• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 S2 |OT| Tremendous Sea of Love - May 5 on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after two seasons I think I can safely rank the Angelica cluster in order of how I favor them and their slice of the story.

1. Lito
2. Sun
3. Wolfgang
4. Kala
5. Will
6. Capheus (love the new Caph!)
7. Nomi
8. Riley

Belfast

Oh man. I don't know how important the character becomes yet but that (Episode 5) cameo:
Sylvester McCoy! They even gave him an silly umbrella to hold (sands question mark handle).

Shearie

I've only watched the first episode of season 1 and didn't like it and never watched the rest. I keep hearing how much season 2 is improved and want to give the new season a shot. I keep hearing that the 2 hour special episode isn't as good as season 2 proper, but do you guys think it's essential viewing before starting the season or should I just skip it?

You're going to have a hell of a time with season 2 unless you watch season 1 as well. The show drops you into a bunch of established plot points and character relationships and expects that you've seen all the context. And yes, the Christmas special is required viewing.

Yeah I think S1 and the special are pretty mandatory viewing if you want to make the most of it.

Oh man! Guess I'll try to get back into season 1...

Ok, I just rewatched the first episode again and maybe the first time I watched it, it wasn't the type of show I wanted to watch at the time because this time I enjoyed it. I'm happy I have another show to binge watch. :)

Mifune

Mehmber
Ok, I just rewatched the first episode again and maybe the first time I watched it, it wasn't the type of show I wanted to watch at the time because this time I enjoyed it. I'm happy I have another show to binge watch. :)

It's a strange show with an oddball structure that takes a bit of time to acclimate to. It's something that's best left to wash over you and not have you think about it too much, especially in the early going. Glad you enjoyed it this time!

damn i just binged the whole season in one sitting. wew.
they better get renewed for s3! and it better not take 3 years cause that cliffhanger. my heart! be still

platakul

Banned
what do you all think about the focus on individual plot arcs this season compared to last? I feel like there's nothing as strong as Capheus or Max's stories from last season. In fact Capheus doesn't have much to do. Kala seems to have more going on, and Lito still has a personal arc.

what do you all think about the focus on individual plot arcs this season compared to last? I feel like there's nothing as strong as Capheus or Max's stories from last season. In fact Capheus doesn't have much to do. Kala seems to have more going on, and Lito still has a personal arc.
Hmm. I am not sure what is or isn't a spoiler in this post so just consider it a general end of season reflection:

Caph doesn't have much to do? This is the first time his story has felt important. I can barely recall what he did of note in S1. But now, of everyone in the cluster, his life is starting to have significant impact on a lot of people. Both the newfound political nature of his storyline and his new love interest has made him a great deal more interesting and compelling a character. I love S2 Caph.

Riley is the only one of the 8 who kind of bores me. She has no real connection with anyone in her life save her dad, who we only see once, and her role in the show completely revolves around being the love interest of Will. The other children of Angelica all have significant relationships outside the cluster that help define who they are. Riley is just... there.

If they had to kill one of the 8, she'd be the easiest to sever.

DJKhaled

Really really great, I loved season 1 but this was probably better. I have to say I am going to be angry as fuck if they don't renew it (though it being Netflix I'd say they will) or if we have to wait as long as we waited for season 2. After that ending I need more right now. So good.

oh and fuck Sayid, I didn't like him in lost and I don't like him now.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
End of season spoiler.

I feel like I'm the only one here who felt Lito was one of the most boring parts of the show this season. The only time he was interesting this season was when he was paired with Sun.

valeo

Really really great, I loved season 1 but this was probably better. I have to say I am going to be angry as fuck if they don't renew it (though it being Netflix I'd say they will) or if we have to wait as long as we waited for season 2. After that ending I need more right now. So good.

I feel like this show must be expensive as hell to make?

sammex

It shoots on location in 4 different countries. Apparently netflix renewed season 2 a few months after season 1 but it's taken them that long to edit everything. I'm guessing it might be another 2 years before we get season 3 but I'm pretty sure it's not overly expensive.

Alienfan

It shoots on location in 4 different countries. Apparently netflix renewed season 2 a few months after season 1 but it's taken them that long to edit everything. I'm guessing it might be another 2 years before we get season 3 but I'm pretty sure it's not overly expensive.

There was a lot of talk when season one was coming out that it was one of the most expensive TV shows ever made. There's a quote from Netflix executive that said:

“From a budget standpoint and a running time, it’s every bit as big, if not bigger, than their feature films,”

Considering the Wachowskis last films cost 170 million and 100 million, I think the show is pretty costly. Might explain why it took Netflix a lot longer than usual to renew it, but it seems to be really popular and Netflix hardly ever cancel a show, so hopefully we get a season 3!

duckroll

Just finished episode 6. I'm so fucking in love with this show. It's everything season 1 was good at, improved upon, expanded upon, and just taken beyond my imagination. Shooting on location and having big events really makes the show feel so lavish and the emotional impact is really satisfying. Every single episode has been great so far, but episode 6 really takes it to a whole other level in terms of pacing. There were at least 3 events they could have ended the episode on, instead it just kept expanding the expectations of what Sense8 could be about. The pride parade, the big reveal about BPO, the assassin scene, the forest scene at the end. It was all so good, but the one that FUCKING TAKES THE GODDAMN CAKE has to be
the sensate network scene where you see the connections being made over and over all over the world as the main theme plays. It's a great homage to the opening credits of the series, and the most satisfying scene so far. Felt so fucking good to see it play out.

sammex

There was a lot of talk when season one was coming out that it was one of the most expensive TV shows ever made. There's a quote from Netflix executive that said:

“From a budget standpoint and a running time, it’s every bit as big, if not bigger, than their feature films,”

Considering the Wachowskis last films cost 170 million and 100 million, I think the show is pretty costly. Might explain why it took Netflix a lot longer than usual to renew it, but it seems to be really popular and Netflix hardly ever cancel a show, so hopefully we get a season 3!

Wow. I would have thought that the fact that it's set in modern day it wouldn't have massive costs like Marco Polo or The Crown or other netflix period dramas do. Must be expensive flying around the world.

Razmos

Just finished episode 6. I'm so fucking in love with this show. It's everything season 1 was good at, improved upon, expanded upon, and just taken beyond my imagination. Shooting on location and having big events really makes the show feel so lavish and the emotional impact is really satisfying. Every single episode has been great so far, but episode 6 really takes it to a whole other level in terms of pacing. There were at least 3 events they could have ended the episode on, instead it just kept expanding the expectations of what Sense8 could be about. The pride parade, the big reveal about BPO, the assassin scene, the forest scene at the end. It was all so good, but the one that FUCKING TAKES THE GODDAMN CAKE has to be
the sensate network scene where you see the connections being made over and over all over the world as the main theme plays. It's a great homage to the opening credits of the series, and the most satisfying scene so far. Felt so fucking good to see it play out.
Yess, I was pretty much mouth agape during that scene. So cool

Episode 3

Holy shit that
prison hanging
scene was intense.
I swear every time there is a scene in a movie or TV show where a character can't breathe, I feel like I get short of breath. It's weird.
And another holy shit at the
museum scene. Fuck that guy.

XAL

This season is fucking GREAT.

It will be a grievous crime if this doesn't get a season 3.

Seriously super pumped to see where this series is going.

I'm zeroing in on why I think I adore this show so much. I think one of the big reasons is that, at its core, it's a story about camaraderie, love and how essentially social we are as humans. The connections the 8 have to each other and especially their relationships with those outside the cluster is what makes everything click. The scenes with Amanita's amazing parents or seeing how Lito addresses Hernando and Dani as "family" now, it's this stuff that makes Sense8 deeply compelling for me as a viewer.

Conversely, Riley does nothing for me as a character precisely because she has so little presence separate from the cluster in both seasons, and no story that doesn't involve someone in it. I hope this improves in S3.

Holy FUCK that fight in episode 7. Marvel Netflix am CRYING.

Wachowskis > *
I look forward to your Ep8 reactions. :p

Grifter

It was all so good, but the one that FUCKING TAKES THE GODDAMN CAKE has to be

That shit was ACE! Love the idea of
inter-cluster networking and how they play it off as Google thru evolution

A friend told me about this show last week .
So i watch the first ep and was hook so i end up watching all .
I have to say i end up liking the show much more than i thought .
And season 2 was so good as they build off everything from season 1.
Yeah it has some problems but i can look past that .
I just really like the cast and the positive aspect people can have with each other .

tomtom94

Wow. I would have thought that the fact that it's set in modern day it wouldn't have massive costs like Marco Polo or The Crown or other netflix period dramas do. Must be expensive flying around the world.

So, er, fun fact, they shoot everything on location. And I mean EVERYTHING. Apparently the plane stuff in series 1 was shot on the plane they were taking from England to Iceland. They have a whole bunch of simultaneous shoots going on at all of the different locations with a different director for each (the "directed by" credit for any given episode is basically divvied up according to fairness). And apparently the artistic process tends to involve minimal rehearsal and lots of takes.

It adds up. And by god is it worth it.

ty_hot

Watched the first episode of the new season. Awesome start. I need to finish a project still today, hopefully I have time for another one later tonight.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Final episode question:
Lila said that she was surprised at how badly Whispers wanted Wolfgang. But how did Whispers know about Wolfgang? Yes, Lila told him where Wolfgang was but I don't remember Whispers finding out that Wolfgang was a part of Will's cluster. He knew about RIley and Nomi (I think?) but not anyone else. Lila certainly didn't know anything about Wolfgang's cluster. Did I forget something? Or just miss it?

Took me less than a day to finish it. Absolutely loved this season, such an improvement on every front over the first and definitely the best second season of any Netflix original show I've seen.

God I hope that we don't have to wait 2 more years for season 3 (speaking of which no way the 3rd season doesn't​get picked up, right?)

It will be amazing to see
the gang together phisically but also visiting each other basically making 8 super soldiers

duckroll

Hahahahahaha WOW. Episode 8. Lito is by far the most interesting character on the show. His range of emotions and how the other members of the cluster react to him... it's all soooooooo good.

That action set piece at the end was roflmao. Whenever Wolfgang gets into shit in this show, everything is dialed up to 11. I love how the Sense8 concept of Berlin is more like Shadowrun Berlin than real life Berlin. Or something out of John Wick even.

oh and fuck Sayid, I didn't like him in lost and I don't like him now.
I hate him too. Him and Angelica are always the worst parts of this show for me.

I just want to say show looks amazing in 4k. Almost up there with Marco Polo.

Hope it doesn't get cancelled like Marco tho.

Zalasta

For me, this is probably the best ensemble cast since Firefly. I think they do have a genuine camaraderie off screen which makes their on screen chemistry even better. I felt they probably could've used another episode to flesh out the season finale, since the way everything came together seemed a bit rushed and a bit out of nowhere, but overall a very strong season. I hope it will gain more audiences to assure a renewal.

KiN0

I binged the whole season yesterday and thought it was much stronger than the first. A lot more stuff happened, and the pacing felt more tight. Lito is arguably the most entertaining character since he displays the widest range of emotions, but his storyline was kind of boring for me, and felt a little contrived.

New capheus...I don't know how I feel about him. The new actor is great and all, but he's just too buff. Old caph looked like an average everyday fellow; new caph looks like a model. This is particularly jarring since he's supposed to be from a poverty stricken area where fresh water and food are in short supply.

And one last note:
I didn't really care for all the "real world" cameos this season.
Anonymous, Marc Jacobs, etc. They were a little cheesy.

Couldn't resist watching the first episode after getting home. Oh man this is SO GOOD. Huge improvement from the Christmas Special, so I guess I should thank that for doing all the heavy lifting in laying out the groundwork for the season proper because that was some great pacing. I fucking <3 this show.
I have a feeling the Christmas especial was just so they could get the group orgy scene out of the way for the rest of the season.

Final episode standouts for me:
Wolfgang getting turned on by Kala blowing up the car; Joong-ki with "my sister's the fucking terminator?"; Nomi and Neets proposing to each other; "You want a war?"
. Holy fuck at that cliffhanger, so intense.

General thoughts: Amazing cinematography and musical score. So many times throughout the season I'd have tears running down my face. The messages were still occasionally a little heavy handed, but it's forgivable because the show is just amazing at taking you through peaks and valleys of emotion, wringing you dry, and leaving you begging for more.

Also loved how the sensates come together so much more frequently to assist each other. New Capheus really grew on me too. While I'm curious how OG Capheus would have handled his storyline, I'm good with the new guy.

Bring on season 3!

Razmos

I think I really identify with Kala, her way of thinking really reflects mine and I love her attitudes towards science, and progress, and how the needs of people come before money.

She doesn't have the most exciting story but I find her character very real and honest and good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom