• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

i guess i'll stick with it. yeah, i was hoping it was more intelligent than it is but so far it is all about being vague and philosophical and all that shit. there's just so many things that they can chop off and not affect anything.
ie. the Matrix.

So the question becomes, if there is another season is it better we actually don't get too many more details?

ie. the Matrix.

So the question becomes, if there is another season is it better we actually don't get too many more details?

yeah but no one actually watched the matrix because of those. i don't even know what was happening by the 3rd movie.

sense8 doesn't have those action moments to fall back on, so we're left with those other stuff which came from the matrix.

Senoculum

Finally caught the last 3 episodes last night. As tense and as violent as an action film - fucking awesome. It also made my girlfriend tear up. Excellent show.

I kept repeating something to myself as I watched it; "this is so human." Though I felt some stories were better than others; each one had an expression of humour, or an eventual dramatic escalation that made it worthwhile. I totally agree with some posters who've described the show as "character-driven." I honestly found myself rooting for some of these characters. It was especailly awesome when near the end of the season each one brought forth their strengths; whether in chemistry, hacking, or having balls of steel.

And what's great is that the sci-fi bits were just as awesome. There's enough lore in there that was really gripping, interesting and unique. A part of me fears that the second season will wash away the mystique; but oh man, am I ready for season 2.

tauroxd

That was about PMS? How did I miss that?

Sun was on her period and Lito was connected with her that day, so he was feeling how she was feeling. I think that it was funny and it may ofend people but you can think, like a poster aboe said, that it was to show how a man can't handle it,

Man does this show pick up after the first few episodes. Amazing characters and the concept introduces some really interesting dynamics and world building further on. The show has a lot of heart and had some absolutely beautifully shot scenes. Not to mention the music, my god the soundtrack and song choice was sublime. Safe to say that I'm excited for the next season.

IISANDERII

Just love that they film on location. Otherwise i thought it was just ok; too many characters and too much jumping around. Sun is my favourite but i don't see where she goes from here other than a vendetta on her brother.

I like the idea of the show but the larger plot is uninteresting to me.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Sun was on her period and Lito was connected with her that day, so he was feeling how she was feeling. I think that it was funny and it may ofend people but you can think, like a poster aboe said, that it was to show how a man can't handle it,

I thought it was funny. I don't think it was to show how a man can't handle it. Lito is prone to be being a bit dramatic and Hernando didn't seem to be too phased by it judging by the car conversation.

So are we getting season 2? I need some more Lito in my life

No word yet. :(

jond76

Banned
Overall I enjoyed this.

My main gripe was just a creative decision...

I get the concept of these sense8s visiting each other, but there were times I wanted to see the actual person do the fighting and not the "visitor".

IE: It would have been really cool to see Van Damme actually whoop those guys asses.

They just had to show the concept couple of times then, ok, we get it.

Overall a minor gripe. Decent show, will continue on to season 2.

duckroll

I agree that it would be nice to see each character do the action, but it's probably a pain in the ass logistically. They would need a trained stunt person for each character in that case. The way they handled it, they only needed one stunt actress to stand in for Sun regardless of the scene.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Well, at times you can see the actual person fighting or doing the task. In the Lito and Wolfgang part, you see Lito doing the fighting for a bit. When Nomi is escaping and Sun and Will are helping her, you can see Nomi doing some of the kicks. It is there, but you have to look for it in the fighting parts. For some of the other tasks, you can see Wolfgang building the bomb as Kala and Will looking for the medicine to wake Riley up as Kala.

This felt like a really promising first draft. I absolutely love all the ideas involved, but the execution was uneven and indulgent at times, with some truly fantastic scenes followed by overbearingly dull or repetitive or cheesy sections.

JMS on board and a five-season plan (Psi Corps: Origins, anyone?) gives me hope, though. Babylon 5's first season was kind of rough, too.

Raistlin

Sorry to repeat, but can anyone answering the following? Not sure I missed something ...

One thing I'm a little confused on and wonder if I missed? The older sensate Riley had a connection to stated Jonas was the bad guy, and basically a hunter working for Whispers. Did they ever really go down the path of answering that? Clearly Jonas was being abused at the end, so certainly he wasn't working for Whispers' side ... or at least he ended up betraying him.

So was the other sensate simply wrong? Actually working for Whispers and spreading lies? Correct, but Jonas switched sides? I'm just wondering if I missed a part that answered this, or is that something that will either just get dropped or possibly continued in a potential season 2?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to repeat, but can anyone answering the following? Not sure I missed something ...

One thing I'm a little confused on and wonder if I missed? The older sensate Riley had a connection to stated Jonas was the bad guy, and basically a hunter working for Whispers. Did they ever really go down the path of answering that? Clearly Jonas was being abused at the end, so certainly he wasn't working for Whispers' side ... or at least he ended up betraying him.

So was the other sensate simply wrong? Actually working for Whispers and spreading lies? Correct, but Jonas switched sides? I'm just wondering if I missed a part that answered this, or is that something that will either just get dropped or possibly continued in a potential season 2?

No, it was never answered. J Michael Straczynski even tweeted about it:

JMichael Straczynski ‏@straczynski Jun 24

More #sense8 riddles: why would Yrsa say Angelica worked for Whispers? Isn't it curious that Whispers said "you're coming home" to Angelica?
I assume this will be explored if we get a S2.

My guess is that Angelica did work for Whispers in some way. I'm not sure of Jonas' role since it is pretty clear that Whispers never met Jonas until he was caught.

Minamu

So my gf has casually mentioned an interest in this but I'm not really a series kind of guy any more. This hasn't really caught my eye and the wachowski's rep ain't exactly great these days so I'm skeptical. Is it any good at all? I assume a season 2 isn't announced yet, is it likely? I don't wanna waste my time tbh :/

El Topo

So my gf has casually mentioned an interest in this but I'm not really a series kind of guy any more. This hasn't really caught my eye and the wachowski's rep ain't exactly great these days so I'm skeptical. Is it any good at all? I assume a season 2 isn't announced yet, is it likely? I don't wanna waste my time tbh :/

It's a very divisive show. I absolutely loved it, more than the other Netflix shows. Very special show.

IISANDERII

Maybe i short changed it. There's something hard to describe about this show that i really enjoyed: The atmosphere, the mood. The show has a special feel about it and I'm not sure where it comes from or how it comes about. Is it the music, the sound design, the cinematography? I don't know but in retrospect i loved that part where they sang What's Up and often thought about it each time i watched so perhaps that was it?

Croc

Banned
Maybe i short changed it. There's something hard to describe about this show that i really enjoyed: The atmosphere, the mood. The show has a special feel about it and I'm not sure where it comes from or how it comes about. Is it the music, the sound design, the cinematography? I don't know but in retrospect i loved that part where they sang What's Up and often thought about it each time i watched so perhaps that was it?

One thing that really makes the show stand apart from other shows to me is its positivity. Most shows I watch nowadays, especially ones with a serious tone like this, are all about situations getting worse and shitty things happening to characters and people hitting rock bottom but with sense8 even if things get bad for awhile things almost always turn out well, if not better. At first I thought it was just how the show was going to start and then it'd take a turn as the plot developed, but it stayed that way all throughout.
Some of my favorite examples are
Nomi and her girlfriend's relationship staying healthy and loving.
After Daniela discovers Lito's boyfriend, she's happy and doesn't try to blackmail them (like I was expecting, even though that kind of happens later).
Capheus always coming away unharmed even when he put himself into incredibly dangerous situations. His mother remained unharmed too.
First seeing Riley's relationship with her father after she was scared to go home, and seeing how much they love each other.

I'm just hoping
Sun's
story gets some much needed positivity next season, assuming there is one.

duckroll

I don't think she's wrong. She has no reason to lie. Jonas and Angelica probably did work for Whispers birthing and hunting other clusters to be used by the organization, but in the end they had enough of it and tried to escape.

Tawpgun

Watched the first 2 episodes.

One thing that stuck out for me was how the show tries to tackle some of the social issues of our time.

Lesbian couple during pride week, one of them is trans, has an unapproving mother.
White cop rescues black teen shot in presumed gang violence. Gets shit for it.
Guy has a secret life with a gay lover.

I don't mind it, but it did seem a little... obvious.

IISANDERII

One thing that really makes the show stand apart from other shows to me is its positivity. Most shows I watch nowadays, especially ones with a serious tone like this, are all about situations getting worse and shitty things happening to characters and people hitting rock bottom but with sense8 even if things get bad for awhile things almost always turn out well, if not better. At first I thought it was just how the show was going to start and then it'd take a turn as the plot developed, but it stayed that way all throughout.
After Daniela discovers Lito's boyfriend, she's happy and doesn't try to blackmail them (like I was expecting, even though that kind of happens later).
Capheus always coming away unharmed even when he put himself into incredibly dangerous situations. His mother remained unharmed too.
First seeing Riley's relationship with her father after she was scared to go home, and seeing how much they love each other.

I'm just hoping
Sun's
Yeah you're so right. And nearly all of the characters are on the same side, not in conflict with each other so that makes more room for the positivity as well.

The wife and I just finished watching this and it's our favorite Netflix show yet (we've watched HoC, OITNB, Unbreakable KS, Marco Polo and Daredevil).

We liked all 8 sensates which is truly incredible. It's really hard to get them all to be likable and for very different reasons.

Very much looking forward to season 2 and how Will will have to deal with Whispers.

I'm thinking Netflix will at least give 2 seasons. Heck, Hemlock Grove got 3.

Yeah, I mean do you really have to show a gooey, wet strap-on dildo hitting the floor? So glad it's spoiler free now :)

I thought the point was to let the audience know Nomi had made a full transition, because it's not mentioned any other time on the show. Whether that's relevant or not is a whole other issue.

To be fair to men, I'm sure women freak out on their first period as well, and usually they know what's going on. Poor Lito had no clue.

dave_m123

I'm upto episode 6 and I like it so far. Its a slow burn but is intriguing. Lots of nice little moments like near the end of episode 4 when they all start singing.

Is it me or is the entire cast rally attractive. Can't keep my eyes of Will and Wolfgang WOOF!

Can't look at Martha from Dr Who the same again lol

Finished season 1 last night. It's a decent concept and very pretty to look at, but has mostly terrible writing and a few cringe-worthy performances. I'll admit it, I mainly stuck around for the eye candy. (Will/Brian J. Smith...yummy).

I would definitely give season 2 a shot to see if it improves in quality. Also for the eye candy.

Croc

Banned
I thought the point was to let the audience know Nomi had made a full transition, because it's not mentioned any other time on the show. Whether that's relevant or not is a whole other issue.
You don't need a vagina to get fucked with a dildo tho

hamchan

Man this show sure gets better after the first few episodes. Wolfgang, Sun, Van Damme, Lito were all pretty damn awesome characters.
Sign me up for season 2.

After just finishing the season just a few minutes ago I've gotta say that may be my favorite Netflix show yet. The characters are great, the show is stylish without being wholly outlandish, and they give a lot of focus to the actual personal issues at hand in everyone's lives. It's an action-y show, but the concept is used sometimes just for characters having heart-to-hearts (the
Nomi/Lito
scene in the museum was one of my favorites). Also it gives me an almost grounded Heroes vibe, when a situation will come up that seems to tough, and at just the right moment a character who can handle it pops in with their specialty. The sequences when they're combining are especially great.

Looking forward to (hopefully) next season.

LaNaranja

Finished it yesterday. Absolutely loved it. GOAT tier TV show sitting right next to Twin Peaks. That said holy shit was Riley a lame character. She had 0 skills at anything and she holds the unique distinction of being the only member of the cluster never to help anyone else. They supposedly have the whole series mapped out already so I am curious to see where they are planning to take her character. As of this season:

Van Damme > Lito > Wolfgang > Nomi > Kala > Sun > Will > Riley

I'm just hoping
Sun's

I was also surprised Nomi's friend never dicked her over. He seemed genuinely grateful that she had saved his ass those years ago. And every scene with Van Damme was a joy. His smile was infectious.

Croc

Banned
I was also surprised Nomi's friend never dicked her over. He seemed genuinely grateful that she had saved his ass those years ago. And every scene with Van Damme was a joy. His smile was infectious.

Yep, and along with that guy I was really expecting some bad shit from him once he called Nomi by her old name, especially since this was partly directed by a transwoman and that's usually seen as an act of violence. But he seemed genuinely sorry and started calling her Nomi after that.

I did like Riley though, overall. She may not have contributed much in the beginning but I think she definitely has purpose. I think without the cluster her depression probably would have gotten the better of her. I think she's there to show that those in the cluster aren't just there to help each other out with shared physical abilities, but shared emotional connections as well. That even after going through things as awful as she did, she was able to recover with help from the cluster.

duckroll

Yep, and along with that guy I was really expecting some bad shit from him once he called Nomi by her old name, especially since this was partly directed by a transwoman and that's usually seen as an act of violence. But he seemed genuinely sorry and started calling her Nomi after that.

I never got the impression that the guy was harmful in any way. He reminded me a lot of Mcconaughey in Dallas Buyers Club actually. In the sense that he's clearly a redneck type guy who was brought up this way, doesn't have much personal knowledge or experience with regards to stuff like this, and so he's pretty offensive initially, but deep down he's not a bigot or anything, just a guy who lacks tact and understanding.

Moff

the first two episodes were very bad. I am sure many people will drop this show because of them. nothing happens, and full of tropes. what bothered me the most was probably how every single storyline took place in the capital of it's country, well except for the US.

however, the show certainly grew on me, it was very enjoyable, especially because of the cast. I don't think I ever saw a show where every member of the main cast was as likeable as here. every time I try to rank them I come up with all of them. a few of them had boring stories though, the cop, the scientist and the djane most of all. speaking of which, that riley has no real power she can contribute to the group makes me think her baby might be important? unlike her husband we never saw it die did we? unless of course her superpower is her beauty. but then again, wolfang and lito might beat her on that.

I give the first season 7 of 10 childbirths and would binge watch a second, bring it on.

Croc

Banned
I never got the impression that the guy was harmful in any way. He reminded me a lot of Mcconaughey in Dallas Buyers Club actually. In the sense that he's clearly a redneck type guy who was brought up this way, doesn't have much personal knowledge or experience with regards to stuff like this, and so he's pretty offensive initially, but deep down he's not a bigot or anything, just a guy who lacks tact and understanding.

I agree (aside from DBC, I haven't seen that). My point was just that a lot of the characters in this show were very subversive. So when that guy showed up and that first meeting didn't exactly go 100% smoothly, I wasn't expecting things to go as well as they did from then on. I was pleased when he (as well as lots of other side characters such as Daniela) ended up being genuinely good people.

Fezan

Liked the show some what. It was not fantastic but it was a good watch. Concept was very good but implementation was some what honky. Also its the first time i am thinking show could have used a little bit less sex. Its like they just wanted to show sex for the sake of it.

Some episodes were very boring . 7 or 8 episodes would have been perfect for it .

Nicktals

Banned
Just binged in two days, liked it a lot. I want to echo on the positivity...the danger always felt very real, and still does, but most of the cliches I expected to happen didn't.

And yeah, how many episodes into season 2 before will and the DJ hook up/have a baby?

Also, did we learn anything about the little girl will could sense as a child, who went missing?

Will for sure check out season two...Tina is incredibly gorgeous, and might be my favorite..although Wolfgang is up there too!

Ashtrax

My wife and I just finished this series the other night and thought it was fantastic. I would also like to agree on the positivity in the show, and how each of the characters were there for each other at the most important of personal reflections and danger. It was that level of intimacy in their shared emotions and how one sense8 would perceive a situation so vastly different to the other which I think carried the show.

I would say it's also one of those shows that is just full of atmosphere and it can hit the right notes despite the fairly inconsistent writing. The fact that the show also spans multiple countries is refreshing and great for focusing on cultural differences around the world (which I believe was the intention of the Wachowskis rather than to focus on the Sci-Fi of it?)

Hopefully we will get a season 2!

Korey

The concept is really good and interesting, but I feel like the execution was a little subpar. Could have used more time in the oven to come up with more interesting events and interactions.

It got really exciting mid-season when you finally GOT IT and it was getting good with the action and switching...and then it kind of fell off towards the last few episodes.

In any case the characters are all great and you care about all of them. The diversity of the locations, cultures, situations, and cast make it nice to watch even when it's boring.

I'll be watching Season 2 but I hope they flesh out their ideas a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom