• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes |OT| of team Ieyasu vs. team Mitsunari

I haven't tried this personally yet, but it should work very, very well. I call it the Rear Line Hax strategy :lol .

Rear Line = Always near death & +1 XP Multiplier boost.
Gold Mantis = +400 atk & def when near death.

6 slot weapon w/ RL + 5 GM = +2000 atk & def and constantly refilling BASARA (if it is red health like I'm envisioning) = You RAPE THINGS :D .

IF the BASARA gauge does constantly refill like I think it would, then you can also use this setup to get the trophy where you have to use only use the BASARA attack or the Ultimate BASARA attack to beat a stage in story mode.

Shouta

Valcryst said:
Hm, I haven't played Samurai Warriors 3, but I don't think the "Warriors" games are around the same quality. DW 6 Empires is fun, I got the Platinum trophy because you can make your own generals and do 6 campaigns, but they're basically the same missions. It requires a bit more tactic (if you're going to do it in the Ruler/General mode) but it lacks in terms of action, it's sloooow and clunky compared to Sengoku Basara.

This seems interesting, but I still haven't played it;

http://dynastywarriorsstrikeforce.co.uk/

Warriors games are of the same quality but a different flavor.

They're the same basic game in concept, finish map objectives while fighting tons of baddies but most of the details are a whole lot different. Samurai Warriors seems to be better compared to Dynasty Warriors. SW2 was an amazingly awesome game when it was released.

Also Strike Force is Dynasty Warriors Monster Hunter.

AdawgDaFAB, I just wanted to thank you again for all the time and effort you put into making your guides as well as simply promoting this game wherever you can, especially since I'm now getting double the benefits from your spreadsheets since I now have the US version of the game and am going through a second time. Cheers!

Valcryst

Neo Member
Just finished Tsuruhime's Red Route, after a bit of initial disapponitment she turned out to be amazing!
Try to combine her L1+Triangle (fully charged) with her first R2 Virgil-like special...best move of the game, you literally see soldiers flying everywhere screaming! :D
Is also uber-useful against generals, since it pushes them far far away, has a "startup" kick/uppercut and an intimidating effect on standard soldiers too!

Now playing on hard with Oichi, to complete her Blue route, after trying Kanbe...man, he's SLOW...

Shouta said:
Also Strike Force is Dynasty Warriors Monster Hunter.

Flying DW Characters in hyper mode vs. huge beasts? Sold! :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, epic as fuck story time.

So I decided today, I would work towards unlocking Nobunaga. Finished Oichi's story (blue path), then started again and got to Honno-ji. I'd read about Nobunaga's "Mortal Coil" machines that would give him energy to resurrect himself, and I knew that it could be hard to get around the battlefield in time enough to prevent him from gaining too much energy. Unfortunately, I only managed to stop about two of the Mortal Coils before the fight. Still, I figured that I might as well try, so I proceeded to confront Nobunaga.

The first battle was fairly easy. Surprisingly so, even. Two or three resurrections later, however, Oichi just couldn't go any further and Nobunaga was victorious.

...or was he?

In what was probably the best decision ever, before the battle I chose Nanbu as my bodyguard. His ability allows you to revive once after a KO. Just like that, I was back in the fight. However, much to my dismay, I had exactly zero life. Panicked, I ran away from Nobunaga until my Basara bar filled up and then hit him with a Basara attack. I continued to use that time-tested Musou game tactic, with Nanbu being the most bro bodyguard ever and holding off Nobunaga while I charged, for two more resurrections until finally Nobunaga fell. Hands shaking, I shouted as loud as I could without waking up my roommates, "YES!". I had beaten Nobunaga, first time out.

Most intense. Battle. Ever.

Also, Nanbu is now my eternal bro for life. :D

Defunkled

Seraphis Cain said:

So I decided today, I would work towards unlocking Nobunaga. Finished Oichi's story (blue path), then started again and got to Honno-ji. I'd read about Nobunaga's "Mortal Coil" machines that would give him energy to resurrect himself, and I knew that it could be hard to get around the battlefield in time enough to prevent him from gaining too much energy. Unfortunately, I only managed to stop about two of the Mortal Coils before the fight. Still, I figured that I might as well try, so I proceeded to confront Nobunaga.

The first battle was fairly easy. Surprisingly so, even. Two or three resurrections later, however, Oichi just couldn't go any further and Nobunaga was victorious.

...or was he?

In what was probably the best decision ever, before the battle I chose Nanbu as my bodyguard. His ability allows you to revive once after a KO. Just like that, I was back in the fight. However, much to my dismay, I had exactly zero life. Panicked, I ran away from Nobunaga until my Basara bar filled up and then hit him with a Basara attack. I continued to use that time-tested Musou game tactic, with Nanbu being the most bro bodyguard ever and holding off Nobunaga while I charged, for two more resurrections until finally Nobunaga fell. Hands shaking, I shouted as loud as I could without waking up my roommates, "YES!". I had beaten Nobunaga, first time out.

:lol

Seraphis Cain said:

[...]

Ya told me about it already, but that is still just an awesome story and one of the reasons I love games in general to be able to give people these kinds of memories. However ... just one lifetime? Dood could use his resurrection no jutsu and bring ya back afterwards! :lol

Edit:
Tqi3b.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol That just legit made me bust out laughing when I saw you changed to that. Well played sir, well played indeed!

Urban Scholar said:
Thank you for taking the time to make them Seraphis Cain. Seeing this makes me hope for a future artbook release for the game.

That comes out next month ^__^. Finally get to see Tsuchi's artwork for the game :D !

AdawgDaFAB said:
That comes out next month ^__^. Finally get to see Tsuchi's artwork for the game :D !

....excuse me sir

5f0bec30c99547e7762912ead7f83632.gif

Well I do believe Friday is payday, so thank you.

edit:

Erigu said:
It's already out, actually. Released three weeks ago.
(the script comes out next month)

Even better & my dancing chick remains relevant.

Valcryst

Neo Member
I want that artbook soooo badly :|

Seraphis Cain said:

[cut]

:lol
I had almost the same experience, with Nobunaga kicking my ass in his "devil trigger" mode and Matsu healing me with Rice Balls of Salvation!

robotzombie said:
Kanbei is much faster once you learn how to roll cancel. You can even roll before your s-string to remove the start up

Thanks, I'll give it a try as soon as I finish Oichi's Emaki for the third time!

DTJAAAAM

Finally unlocked every playable character and I'm halfway through the Trophy list. Motonari and Tadakatsu are my last two initial Emaki playthroughs before I start the replay and grinding process.

Valcryst

Neo Member
Is it normal that Oichi's Green Route (with Purple Ending at Honno-ji) won't show up in the next Emaki once completed?
Now I only have Red/Blue paths (2 battles for each route) and after 6 battles no Green at all :\

Ashkeloth

Seraphis Cain said:
Hey Basara-GAF. I know these aren't very great, but hey, I was bored. So if anyone wants to use one, be my guest. :D

Taking the Fuma one. Thanks for taking the time to make these.

Hmmm, I still really like this game but I have to admit that I think they too slavishly stick to the musou formula for some things that undermine their more action orientated aproach. In general the defensive game feels needlessly clunky, with evading lacking a snappiness that I think would benefit it.

However my biggest would have to be the camera. I know Japanese people supposedly get motion sickness and all that but could they at least have the to increase the rotation speed. Then there's how close it's pulled in to the PC, this is generally my biggest gripe with third person cameras this generation. It's only now I'm playing on hard that I've really noticed how many cheap off-camera hits you soak up.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Hmmm, I still really like this game but I have to admit that I think they too slavishly stick to the musou formula for some things that undermine their more action orientated aproach. In general the defensive game feels needlessly clunky, with evading lacking a snappiness that I think would benefit it.

However my biggest would have to be the camera. I know Japanese people supposedly get motion sickness and all that but could they at least have the to increase the rotation speed. Then there's how close it's pulled in to the PC, this is generally my biggest gripe with third person cameras this generation. It's only now I'm playing on hard that I've really noticed how many cheap off-camera hits you soak up.

Hitting block directs the camera instantly behind you, there should be no problem whatsoever.

As for evading issues, well, there really isn't all that much need for evading in a defensive manner. Evading is much more useful for positioning and Kanbe's lag cancelling, aside from that, you should be blocking and parrying rather than evading

For evading one thing you could do is change the setting in the option that makes you evade if you press the guard button while moving (instead of halting to a stop and blocking). I do that for all the BASARA games and it makes the evades much smoother for me since I just press the direction I wanna go and tab block. Never felt clunky at all that way.

segarr

AdawgDaFAB said:
For evading one thing you could do is change the setting in the option that makes you evade if you press the guard button while moving (instead of halting to a stop and blocking). I do that for all the BASARA games and it makes the evades much smoother for me since I just press the direction I wanna go and tab block. Never felt clunky at all that way.
That's what I do. Combat just seems to flow better this way.

Gamefly sent me this today. Playing as the boxer first...

Is there a recommended play order btw? I can never decide which character to play as in these games.

There is no real recommended order. I just tend to recommend people to do Kanbei quickly to get Sekigahara Intrusion, and to do Yukimura (to get Kotaro) and Kotaro to get Hanzo as a bodyguard. I recommend looking at who unlocks who and play with them to get the people you most wanna play with.

What I found myself doing usually (I've played the game as SB3 Wii, SB3 PS3, and SBSH PS3) is Kanbei (unlocks Intrusion), Yukimura (unlocks Kotaro), Kotaro x2 (unlocks Hanzo & Oichi), Masamune (unlocks Keiji), Keiji (unlocks Oichi), Oichi x2 (Unlocks Honnoji). Basically I get Intrusion asap for combo fun / to build Gold Lions quickly and Hanzo asap for fugitive hunting goodness. After that I unlock Honnoji so I can get Nobunaga and then just play whoever I am in the mood to use until I get 100% of their stories.

Valcryst

Neo Member
My order was Ieyasu, Mitsunari, Yukimura, Date, Kotarou x2 and so on...and now 5 more full characters to begin with (Mouri, Kanbei, Yoshihiro, Tadakatsu and Yoshitsugu).
I still don't have Sekigahara Intrusion, but at least I got Hanzo :D

Oh, about fugitives; do they respawn with different characters in the same stage, or it's just one per stage and once you kill him he won't appear anymore?

They don't appear every single stage to begin with, however there is ALWAYS a chance of them appearing. The only thing that changes after you kill one for a stage is that they don't drop a stat up for THAT character who killed them. You can still kill them over and over with the same character for EXP (10,050 normally / 20,100 in slow mo) if you so choose.

Ashkeloth

Well... I'm finally done with this game. All of my characters are at 100%. In the end I decided to say "screw the trophies" as they don't really give me anything and would require a lot more time investment.

Total play time is 125 Hours, 15 minutes, 30 seconds.. I haven't got all allies or accessories, and I'm missing the joke weapon for most of the characters. Also, most of my characters are around level 50-80.

I feel like I've earned the right to dump my overall thoughts and feelings on the game. Feel free to ignore the rest of this post, but I figure it might fire up some discussion.

---
Story
It's a Hack n' Slash game. I wasn't really expecting much of a story, and I was right. That said, there were a few pieces of funny writing that really caught me off guard, and some of the characters stories were actually quite touching in places such as
pretty much the entirety of Oichi's, and Keiji being unable to come to terms with the fact his best friend was dead, and fooling himself into thinking he was in love to try to do so

Sound
I will say, that as one of the original naysayers when it was announced that this game wouldn't have Japanese voice acting included, I was completely and utterly floored by how could the English voice acting was in this game. There was not a single character whose voice did not match their character, and most of the lines were delivered really well. I think overall, Mitsunari had the best voice actor, despite some few lol-worthy lines that were overacted, he really did sound very emotional most of the time. It's just a shame that Capcom didn't bother to fix the lip-sync for the English voices, and it came of really poorly.

Aside from voice acting, the music was fitting at worst, and actually really good at best. For some reason, I really like Saica's theme.

Graphics
This is where this game falls pretty flat. Sure, the main character models and effects look great, but the misc soldiers and sidekicks look pretty terrible, and there were a few too many muddy textures in places, but still, Capcom managed to give a smooth 60FPS with pretty much no drops, and even in split-screen, the frame rate is relatively stable.

Gameplay
Ieyasu Tokugawa - Simplistic enough character that just works well with his ability to charge up all moves by holding a button. He becomes a bit overpowered when he gets Tokugawa Might Lv 3 and a few attack up accessories, though.

Mitsunari Ishida - Vergil from DMC3, but now with the ability to cancel moves into other moves. Reverance changes him into a completely different character, and having all four of his personal items equipped made me feel like a god. A suprisingly deep character overall, but he loses points for his hairstyle. I know this game goes over the top on all designs, but damn it. When I initially saw him, I thought it was a point of a helmet.

Masamune Date - Pretty boring character until you get the six claws skill, and even then, he's just a vanilla type of guy. Plays very similar to Dante from DMC in a strange way, which is fitting considering his english VA.

Yukimura Sanada - On the other side of the Vanilla fence, we have Yukimura. He just hits guys hard and fast and they die, and that's pretty much all there is to it outside of his ability to cancel moves out with a quick slash of a spear.

Magoichi Saica - Actually a really cool character regardless of gender switching design. Her ability to change through several guns, and the wildly different uses of all 3 of her SA's, and also cutting the reload time from charged shots by jumping or rolling make her a really deep and fun character to play. Too bad she's a character that brought (anachronistic) guns to a sword fight and is overpowered as hell because of it.

Kanbe Kuroda - I hated this guy's story. Did they really make me play 3 routes with him, 2 of which ended with the same joke? Gameplay-wise though, he's pretty fun due to his ability to hit anything within a 20 foot radius of you and also drag more enemies in, but he's also terribly slow. The rolling ball move helps a little, but then you lose a lot of his damage potential. Props at least for one of his SA's being Zangief's Final Atomic Buster.

Yoshitsugu Otani - Oddly fun to play, with his ability to lock on enemies for extra attacks and damage, and his wide sweeping area attacks. It's just a shame he is so terrible at fighting bosses.

Tsuruhime - Most grating character ever, which makes it even sadder that she's actually quite fun to play, her ability to extend her combos if you time your button pushes to when she fires an arrow is quite awesome, and she is a Drillaton and Head of Xavi destroyer with her spread shot. Also becomes even more fun to play when you get her Infinite Arrows SA and are able to shoot 5 arrows at once.

Keiji Maeda - Loved the character, hated his gameplay. All of his SAs are useless because they all just recover something or support him, and his rhythm based direction+Triangle attacks usually just ended up with me wailing on a wall because it's hard to direct where they go. I ended up completing all of his routes by mashing square, then canceling into direction+triangle, then going back to square for endless combos rather than trying to play him properly.

Motochika Chosokabe - This guy was initially a big dissapointment for me, with his terrible triangle attack, mediocre other abilities, and slow run speed. Then I leveled him up. His triangle attack became awesome. I realized all of his move comboed into his other moves, and then I got Surf's up, which not only fixed my run speed issue, but was also one of the coolest SA's in the game.

Yoshihiro Shimazu - Fuck this character. Bunny hopping everywhere was annoying as hell, and creating a character that uses a one-on-one kendo style of attacks in a Crowd Action game is like putting area attacks in Shadow of the Colossus. Giving him 4 routes of top of that was like capcom putting my balls in a vice. Only redeeming factor was that he made it easy to get no damage materials on some levels.

Kotaro Fuma - This. Character. Is. Awesome. The ability to fly around, coupled with his aerial based combos and all of his insanely badass attacks just make him awesome to play. The Shuriken skill destroys groups of enemies, and his Izuna absolutely wrecks bosses. Also having no voice gets rid of the lip-sync problem.

Motonari Mori - A character that has fell into the wrong game. Tactics, in my Sengoku Basara? Decoy is useless even with the explosion effect. Barrier is useless, all of his SA's are useless. At least he's decently powerful on his Square and Triangle attacks, so I didn't really have to care.

Tadakatsu Honda - I thought he would be slow and clunky, but after unlocking him, I discovered that was not the case. A dash speed similar to Yukimura, coupled with a ton of health, and even more damage make him almost as overpowered as Nobunaga in my opinion. Also, flight mode is awesome.

Oichi - Really took me by surprise with how fun she was. Just arms everywhere killing everybody. Her run speed could've been a little faster, but it didn't kill the character for me.

Nobunaga - Not much to say here. He's a god character a fun to play if you enjoy destroying everything. Too bad seeing him makes me miss Norio Wakamoto's voice.

Misc.
  • The Last Stand is an awful idea that I never want to see again. A several minute long (with no way to speed it up) random mission. Really? After discovering you could skip it by reloading your file, I never saw it again
  • Tree Guy, Academy of Gentlemen Guy, Sand Guy, and Kung-Fu Ice Guy were all stupid filler material. I wish they'd been cut and characters only had 5 or so stages per route
  • When Allying with someone, why does this game make my character run through their area, killing all their men and beating the hell out of them? It just seems stupid
  • If another game comes over here, I want JP voice acting before I will buy it. I'm impressed by the quality of the English VA's, but this is a game about Samurai's set in ancient Japan. It seems stupid to not have a Japanese option

Time to check out Vanquish and Fallout: New Vegas finally :lol

segarr

Thanks for the detailed run-down on your experience with the game. I'll have to go back to it later after playing more to compare my opinions to your own.

I had no idea this game was so deep. Maybe I should just buy it from Gamefly. I really want to play that FOTNS game and I already got Fifa 11 rented out...

Erigu

Ashkeloth said:
Mitsunari Ishida - [...] he loses points for his hairstyle. I know this game goes over the top on all designs, but damn it. When I initially saw him, I thought it was a point of a helmet.
It was designed to look like a helmet, so...

Motonari Mori - A character that has fell into the wrong game. Tactics, in my Sengoku Basara? Decoy is useless even with the explosion effect. Barrier is useless, all of his SA's are useless.
Those skills are far from useless, actually... For example: (*) (*) (*)

[*]The Last Stand is an awful idea that I never want to see again. A several minute long (with no way to speed it up) random mission.
You can speed the thing up by taking all bases early on... but yeah, with slow characters, it's easier said than done.

[*]Tree Guy, Academy of Gentlemen Guy, Sand Guy, and Kung-Fu Ice Guy were all stupid filler material. I wish they'd been cut and characters only had 5 or so stages per route
Same here.
... Wait, you included Mogami?

[*]When Allying with someone, why does this game make my character run through their area, killing all their men and beating the hell out of them? It just seems stupid
It's silly, and that's how I like my Sengoku Basara games, personally.
I mean, whats the alternative? Serious battles all the time?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just picked up the game today. I was a HUGE fan of Basara 2, so this was a definite buy for me, but I wanted until I paid for some car expenses before doing so.

I've only gone through Date's story once, and I'm working on Keiji's. Played co-op for Date, but now I'm doing single player for Keiji. It's damn awesome how great the framerate in the game is. It's fucking solid.

I'm already seeing a lot of huge improvements over Basara 2, and I love that. Looking forward to playing more.

About 80 hours playtime and I'm beginning to burn out. I've managed to keep some semblance of challenge alive by ignoring all fugitives (except the Luck boosting ones), ignoring obviously broken arts and equipping 6-slot 100 power reforged weapons with the 1.5x damage dealt/3x damage received accessory and no stat boosters. Damage output is reasonable and taking hits kills me pretty quickly. It stops stages from getting boring, and since I mainly use Oichi and Tsuruhime I can't just MASHMASHMASH my way to certain victory.

In terms of character use/preference:

S: Oichi
A: Tsuruhime, Yoshitsugu, Magoichi
B: Kotaro, Motochika, Ieyasu,
C: Date, Nobunaga, Motonari, Mitsunari
D: Yukimura, Kanbe, Tadakatsu, Keiji
Zzz: Shimazu

segarr

So you're intentionally capping yourself because you've become too powerful? It likes the animes

"I wear this armor not to protect myself, but to protect other people from me!" -Bui YYH

Sorry, I just love that stuff

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I probably won't bother gimping myself later in the game. I enjoy being a ridiculously powerful bringer of death.

Pimpbaa

75y48.jpg

I wish she was playable. Anyway, I want to stab Mitsunari in the eye. Stupid whiney emo bitch. Same goes for Yukimura Sanada. Hope this game is selling more so we get another game or DLC (so I can play as that chick above).

thetrin

Pimpbaa said:
75y48.jpg

I wish she was playable. Anyway, I want to stab Mitsunari in the eye. Stupid whiney emo bitch. Same goes for Yukimura Sanada. Hope this game is selling more so we get another game or DLC (so I can play as that chick above).

Sanada is the perfect Ken to Date's Ryu, and he was a great petulant youngster to Shingen's strong silent ruler archetype.

Mitsunari can go jump in a well, though.

AdawgDaFAB said:

Oh I'll give this a try.

I thought I was starting to burn out a bit, but I've got a 2nd wind on the game. I went on an accessories creating spree, got some of the crazy trophies for completing a battle with 'X' equipped and jumping between playing Tsuruhime's story mode on hard, doing easy quick battles for fugitives (mostly with Tsur again but dipping into other characters - I'm like the guy above, I like getting to be overpowered) and finishing up normal playthroughs for the other characters to try unlock everyone.

Pimpbaa

thetrin said:
Sanada is the perfect Ken to Date's Ryu, and he was a great petulant youngster to Shingen's strong silent ruler archetype.

Mitsunari can go jump in a well, though.

Ken wasn't a whiny bitch.

Lostconfused said:
Villains with burning spirit are the best villains, you people clearly have no taste.

Burning spirit = whiny emo bitch? I felt like smacking him around and telling him to be a man. Lousy villain.

segarr

segarr said:
So you're intentionally capping yourself because you've become too powerful? It likes the animes

"I wear this armor not to protect myself, but to protect other people from me!" -Bui YYH

Sorry, I just love that stuff
To take this further, I want a character with a Basara that is to remove the weights, bandages, armor, or whatever it is that caps their power in homage to DBZ, YYH, Naruto etc....

segarr

Still early in the game but, these stragglers that inevitable are left at the end of a squad's destruction are annoying! Do I get an ally or some ability that takes care of them without me having to stop and deal with it?

Edit: Just deleted my save. I'm starting over on Hard. I could already tell I was too good. The fact that I was playing on a level that looked like Demon's Souls but with no difficulty just felt wrong.

Mandoric

Banned
segarr said:
Still early in the game but, these stragglers that inevitable are left at the end of a squad's destruction are annoying! Do I get an ally or some ability that takes care of them without me having to stop and deal with it?

Edit: Just deleted my save. I'm starting over on Hard. I could already tell I was too good. The fact that I was playing on a level that looked like Demon's Souls but with no difficulty just felt wrong.

They disperse naturally.

I'm not sure why you'd delete your save and start over rather than just restarting the campaign; you're probably going to be replaying through on a variety of difficulty levels anyway. Some basic items are even near-impossible to get -unless- you're on easy, IIRC.

thetrin

Pimpbaa said:
Ken wasn't a whiny bitch.

I haven't played enough of Basara 3 to be honest, but Sanada was never a whiny bitch in Basara 2 or the Basara anime. Is he like, a completely different character now?

Vhalyar

thetrin said:
I haven't played enough of Basara 3 to be honest, but Sanada was never a whiny bitch in Basara 2 or the Basara anime. Is he like, a completely different character now?
He pretty much is in the second season of the anime.

In the game though, it's not so much "whiny bitch" as "totally confused". His lord/mentor/best bud is teribly sick and he's forced into a position of absolute leadership when he himself has no goals or aspirations other than serving his lord. He has no idea why he's fighting and because of that his army is suffering loss after loss which further compounds his depression. The point of his story is figuring out his own goals to aim for as a leader.

Holy mackerel Honno-ji is such a fantastic level. I just fought
Nobunaga (redundant spoiler tag, but meh)
on Hard with a gimped Tsuruhime and the battle took about 20 minutes. Must've pumped hundreds of arrows into him across all his resurrections (he Mortal Coil'ed 4 times during the stage) while he could kill me in 3-4 hits. Nerves kept screwing with my flash timings near the end. Finished him off with a L1+T while he was stunned, which felt absurdly satisfying.

segarr said:
To take this further, I want a character with a Basara that is to remove the weights, bandages, armor, or whatever it is that caps their power in homage to DBZ, YYH, Naruto etc....
Free Kanbei's hands and he'll be Tadakatsu-tier!

thetrin

Vhalyar said:
In the game though, it's not so much "whiny bitch" as "totally confused". His lord/mentor/best bud is teribly sick and he's forced into a position of absolute leadership when he himself has no goals or aspirations other than serving his lord. He has no idea why he's fighting and because of that his army is suffering loss after loss which further compounds his depression. The point of his story is figuring out his own goals to aim for as a leader.

That sounds like a perfectly acceptable character to me.

Top Bottom