• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes |OT| of team Ieyasu vs. team Mitsunari

http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6799057/1/#post8962317
Post 9 here has a ton of translated info about the new playable characters, some of the game's new stories and the game's development.

I found this interesting: "The NPC-turned-PCs here will have totally different moves; they are being created from scratch." In the Wii version, one could use Ocarina cheat codes to play as 11 of the game's 12 NPCs (couldn't play as Sorin). They have full S-Strings & a BASARA, but only partial skills. I had simply expected them to flesh those out by making more skills and character specific abilities (ex: Ieyasu's charge attacks or Kanbei's roll canceling) for them, but it sounds like they might be tweaking them all around.
I hated what they did to Kenshin's Shinsoku in 3, and I hope that gets fixed lol.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
AdawgDaFAB said:
I didn't see a thread for this, so I figured I'll just put it here:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/05/sengoku_basara_en/
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6799057/1/

Everyone, we have a BASARA 3 expansion coming out this fall!
Sengoku Basara 3 Utage
At least 8 new playable characters will be added, if not more, mostly NPCs from SB3.

Katakura Kojuuro
Sarutobi Sasuke
Kobayakawa Hideaki
Tenkai
Mogami Yoshiaki
Tachibana Muneshige
Otomo Sorin
Matsunaga Hisahide

HISAHIDE IS AT LONG LAST GOING TO BE A PLAYABLE CHARACTER!

I'm actually surprised they De-NPCified Sorin and finally added Hisahide, I look forward to seeing how things turn out. I don't have too high hopes about bringing back all the old characters, or even the 6 "lesser" NPCs, but I hope they at least de-NPCify Kenshin, Kasuga, Toshiie, Matsu and Hojo as well. This is a damn good start and I am prepared to hop back on the BASARA hype train.

Sigh.

Kojuuro, Sasuke, Tenkai -- I hate when they just shovel in old characters like this.

It's not really shoving in old characters, it is taking the 12 NPCs (of which 7 have been announced for this so far) from SB3 and making them fully playable again, while also finally adding Hisahide. It would be nice if they had other new characters too, but I honestly don't see them doing that in an expansion game like this.

I see it this way: They can add 13 or more characters to the game by putting in Hisahide and De-NPCifying the SB3 roster, maybe also adding Hideyoshi, Hanbei and Shingen since they still fit in w/ SB3's focus. Then in SB4 they can introduce new characters, while also bringing back the rest of the SB2H cast.

Tizoc

AdawgDaFAB said:
I didn't see a thread for this, so I figured I'll just put it here:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/05/sengoku_basara_en/
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6799057/1/

Everyone, we have a BASARA 3 expansion coming out this fall!
Sengoku Basara 3 Utage
At least 8 new playable characters will be added, if not more, mostly NPCs from SB3.

Katakura Kojuuro
Sarutobi Sasuke
Kobayakawa Hideaki
Tenkai
Mogami Yoshiaki
Tachibana Muneshige
Otomo Sorin
Matsunaga Hisahide

HISAHIDE IS AT LONG LAST GOING TO BE A PLAYABLE CHARACTER!

I'm actually surprised they De-NPCified Sorin and finally added Hisahide, I look forward to seeing how things turn out. I don't have too high hopes about bringing back all the old characters, or even the 6 "lesser" NPCs, but I hope they at least de-NPCify Kenshin, Kasuga, Toshiie, Matsu and Hojo as well. This is a damn good start and I am prepared to hop back on the BASARA hype train.
No playable Kasuga makes me sad...and who the fuck wants to play as Sorin?
Fuck yeah Muneshige tho, I'll always have him equipped with the acc. that lets a characters theme play throughout the stage-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNA4EZd78CI
Shed manly tears you fools!

Hisahide's theme is boss too-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS3pOOy3bls

Looking forward to this, but I do hope they improve on the gameplay. One thing I can see Sorin play like is to make him a character focused on getting lots of Zenny by sending his soldiers to do the work, ala Motonari.
Oh and please make getting weapons easier this time~

IIRC, SB3 sold well in US and EU correct? Here's hoping we get an english release to this as well.
...even if it'd be in the form of DLC for PS3 =P

Tizoc said:
No playable Kasuga makes me sad...
This is only the first bit of info, and looking at that post I linked to w/ BlackKite translating info, it's a LOT for a reveal. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kenshin, Kasuga, Toshiie, Matsu and Hojo are all playable as well. One of the aims of the game is to reintroduce some of the more lighted stories the series was known for, and all of them (except Kenshin) would fit that role nicely.

Tizoc said:
Looking forward to this, but I do hope they improve on the gameplay. One thing I can see Sorin play like is to make him a character focused on getting lots of Zenny by sending his soldiers to do the work, ala Motonari.
BlackKite on KW said:
Sorin: He can summon angels that will bring captured enemies to somewhere else. The Xavi tank in previous game also appears here.

Tizoc said:
IIRC, SB3 sold well in US and EU correct? Here's hoping we get an english release to this as well.

Oh I doubt that to be honest, however if there's sales data or statements to prove me wrong then I'll stand corrected. I also highly doubt this update seeing an English release will not happen. We(in the west) hardly get these expansion updates unless they added enough content to be consider like a dynasty warriors xtreme legends kind of thing.

Tizoc

AdawgDaFAB said:
This is only the first bit of info, and looking at that post I linked to w/ BlackKite translating info, it's a LOT for a reveal. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kenshin, Kasuga, Toshiie, Matsu and Hojo are all playable as well. One of the aims of the game is to reintroduce some of the more lighted stories the series was known for, and all of them (except Kenshin) would fit that role nicely.
I haven't checked your links yet, sorry ^_^;
Hopefully every character added will play differently and be a different experience =)

@U. Scholar-
I think the series sold around 500k or more? I'll keep requesting it in the CapcomUnity tho~

Tizoc said:
@U. Scholar-
I think the series sold around 500k or more? I'll keep requesting it in the CapcomUnity tho~

I'd be happy if you could get sales number for it. As it stands if that's the number I'm pleased to know half a million of us Westerners got down on that whacky warring states era.

I wonder what the ratio of new fans to old ones SB3 had, particularly in non-Japanese markets. I know personally that all of my friends who played SB2H w/ me got 3, but I also was able to introduce a lot of fans to the series who were reluctant to import the games before.

Tizoc said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406603
Well I'm somewhat basing it off that ^_^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Good stuff but that's shipped(which means nothing me to be honest) I need sold though.

AdawgDaFAB said:
I wonder what the ratio of new fans to old ones SB3 had, particularly in non-Japanese markets. I know personally that all of my friends who played SB2H w/ me got 3, but I also was able to introduce a lot of fans to the series who were reluctant to import the games before.

I mean you got me to get SB3 so there's that! I still think it's the best musou experience on the market.

Tizoc

Urban Scholar said:
Good stuff but that's shipped(which means nothing me to be honest) I need sold though.
Yeah, I'm sorry about that, when I read it I mistook it for sales ^_^;

TreIII

Hisahide?! AT LONG LAST?! HELL TO THE MUTHAFUGGIN YEAH! 8D

That almost makes up entirely for the likes of how all my faves from SB2H, like Nagamasa, Hanbei and Hideyoshi, were cut last time. If I can't get them back yet in this game, I'm hoping that at least that at least the rest of the veterans that did return in SB3, will be playable.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't place high hopes for localization this time. Seth Killian already stated on the E3 stream that because SB:SH "didn't deliver on expectations", that it's basically a wrap for BASARA in the West.

TreIII said:
Hisahide?! AT LONG LAST?! HELL TO THE MUTHAFUGGIN YEAH! 8D

That almost makes up entirely for the likes of how all my faves from SB2H, like Nagamasa, Hanbei and Hideyoshi, were cut last time. If I can't get them back yet in this game, I'm hoping that at least that at least the rest of the veterans that did return in SB3, will be playable.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't place high hopes for localization this time. Seth Killian already stated on the E3 stream that because SB:SH "didn't deliver on expectations", that it's basically a wrap for BASARA in the West.

Damn, I'd be an early adopter as I was for Samurai Heroes.

TreIII said:
;_;

Hopefully they try again with a PS3/WiiU Basara 4.

TreIII said:
That is very depressing.

TreIII said:

Lostconfused said:
That is very depressing.

Well, I'm still glad I got to experience a unique action game of this nature. If I have to import only I have no problem my Basara brothers.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Erigu said:
I'd say "like idiots", here... What the hell were they expecting, anyway?
Especially if Koei's willing to bring Fist of the North Star over here. I can't imagine that sold better.

It's not like Capcom spent any money on the translation job. Fans could do better than the garbage translations this game had

Erigu

zoner said:
It's not like Capcom spent any money on the translation job. Fans could do better than the garbage translations this game had
Well, I don't know that I'd go that far, but it was very uneven, yeah.

zoner said:
Especially if Koei's willing to bring Fist of the North Star over here. I can't imagine that sold better.

What? Are you telling my mighty monologues of contradictory ideals of war we wrong? Nah

Nakiro said:
Sure hope they bring it over, huge fan of the series, loved the anime, such a spectacle.

Update version isn't hitting the west as shared above. If my thread isn't an indication I'd highly recommend buying the game.

Tizoc

zoner said:

Translation seemed fine to me. Sure there were some typos but overall the translation didn't seem that bad.

Oh god if Kenshin is playable Im all over it!
Edit: Im not surprised about this not coming over west :( still sad news. Will definitely import.

Nakiro

Urban Scholar said:
Update version isn't hitting the west as shared above. If my thread isn't an indication I'd highly recommend buying the game.
Oh I thought it was just a speculation that it's not coming over. That's unfortunate.
I do have the game though. Along with the anime and awesome looking figures.

Great news that SB3 is getting an expansion.

Not so great news, that it might not even come out to NA. :/

I guess importing is a viable option now.

It's Capcom's fault that the series failed over here anyway. Sigh...guess I'll just let the English save file go to waste. -_- So happy that we have an official update though. I'll be importing for sure!

Seraphis Cain said:
This is the worst time to be a fan of niche Japanese games, I swear. :(

I like to think that being a Japanese niche fan feels more rewarding when you hit gold. It seems harder but the game are there.

Urban Scholar said:
I like to think that being a Japanese niche fan feels more rewarding when you hit gold. It seems harder but the game are there.
When was the last time that happened? Katamari Damacy?

Xater

AnkiRendan said:
It's Capcom's fault that the series failed over here anyway. Sigh...guess I'll just let the English save file go to waste. -_- So happy that we have an official update though. I'll be importing for sure!

Well kinda. It's probably a combination of pretty much no marketing and way too high expectations. They pretty much had to introduce the series here first and did nothing for that. They also should have taken a good look at how KOEI does business. They seem to stay profitable with their games.

Well the reason I'm blaming them is that they really didn't know their audience. I mean, I loved their dub for the game, minus Kenshin. The more paths I went through, the more I found that everyone really fit their character. But not including the dual audio was a seriously bad move. Even if the Wii lacked it, at least the PS3 would've gotten more sales. I know several people who found it fun, but found that playing with English voices in a Japanese setting was just too weird.

I'm not sure if it was IGN or the original Basara site that lied about the online in the PS3 version, but that also killed a lot of the hype with my friends. Considering that Capcom seems gung-ho about including online in their other PS3 titles, it's really strange/sad that they didn't think to include it here. Of course, all will be forgiven if they include it in this new game so I can play with you all. =D

I can agree that the marketing was overall pretty bad for this too. At least the Sengoku Basara anime did well enough for the second season to be dubbed I met Greg Ayres, who was Kenshin in the anime and his brother Christopher who was Shingen and they told me they finished dubbing for the second season. I'd like to hope that this will create more fans but I'm doubtful.

Ahhh, Capcom...give Basara another chance! Just include dual audio and do a better job of showing off gameplay AND cinematic scenes!

Erigu

AnkiRendan said:
not including the dual audio was a seriously bad move. Even if the Wii lacked it, at least the PS3 would've gotten more sales. I know several people who found it fun, but found that playing with English voices in a Japanese setting was just too weird.
Cute piece of trivia: non-English speaking European countries also got that English dub.
Oh, and those cutscenes that weren't subtitled? Yeah, I hear they didn't bother adding subtitles either.
So if you're, say, French, you buy the French version of Sengoku Basara 3, and end up with English-speaking samurai and untranslated cutscenes. Yay.

But they had "expectations" for the game's sales, you see. And they were not met.

I'm not sure if it was IGN or the original Basara site that lied about the online in the PS3 version
I'm pretty sure Capcom (Japan, anyway) never said anything about online. But yeah, that information ended up on pretty much all Western gaming sites, for some reason.

AnkiRendan said:
I'm not sure if it was IGN or the original Basara site that lied about the online in the PS3 version, but that also killed a lot of the hype with my friends.

The online co-op was something I and many of the posters you see on this page we excited about as it was reported via Japanese media. Then Capcom back pedaled on it. I think it came down to the fact of how much the budget was at the time. All those VAs working on this couldn't have been easy to budget so online got chopped is my guess.

Now for the Western effort I also think the funds of the localization combined with all the VAs proved a pretty penny. The game probably didn't even break even as we speak so...well no more Basara for us in the West.

Erigu

Urban Scholar said:
The online co-op was something I and many of the posters you see on this page we excited about as it was reported via Japanese media.
I'd really be interested in a source for that one, because I was following the whole thing quite closely, and I've never seen anything about that in Japanese media.

Erigu said:
I'd really be interested in a source for that one, because I was following the whole thing quite closely, and I've never seen anything about that in Japanese media.

I just saw your post after mine, I must have got into the assumption due to western sites then.

Erigu said:
Cute piece of trivia: non-English speaking European countries also got that English dub.
Oh, and those cutscenes that weren't subtitled? Yeah, I hear they didn't bother adding subtitles either.
So if you're, say, French, you buy the French version of Sengoku Basara 3, and end up with English-speaking samurai and untranslated cutscenes. Yay.

But they had "expectations" for the game's sales, you see. And they were not met.

...You can't be serious? REALLY? Man, how in the world is Capcom surprised that the game failed in Europe?! Ugh, I'm embarrassed for them, and yet...I do want to get this over with, and ask if there's a chance for the game's release at Capcom Unity while pointing out exactly where they screwed up.

Then again...if there is no online in Utage, it'd probably be pointless to ask.

Xater

Urban Scholar said:
The online co-op was something I and many of the posters you see on this page we excited about as it was reported via Japanese media. Then Capcom back pedaled on it. I think it came down to the fact of how much the budget was at the time. All those VAs working on this couldn't have been easy to budget so online got chopped is my guess.

Now for the Western effort I also think the funds of the localization combined with all the VAs proved a pretty penny. The game probably didn't even break even as we speak so...well no more Basara for us in the West.

Wasn't the last 8-4 podcast where someone mentioned that these localizations are actually not all that expensive? I know I heard it on one podcast last week. That's why a company like Atlus can make money of niche games because they keep their expectations in check. Know your audience, build from there.

Erigu

AnkiRendan said:
...You can't be serious? REALLY?
About the lack of subtitles, that's a complaint I've seen on another board. I think only some cutscenes were concerned (the victory cutscenes, perhaps?).
I just tried to check and there are Italian subtitles there, anyway (but some English captions in-game, for some reason).

Xater said:
Wasn't the last 8-4 podcast where someone mentioned that these localizations are actually not all that expensive? I know I heard it on one podcast last week. That's why a company like Atlus can make money of niche games because they keep their expectations in check. Know your audience, build from there.

Yes I recall this but Basara had like how many playable characters that were all notable VAs? Lots of folks right there and the sales didn't hi projections...unfortunately. Oh well more importing and I'll hold on to my SB SH copy as the first and last.

Top Bottom