Frozen Synapse, and Mount & Blade: Warband I'm in nostalgic pc gaming heaven. :)

Kevtones

Seems like a rad game but I skipped the tutorial accidentally and played a couple games... WTF am I doing?!?!

Eager to figure things out though!

EXGN

I Push Fat Kids said:
Seems like a rad game but I skipped the tutorial accidentally and played a couple games... WTF am I doing?!?!

Did the same thing haha, so lost. I did terrible my first game, went 1-6 but my one kill was an orbital drop straight on to an enemy so it was worth it.

Think I'll go through the single-player mode to get a feel for the weapons and stuff before trying online again haha.

Raide

I Push Fat Kids said:

At the most basic, each map has capture points which you either have to capture for your team, or hack the enemy point and take it back. Doing so gives you more points and also lets you drop in without getting shot by AA Guns. :D You will see these as numbered boxes on the key bases. The colour they are indicates which team has them.

Outside of capturing bases, the game dynamically adds objectives for you, which are displayed on the right side, along with a timer and you usually get the announcer saying something. Completing these grants more points, xp etc and helps your team win faster. They range from the simple, Kill all the marked player targets or collecting scrap, then to the harder objectives like Killing/Defending a VIP or Vehicle Convoy. (The Difficulty depends largely on how well the team works together.)

The more you complete the more points you get which help you win. You also get money which allows you to drop in objects like supply depots, radars, mini-guns, AA Turrets and later various vehicles which can turn the tide when it comes to some of the above missions. You don't have to use the money, since there is usually a load of people dropping stuff but it certainly helps out if you find yourself needing a little more firepower to stay alive.

Oh, and shoot stuff in the face. :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
taoofjord said:
Also, the PC version definitely looks and runs a lot nicer than the 360 version so if you are on the fence of pc vs console for this game I recommend the pc version.
This is a no brainer. Even if all assets were the same with matching res, the frame rate alone would make it better.

I like the single player so far, it's simple but keeps you moving. The weapons and gunplay in this game feel solid too which helps a lot, all weapons feel like they are doing some damage.

Anyone changed any settings to allow MSAA or ambient occlusion? being an UE3 title.

taoofjord

LiquidMetal14 said:
This is a no brainer. Even if all assets were the same with matching res, the frame rate alone would make it better.

Well I found the 360 version to be lower of resolution/more jaggy than it should be for a 360 game. I didn't say that previous comment because I can't stand to play games on the 360 or anything... I just noticed that the disparity between the two is larger than usual. And I also didn't care for the feel of the aiming on the 360 version (the acceleration and dead zone are a bit funky) whereas it feels fine on the mouse.

Anyway, people need to buy this! It really is a fantastic game. Go read the eurogamer review if you don't believe the positive initial impressions:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-20-section-8-prejudice-review

Billen

Banned
There are lots of decent servers (PC version) filled with players. With decent ping. Europe, here I come to steal all your bases. Because they, like, belong to me.

Deadstar

I preordered the game through Steam and played a bit of campaign when I got home. It seems pretty fun so far. I like the powers and gun play. It also runs really smooth. I wish there were a few more video options though.

I'll try multiplayer tonight.

I love the multi, at first I was being killed and sniped from every angle every moment of the fight but I am learning, becoming crafty and owning people with napalm grenades :p

Problem, I bought the pc DLC for 240 allards which is napalm airstrike, flaming shotgun shells and some unique looking armour but the download will not work, says access denied :/ i've paid dammit let me have my dlc!

Kevtones

Thanks for tips folks.

I was actually pretty drunk when I booted it up but after a couple hours, things started to click. It's a ROBUST game. I really like the way battles are structured.

This game is ridiculously good. At first I wasn't a fan of the shooting but its really grown on me.

The choices in the game...its amazing how well-balanced the game is in spite of the choices given. With the shield, you have JUST enough time to use skill in combat--getting the drop on someone doesn't automatically equal a kill. This won't please the greedy whore in you but using your jetpack to fly above an opponent, launch a mini artillery strike, while locking on and firing your rifle is ridiculously satisfying. Every skill and attribute you earn, every unlock has a positive and negative, and there are so many different situations to apply them to, its rare that it feels unbalanced.

It has much more lets-sprint-then-use-our-jetpacks-and-meet-up-with-two-mechs-on-their-way-to-assault-a-base-and-then-all-hell-breaks-loose action than your average game.

wwm0nkey

Good to see some more people enjoying this :)

Hope this gets more popular when the assault game mode comes out and they extend xbox trial times.

TheBear

This game has really surprised me. I booted up the SP just to see what it was like and was instantly hooked. However I'm getting a ton of screen tearing. Also, where's the server list at? Matchmaking blows. Overall the $13 I spent is well justified.

Booshka

The aiming on 360 is very poorly designed, it feels very sloppy. If you just circle your right thumbstick quickly you can see how off the x and y axes are. Ogre Twitch for you Halo fans is what I am talking about. I like the concept and the dedicated servers, but the core mechanics are lacking, it is hard for me to get into it. I assume the PC version is fine because of M+KB, a lot of devs still don't know how to make aiming on console fluid. Too bad, because this game has some cool aspects and originality.

wwm0nkey

Booshka said:
The aiming on 360 is very poorly designed, it feels very sloppy. If you just circle your right thumbstick quickly you can see how off the x and y axes are. Ogre Twitch for you Halo fans is what I am talking about. I like the concept and the dedicated servers, but the core mechanics are lacking, it is hard for me to get into it. I assume the PC version is fine because of M+KB, a lot of devs still don't know how to make aiming on console fluid. Too bad, because this game has some cool aspects and originality.
Change sensitivity to 35 or 40 and it feels a lot better.

Aiming is off but it isn't terrible and totally not as bad as Turok.

Booshka

wwm0nkey said:
Change sensitivity to 35 or 40 and it feels a lot better.

Aiming is off but it isn't terrible and totally not as bad as Turok.
Ya I'll try that, I'm very picky when it comes to aiming models on console, this game has one of the worst I've played. My friend actually got it for me, he wanted a game we could both play (and that he was good at), but I still talk shit on it, it is so jank.

wwm0nkey

Booshka said:
Ya I'll try that, I'm very picky when it comes to aiming models on console, this game has one of the worst I've played. My friend actually got it for me, he wanted a game we could both play (and that he was good at), but I still talk shit on it, it is so jank.
Well to be fair they do have that auto-aim button in there for a reason.

Top Bottom