• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Will post VD impressions when I get a chance tomorrow. Probably won't have time to play it during the day.

Lyte Edge

My copy of VD Bhikkuni just arrived!

Mamori and Mirei are DLC for Bhikkhuni!

phil.png

wow , the bosses in this game look very good
wished they have something like that in SV

is there any bosses on EV ?

Estival Versus doesn't have bosses like that...you just fight the other characters, although there are several 'boss' characters who are noticeablely more powerful and clearly meant to be bosses, despite being playable.

Senran Kagura 2 does have some large bosses, however.

Lyte Edge

Am messing around with the training mode right now. My first impression is that this looks better than Senran Kagura (there's more detail on everything) and runs really smooth, like Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus did (Estival has framerate issues and runs at like have the framerate on Vita). There's an interesting 'flight' mechanic where you jump, then jump again and hold the button for a second. Letting go will propel you towards your locked-on target and you can keep doing this in succession.

23631684526_b180d2fd8c_c.jpg

Lyte Edge

Training mode #1 is done. So basically you have:

[ ] and /\ - main attack buttons
O - can be used for additional attacks and starting air combos
X - Jump/hover/homing dash/flight

The mode I tried didn't cover dodging. When your gauge is full, you can not only start the weapon power-up process with your partner (L and R), but also pressing L and X caused the character to power-up and turn into what I can best describe as a "half-naked TRON girl." There's also items you can pick up and use and the camera zoom levels can be adjusted in-game. I'll take screenshots when I'm at home.

The graphics are really pretty impressive for the platform. This shits all over Senran, visually, so far.

Main Menu modes:

Story Mode
Training Mode
Challenge Mode
Survival Mode
Online Mode
Dining Room
Collection Room
Store
Settings

There are seven characters on the select screen to start.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Xseed posted this on their Twitter.

CV4_ojGWIAEz3CJ.png

& by "limited time", they mean a whopping MONTH. So you have plenty of time to grab Homura if you have any interest in the game.

Not to mention, I think Homura was a pre-order bonus or day one copy deal in Japan, so being free DLC for everyone for an entire month is very generous.

L.O.R.D

Xseed posted this on their Twitter.

CV4_ojGWIAEz3CJ.png

& by "limited time", they mean a whopping MONTH. So you have plenty of time to grab Homura if you have any interest in the game.

Not to mention, I think Homura was a pre-order bonus or day one copy deal in Japan, so being free DLC for everyone for an entire month is very generous.
Seeing some gameplay for that game, it look very bad.

Lyte Edge

Seeing some gameplay for that game, it look very bad.

I've played the arcade version. It's made by EXAMU, the developer behind Arcana Heart. Plays similarly and was fun enough that I decided to import it. It's a good game.

Lyte Edge

OK, wow, VD is way deeper than SK-- the phantom system mechanic allows for timed combos that you can do in succession, going from phantom strikes, into a a phantom blast extreme, into a phantom strike ultimate combo. You can also use the dodge button to cancel regular combos. Not sure what exactly you can do after that yet.

Lyte Edge

LOL, I wish I'd just started the story mode-- you start off going through the same tutorial stuff! Am really surprised by how much deeper the combat is compared to SK. Can't say that enough. The phantom system really shines here. Might take people a little while to get used to it, but basically to start doing the multiple chains, you're going to be using a lot of O and X to get started, usually involving sequences like tap/hold/tap tap/hold, etc. This leads to huge combos like O, O, X (hold), X, Square X3, O, X (Hold), X, Square X 3, O, X (hold), X Triangle, etc. We're entering fighting game territory here! In fact this might actually be a turn off to some players.

My biggest complaint about the game so far is in fact related to the phantom system-- the move list doesn't list any of the phantom combos! WHY?

So yeah, if you like Senran Kagura...don't even hesitate to buy this game. It does pretty much everything better.

Puruzi

Banned
LOL, I wish I'd just started the story mode-- you start off going through the same tutorial stuff! Am really surprised by how much deeper the combat is compared to SK. Can't say that enough. The phantom system really shines here. Might take people a little while to get used to it, but basically to start doing the multiple chains, you're going to be using a lot of O and X to get started, usually involving sequences like tap/hold/tap tap/hold, etc. This leads to huge combos like O, O, X (hold), X, Square X3, O, X (Hold), X, Square X 3, O, X (hold), X Triangle, etc. We're entering fighting game territory here! In fact this might actually be a turn off to some players.

My biggest complaint about the game so far is in fact related to the phantom system-- the move list doesn't list any of the phantom combos! WHY?

So yeah, if you like Senran Kagura...don't even hesitate to buy this game. It does pretty much everything better.

holy shit this game sounds based

Eolz

I kinda regret not buying some of the Ayane SK merch now, seems to be sold out everywhere...
Spent that money on a DOAX3 collector edition, but still.

I love Senran Kagura but I hated how simple it was when it comes to the combat. I'm more used to games like Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta so hearing that VD isn't just smash square and to end the string hit triangle is the best news I could've heard. Now, to choose if I import the game or wait for someone to localize the game.

Alfebit

Banned

Dang, this is sounding really good.

Bit the bullet and ordered the HK version of VD to go with my pre-ordered HK version of DoAX3, after Gamestop had $20 16GB Vita memory cards yesterday.

Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkuni is seriously good. SK looks so shallow in comparison. VD is the game that makes me wonder how well received Takakis games would be if he wasn't serving us life/hometown and made more mainstream appeal games.

Top Bottom