• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
except it's actually nowhere near a "valid point"
Well, my point was if they played as Mirai & made that claim about HER specifically, I could see where they're coming from, considering her small physique. Still a rather young age to guess, but she easily looks the youngest, so whatever. Guess "valid point" was the wrong choice of wording.

Now saying EVERYONE is the same age (mainly freakin' 12), especially considering we've got characters over 20 years old (i.e Daidouji & Rin, but I'm sure they weren't in the E3 demo) is flat-out wrong.

ShinMaruku

Miyabi and Imu are 21 as well. This game has more adults than people will give it credit for. I'd kill for a prequel time game.

Alfebit

Banned
:D

Mission Successful.

image_zpsmhipwovj.jpg

Noice. Those are some nice Katsu cards.

Eolz

:D

Mission Successful.

image_zpsmhipwovj.jpg

Nice!

"So, let me talk you through one mission from the game. This is pretty much every level I played at E3 today. I was dropped into a hallway full of lots of Japanese schoolgirls. I mashed buttons to slice through these schoolgirls with ease, knocking all but their underwear off before killing them. I powered up by removing all my clothes and shoving a scroll between my breasts, then continued to mash buttons, slaying schoolgirls until they met their naked doom."

We must have played two different games, because not only is the sexuality somewhat toned-down in SK2, but you spend most of the game fighting off ninjas and then demons, including huge bosses. This description sounds more like the first game. Who wrote this, anyway?

Laura Kate Dale, UK Editor (Queen of England)

The perfect person to write about a niche action game clearly aimed at a horny male audience.

Uh yeah that's weird, or even SV/EV could fit the description, but that doesn't sound like SK2...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Miyabi and Imu are 21 as well. This game has more adults than people will give it credit for. I'd kill for a prequel time game.

Let's not pretend that this game doesn't have a ton of teenaged schoolgirls in it. It's very much a perverted fan service game -it just so happens to be an actual good game series instead of complete trash attempting to sell itself on perverted content alone- aimed squarely at dudes and so the Destructoid article doesn't surprise me in the least. Maybe it's clickbait or they just dumped coverage of the game onto that reviewer, which disgusted her. I can certainly see why women would not care for a game like this. :p

Demoskinos

Let's not pretend that this game doesn't have a ton of teenaged schoolgirls in it. It's very much a perverted fan service game -it just so happens to be an actual good game series instead of complete trash attempting to sell itself on perverted content alone- aimed squarely at dudes and so the Destructoid article doesn't surprise me in the least. Maybe it's clickbait or they just dumped coverage of the game onto that reviewer, which disgusted her. I can certainly see why women would not care for a game like this. :p

I don't think that's necessarily true though. Unlike a lot of games or anime for that matter this isn't a harem situation where there is one dorky guy having all of these hot women fuss over him. The thing about SK is its just a celebration of attractive ladies no dudes around which I think sets the ground to be able to be attractive to lesbian/bi-sexual people as well. This isn't just a male fantasy game. Hell there are flat out multiple lesbian characters. Its a game for people who like other women. Also, I think fretting about the age thing is silly with fictional characters. Shiki is only 15 because her profile "says" she is. She has the body of a well developed 18yr old as do most of the cast.

Lyte Edge

I don't think that's necessarily true though. Unlike a lot of games or anime for that matter this isn't a harem situation where there is one dorky guy having all of these hot women fuss over him. The thing about SK is its just a celebration of attractive ladies no dudes around which I think sets the ground to be able to be attractive to lesbian/bi-sexual people as well. This isn't just a male fantasy game. Hell there are flat out multiple lesbian characters. Its a game for people who like other women.

Come on, you can't be serious. I mean, I enjoy these games a lot and all, but let's not pretend that they're not what they really are. It's one of the most perverted game series ever made, and that's fine. I appreciate that there's actually something fun to go along with all that or I wouldn't be bothering playing any of these titles.

Also, I think fretting about the age thing is silly with fictional characters. Shiki is only 15 because her profile "says" she is. She has the body of a well developed 18yr old as do most of the cast.

This is the equivalent of the "10,000 year old loli" argument.

Puruzi

Banned
No it isn't. "10,000 year old lolis" look like lolis. Shiki looks older then her age. It's like, the reverse of that argument.

That argument is still silly though because it's only ever happened in like 3 games.

Demoskinos

Come on, you can't be serious. I mean, I enjoy these games a lot and all, but let's not pretend that they're not what they really are. It's one of the most perverted game series ever made, and that's fine. I appreciate that there's actually something fun to go along with all that or I wouldn't be bothering playing any of these titles.

Well I am so take that as you will. I never said it wasn't perverted or fanservicy but I don't think the way its presented makes it purely a male fantasy game. As I said before there are plenty of lesbian characters.

ShinMaruku

Of course it's a perverted great game, it's why I will never act shocked at it's content. That's why I will laugh at that content. You take the game as it is. There are much worse things that people will never actually contend because it's hard. But Desturctiod probably put that lady on it because it's an accepable target. :p

Lyte Edge

No it isn't. "10,000 year old lolis" look like lolis. Shiki looks older then her age. It's like, the reverse of that argument.

It's the same principle. It's just like with Dead Or Alive. I don't really understand why they don't simply up the characters' ages because none of them look realistic anyway.

Well I am so take that as you will. I never said it wasn't perverted or fanservicy but I don't think the way its presented makes it purely a male fantasy game. As I said before there are plenty of lesbian characters.

Do those characters strike you as "lesbians?" Do lesbians drool over breasts and try to grope each other all the time? It's a Japanese male fantasy game, dude. Come on. Totally part of that otaku 'culture'.

Of course it's a perverted great game, it's why I will never act shocked at it's content. That's why I will laugh at that content. You take the game as it is. There are much worse things that people will never actually contend because it's hard. But Desturctiod probably put that lady on it because it's an accepable target. :p

Yup, I agree with you. I'm simply pointing everything out. I will never understand how people can get upset over some boobs but accept violence and gore like it's nothing. I wonder what she thinks about the DLC breast size adjustment option, lol.

Demoskinos

Do those characters strike you as "lesbians?" Do lesbians drool over breasts and try to grope each other all the time? It's a Japanese male fantasy game, dude. Come on. Totally part of that otaku 'culture'.

Who's to say they don't? Each person is different. I'm not going to generalize groups of people. But I'm sure something like this would be way more appealing to lesbians than something where there is a male as the main character. And yeah, its totally part of otaku culture but again ladies are part of that culture as well and ladies also like lewd things.

ShinMaruku

I think it's less of the lesbian angle and more of the just overall perviness factor. It's like Katsuragi is what Roshi would want his granddaughter to be. :p

Lyte Edge

Who's to say they don't? Each person is different. I'm not going to generalize groups of people. But I'm sure something like this would be way more appealing to lesbians than something where there is a male as the main character. And yeah, its totally part of otaku culture but again ladies are part of that culture as well and ladies also like lewd things.

Sure, yeah. But this game is clearly aimed at a male demographic. Look at the marketing for it. Look a the live specials they did for it. It's a pervy action game for dudes. Ladies welcome if they're into it.

Lyte Edge

I think it's less of the lesbian angle and more of the just overall perviness factor. It's like Katsuragi is what Roshi would want his granddaughter to be. :p

It's a typical anime/manga trope. Doesn't mean the characters are supposed to be lesbians.

ShinMaruku

I think people are reading into that too much. Outside of the one sided perepective of Imu and Yagyuu.

But like I said only thing stated outright is Rin and Daidouji's Kiraya crushes.

Puruzi

Banned
I think people are reading into that too much. Outside of the one sided perepective of Imu and Yagyuu.

But like I said only thing stated outright is Rin and Daidouji's Kiraya crushes.

But you're wrong. Because it's outright shown that Imu, Yagyuu, and Haruka like girls. It's literally not possible to deny it.
Katsu too actually.

Ok, let's see:

- Daidouji has never shown any real interest on Kiriya (the mangas aren't canon to the games) so the only one with a canon romantic interest is Rin.

- Yagyuu has only gotten gayer over the time

- Imu is canonically in love with Miyabi

- Homura is way too invested on Asuka for a simple rivalry. I mean, the Crimson Squad got involved on Versus' plot because Homura's concerns over Asuka

- Haruka hits on anyone strikes her fancy

- Ikaruga and Yomi get some really heavy undertones, specially on SK2

- Katsu outright said she rather flirt with girls than boys

Eolz

Ok, let's see:

- Daidouji has never shown any real interest on Kiriya (the mangas aren't canon to the games) so the only one with a canon romantic interest is Rin.

- Homura is way too invested on Asuka for a simple rivalry. I mean, the Crimson Squad got involved on Versus' plot because Homura's concerns over Asuka

I agree with all of this bar Daidoji (the manga is a retelling, and I'm sure Taka said something about it), and Katsuragi is a complicated case: she "flirts" to have fun, not because she wants to go out with girls, and also because she's shown she doesn't know how to react when people flirt with her.

There's also Ryona but...

ShinMaruku

Ok, let's see:

Some of it is reading too much into stuff. The Manga stuff is cannon. Some good background is established from the manag.

Yagyuu and Imu are the ones we can for sure say have solid points to. Katsu and Haruka are just oh so flirty ladies. I'd kill for a young Jiraiya type character to bounce off all the ladies with his perviness. Make him Hanzo understudy, I'd die from the comedy.

Some of it is reading too much into stuff. The Manga stuff is cannon. Some good background is established from the manga.

Yagyuu and Imu are the ones we can for sure say have solid points to. Katsu and Haruka are just oh so flirty ladies. I'd kill for a young Jiraiya type character to bounce off all the ladies with his perviness. Make him Hanzo understudy, I'd die from the comedy.

You're mixing stories here.

The bit with Daidouji crushing on Kiriya is a bonus illustration on the Guren no Hebi manga that is very loosely based on Burst's Hebijo story.

The mangas can shown some elements that are later picked up on the games but they aren't canon.

The problem with introducing a male character is that it would break the balance completely. A lot of stuff on the games can be tolerated/not taken seriously precisely due the all female cast. Introducing a male character would carry some very unpleasant implications for a lot of fans, especially a perverted one.

This video will add nothing to the discussion , but it's me playing daidouji , and i kinda wanted to share it i guess.

Daidouji is a beast. Loving her moves.

Dadouji looks cool but I like her SK2 incarnation better. Not only her model really showed off her sculpted physique, her stance made her one of the best (if not the best) characters on the whole game.

ShinMaruku

You're mixing stories here.

The bit with Daidouji crushing on Kiriya is a bonus illustration on the Guren no Hebi manga that is very loosely based on Burst's Hebijo story.

The mangas can shown some elements that are later picked up on the games but they aren't canon.

The problem with introducing a male character is that it would break the balance completely. A lot of stuff on the games can be tolerated/not taken seriously precisely due the all female cast. Introducing a male character would carry some very unpleasant implications for a lot of fans, especially a perverted one.

Dadouji looks cool but I like her SK2 incarnation better. Not only her model really showed off her sculpted physique, her stance made her one of the best (if not the best) characters on the whole game.
Given that we have Hanzo who is the dirty old man, they could put it off with the ladies treating him like how Saiyru treated Hazno when he was being silly or Hideyoshi and Nene in Samuria Warriors make it something that alter the balance.

Hanzo barely gets a pass because he isn't a main character. You're suggesting to add a main male character.

Can you honestly believe that people would be fine with a guy doing the same kind of stuff that Katsu does?

ShinMaruku

I would think people would be miffed with whoever did it. Now I don't mean an over main character but maybe a side playble character who tilts the story now and then.

Eolz

Just noticed SK 2 got an M from the ESRB.

Not surprising. Marvelous said in one of their updates that this was the rating they expected, and that this was also partly why they weren't selling it directly.
Themes are darker after all, and there was already a pose editor before EV.

Daidoji is a beast. Why did you edit out the transformation?
Because people on the internet are stupid and getting my vids flaggued/reported is annoying after a while. I didn't edit the transformation this time, i skipped it in game because i was in the groove of punching things up.
Estival versus is action packed and sometimes you just don't want that momentum broken.

she is one of the best character in the whole game too, in estival.
I mean each game where she is playable they make her Top - tier, almost like a requirement.

I love more than her moves.

I love the contrast between her normal state and her transformed state. I love her when she talk too ..oh and those abs...
Yeah daidouji is top-tier waifu character material.

ShinMaruku

I like her and Rin because of their big boobies and the fact that they are older than the standard yet younger than the western bunch. It makes me tingle.

Vylash

Takaki: One of the things I really want to do is have a game where all of the girls have a water pistol fight. The girls would get drenched rather than fighting each other.

oh. my. god.

Q: Why are there no male playable characters?

Takaki: If you want to play with a male character, there are a lot of games that feature them. And I just like girls. There is a male character in Deep Crimson for the first time though. He’s not a main character but you will be able to play as a male. It’s more like a joke character.
Takaki fucking rules

Anime girls never come out from the TV, no matter how hard we try
:(

Top Bottom