• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate healthcare repeal bill fails - Collins, Murkowski, and McCain voted no

Ishan

This is now the second time McConnell's fast and loose use of senate procedure has bitten him this process

The way he's handled this entire process has been shameful and amateur.

In his effort to move fast and keep the bill a secret for as long as possible, he's doomed it.

He should resign immediately. This is an embarrassing loss for him, and it's obvious he's in no position to lead the senate anymore

i think the only reason this got so far is due to him trying every tactic as his disposal. If anything its more a reason for him to stay on ... he almost managed to pull off the impossible (I remember ppl were so sure no way senate passes this and it came super close)

Garlador

McCain did the right thing and saved a lot of lives.

Regardless of your political leanings or personal feelings towards him, that is huge, and I'm enormously grateful.

Seventy70

Nfs8LeK.gif

Someone turn this into a DBZ gif please.

I wake up to this. I like how Trump's tweet only said 3 Republican. He ain't going to say who after praising McCain for coming to vote for the debate.

i think the only reason this got so far is due to him trying every tactic as his disposal. If anything its more a reason for him to stay on ... he almost managed to pull off the impossible (I remember ppl were so sure no way senate passes this and it came super close)
But it died due to those dirty schemes

This could have passed back in June had he actually did this the right way. He lost a lot of support from his senators for constantly trying to pull fast ones on them.

TS-08

I wake up to this. I like how Trump's tweet only said 3 Republican. He ain't going to say who after praising McCain for coming to vote for the debate.

You think Trump won't say something now just because he said the opposite earlier? We're too late in the Trump game to still believe things like that.

theWB27

On the flipside...what does it say about your leadership when it's solely on your party to pass your agenda and it fails? To Paul and Mcconnellllll....there's no way missing a layup on a fastbreak can be seen as a successful play.

Beartruck

This could have passed back in June had he actually did this the right way. He lost a lot of support from his senators for constantly trying to pull fast ones on them.
Pretty much. McConnell didn't make the bill a collaborative process. Had he included all republicans from the get-go it probably would have passed. Instead, he had 10 dudes write portions of it in secret, threw it together and dropped it on the floor in front of everyone. Dude was acting like a drunk teenager on Prom night, WAY too eager and aggressive.

It was also a massive expenditure of political capital, leverage, time, comity, trust, and on and on, for nothing. He's blown through almost the entire legislative calendar and upended every expectation of parliamentary norms for nothing.

Any Congressional leader can keep trying to ram something through over and over and over until they get what they want if they pay no heed to literally any possible consequence or ramification. The reason why there were a lot time-of-death calls for the bill over the last few months was because it seemed bizarre that they would risk wasting so much time to potentially end up... here.

You can "almost pull off the impossible" through sheer obstinacy and desperation.

platocplx

John McCain you finally did something right. You SOB. However. He should have freaking voted no Way before for this damn political theater. I expected waking up and americans getting screwed. But I guess maybe we live to see another day.

Good he did something this time. But this still isn't over.

kc44135

I don't understand. Is healthcare repeal dead for now, or are they just going to try again tomorrow? I want to know so I can sleep at night again, lol.

Sean C

(I remember ppl were so sure no way senate passes this and it came super close)
If you're referring to predictions about the Senate not passing a bill in general, the only way McConnell got this close was by promising people that this bill would not become law. He still has never come close to getting an actual bill that people actually want to pass into law.

Incidentally, boy has Dean Heller left himself exposed. And inexplicably, too, since he's actually up for re-election next year.

Not to mention he successfully stole a supreme court seat.

Blader

I'm stunned. When I went to bed last night, I thought for sure this was passing on 50 + Pence. I'm absolutely shocked.

Good on McCain for doing the right thing.

120v

sad it came down to three senators to shoot down this garbage. i sort of expected a handful more

but whatever. i'll take the W

Sir Doom

So couple days ago. GAF shitting on McCain like Trump thanking McCain for coming back.

Fast forward to now. GAF quickly 180 on the guy

🤣
Irony?

kaskade

I need to buy from the marketplace in a few months, this news made me shed a tear of joy. I was fully expecting to want to throw up like I did in november.

Thank you McCain, Murkowski, and Collins. It's nice to see there are (very) few who can stand up for what is right.

Godspeed John McCain.

And FUCK YOU TURTLE.

Also, Lindsay Graham is a lying piece of shit. Glad to see him sell himself out for his party and STILL lose.

Ishan

On the flipside...what does it say about your leadership when it's solely on your party to pass your agenda and it fails? To Paul and Mcconnellllll....there's no way missing a layup on a fastbreak can be seen as a successful play.

It was also a massive expenditure of political capital, leverage, time, comity, trust, and on and on, for nothing. He's blown through almost the entire legislative calendar and upended every expectation of parliamentary norms for nothing.

Any Congressional leader can keep trying to ram something through over and over and over until they get what they want if they pay no heed to literally any possible consequence or ramification. The reason why there were a lot time-of-death calls for the bill over the last few months was because it seemed bizarre that they would risk wasting so much time to potentially end up... here.

You can "almost pull off the impossible" through sheer obstinacy and desperation.

If you're referring to predictions about the Senate not passing a bill in general, the only way McConnell got this close was by promising people that this bill would not become law. He still has never come close to getting an actual bill that people actually want to pass into law.

Incidentally, boy has Dean Heller left himself exposed. And inexplicably, too, since he's actually up for re-election next year.

Agree on the political capital lost. Im suprised once they knew mccain was going no more republicans didnt go no to save themselves.

Not to mention he successfully stole a supreme court seat.

this one is still idiotic. I am dead certain if theyre faced with the opposite parallel situation in 2020 the mental gymnastics to allow trump the nomination will be in full flourish worthy of an olympic gold record.

woolley

So couple days ago. GAF shitting on McCain like Trump thanking McCain for coming back.

🤣
Irony?
You can recognize someone for doing something good while still thinking they're a piece of shit. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Great news to wake up to. But what's next?

So this is dead for now but it should light a fire on the left to 1) prevent loss of seats in 2018 and 2) try and pick up any they can.

Problem is, as seen in this thread, the left tends to be a mess with people being appreciative of the fact that 3 Republicans crossed party lines to vote this down and others insulted by the folks who are appreciative.

I just hope we don't repeat last year where if the idealized candidate is not on the ticket, folks won't vote. Sure "stopping this administration" is never a good enough campaign pillar but with this admin, hopefully folks see the bigger picture and still vote for the Democrat regardless.

cackhyena

🤣
Irony?
I'll never do a 180. He brought us this close to the brink in the first place. This "hero" storyline I'm sure will emerge will make me wanna puke. He did the right thing in the end. He's still a bum in my eyes, overall. Anyways thank fuck this is the news I'm waking up to.

This is true. The fuckery McConnell pulled and how close he came to actually pulling it off was sort of fascinating from a political perspective. But regardless he didn't end up making it work. Like with Magicians, people don't think you are any good if you end up not being able to pull the rabbit out of the hat, regardless of how difficult the trick actually is to do. He set people up to expect it to happen and didn't.

Can someone take a WWE GIF of a wrestler taking a folding chair to someone from behind and shop McCain's head on the guy holding the chair and McConnell's on the guy getting rekt? 😇

MechaX

🤣
Irony?

I mean, this was literally Vader tossing the Emperor into the Death Star shaft at the last minute, I don't blame anyone's prior thoughts on McCain.

🤣
Irony?

If he voted No a couple days ago, we wouldn't have had to go through this shit in the first place.

Him voting Yes brought us within 1 vote of losing the ACA and some shit-tastic Skinny Healthcare repeal with no replacement. So, yes, at the time, he deserved all the criticism.

Today, he's a hero. He did the right thing today. He allowed debate and killed the Skinny Repeal himself.

There is nothing more to be said.

Ishan

🤣
Irony?
not really. You might also find a different subset of gaffers posting. I refrained from shit posting on the mccain thread. And while I'm not a fan of him given his voting record I advocate in this thread credit is due where due.

I mean yes there are fewer republicans or conservatives who post on gaf but quite a lot of us centerists left ppl still post.

Top Bottom