• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes |OT| of team Ieyasu vs. team Mitsunari

TreIII

Xater said:
Well kinda. It's probably a combination of pretty much no marketing and way too high expectations. They pretty much had to introduce the series here first and did nothing for that. They also should have taken a good look at how KOEI does business. They seem to stay profitable with their games.

Indeed.

I mean, on one hand, Capcom could have tried a "by the book (of Musou)" way of marketing. Doing as such would've likely turned some more heads from the Musou fanbase (not unlike those impressionable sorts on here who started importing SB2 years ago! :lol), and would have least guaranteed that Capcom was vying for the same market that Koei was. It basically worked in Japan, so it makes you wonder why Capcom didn't do similar when it came to localizing BASARA this time around (especially in light of Devil Kings).

So, I don't know what Capcom was on, but it's a shame that possibly one of their best, non-Clover IPs introduced last generation basically got two chances to try and make headway in the West, but Capcom's silly marketing decisions black-flagged both of those attempts.

I'm often at dumb founded as to how publishers release a title with zero PR is ok. Then they blame lack of sales on everything else except for the obvious.

Xater

Urban Scholar said:
Yes I recall this but Basara had like how many playable characters that were all notable VAs? Lots of folks right there and the sales didn't hi projections...unfortunately. Oh well more importing and I'll hold on to my SB SH copy as the first and last.

Well then don't use these guys. They probably could have gone with much cheaper guys and achieved about the same quality. Even better just stick to the japanese and make sure at least the text translations are of quality.

Xater said:
Well then don't use these guys. They probably could have gone with much cheaper guys and achieved about the same quality. Even better just stick to the japanese and make sure at least the text translations are of quality.

We know that will never happen.

I know there are many who didn't buy the game due to lack of the original voices they have associated with the characters since 2005. However, I wonder how many who DID buy it would not have done so if Capcom had simply subtitled it instead of dubbed it. They would have saved a the majority of their localization budget that way, but would it have eaten away at sales too much?

Erigu

Well, the game talks a lot more than, say, a fighting game, and I believe a lot of English-speaking gamers still aren't too fond of subs, to put it lightly... So I don't know that it would have been very safe. Then again, it's not like the series could really reach a very wide audience anyway, in my opinion, and those potentially interested maybe wouldn't have much of a problem with that overall?
Obviously, both tracks would have been ideal, but I guess it's possible there really wasn't enough room in the Wii version, and they couldn't make that a PlayStation 3-exclusive feature...

If this game was subbed would I have liked that? Honestly speaking no. Would I have still played it sure. Ayway I need to see this article when I get out of work.

Obviously the best thing to do would have been to have the game be dual audio, but there are two problems with that.
1: The Wii game is about ~4 GB so they would have needed to use be a dual layer disc to both audio tracks (which would have increased the cost of printing per disc).
2. There is no subtitles option for cutscenes, meaning the majority of international players using Japanese voices wouldn't know what is being said during those scenes.

While #2 is easily fixed by adding a subtitle option, I didn't see Capcom's localization department doing THAT much just to add the feature. I hope IF Utage gets an international release again, that they will be smarter this time and include subtitles from the start.

---
Edit:

New Logo:
zZAYP6wf22z18c9MStIKY5LVt2J76GpK.jpg

New Site
http://www.capcom.co.jp/basara3utage/

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does the site mention any specifics? Online 2 player debunked?

Pic from game watch:
b302.jpg

I dunno.

Alexios

How about just answering "yes" then? People thought it might have it because it was translated the expansion "adds" co-op when the original alrady had it. If the new info we have, or a new translation of the same info we have, isn't worded in a way that makes this a possibility, then the speculation has been debunked until further notice.

Erigu

Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound snappy or anything. I'm just a bit weirded out that there are (once again) theories about online when Capcom (once again) never uttered the word "online"...

Alexios

Heh, I was angry at Capcom for having online on the PS3 version and not the Wii version even after I had (and was enjoying) the game, especially since SW3 had it. I found out they actually didn't have that anywhere waaaay later, lol. No clue how that got past me, I'm usually pretty in the know even about titles I'm not that interested in.

The only reason to think this might get online co-op at the moment would be if it comes out in the west again. Kobayashi has said in English interviews that they were apparently surprised at the large demand for online co-op and would look into adding it in a future title. There is nothing wrong with hoping for it, but right now it is nothing but that, a hope.

AdawgDaFAB said:
The only reason to think this might get online co-op at the moment would be if it comes out in the west again. Kobayashi has said in English interviews that they were apparently surprised at the large demand for online co-op and would look into adding it in a future title. There is nothing wrong with hoping for it, but right now it is nothing but that, a hope.

Oh so there's no co-op online but rather it was new co-op features and that was mistaken as otherwise.

Tizoc

AdawgDaFAB said:
I know there are many who didn't buy the game due to lack of the original voices they have associated with the characters since 2005. However, I wonder how many who DID buy it would not have done so if Capcom had simply subtitled it instead of dubbed it. They would have saved a the majority of their localization budget that way, but would it have eaten away at sales too much?
I like your sig in the KOEI forums. Those that didn't get this game must really hate Hanbe...the bastards.
I personally would've gotten this game subbed or dubbed, want to support the series no matter what. Besides I'm getting for the gameplay not the voice acting (tho I would've liked DATENGRISH ;P)
Still I got used to the Eng VAs eventually, I mean I spent 281 hours on this game, XD.

No online co-op would suck IMO, I mean come on, KOEI games HAVE ONLINE MODES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! WHY WOULD YOU BE SURPRISED THAT PEOPLE WANT ONLINE CO-OP?!

Tizoc said:
I like your sig in the KOEI forums. Those that didn't get this game must really hate Hanbe...the bastards.
I personally would've gotten this game subbed or dubbed, want to support the series no matter what. Besides I'm getting for the gameplay not the voice acting (tho I would've liked DATENGRISH ;P)
Still I got used to the Eng VAs eventually, I mean I spent 281 hours on this game, XD.

No online co-op would suck IMO, I mean come on, KOEI games HAVE ONLINE MODES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! WHY WOULD YOU BE SURPRISED THAT PEOPLE WANT ONLINE CO-OP?!

Wouldn't besurprised if this had no online cause it's not coming to the U.S. and not a lot of JP people even play online.

In case anyone hasn't seen them before, with the Wii version of the game and Ocarina codes (basically an Action Replay homebrew program) you can play as all of the full NPCs, except for Sorin. They were incomplete, having 2-3 skills only, but give a good taste for what is likely to come w/ Utage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GndejUExA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye9WZqZvLgc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwWeJLF2QAU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0HiQ8nvh_I

One thing I hope they change in Utage is to make Kenshin's Shinsoku more like it was before. In 3 it was basically like Magnum Step.

TreIII

Yeah, Hisahide!

I like how it looks like you really won't be able to run with him. Nope! He just has pimp walk and that nice side-step/dash of his. Could be very interesting. And the way he had both Mitsunari and Ieyasu at his mercy showcases just how awesome he is! 8D

ezekial45

Banned
I'm assuming it didn't sell to well in the U.S. It's kinda sad that we probably won't see anything from this series any time soon here.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ezekial45 said:
I'm assuming it didn't sell to well in the U.S. It's kinda sad that we probably won't see anything from this series any time soon here.
I bet it sold well. As well as a game like Basara's going to sell in the US. Capcom just thinks that all their franchises should sell like Street Fighter or Resident Evil.

The sad part is, it's another case where a company like Atlus would GLADLY bring it over here.

Takuan

Will this game be region free? Better yet, what are the chances for a Vita port? This type of game seems right up its alley.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Takuan said:
Will this game be region free? Better yet, what are the chances for a Vita port? This type of game seems right up its alley.
Pretty likely. They've already made 2 Basara games(or is it 3?) on the PSP in Japan. As long as the Vita stays region free, I imagine we'll eventually get a Basara for Vita. Might not be until 4 though.

Erigu

zoner said:
They've already made 2 Basara games(or is it 3?) on the PSP in Japan.
Just two (the second one was released very recently, in fact).

(and yeah, I'd be really surprised if the series didn't show up on Vita)

That trailer is fire. I like the new attacks the previous NPCs showed in it, Hisahide looked like he was beasting things up, Sorin cracked me up and the new game modes have me intrigued.

At one point near the end of the trailer I saw a "tag" made between Ieyasu and Mitsunari, like you could do in the Arena mode of 2 Heroes. In the video however, the tag was done in Yukimura's stage, so perhaps it is a new mode? I need to look for if new info has come out recently.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a Vita port of SB. The 2 SB games on PSP are pretty mediocre Gundam vs Gundam clones instead of full fledged, portable SB games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
AdawgDaFAB said:
That trailer is fire. I like the new attacks the previous NPCs showed in it, Hisahide looked like he was beasting things up, Sorin cracked me up and the new game modes have me intrigued.

At one point near the end of the trailer I saw a "tag" made between Ieyasu and Mitsunari, like you could do in the Arena mode of 2 Heroes. In the video however, the tag was done in Yukimura's stage, so perhaps it is a new mode? I need to look for if new info has come out recently.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a Vita port of SB. The 2 SB games on PSP are pretty mediocre Gundam vs Gundam clones instead of full fledged, portable SB games.
Yeah, but the Vita technology is supposedly very similar to the PS3 tech. Since they're porting SB over from the Wii to PS3, I'd be willing to be they would just port it to the Vita in the same way. It would probably be easier than changing the game.

Another interesting tidbit about the trailer: ShadowThanatos on KoeiWarriors message board pointed out that Masamune used Phantom Dive in it. I wonder how extensive the upgrades will be for the existing 16.

Also, after rewatching the vid a few times I think Sasuke may have a completely new moveset instead of them simply taking his SB3 NPC moveset and tweaking it. This is just conjecture on my part, but I could see them giving him a thing like Nobunaga's demon mode where his bunshins do follow up attacks if you hold down a button.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/basara3utage/character.html
The website has been updated with more info. The biggest thing is that it says there will be 30 characters! It shows the 16 from SB3, the 8 additions they have been hyping and 6 ? spaces.

Looking at the SB3 NPCs I would imagine those 6 characters are: Kenshin, Kasuga, Toshiie, Matsu, Hojo and one other one. Who that could be, IDK. If I had to pick, I'd think it could be one of these three:
Takeda Shingen - He has a model already at least.
Toyotomi Hideyoshi - Would make sense, and we could get an epic Ieyasu vs Hideyoshi stage out of it. However, Juggertomi Raohyoshi seems incomplete without Hanbei by his side.
Tachibana Ginchiyo - This is a wild card pic, but she was hyped up through Muneshige's inner dialogue in SB3, so if they add one new person this time around, I could see her being the one.

Erigu

AdawgDaFAB said:
Tachibana Ginchiyo - This is a wild card pic, but she was hyped up through Muneshige's inner dialogue in SB3, so if they add one new person this time around, I could see her being the one.
I like her as some kind of invisible Mrs. Columbo, personally. It's the mystery that's funny ("how could she possibly be more of a badass than Tachibana??"), and showing her would only ruin the joke, in my opinion.

Some of these are a bit old, but I'm just getting caught up on info for this game and haven't seen them mentioned here yet.

Translations for some of the website's recent updates:

Matsunaga Hisahide's Skills
Sarutobi Sasuke's Skills
Katakura Kojūrō's Skills
Tachibana Muneshige's Profile

Here is some more translated info on the game.
Brief summary:
- Utage can sync save data between SB3 and SB3U, seemingly the same way as the Wii SB2/H Double Pack did.
- Background for the first stages of the stories for Utage's 3 posterboys: Hisahide, Kojūrō and Sasuke.

Lastly, here is a cool picture from a recent event:
2fd0297cdaee9193b7cac9a3b2eef182.jpg

TreIII

AdawgDaFAB said:
Another interesting tidbit about the trailer: ShadowThanatos on KoeiWarriors message board pointed out that Masamune used Phantom Dive in it. I wonder how extensive the upgrades will be for the existing 16.

Also, after rewatching the vid a few times I think Sasuke may have a completely new moveset instead of them simply taking his SB3 NPC moveset and tweaking it. This is just conjecture on my part, but I could see them giving him a thing like Nobunaga's demon mode where his bunshins do follow up attacks if you hold down a button.

Well, we already know that they said they were going to:

a) give the original SB3 cast more moves and
b) make the NPC dudes from the "ground-up".

So even those who used the "Ocarina hook-up" will have something to look forward to when these guys finally become full-fledged playables.

I'm so glad Sasuke is getting re-worked. His moveset was never that much fun in the PS2 generation of BASARA games, and you were often just better spamming his incredibly good counter for best results. Now he actually looks like a fun character to play as.

There was new info in Famitsu this week (and will be again in 2 weeks).

Translation:
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/single/?p=8984004&t=6799057

Snippets:
- Info is given on Kingo, Tenkai, Mogami, Muneshige and Sorin's first stages.
- You can choose between SB2 style Drive or SB3 style Slowmo.
- Conquest is confirmed as returning, next issue will have full details.

Also, it sounds like Keiji's Kyoto Festival stage will be returning as Sorin's first stage in his story mode.

---

http://www.capcom.co.jp/basara3utage/character.html

The site has been updated this week with videos showing Matsunaga Hisahide, Katakura Kojuuro and Sarutobi Sasuke's BASARA attacks in their profiles.

i just got the platinum in heroes last night after many many many awful hours of grinding kanbe's joke weapon.

so if this does end up coming over, they announced a save transfer system? the new features look pretty cool

i GUESS i could do another platinum....

quinntendopower said:
i just got the platinum in heroes last night after many many many awful hours of grinding kanbe's joke weapon.

so if this does end up coming over, they announced a save transfer system? the new features look pretty cool

i GUESS i could do another platinum....

I know you got a platinum, but man you deserve a medal. I'm applauding you for your efforts. As much as I like this game I just don't see myself committing that kind of time to an game.

it really does define "grinding" doesn't it? i think i had over 100 playthroughs and tons of individual missions for item and weapon drops. 193 hours! i had a big smile on my face when the last weapon said "NEW" and then two big fat trophies popped up!

i was in xbox parties just about all of the time i was playing it, which really helped.

it's funny to think i spent about the same time getting platinums in yakuza 3 and 4 as i did just doing this one.

i must say, i LOVE when games tie in game titles to trophies. looking at the title list in game looks so badass when it's done

Famitsu news:
November 10, 2011
PS3: 5800 yen, Wii: 4990 yen

----

Article on the game:
http://www.hmv.co.jp/news/article/1108190037/

It seems that the 8 featured "new" characters are going to be the only ones with stories. That's really not too bad though, when you consider that Heroes only had 3 stories and 5 Gaidens.

It also seems like the tag feature seen in the trailer will be an alternative option to the bodyguard system that 3 had. I like how they are bringing in SB2 features (Drive / Tag) but putting them as options so you can use those or the SB3 ones (Boost / Bodyguards).

There has been some specualtions too based on Hisahide's Conquest mode picture that playing it with him will be similar to how it was with Musashi in SB2H, having no set starting point and thus being able to attack anyone.

----

More info form Famitsu: This week's article had info on Tenkai and Kingo's gameplay. The names for Kingo's 4 main skills are:
BlackKite from KW said:
もぐもぐ金吾 Mogumogu Kingo (Mumbling Kingo)
ぐるぐる金吾 Guruguru Kingo (Rolling Kingo)
こそこそ金吾 Kosokoso Kingo (Sneaky Kingo)
すやすや金吾 Suyasuya Kingo (Sleeping Kingo)

More detailed Famitsu info:
BlackKite from KW said:
Japanese Games mode
Travel around regions in Japan while fighting through elaborately designed battles
Defeat strong enemies in a limited area
In total there are 31 kinds of game rules
Example of a game rule is getting a certain combo count number
Clearing the stages will give rewards and/or bodyguards

Decisive Battle mode
This is the mode designed for versus
Other than 1-player mode, there is also splitscreen versus mode (hello to the above post )
Some available rules of the mode
真剣勝負 Serious Fight: normal 1-on-1
波瀾万丈戦 Drastic Events Battle: many items, both helpful and harmful, keep pouring down the stage
三十人組み手 30 People Beltwork: Fight against (all unique?) 30 characters consecutively
There are also team battle and tournament modes?

Teaser for next batch (22 Sep?)
Otomo Sorin's skill descriptions
Basara Lottery - buy from the shop and get a chance to exchange with more gifts

Would you recommend this game to someone who can only beat one of the demo levels?

A few days ago I watched season one of the anime on a whim and really enjoyed it. Sure it was mindless action where the characters say silly quotes about honor and strength but it was the type of mindless action where the characters say silly quotes about honor and strength that I love

Anyway I grabbed the demo and have been playing it for the past few days. I think the demo was taken down but luckily I must have downloaded it and deleted it previously so I grabbed it from my downloads list.

I really enjoyed it. My main issue is with the dodging, I hate hate hate how you can't dodge while moving. Other than that, and my life long issue of being unable to parry attacks in videos games, I had some fun.

I beat the guy in yellow's stage but couldn't beat the guy in purple's stage. The amount of running you do from the robot is silly and I can never seem to make enough of a dent moving forward before he catches up and then the enemy retakes the pullies so I'm out of luck with my short cut.

Would you say the yellow guy's stage or the purple guy's stage is more representative of the final game.

Also would it be fine for someone to simply never parry ever. I have no problems blocking, watching the animations, waiting for an opening but I will never be good enough at timing to parry attacks

HamPster PamPster said:
Would you recommend this game to someone who can only beat one of the demo levels?

A few days ago I watched season one of the anime on a whim and really enjoyed it. Sure it was mindless action where the characters say silly quotes about honor and strength but it was the type of mindless action where the characters say silly quotes about honor and strength that I love

Anyway I grabbed the demo and have been playing it for the past few days. I think the demo was taken down but luckily I must have downloaded it and deleted it previously so I grabbed it from my downloads list.

I really enjoyed it. My main issue is with the dodging, I hate hate hate how you can't dodge while moving. Other than that, and my life long issue of being unable to parry attacks in videos games, I had some fun.

I beat the guy in yellow's stage but couldn't beat the guy in purple's stage. The amount of running you do from the robot is silly and I can never seem to make enough of a dent moving forward before he catches up and then the enemy retakes the pullies so I'm out of luck with my short cut.

Would you say the yellow guy's stage or the purple guy's stage is more representative of the final game.

Also would it be fine for someone to simply never parry ever. I have no problems blocking, watching the animations, waiting for an opening but I will never be good enough at timing to parry attacks

I started off with the demo and was new to the series (and type of game), I'd say the game is more like the one where you don't run away from the robot. I think like 2 or 3 levels you have to do that running/time limit kind of thing. Parries aren't important, I did them on accident and beat the game with most characters. Get the game.

They showed some gameplay at their TGS stage show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeuQ2VisyTM
Around 12 minutes in is some Matsunaga footage.
Around 16 minutes in is some Tokugawa / Mitsunari in Keiji's Festival stage footage.

----

Here is some gameplay footage of people playing the Wii version at TGS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz9f0X575r8

----

Capcom released a promo video showing Matsunaga's gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmM4ciDx2RQ
Apparently more vids like this will come on Monday and Thursday.

Also some pictures of the alt costumes for the new peeps leaked recently. The ones I've seen aren't too clear, but I believe (predictably) Tenkai's alt is
his old Mitsuhide outfit
. Oh and Mogami's is
a matador!
^__^.

----

Some info from this week's Famitsu:

- The level cap is now 200.

- You can now buy materials in the BASARA shop, instead of continually grinding specific stages to get them.

- The BASARA lottery is back and works similar to SB2H's.

- You will unlock certain things at the start of the game for having SB3 data:
-- Already unlocked alt outfits
-- All full Character-specific items sets will carry over as their (new?) Utage-equivalent item.
-- Just having save data will give you 1,000 gold to start.
-- Collecting all weapons in SB3 will give you 3,000 gold.
-- You will earn 2,000 gold each for having these titles in SB3:
* Clear story mode with all the characters [at least once]
* Collect all the materials
* Collect all the items
* Max out all the characters' levels

- SB3 <--> SB3U Save Data Sync info:
-- Character levels / stats (Up to SB3s MAX of 100) / stats
-- Bodyguards unlocked

Top Bottom