• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Puruzi

Banned
Storyboards: Hiraku Kaneko

HOLY FUCK.

nsbzBr8.gif

This series is going to be legendary.

ShinMaruku

Shows generally ramp up in the middle. And for the best stuff you need an OAV to get some special stuff. Like how Senran Kagura finally ramped up in the middle. It's rare to have a explosive beginning. That's left to Toriyama.

I could live with less fanservice though.

It depends on how it's done, I think. I think the recurrent problem with ARMS is their approach to fanservice : basically, they keep on doing the same ero-animes they were doing 10 years ago but just with the sex scenes cuts. The end result has no thrill, no sense of playfulness, it just feels like a boring formality like they were following a bill of specifications with the number of pantyshots to display per scene...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
how the new anime is related to senran kagura anyway ?

also , that's not ecchi at all , that hentai

If it were "hentai" it wouldn't be a TV show. :p I didn't watch this yet but I can see that it has some pretty perverted shit going on. Have they gone too far?

I didn't expect the show to go quite this far. And this is just the first episode.

Not sure about it yet. I generally prefer teasing and leaving stuff to the imagination

And yes this is hentai

Someone send me a link in DM to somewhere I can get it... I want to see if this is over reacting or legitimate... Hard to tell what other peoples definitions are. When you say the H word I think immediately like La Blue Girl / Bible Black. Not Queen's Blade or Ikkitousen.

Edit: Just looked at screens.. some boobs and fan service. Definitely not the H word to me.

L.O.R.D

Someone send me a link in DM to somewhere I can get it... I want to see if this is over reacting or legitimate... Hard to tell what other peoples definitions are. When you say the H word I think immediately like La Blue Girl / Bible Black. Not Queen's Blade or Ikkitousen.

Edit: Just looked at screens.. some boobs and fan service. Definitely not the H word to me.

oh boy , screens is nothing like the full scene
you should search for the episode somewhere

There's at least one scene that is pretty clearly hentai. It's beyond fanservice

Eolz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdc9rez27BI

did they censored EV with the new patch ?

What is censored exactly?
Ayane never gets "naked" (anime lights) due to being from another franchise, a bit more SFW.

edit: Ok, just watched that first VD episode. This is indeed going in hentai territory.
While the animation is way better than the SK anime/OVAs, this isn't my kind of setting (even without the hentai scenes mind you). I really feel like I'm in the minority in this thread, can't really see much in this :/
edit2: Some could probably consider it borderline H, but for a first episode, this is really as close as it can be for Yuri... It's cut at the most explicit moments I guess.

ShinMaruku

What is censored exactly?
Ayane never gets "naked" (anime lights) due to being from another franchise, a bit more SFW.

edit: Ok, just watched that first VD episode. This is indeed going in hentai territory.
While the animation is way better than the SK anime/OVAs, this isn't my kind of setting (even without the hentai scenes mind you). I really feel like I'm in the minority in this thread, can't really see much in this :/
edit2: Some could probably consider it borderline H, but for a first episode, this is really as close as it can be for Yuri... It's cut at the most explicit moments I guess.

I'm with you on this one. That setting just don't do it for me. Oh and It's def in the soft core catergory. Also now THIS is lesbianic, unlike SK which has hints here and there. Game could be interesting though. But SK still has my look. But with them doing this when they come back to SK we should get some interesting stuff.

Same here. The setting is basically a retelling of Mai Hime, I don't care for the characters or the fanservice, the animation is competent but nothing truly original...
I'm still pissed that we had this instead of a new SK series.

ShinMaruku

Same here. The setting is basically a retelling of Mai Hime, I don't care for the characters or the fanservice, the animation is competent but nothing truly original...
I'm still pissed that we had this instead of a new SK series.

Hopefully we'll get another one as we get EV in the west. SK is much more interesting than VD. Time will tell. That said Ayane is too much in EV. She and her sister must be in the next one.

Eolz

I think we're guaranteed to get a new SK since it seems to sell sort of well in the west at least (and when you see the new system for LEs in Europe...).
They're probably waiting for the right opportunity and seeing how the market evolves in Japan as well: NX coming soon and Vita on its last legs in Japan, VR coming with DOAX3 and Summer Lesson, PS4 userbase and their buying habits to watch, etc.
Will be interesting to see, and Takaki is probably both enjoying the break and being able to experiment on some stuff without alienating the SK fanbase. Just hoping we won't have to wait too long, and that they already have some plans and preprod going on.

Demoskinos

I've been paying so little attention to VD I had no idea there was even an anime portion of it. I definitely don't care about the anime but honestly I'm not sure if I even care about the game. =\

I watched the full episode start to finish... Hardly H category... Like I said previously, some boobs and a hand in underoos. That aside I didnt really see anything to get excited about... The two main characters are really the only two with decent designs. The snake part was funny, but other than that, meh. I still stand by saying Queen's Blade is significantly worse.

Demoskinos

I watched the full episode start to finish... Hardly H category... Like I said previously, some boobs and a hand in underoos. That aside I didnt really see anything to get excited about... The two main characters are really the only two with decent designs. The snake part was funny, but other than that, meh. I still stand by saying Queen's Blade is significantly worse.

I dunno Queen's blade is alright in my book if for nothing else it has a monster girl that shoots acid out of her tits.

I loved this show and really made me look forward for Bhikkhuni on December. The setting is simply really interesting and they could go to very interesting places with the whole Liberator/Exstar/Hybrid dynamic.

Plus, I simply can't say no to a series where the protagonist is the lesbian sibling of Daidouji.

I just mentioned abotu fanservice because is gonna keep the whole project on a very specific niche and I think it would benefit greatly from a larger audience.

Also, that ED is freaking adorable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N1-3sheFYE

I've been paying so little attention to VD I had no idea there was even an anime portion of it. I definitely don't care about the anime but honestly I'm not sure if I even care about the game. =\

The anime and the game of VD are set in the same universe but features different protagonists , ennemies AND perspectives.
Do check the designs of both in order to get the proper picture of this franchise.

Oh and headphones required if you watch the anime :)

From the trailer, which I still love, I always expected the series to be a "turn into weapons with love/kissing" + fanservice and not "turn into weapons with sex". I don't know how clear that was from everything else released before the anime, I didn't really pay too much attention.

I'm still interested in the game since they'll have to tone it down a lot, but I'm way less excited for the franchise overall. Gonna give it a couple more episodes at least though

ShinMaruku

For those in the community make sure you use it for communty functions if you can. :) I love seeing sessions of the games in my communities.

Josephl64

I just watched Valkyrie Drive, and found it to be surprisingly good. I don't see it being anywhere close to hentai, although there is quite some ecchi in there. Was actually expecting a ton more, so strangely a bit let down? Action scenes are better than I expected although a tad too fast, but I can't really judge that based on the first ep.

Definitely was wondering where the purple haired girls came into this, and wasn't aware that there would be different protags for the anime and game. Kind of a shame since I was really hyped for the blonde girl, and hope she's playable in the game at least even as a side/extra char.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Watched VD Mermaid episode 1. Crazy perverted and also pretty well-animated. They went too much into the pervert realm to the point that it's just stupid, like when one girl is talking to the governor and her aureoles keep popping up because her tits are moving for no reason whatsoever. Just...stop. It's too much.

The premise is absurd and I can't help but look at the red-haired girl as Hibari from SK and the blonde girl as Ikaruga wearing Katsuragi's clothes, lol. Also she totally pulls a Silent Bob for no reason whatsoever and only speaks a few lines, because...?

At least the show knows its audience:

22085447136_88ca8b035e_o.jpg

I just watched Valkyrie Drive, and found it to be surprisingly good. I don't see it being anywhere close to hentai, although there is quite some ecchi in there. Was actually expecting a ton more, so strangely a bit let down?

Girls making out, feeling up breasts, and even fingering each other is not close enough for you? :p This is absolutely borderline hentai at times and I can see why nobody is streaming it. It's kinda funny how high the budget seems to be, lol.

Watched VD Mermaid episode 1. Crazy perverted and also pretty well-animated. They went too much into the pervert realm to the point that it's just stupid, like when one girl is talking to the governor and her aureoles keep popping up because her tits are moving for no reason whatsoever. Just...stop. It's too much.

Yeah, they're showing so much that it stops being interesting.

For english news, ANN, siliconera and Gematsu are your best option. If you don't mind stuff on japanese, Takaki's twitter and the series official twitter are your best option

https://twitter.com/valkyriedrive?lang=en

Ok cool, good to know, thanks.

It won't be on Ami. It is on Big in Japan and Nippon-Yasan I belive. It means it's supposed to sell exclusively through their website. But NY and BiJ wI'll get exclusives to sell. I don't really know the specifics though.

I've got them preordered on Ami so I'm all set, thanks for the info though, I can see how it seemed to be exclusive in the way you described, that's why I wanted to double check :p

As for what I thought about the first episode of VD:

I actually liked it quite a bit, possibly because I went in having no clue how far they'd take things but for me personally I felt they hit a pretty good balance for their first episode.

I think there's plenty of room to ramp things up action wise, and fan service wise they seemed to be pretty faithful to what they aimed for the project prerelease.

While I'd say the explicit scenes on their own aren't the craziest thing ever, things were put into perspective when I considered that first episodes are usually a starting point and many series "up the ante" multiple times throughout their run so I can see this going pretty damn far if they're already starting here.

I think going from SK to VD I was expecting a bit more personality to be on display since SK has such interesting characters, but they made it clear that they were establishing sort of "roles" with a few of the characters and it's not the biggest deal that character progression/development doesn't happen in the first half hour :p

As for the level of fan service, I thought it was perfect.

It had far less unnecessary shots from stupid angles to try to tease in the way that most shows do, but rather focused on the transformation scenes in a way that felt upfront.

I like the way they handled things so far so I'm looking forward to how they handle the rest of the series.

Josephl64

Watched VD Mermaid episode 1. Crazy perverted and also pretty well-animated.

Girls making out, feeling up breasts, and even fingering each other is not close enough for you? :p This is absolutely borderline hentai at times and I can see why nobody is streaming it. It's kinda funny how high the budget seems to be, lol.

I guess I don't see it, but I guess I should clarify something. For me it wasn't a matter of wanting to see more or less, I just saw it hyped up as way more lewd than I thought it to be so I was kind of anticipating how crazy it could have been.

That being said, I strangely enough found the chubby girl in the yellow bikini to be a bit much, but not everything else so I guess it's just me being weird.

Top Bottom