• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA AM2 Collection Vol. 1 |OT| Now you can Model 2

Rlan

The leaderboards are only for 'battle points' or something. It must be multiplayer leaderboards only because I went through Arcade and wasn't on them.

Yeah, Battle Points are for online RANKED games, and more people are likely to be playing Player Matches or not online at all.

Rlan

Continuing the magazine stuff:

tumblr_me1isjEP071rkrwaco1_500.jpg

I got a reply from Sega about adding 16:9 support. Everyone that wants it added should contact them as well =D

Nico B., Nov 29 14:24 (PST):

Hello,

Thank you for the input. I will pass this request over to the devs, and hopefully they will address it in a future patch. This is also a good topic to bring up on our community forums.

http://forums.sega.com/

Regards,
Nico B.
SEGA of America
Customer Support

Have not bought these yet...is a preferred system, as in better performance? PSN or XBLA?

I got it on XBLA, a few people playing online

Why so empty Fighting Vipers? Ranked is totally dead, wish more people were playing.

what platform are you on?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Fighters Megamix was amazing! Whats it take to get 'em to re-release that?

And while they're at it and fudging around with unreleased characters, a port of Virtua Fighter with Siba in it? (Then re-re-release a collection of 'em all on disc so I would buy them).

So first time playing Sonic the Fighters, it plays better then it looks! also after all this time following sonic beta stuff it's really nice of sega to fix up Honey and make her a hidden character, hats off to you!

@MUWANdo

Banned
I noticed it immediately in Virtua Fighter 2 in the RGG5 demo. If you try both approaches back to back (as I've done with games in MAME) it's very apparent.

The VF2 port in Yakuza 5 is not the same as the XBLA/PSN release, in case you didn't already know.

re: patching in 16:9 in a future update, forget it. the sales of these games wont merit the extra work or the re-certification fees, sadly. *maybe* in future model 2/model 3 releases but i doubt that as well.

out of all 3 of these titles, i'd wager sonic fighters has the longest legs. what with its name recognition and all. i'm sure it will garner quite a few curious/impulse buys years to come from people casually browsing and/or looking for sonic stuff.

Galdelico

I wonder what a Fighter's Megamix on Model 2 would look like.

Here's a perfect comparison to explain how Fighting Vipers 2 on DC was rushed and missing lots of geometry for stages.

DC

http://youtu.be/4vduiJzOT5A?t=5m2s

Arcade

http://youtu.be/722XVN4Q_uE?t=5m49s

Shameful. Dead or Alive 2 managed lots of geometry well.
Damn, didn't think the FV2's port on the Dreacast could be so poor. That doesn't even seem the same arena.

Also, I know it will never happen, but I'd love a Model-2-Collection-level-of-quality edition of the original Dead or Alive.

I wonder what a Fighter's Megamix on Model 2 would look like.

Here's a perfect comparison to explain how Fighting Vipers 2 on DC was rushed and missing lots of geometry for stages.

DC

http://youtu.be/4vduiJzOT5A?t=5m2s

Arcade

http://youtu.be/722XVN4Q_uE?t=5m49s

Shameful. Dead or Alive 2 managed lots of geometry well.

That comparison just seems to be looking out to sea on the same stage on the DC version? The buildings are there to the right, or am I missing something here? The arcade version also has a point in the fight where the geometry is pretty.. sparse in the background.

I wish I had scans of all my old Official UK Sega Saturn magazine.. their import coverage near the end of its life was righteous. The Saturn was such an incredible underdog in the final throes of its life.

Baron

What are the odds Sega will bundle these along with JSR and Nights and whatever other ports they may release, and put out a physical disc release? I'd really love that.

BdoUK

With Daytona USA and the recent AM2 releases it looks like Sega has really nailed Model 2 emulation / conversion on current gen systems. But what's the current state of Model 3 emulation? Videos I've seen on Youtube indicate there is still some work to be done. Are current gen systems powerful enough and is it simply a matter of working out issues with the current Model 3 emulators.

What I'd really love to see now in terms of Model 2 stuff is a Widescreen arcade perfect Sega Rally port.... Then when/if we ever do get onto Model 3... Virtua Fighter 3, Daytona 2, Sega Rally 2 and Scud Race... It has to be done Sega!!

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
What I'd really love to see now in terms of Model 2 stuff is a Widescreen arcade perfect Sega Rally port.... Then when/if we ever do get onto Model 3... Virtua Fighter 3, Daytona 2, Sega Rally 2 and Scud Race... It has to be done Sega!!

Yeah, if they give Sega Rally Championship the Daytona USA treatment, I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks for it (not realistic for Sega so the Daytona pricing would be fine too).

Just thinking about it... oh god yes.

Yeah, if they give Sega Rally Championship the Daytona USA treatment, I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks for it (not realistic for Sega so the Daytona pricing would be fine too).

Yeah exactly. It's so awesome to see them finally breaking out of this '16bit rom compilation' crap and bringing out the big boys..!

SkylineRKR

Probably won't happen like that. We got Daytona at its god like status because there was already Sega Racing Classic in the Arcades which was Daytona USA on RingWide hardware, boasting native 720p and widescreen. Sega ported this version over.

If SR gets ported, I reckon its the model 2 game and at the same quality as these 3. Which is not bad at all mind you.

BdoUK

I had forgotten about Sega Rally. Before Daytona USA hit the 360 and PS3 there was the arcade update called Sega Racing Classic. I'm assuming a lot of the emulation / development use there was used in bringing Daytona USA to current gen home consoles (i.e. widescreen was already implemented in the arcade update). Sega Rally hasn't received a similar treatment, but given the number of Model 2 games available it shouldn't be difficult to bring the rest of the library to 360 / PS3 with proper widescreen support.

What are the odds Sega will bundle these along with JSR and Nights and whatever other ports they may release, and put out a physical disc release? I'd really love that.

Yeah I'd love this too, they could make a few. Collection of racers, fighters and platformers.

SkylineRKR

Sure, I'd probably buy them all. Even Sega Touring Car for its ridiculous sense of speed.

I wonder what games Sega is going to port over next. These are the Model 2 games:

Behind Enemy Lines (1997)
Cyber Troopers Virtual-On (1995)
Daytona USA (1994)
Dead or Alive (1996)
Desert Tank (1994)
Dynamite Baseball (1996)
Dynamite Baseball 97 (1997)
Dynamite Cop / Dynamite Deka 2 (1998)
Fighting Vipers (1995)
Gunblade NY (1995)
House of the Dead, The (1996)
Indy 500 (1995)
Last Bronx / Tokyo Bangaichi (1996)
Manx TT Superbike (1995)
Motor Raid (1997)
Over Rev (1997)
Pilot Kids (1998)
Power Sled (1996)
Rail Chase 2 (1994)
Sega Rally Championship (1995)
Sega Ski Super G (1996)
Sega Touring Car Championship (1996)
Sega Water Ski (1997)
Sky Target (1995)
Sonic The Fighters / Sonic Championship (1996)
Super GT 24H (1996)
Top Skater (1997)
Virtua Cop (1994)
Virtua Cop 2 (1995)
Virtua Fighter 2 (1995)
Virtua Fighter 2.1 (1995)
Virtua Fighter 2 Ver.B (1995)
Virtua Striker (1994)
Wave Runner (1996)
Zero Gunner (1997)

I think you can rule out the third party games (Zero Gunner in particular, Tecmo might be possible seeing VF in DoA5) and Top Skater (TH Ride compatible lol). Seeing as 360 has no lightgun stuff I guess we won't get VC and HotD1 either unless Sega pulls a HotD4 and goes PSN only for those.

So there aren't that many left I think. Hopefully Desert Tank, Last Bronx, Manx, SR and STCC. And then Model 3.

Sure, I'd probably buy them all. Even Sega Touring Car for its ridiculous sense of speed.

I wonder what games Sega is going to port over next. These are the Model 2 games:

I think you can rule out the third party games (Zero Gunner in particular, Tecmo might be possible seeing VF in DoA5) and Top Skater (TH Ride compatible lol). Seeing as 360 has no lightgun stuff I guess we won't get VC and HotD1 either unless Sega pulls a HotD4 and goes PSN only for those.

So there aren't that many left I think. Hopefully Desert Tank, Last Bronx, Manx, SR and STCC. And then Model 3.

Dynamite Cop is probably out too. In the off-chance they do, they'd probably use the DC version.
Gunblade NY was ported to Wii.

SkylineRKR

I think the DC version was identical to the arcade version, with the exception of those butt ugly FMV.

I hated Dynamite Cop, yet I loved Die Hard Arcade.

And then Model 3.

I've gotta have some Model 3. The home ports didn't quite do it justice. I want that arcade perfect VF3!

And Scud Race...drool. Though I doubt we'll get that given the Ferrari license on 360 is in Microsoft's hands. Who knows if Sega wants to spend the money to sublicense it.

SkylineRKR

HotD1 is criminally overlooked. 2 and 3 are whored to death and although 4 was a nice shock release (its one of my most played games of this year I think.. Move still sucks but its better than nothing), its rather weird that the first game has never been released again.

The last time I played HotD1 must've been the arcade game somewhere in 1998 before it was being replaced by the second game. I ignored the Saturn version and PC versions I never cared about.

A VF3 release would be cool anyway, if only for the fact the load times during team battle would be history. It was the sole reason I never played Team Battle mode on DC. Being able to switch between vanilla and TB versions would be nice.

But top of my list are Daytona 2, was addicted to it, and SR2 because that game deserves a good port for once. Mothafucka was huge in Europe!

xemumanic

re: patching in 16:9 in a future update, forget it. the sales of these games wont merit the extra work or the re-certification fees, sadly. *maybe* in future model 2/model 3 releases but i doubt that as well.

Don't discount the possibility because of that. First patch is free if I'm not mistaken, so it could happen. Better to amass a list of bugs/fixes that are needed anyway, maybe they can do them all one time.

Don't discount the possibility because of that. First patch is free if I'm not mistaken, so it could happen. Better to amass a list of bugs/fixes that are needed anyway, maybe they can do them all one time.

Also they patched NiGHTS and I just cant imagine that game sold gamebusters (especially given its already heavily discounted). The best we can do is contact them at the previously listed info in this thread to let them know its something we'd like.

flattie

I finally see Sega's devious scheme...why make your own console when you can assimilate the PS3/360 using their network platforms? Looking at my PSN game list you'd be forgiven for wondering why the console doesn't have a big Sega logo plonked on the front.

Am hyped for VF2 and hope we get to see Sega Rally, Touring Cars, Manx TT and Last Bronx at some point. Model 3 needs to happen too, I wonder if they'd ever try and get the rights to re-release the Jurassic Park light gun game; loved it back in the day.

Must have been Gems 2 then, because I only owned that one.
There is no such thing as "Gems 2". It's just Gems Collection.

You're probably confusing it with Sonic Mega Collection, which came out really early on in the Gamecube's life and only had Genesis games, compared to Gems, which was late into it and had a (rather bad) port of Sonic CD, a (rather good) port of Sonic the Fighters, and a(n actually really good) port of Sonic R. Also had the entire Streets of Rage trilogy and Bonanza Bros. in Japan for some reason, but that got cut in the Western releases, disappointingly (Vectorman and its sequel, meanwhile, remained).

Let's not even start on the number of System 32 games not yet ported. Rad Mobile, for starters, could use a definitive port: Gale Racer on the Saturn has issues. Then there's stuff like OutRunners, Jurassic Park, and Dark Edge. Same can be said for earlier catalogues from the System 16 era.

I, for one, desperately want to play Cool Riders at home for the first time ever. That game's got no hope, though, because of its unique PCB.

GrayFoxPL

Some Sega releases are not probable.

Scud Race has licensed cars.

Die Hard Arcade is Die Hard - no go, Dynamite Cop (and PS2 remake) had no license but is Japanese only.

Fighters Megamix is original Saturn release and it's not scalable to HD, it would look like shit
with those assets no matter what. Would take a full remake and we know Sega won't waste money on it to sell 300 copies.

Some Sega releases are not probable.

Scud Race has licensed cars.

Die Hard Arcade is Die Hard - no go, Dynamite Cop (and PS2 remake) had no license but is Japanese only.

Fighters Megamix is original Saturn release and it's not scalable to HD, it would look like shit
with those assets no matter what. Would take a full remake and we know Sega won't waste money on it to sell 300 copies.
Dynamite Cop came out in America.

edit: beaten

GrayFoxPL

First Dynamite Cop?

If so my bad.

Edit: I meant Dynamite Deka and it's remake. Deka is "Cop" but Dynamite Cop is actually Deka 2.

Top Bottom