• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

AmyS

hKCxikn.jpg

https://twitter.com/SEGA?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Finally.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hopefully it was delayed to coincide with the announcement of 3D Power Drift and 3D Puyo Puyo 2 for the West.
SURPRISE, Sonic 2 is now part of Wave 3.....& 3D Sonic 3 to be confirmed along with Power Drift & Puyo Puyo 2.

....please?....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
YEEEEESSSS, finally. I posted a while back they said they were trying to bring them over, but might've been something to do with licensing & such. I would gladly buy a bundle of most of the system themes. Guessing we'll get them next week w/ Sonic 2.

Hell, kind of wish Nintendo would take inspiration & make their own themes on their systems.

Lettuce

So im guessing we'll never see an eShop release of Puyo Puyo 2 in non Japanese speaking regions???.......and still Puyo Puyo 2 seems like a really odd game to give the 3ds treatment.

Hope we see Outrunners at some point

ghibli99

Said it before, but Power Drift would make my life complete!

I'll also gladly take Shinobi, Alien Syndrome, Golden Axe, Super Monaco GP... and so on and so forth. ;)

Slermy

Looks like Japan is getting Vol. 2 of SEGA 3D Classics at retail with another awesome cover by Ken Sugimori!

CPucmqPUcAAYLBX.jpg

Just look at that hnnnggh

tweet

Man, they need to sell that as a poster.

https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/649654046727520256

The letters 'T', 'H', 'E', 'M', 'E' all glow, in that order. If I had to guess, it would be that the Sega console themes are coming to the NA/EU 3DS store... (Sorry if OT)

Man, I loved the "Welcome to the Next Level" marketing back in the day. Not sure why.

wondermega

So now I am curious. I was more or less expecting Sega 3DS Classics to go the way of the dodo following the 1st phase. Pleasantly surprised that they keep coming and as usual I will continue to download the lion's share of what comes down the pipe.

But honestly, is this proper validation that it is a money-making proposition for Sega and M2? The only notion we have that it's not falling flat is that releases have kept coming steadily(well, steadily enough) to the point that a few "dream games" have been trickling out and not just more "Altered Beasts" and things that they know will sell for sure..

It's painfully evident, for a long time now, that Nintendo is pretty far from interested at producing anymore 3DS versions of their own retro titles. Does it still seem ludicrous to think that other IP holders from the good ol' days might follow suit and hire M2 (or similar company) to port some other games over? If only to consider just using the existing Genesis and SMS emulators that run 3D versions of games, and yes of course there's much more work to convert a game to run in the format than "piping it through the emulator" but is it cost-prohibitive enough versus the potential sales they could get? Do no other companies care about it anymore.. I know, wishful thinking, but it is kind of curious.

Not only is 3D Power Drift coming, but the barcade opening near me (Richardson, TX) apparently has a version of the game! I can't wait to play it, even if this one's just an upright.

So, what's with the "classic" retro TV look that is extremely curved? Who had a TV that was that bad? I really wish they'd patch all of these to let the intensity be adjustable because it's so close to being a cool feature, but it's just so curved that it appears silly.

I like the CRT glow feature they're using a lot.

What was changed in the JP cart release of Space Harrier? I need to know so I can be sad about not having the best version :)

daydream

Banned
the only bummer so far in all of these releases is the sonic games not getting the ios taxman stuff whereas all the other games have found their definitive version (or one of) through this initiative

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, already expressed my disappointment over no Hidden Palace Zone. I tried the mobile version & I just can't stand "virtual" controls on a touch screen.

Tizoc

Yup, already expressed my disappointment over no Hidden Palace Zone. I tried the mobile version & I just can't stand "virtual" controls on a touch screen.

While there is an add-on controller for iPhones and iPads, I'm baffled those 2 games still weren't released on PSN and Steam. We got friggin' Sonic CD, why hold out 2 of the actual best Sonic games?

@MUWANdo

Banned
But it looks like they've Americanized the themes :(

Yeah, they're not the exact same themes Japan has, or at least the Game Gear one isn't. They've said there may be licensing issues that could affect some of them outside of Japan, which is odd.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I actually noticed the Game Gear one has a few changes for the US version. The Game Gear now changes the game screen instead of the color of the system itself & the folders are the US box art of....Sonic 2, was it(?), instead of the JPN version.

I'd imagine for the Mega Drive & Mega CD, that one will get a bit of a change due to the different names.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
eShop, & to an extent, the Theme Shop, updates on Thursdays at 9 a.m. PT/Noon ET. Though themes are a bit more random as to when they appear.

sörine

Banned
That Sonic 2 interview has me dreaming of 3D Virtua Racing now.

So im guessing we'll never see an eShop release of Puyo Puyo 2 in non Japanese speaking regions???.......and still Puyo Puyo 2 seems like a really odd game to give the 3ds treatment.

Hope we see Outrunners at some point
I don't see why? M2 localized Arcade Wonder Boy in Monster Land as well as Monster World IV for Wii VC/PSN/XBLA so they've done it before. We also got MD Puyo Puyo Tsuu on Wii VC unlocalized so they could go that route too.

Sonic 2 really has a nice color palette.

21946297746_7548caea28.jpg
Agreed! I'm really eager to pick this up for my 3DS every screen I see, it's such a lovely looking and sounding game and I'd love to have it work on my 3DS and would gladly support such a great effort to get it working in 3D and in the mainstream's eyes. I wish though there was a way to turn off the bottom screen while you played their 3D classics though.

wait, are some of the themes up already? gotta see how much, totally wanna grab a few

yesssss
this'd be amazing haha

i hear this a lot, but can't agree. as an SMS kid, Genesis was fuckin' magical

As a British Megadrive owner, I can confirm that the Japanese Megadrive has yhe best styling. That massive Genesis logo looks awful!

Top Bottom