• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-Det

Finished up the show last night, as well, It took some time for me to get into it, but once they did the
Nomi escape
with switching around and using different skills it clicked. It is a beautifully shot show, with a lot of heart. There is a lot of ridiculous moments and dialogue, and a number of scenes that could have been edited down to keep things moving, but overall it worked. I like that, for the most part, they put the characters ahead of the overarching plot, and that they are as well done as they are. Some of the best scenes were with the sensates just talking and sharing their experiences (the
museum scene, the karaoke
).

The show has its share of issues, but it was definitely worth the watch. I'm down for Season 2.

Santiako

"It's easy to kill when you feel nothing"

1 episode later Sun and Van Damme slaugh dozen of people.

Granted, it was self-defense, but still :p

Interested kinda died a bit with ep 10, that long ass
birth sequence.

By the last episode, everyone is killing fools. Even Kala is making bombs!

oneils

Takes 7 bloody episodes before the plot takes any baby steps forward.

Not impressed so far, it's incredibly dry.

I'm having a hard time watching. The show takes its sweet time introducing the characters to the audience. 3 episodes in and I feel like the story has hardly moved. Maybe it should be sens3 or something.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Been avoiding this thread but finally finished watching Season 1. Some really great concepts here and occasionally executed flawlessly. Pacing and focus was an issue as was the gratuitous use of sex and childbirth. We get it already.

Overall very happy with the show and will definitely look forward to Season 2.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
i found myself just clicking to 2:05 whenever i started a new episode.

Me too. The opening credits are so bland
hot ice cream bears notwithstanding
. I like the concept but it definitely could have been executed better (perhaps by upping the pace to match the opening credits of Fox's 'Touch').

This show had so much heart. For some reason, despite its flaws, it really affected and touched me at times. I thought it was amazing. Hoping for Season 2 and positive buzz.

oneils

I think I figured out the trick to watching this show. Get drunk or high.

Watching episode 6 now (demons) and these Mexican dudes are hawt.

anaron

just finished

I really, really loved it. these characters and the premise make for such an energetic and affecting experience

Dice//

Banned
i found myself just clicking to 2:05 whenever i started a new episode.

THe song is particularly uninspiring, like a rejected/unused piece for the musical score. And the visuals I'm like 90% sure that at least 80% of the shots were just candid shots during filming. They could have done better; most shows do with a lot less unique concepts.

Kadayi

Banned
Tried to get into this but endless camera circling actor location swapping thing got pretty tedious after a while. I might return to it (Netflix isn't going anywhere) but it didn't grip me.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I finished this the other night. I enjoyed the first episode, but I just felt lost in the plot, but decided to keep going. I'm glad I did! The ending of episode 4 really sealed the deal for me. I enjoyed every character, but I love Lito and Herrando, I don't blame Danielle for videotaping that, I would have.

I don't get the Nomi hate, I actually liked her story and felt for character. Also, do the Wachowskis have a birthing fetish because WOW at all those birth scenes with the baby's head popping out.

Dice//

Banned
I finished this the other night. I enjoyed the first episode, but I just felt lost in the plot, but decided to keep going. I'm glad I did! The ending of episode 4 really sealed the deal for me. I enjoyed every character, but I love Lito and Herrando, I don't blame Danielle for videotaping that, I would have.

I don't get the Nomi hate, I actually liked her story and felt for character. Also, do the Wachowskis have a birthing fetish because WOW at all those birth scenes with the baby's head popping out.

I like Nomi a lot and found her relationship very sweet as Amanita is the perfect girlfriend; it did drive me nuts that they're "love" is turned on and up at a constant and unflinching 11 and that got a bit eye-rolling. I was really happy they found a transgender actress to play her, it adds a small air of legitimacy to her character I think. One that note, is the actor who plays Lito actually gay or just that damn good an actor? Because holy crap I was sold on him and Hermando enjoying themselves a little. x)

I thought the birth bit was a bit indulgent, I'd probably be grossed out seeing my own. I did like how they reflected the characters quite well and I liked that it ends
with Riley's birth of her daughter, so I sort of gave it a "pass" for the reason.

Platy

One that note, is the actor who plays Lito actually gay or just that damn good an actor? Because holy crap I was sold on him and Hermando enjoying themselves a little. x)

He is married to the actress that plays Bandera's Daughter on "The Skin I live In"

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The show definitely has some problems but overall I really enjoyed it. Lito and Sun were my favorite characters, while Will and Riley were my least favorite. I'm very much looking forward to season two.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

The birth scenes were the only ones that I thought were a bit much. I enjoyed the ridiculousness of the other ones.

Grazzt

Finished this 2 days ago. I'm surprised I enjoyed this show. The first few episodes had some pace issue but it got better.
I love all eight of them. But my favorite are Lito, Nomi and Wolfgang.
Can't wait for season 2. I hope Sun can get a badass prison break scene.

Dice//

Banned
He is married to the actress that plays Bandera's Daughter on "The Skin I live In"

So it's true...Amazing.
2yIcCWm.gif

Carbonox

Sensational. Lito was fucking gold in this show. One of my favs.

Actually it's tough to pinpoint an absolute fav. Maybe Sun cos of her combat capabilities but then maybe Wolfgang cos he's a brute force....

I DO NOT KNOW. Best to just say it was a really strong and appealing cast in all their various ways.

Kurdel

Banned
Rewatching the last two episodes, so fucking good.

Only thing that bugs me is the Korean brother with an american accent. If you are supossed to be speaking another language and it magically comes out as english for the viewer, I need you to have a local accent.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Sensational. Lito was fucking gold in this show. One of my favs.

Actually it's tough to pinpoint an absolute fav. Maybe Sun cos of her combat capabilities but then maybe Wolfgang cos he's a brute force....

I DO NOT KNOW. Best to just say it was a really strong and appealing cast in all their various ways.

I feel the same way. I love them all (though Riley is my least fave right now). And all the supporting characters are really strong too. Lito, Amanita, Jela.

Lorcain

Once they started connecting with each other and sharing their skills I was 100% onboard. I just finished watching so I'm trying not to gush, but I really liked the cast. The actor who played Lito was brilliant and the standout. They were all charismatic and interesting to me though.

When they started all working together it felt like a heist movie. The way they seamlessly transition between characters was well done.

I like the theme of art and life in the show. There were some beautifully shot scenes that I found really moving. I like that they are trying to do something different...even if it doesn't always work well (extended birth scene).

I hope they give us another season. I want to find out how they are going to get Whispers out of Will's head. That would suck to have to be sedated all the time.

The concept was really interesting and I really liked the actors/actresses specifically Lito, Wolfgang and the cop . That's all I can really say that was positive.

3/4 of the whole first season was a drag I was just waiting to see them start using their powers and helping each other but by the time that happened the season was over.

george_us

Absolutely loved this. It does start a little slow but I actually appreciated the slow start since it gave me time to bond with the characters. I can't wait for Season 2.

Gaz_RB

Some parts of this show are mind blowingingly stupid. But damnit I love the characters so much it doesn't even matter. Can't wait for season 2

Finished the entire season today after a 2 day binge. What a show. What an amazing show.

The ending of Wolfgang's arc seemed to imply he endured both physical and sexual abuse from his father. Anyone else pick up on that?

just finished episode 7.

i don't know if i'll continue or not. not only is it so fucking slow, but characters talking to each other are easily the worst parts. very skippable.

i've watched 7 hours worth of content and the story hasn't moved for more than an inch.

if it weren't for bae doona i wouldn't have continued watching it. now, i am not even sure if i'll finish it.

so slow, everything hapoening doesn't even have any significance to the story whatsoever. just freaking get on with it already. how many more kissing, listening on the headphones, etc. do i have to sit through?

Zyzyxxz

just finished episode 7.

i don't know if i'll continue or not. not only is it so fucking slow, but characters talking to each other are easily the worst parts. very skippable.

i've watched 7 hours worth of content and the story hasn't moved for more than an inch.

if it weren't for bae doona i wouldn't have continued watching it. now, i am not even sure if i'll finish it.

so slow, everything hapoening doesn't even have any significance to the story whatsoever. just freaking get on with it already. how many more kissing, listening on the headphones, etc. do i have to sit through?

You're just about to get to the best part. But then again if you don't like the conversations the characters have with each other then the show probably isnt for you because I think thats some of the shows strongpoints.

You're just about to get to the best part. But then again if you don't like the conversations the characters have with each other then the show probably isnt for you because I think thats some of the shows strongpoints.

it is just repetitive and tiring. "oh i can sympathize with you.." basically every conversation they have had.

it's as annoying as nomi and her girlfriend kissing and telling each other how lucky they are. for like majority of their screentime and dialogue. i got it the first time, don't they have any other things to talk about besides telling one another how much they love the other? "before i met you, i had nothing" yada yada. best stories so far are from the nairobi dude and sun. the london girl's story is aimlessly listening to music. i don't really see lito's story as anything significant so far. i feel like the only ones advancing the overarching plot is the police dude. nomi as well, but then again it is plagued with romance way more than the actual plot. wolfgang and the indian girl's sub-story came out of nowhere. i thought the indian girl was very sensible (oh, she's not trying to succumb to pressure because she actually has a brain) then boom
attracted to wolfgang after seeing his junk.

it is just repetitive and tiring. "oh i can sympathize with you.." basically every conversation they have had.

it's as annoying as nomi and her girlfriend kissing and telling each other how lucky they are. for like majority of their screentime and dialogue. i got it the first time, don't they have any other things to talk about besides telling one another how much they love the other? "before i met you, i had nothing" yada yada. best stories so far are from the nairobi dude and sun. the london girl's story is aimlessly listening to music. i don't really see lito's story as anything significant so far. i feel like the only ones advancing the overarching plot is the police dude. nomi as well, but then again it is plagued with romance way more than the actual plot. wolfgang and the indian girl's sub-story came out of nowhere. i thought the indian girl was very sensible (oh, she's not trying to succumb to pressure because she actually has a brain) then boom
attracted to wolfgang after seeing his junk.

Sounds like it's not for you, which is understandable, the show is DEFINITELY not for everyone and it does have very silly moments.

I would say stick with it, of course. Episode 9, I thought was very moving. And the final 2 episodes are pretty solid when it comes to action.

It's not a cerebral show by any means. It's an emotional show with lots of sensory overload - colors, music, sex, etc. It's appropriately named. In some ways, you gotta switch your brain off when watching this show.

Raistlin

I certainly hope there's a 2nd season. While the ending made everything seem happy, the reality is Gorski needs to basically stay in a medically induced coma for the remainder of his life. How is that better than death?

One thing I'm a little confused on and wonder if I missed? The older sensate Riley had a connection to stated Jonas was the bad guy, and basically a hunter working for Whispers. Did they ever really go down the path of answering that? Clearly Jonas was being abused at the end, so certainly he wasn't working for Whispers' side ... or at least he ended up betraying him.

So was the other sensate simply wrong? Actually working for Whispers and spreading lies? Correct, but Jonas switched sides? I'm just wondering if I missed a part that answered this, or is that something that will either just get dropped or possibly continued in a potential season 2?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
just finished episode 7.

It's a show about the characters with some action scenes. It's not an action show with some scenes about the characters.

Sounds like it's not for you, which is understandable, the show is DEFINITELY not for everyone and it does have very silly moments.

I would say stick with it, of course. Episode 9, I thought was very moving. And the final 2 episodes are pretty solid when it comes to action.

It's not a cerebral show by any means. It's an emotional show with lots of sensory overload - colors, music, sex, etc. It's appropriately named. In some ways, you gotta switch your brain off when watching this show.

i guess i'll stick with it. yeah, i was hoping it was more intelligent than it is but so far it is all about being vague and philosophical and all that shit. there's just so many things that they can chop off and not affect anything.

It's a show about the characters with some action scenes. It's not an action show with some scenes about the characters.

as i've said, it isn't like we don't get the point. i feel like they've already shown one side of the character and then they'll show it again and again and again to say, "oh, this character is wounded, is feeling like this right now, etc." it also doesn't help that the overarching plot moves in such a snail's pace. it is about the characters, doesn't mean it's about them kissing and eating and having sex and whatnot. they could've easily cut down a lot and would still keep the essence of the characters intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom