• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgwhiteus

Just finished the first season. Agree with other posters that the first 3 or 4 episodes are a slow burn with introducing the characters and setting up the plot, but the later episodes really pick up. Thought the final episodes were fantastic, and looking forward to another season.

The pacing / writing could be a bit uneven - there were some episodes where I thought they could have trimmed 15-20 minutes (I remember one which had shots of Sun and Will sitting at their desks, thinking, with papers in front of them... for like 5 minutes), though I guess I attribute that to different writers / directors for the episodes.

I thought all the actors did a great job, not really a weak performance in the bunch, and I give the show props for making me interested in the stories of a really diverse set of characters. And for creating great secondary characters too - loved characters like Hernando, Daniela, Fela, Felix, etc.

The overarching conspiracy / big bad plot line is okay, but honestly I'd be be satisfied if the show just continued exploring the individual characters' lives and conflicts and how the group shares their experiences and supports one another.

Shiggy

After watching episode 9 and 10 I'm starting to get bored. Too much relationship stuff, and the final (orchestra) scene in episode 10 was just boring. I've started to skip parts now, which usually is a bard sign.

MaKTaiL

One of the best moments from the finale:

Will: Do I know you?
Lito: We had sex together.
Will: Uh... hmm..... uh...
Lito: It was good.
Will: Well... uh....

3phemeral

After watching episode 9 and 10 I'm starting to get bored. Too much relationship stuff, and the final (orchestra) scene in episode 10 was just boring. I've started to skip parts now, which usually is a bard sign.

The first time I watched that section, I honestly did get bored and started cleaning up the living room, doing dishes, etc. I gave it another shot again and it's a beautiful piano-driven song. The juxtapositioning each character experiencing their own
birth along with the very graphic depiction of said experience took me by surprise but: I thought it was a good moment to show how one sensate's recalling of her own birth became a shared experience; that their connection is so tightly intermingled that Riley was able to force the other sensates to recall their own. Then of course climaxed by it all culminating into her own experience giving birth inside a toppled-over car with her dead husband during a harsh Icelandic winter.

Platy

I could careless about Lana Wachowki's I mean Nomi character

She is only Lana if you consider being trans the only definition of her.

She is not a BDSM fan ... Also if you consider that she is a hacker that at the beginning of the story gets caught by the evil peoples and suddenly knows "kung fu" you should change the name of that strike to Neo xD

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, just finished it. I loved it. Yes, it can be messy, over the top and the dialogue bad but I love it despite all of that. I actually want to watch it again very soon.

Series spoilers:

I love all the senseates, even Riley who many don't seem to like very much. I think she's worked through what happened to her and will be better next season.

I love Wolfgang and Kala's interactions. LOVE.

I thought Lito and Hernando's relationship was fantastic as was Nomi and Amanita's. How great was it that Nomi shared with Amanita what was happening to her? None of this hiding it to protect Amanita (which many shows would have done). They actually discussed everything and it made them a stronger team.

I really liked how they all started to come together in the later episodes. I was a bit surprised (in a good way) when it was Wolfgang that came to help Lito and not Sun. Up until that point it was always Sun who came to fight. I really hope they tap into some of their other talents. They haven't even used Wolfgang's skills as a thief/safe cracker yet and I'm sure Sun can do more than just kick ass.

Of all the crazy scenes, I do think the birth scenes at the orchestra was a bit much.

I'm looking forward to next season and how they are going to hide from Whispers.

jgwhiteus

Okay, just finished it. I loved it. Yes, it can be messy, over the top and the dialogue bad but I love it despite all of that. I actually want to watch it again very soon.

Series spoilers:

I love all the senseates, even Riley who many don't seem to like very much. I think she's worked through what happened to her and will be better next season.

I liked all the Sensates too; each of the actors / characters had their own strengths, though some plot lines were stronger than others.

I think Kala's plot probably had the least tension in it, since it seems like the solution for her is to just tell Rajan her true feelings, and since Rajan is presented as being so perfect it seems a bit disrespectful and unsympathetic for her to continue with the wedding, especially as it becomes clear she's developing feelings for someone else. If there were negative consequences to canceling the wedding (e.g. her family's economic circumstances, her job) her indecision would be more understandable, but it seems the only bad result of her canceling it would be hurting Rajan's feelings, and she doesn't seem too invested in his feelings in the first place. The character was great, though, and I like the chemistry and dynamics between her and Wolfgang.

Lito's arc could have been very trope-ish - the famous actor who's secretly closeted - but the show mixed up the dynamics with Daniela, and did a good job in presenting Hernando as a fully-formed character who's smart and passionate and funny rather than just "the boyfriend". I thought the actors for Lito, Daniela and Hernando were all great (and ridiculously beautiful), and it made me interested in what else they've done.

I thought Doona Bae was just okay in Cloud Atlas, but this show really made me appreciate her and how much she can convey with her eyes and facial expressions. I pretty much always looked forward to her scenes and seeing her kick some butt (especially loved seeing her go to town on her brother). And it was good that her character wasn't too one-note and you also got to see her resentment and anger and sorrow.

I liked Riley generally but think the last few episodes focused a bit too much on her being passive / a tragic figure / a victim to be saved rather than a full personality. I liked the earlier scene of her talking with Sun because it showed her commiserating and supporting someone else. And on that note, I think it would've been cool if they'd actually shown Riley making the decision to live and acting to save Will and the others rather than skipping ahead to the boat, but that's a minor quibble.

Episode 11 that machete
didn't the guy told Capheus that blade is not sharp 3 minutes later machete cuts off hand like hattori sword. Bus got riddled by bullets not a single shot on them
That Van Damme kick lol
Episode 12
Lito and Gorski
meeting. We've met. We had sex that awkward moment lol
That was a good finale with Sigur Ros
Poor Sun lol

Beginning of the season I was skeptical about the show, but damn it did grow on me.

One of the best moments from the finale:

Will: Do I know you?
Lito: We had sex together.
Will: Uh... hmm..... uh...
Lito: It was good.
Will: Well... uh....

I get that in the moment they share each other's sexual proclivities but afterwards... that has to be beyond awkward.

Shiggy

Done with all episodes now, not really feeling it. The initial setting and concept sounds like something really great. It's just what they've done with it is rather disappointing. There's not a lot about the Jonas part, nor has any other part been really resolved. Instead there have been lots of sex scenes, kissing scenes, and some other scenes which seemed like fillers. Perhaps they should've gone with 30 minutes instead.

If there'll be a second season, I'll skip that.

hoos30

The "hook" doesn't appear until the very end of episode 3. That is a lot to ask of an audience. Liking it so far.

sun-drop

Just finished the season, and sign me up for more. Honestly, I've never seen as much vage in a TV before, but despite that, it kinda gave the show a edginess to it...and I'll even give the emotional parts a pass...almost lost me but hey I think justified by them trying to convey how intense this must all be with seven other people in yr head...

Channels the matrix a fair bit, instead of downloading some combat package into yr brain, you swap in someone else's.....cool refinement... Very.

I'm in.

So I haven't watched this show yet, but I was just wondering if the show's name is supposed to sound like sensei? Cause that's how I read it in my head.

Ricker

Just watched 2 episodes so far...still average to me,some of the 8 bother me,I am not crazy about the Indian girl story so far and that long disco dancing scene sure didnt help matters lol...but I will keep watching,heard it gets really good around episode 4...

So I haven't watched this show yet, but I was just wondering if the show's name is supposed to sound like sensei? Cause that's how I read it in my head.
I read it as Sense-Eight. It's very much a play on words because the characters
are referred to as "sensates"...,and it just so happens that there are eight of them.
Kinda clever name IMO.

Edit: and beaten

Just watched 2 episodes so far...still average to me,some of the 8 bother me,I am not crazy about the Indian girl story so far and that long disco dancing scene sure didnt help matters lol...but I will keep watching,heard it gets really good around episode 4...

Dude, the Bollywood was awesome. That's the point where I was pretty much sold.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Bollywood scene was great. And probably one of the lesser crazy scenes. I think you have to embrace some of the crazy in this show.

Kala has some of my favourite interactions with one of the other sense8s.

tomtom94

Just finished it. It could be great at times and slow at others. In a weird way, I think it's the best suited to Netflix that I've seen thus far. They managed to get the episodes to end on just the right note that I wanted to keep watching.

The individual character plotlines were mostly pretty flat for a long time, which is why I understand the complaints about wanting them to just get on with the sensate stuff - it certainly works a lot better.

All the music-driven stuff was a bit much, even for me. I get that it's an auteur series but still, fifteen minutes of swelling orchestral music over
people having sex or being born
isn't really making much of a statement. (even if it was worth it in the latter case for the ending)

I suspect it will get a second season, but I don't think it will be twelve episodes next time. I can't help but feel a lot of the complaints about excess filler were due to it being planned for ten episodes and extended to twelve.

That said, given they've planned it out for five season AND they have JMS involved (and it's stupidly expensive)... would not surprise me in the least if it does end up not getting renewed. Which for me would be a massive shame.

Paganmoon

I might have a strange gripe, Riley uses Urbanears headphones... I've had those, they ABSOLUTALEY SUCK. They make your ears hurt if you wear them for more than 30 minutes. No DJ would ever use such shitty headphones. Wachowski's are hacks!

Caught all episodes in the past few days, and I have to say pleasantly surprised. It's got it's issues, but overall, it's worth a watch. Though, the it started to fall apart a bit towards the end.

Full season spoilers:
Will is going to have to be in a perpetual state of stoned or something for Season 2 to work out. It was sort of what was alluded with Angelica right? The drugs Will found in the abandoned building were Angelica's so she wouldn't be found by Whispers right?

So about their abilities, and how they'll be able to help eachother
Lito: does the lying/deceiving
Will: does cop stuff ("That guy has a gun, this guy wears a vest" and helps with the shooting etc.)
Nomi: Hacks the world (Btw, a nod to Noomi Rapace, for Millenium?)
Sun: Kicks some martial art ass (Btw, did they have to name her Sun, sort of cliché now after Lost it feels like)
Capheus: Can drive like no other?
Woflgang: does criminal stuff (Will help with shooting people Will isn't comfortable with shooting?)
Kala: does medicine stuff, (and can make bombs out of kitchen supplies?)
Riley: ... wtf does Riley bring to the cluster? Throw some kick ass parties?

Mifune

Mehmber
I have a different take on Riley.

Full season spoilers:
Riley is the cluster's leader. She's the mother figure. She is the strongest telepath, the one who strengthens the bonds between the other seven.

Throughout the season, she has the most contact with the others and their worlds. It will take a rewatch to find evidence of her conduit abilities, but I believe that's what the Ws and JMS are going for. Can't be a coincidence that she's the only one who has given birth. They're trying to set her up as the "strongest" member of the cluster.

Dice//

Banned

Bleah, looks like we are getting a romance between
Iceland girl and Will.
Boooooring.

I'm heterosexual
besides the 15 minutes I wasn't in college one time (so I doubt that counts)...anyways
.... But I found every relationship outside of Riley and Will about 1,000 times more interesting. Particularly because I think it was set up way worse. It doesn't have the "love at first site" appeal that Kala and Wolfgang have, it doesn't have the build-up and development like Lito and Herman, and it doesn't have the chemistry that Amanita and Nomi have. It just kind of...happens. And it sucks because Will seems 'alright' but not terribly into it beyond 'the script says it does', and Riley still seems pretty tormented by her past to feel like she'd be completely committed to a new relationship.

*shrug*

Anyways, a lot of thoughts on this page are my own. It's messy but it's too cool to dislike.

So what does each person contribute though?

Will = Random "cop skills"
Wolfgang = Random "criminal skills"
Capheus = Driver
Sun = Kickboxer
Nomi = Hacker
Kala = Killer Chemist?!
Riley = ??? Emotional? Super sensing?
Lito = ....
xJ6ZXo1.gif

Dany

Banned
It was kinda hammy how they all have one or two things that defines them. But it worked for me. Riley kinda doesn't have a role, and the focus onto her character in the latter half of the season appeared out of nowhere.

There were hints of larger conspiracies like the pharmaceutical company that sun and kala are apart of, so I look forward to them exploring that further.

if a sensate sees another sensate, they are tied to them along with everyone else in their cluster? I really wonder what Whispers goal is, abusing performing surgeries on them, to kill them?

Dice//

Banned
It was kinda hammy how they all have one or two things that defines them. But it worked for me. Riley kinda doesn't have a role, and the focus onto her character in the latter half of the season appeared out of nowhere.

There were hints of larger conspiracies like the pharmaceutical company that sun and kala are apart of, so I look forward to them exploring that further.

if a sensate sees another sensate, they are tied to them along with everyone else in their cluster? I really wonder what Whispers goal is, abusing performing surgeries on them, to kill them?

I'd love to see a sort of "Us VS Them" cluster-against-cluster kind of thing.

And yeah the focus of this season was pretty bad... I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt due to the concept already tying people from 8 different parts of the world together. A good (not great) story but killer idea that I hope gets narrowed down by next season.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm heterosexual
besides the 15 minutes I wasn't in college one time (so I doubt that counts)...anyways
.... But I found every relationship outside of Riley and Will about 1,000 times more interesting. Particularly because I think it was set up way worse. It doesn't have the "love at first site" appeal that Kala and Wolfgang have, it doesn't have the build-up and development like Lito and Herman, and it doesn't have the chemistry that Amanita and Nomi have. It just kind of...happens. And it sucks because Will seems 'alright' but not terribly into it beyond 'the script says it does', and Riley still seems pretty tormented by her past to feel like she'd be completely committed to a new relationship.

*shrug*

Anyways, a lot of thoughts on this page are my own. It's messy but it's too cool to dislike.

Capheus = Driver
Sun = Kickboxer
Nomi = Hacker
Kala = Killer Chemist?!
Lito = ....
xJ6ZXo1.gif

I like Riley and Will together but I don't love them like Wolfgang and Kala. To be honest, I don't care if they are together or not. While I love all the sensates, I think that Riley and Will are my least favourite.

Sun also has a masters in economics. I'm sure they can work that in. I want them to expand on their skills. Like I said in an earlier post ep 10
I like how it was Wolfgang that helped Lito, not Sun.
. I have no idea what Riley will contribute...music??

Just finished it. It has its problems but I did end up really enjoying it. Lol at Wolfgang with the
rocket launcher
in episode 9. I hope for more of that absurdity in season 2 if there is one.

Episode 8 -
Noomi: "Hey I know that guy, he helped me get out of the hospital!" Uuuummm yeah, you just had a massive orgy with him too.

Korey

Watched the first episode.

Does it get better? So far I'm like
"We get it. They're connected." There's nothing else going on other than the fact that they're connected for some reason. How many times do they have to show the various permutations of the characters being connected?

Just wanna know if it gets better.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
By the fourth episode, if you aren't feeling it, then the show isn't for you. The show really starts to its stride episode 3/4. All comes together towards the end.

squidyj

I'm heterosexual

*shrug*

Capheus = Driver
Sun = Kickboxer
Nomi = Hacker
Kala = Killer Chemist?!
Lito = ....
xJ6ZXo1.gif

nobody in the whole show is as great as Herman. he's the best.

Some of the shots in this show are great, the action is always fun the dialogue is always bad and I think most of the characters are just.... dumb (except Herman)...

.....and where in the fuck did that dude get a rocket launcher?

near

Gold Member
So I just managed to finish the season, overall I quite enjoyed it. It didn't become what I was essentially hoping for like most other Wachowskis projects, but I very much appreciate the concept and the direction the series wants to head in. The strongest aspect of the season is its character development, the way all the characters are introduced as a cluster was quite impressive since it's not easy to pull off considering the scope of the script. It at times felt like a nod to Lost (anything JJ Abrams inspired is a thumbs up to me) and having Jonas' character played Naveen Andrews brought back some nostalgia, but somewhere down the line it lost that essence of mystery. Having said that, the dialogue at times was nonsensical and sort of out of place, but I still feel it finds its way in the end. Visually, the cinematography was beautiful, and the attempt at capturing the moments the characters had in there own respective arcs really evokes the emotions required to feel the sensates circumstances.

I have two main complaints, the first is Hernando/Lito arc and the second was the season finale.
While I fully appreciate Hernando and Litos story, it was so deattached from body of the series for the most part. Lito began to feel like he was pretty much out of the cluster, minus the orgy scene. I loved Lito at the start of the season, I think he's character is very likable, but just didn't like how long it took for him to have relevance to the series. In a way I understand that he needed to go through certain emotions and feelings to become a relevant sensate, but I feel it could have been approached so much better.

Which brings me to my next point, I didn't like the way the season ended for multiple reasons.
The boat sailing off with all sensates aboard and Will being there hero was a bit annoying. Riley could have been a more relevant character and I feel she adds nothing to the cluster except complacency in the script. Her story arc began so well and I thought there was going to be so much more to her character but it never truly showed. I felt like the ending should have had more mystery surrounding it, which would parallel the mystery behind there abilities and the manner in which they communicate with each other but I didnt feel that, and it wasn't a satisfying finale. It did not make me crave season 2. Which leaves my to doubt the potential of season 2.

The sex was also too much for the most part of the series, in fact way too much. I didn't like how that was becoming a focal point in establishing the cluster connections. And it just didn't really make sense why
certain sensates fell in love with each other whiles others where left out, ie. Capheus and Sun. If the sensates experience love in its truest form, why didn't they all have the affection for one another? Why didn't Will choose Sun or Lito fall in love with Nomi?
So I feel there were some strong inconsistencies with the direction of the story in the end. Overall like I said I quite enjoyed it, but not exactly what I was hoping for. I'm looking forward to how they develop season 2 and if it picks up pace I will fully support this show again, but mostly because I loved most of the characters.

Finished it a couple of nights ago. I really enjoyed it, even the boring bits. I found myself thinking about parts like the orchestra scene afterwards, and the way I reacted to it. It's provocative, complex in its character development, original in its execution. There are few if any special effects, but you can see where every dollar went into the production; there is an authenticity about it that's very refreshing. My read on the series so far is that the first season is about birth; which would have to be followed by life and death.

I hope they get a chance to continue the series - I'll definitely be watching.

I finished it last night. Loved it. It's easily my favorite Wachowski project since The Matrix. I really felt for every character - it kind of reminds me of Lost in that way.

Taruranto

"It's easy to kill when you feel nothing"

1 episode later Sun and Van Damme slaugh dozen of people.

Granted, it was self-defense, but still :p

Interested kinda died a bit with ep 10, that long ass
birth sequence.

Carbonox

Just finished this. After the first couple of episodes I thought it was a bit naff but I have to say it really improves and becomes great fun. The scenes where they all work together are the best and there are some really nice and touching scenes. Bit too OTT with the sex scenes but otherwise I really enjoyed it. There's something very different and unique about this show that I can't quite put my finger on and I'm definitely in it for the long haul now. It's rare for a show to have a big primary cast where I like each and every one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom