• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sept NPD

SantaC

jarrod said:
I've been bringing up GBA whenever I can since 2001 thanks. It rocks. :)

You should play some GB classic games. Fortress of fear, Super mario land 1 and 2, Revenge of the gator, gargoyles quest, Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, Castlevania II, bionic commando. Damn so many great gameboy games in the past.

Subitai

jarrod said:
I've been bringing up GBA whenever I can since 2001 thanks. It rocks. :)
Yeah, we could all stand to benefit from being as consistent as you. :)

I love my GBA too, but nowhere near as much as my Xbox - except when I'm waiting at the airport. Then I guard it with my life.

AniHawk

Subitai said:
My main point is still GBA was never brought up until it was consistently above PS2 and GCN numbers started getting anemic.

Maybe not here, but then you might've never gone to GameFAQs.

Insertia

Jarrod said:
Similarly, most big PS1 franchises haven't lived up to their heritage sales wise on PS2 (Final Fantasy, Twisted Metal, Tomb Raider, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Metal Gear Solid, Minna no Golf, Tony Hawk, etc).

not entirely true.

PS2 FINAL FANTASY X 2,154,873
PSX FINAL FANTASY VII 2,382,680

PS2 METAL GEAR SOLID 2 2,010,232
PSX METAL GEAR SOLID 2,393,600

PS2 TONY HAWKS PRO SKATR3 2,088,966
PSX TONY HAWKS PRO SKATR2 2,555,73

The Twisted Metal and Tomb Raider series begin to slow down before PS2. Did the Hots Shots series ever have a heritage to live up to? Crash and Spyro are no longer Sony properties.

Chi-Town

sonycowboy said:
and 6th, 7th, and 8th.

Halo
Splinter Cell
PGR
GTA: Double Pack

Fable
Madden 2005
ESPN 2k5
Halo 2

I'm not so sure about Madden's chances. It had a very steep drop from it's first month and it's sitting at around 611,000. I'd replace it with Ghost Recon. It only needs 50,000 more to hit the million mark.

Chi-Town said:
I'm not so sure about Madden's chances. It had a very steep drop from it's first month and it's sitting at around 611,000. I'd replace it with Ghost Recon. It only needs 50,000 more to hit the million mark.

I'm pretty sure it'll make it. If it stays slowed down, expect a price drop from EA.

Ghost Recon will make it, but it's selling 5-7k / month currently. If holidays pick it up then it could make it by the end of the year, but otherwise it'll make it sometime in the first half of next year.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
not entirely true.

PS2 FINAL FANTASY X 2,154,873
PSX FINAL FANTASY VII 2,382,680

PS2 METAL GEAR SOLID 2 2,010,232
PSX METAL GEAR SOLID 2,393,600

PS2 TONY HAWKS PRO SKATR3 2,088,966
PSX TONY HAWKS PRO SKATR2 2,555,73
Erm, here's some other numbers comparing high points...

-Final Fantasy VII (2.45M)
-Final Fantasy X (2.08M)

-Metal Gear Solid (2.43M)
-Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2.01M)

-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2.63M)
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (2.07M)

...PS2 installments still aren't hitting the same high points, I'm not sure what you mean to point out with these numbers?

Insertia said:
The Twisted Metal and Tomb Raider series begin to slow down before PS2.
So did Zelda looking at MM sales... again, I'm reitertaing, this trend isn't exlcuive to Nintendo/GameCube.

Insertia said:
Did the Hots Shots series ever have a heritage to live up to? Crash and Spyro are no longer Sony properties.
Crash and Spyro never were Sony IPs. And I'm referring mainly to Japan for Minna no Golf (last gen it usually sold about 2 million, this gen it's about 1 million usually).

sp0rsk said:
Fable sold alot, but we got alot of fables in trade. we got some like 2 days after the game came out.

LegoMyEgo.jpg

I thought this was funny...

unkasa

Banned
Lazy8s said:
San Andreas's temporary exclusivity, as well as the timing for the next generation Gran Theft Auto, are tied to earlier arrangements and renegotiations among Sony, Take Two, and Microsoft.

There's been no word of an Xbox version, with only a PC version rumored to hit in the summer of 2005. I'd wager that the Xbox won't see GTA:SA for a year, at the very least. It should be added that there is no reason, at this juncture, to assume the next installment in the franchise will not be exclusive to a Sony console.

unkasa

Banned
jarrod said:

-Final Fantasy X (2.08M)

...PS2 installments still aren't hitting the same high points, I'm not sure what you mean to point out with these numbers?

You're being needlessly pedantic. Factoring in the greater competition (Cube/Xbox/similar genre releases, etc.), I'd say that said franchises have held up spectacularly well on the PS2. The numbers you've posted do nothing to strengthen your argument.

Teddman

human5892 said:
An 85% ranking is good, but not great. The reviews were not overwhelmingly positive...hence, they are mixed.
Culex said:
The reviews either painted the game as the best RPG in a long time, or a shitfest of epic proportions. It's a mixed bag.
How do you figure? Take a look at Gamerankings' handy dandy pie chart for Fable reviews.

Out of 75 total reviews indexed, 65 are above 80%. That's overwhelmingly positive in my book. As for painting it as a "shitfest of epic proportions," that was clearly just the rare minority--only 3 reviews were assigned below a 70% rating.

jarrod

Banned
unkasa said:
You're being needlessly pedantic. Factoring in the greater competition (Cube/Xbox/similar genre releases, etc.), I'd say that said franchises have held up spectacularly well on the PS2. The numbers you've posted do nothing to strengthen your argument.
Well, there's actually less competition than last generation (PS2 is way ahead of PS1, and GC+Xbox combined are doing about as well as N64 did) and many of these games (with the exception of FFX) saw more media attention and anticipation than last generation. "Holding up" to a dregree but not hitting the same marks all the same... and again, there's also franchises on GameCube that are doing similar (Mario Party, Smash Bros, Pokemon Colosseum, etc)... you people are avoiding the entire point of my arguments by nitpicking at detals.

Mrbob

jarrod said:

-Final Fantasy X (2.08M)

These PS2 installments haven't stopped selling either. FFX and MGS2 may end up beating their previous high water mark games in the series. Tony Hawk is in a different situation though since Activision release a new game every year. Don't know how that will affect sales.

unkasa

Banned
jarrod said:
Well, there's actually less competition than last generation (PS2 is way ahead of PS1, and GC+Xbox combined are doing about as well as N64 did) and many of these games (with the exception of FFX) saw more media attention and anticipation than last generation. "Holding up" to a dregree but not hitting the same marks all the same... and again, there's also franchises on GameCube that are doing similar (Mario Party, Smash Bros, Pokemon Colosseum, etc)... you people are avoiding the entire point of my arguments by nitpicking at detals.

No, there's greater competition this time around. There are more titles on the shelves competing for the eyes of consumers, meaning the franchises mentioned have a greater chance of being overlooked for something else. However, as the numbers you posted attest to, those properties have, in fact, fared quite well, competition notwithstanding. Who is "nitpicking at detals[sic]"? You're the individual who -- in an attempt to underscore the false claim that erstwhile favorites on the psx now see diminished receptivity on the ps2 -- cited numbers that can't even bear the weight of scrutiny. As I previously said, there is greater competition, thus the performance of these franchises is no less impressive than what their predecessors achieved on the psx.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
These PS2 installments haven't stopped selling either. FFX and MGS2 may end up beating their previous high water mark games in the series. Tony Hawk is in a different situation though since Activision release a new game every year. Don't know how that will affect sales.
I doubt MGS2 does with MGS3 just around the corner (also the Substance relreleases will keep it down, though Integral/MGS PC didn't have a huge effect on MGS1). Same for FFX with FFXII... though these are all only US numbers, I'm not sure how things figure out worldwide (probably less in Japan, more in Europe).

Insertia

jarrod said:

-Final Fantasy X (2.08M)

...PS2 installments still aren't hitting the same high points, I'm not sure what you mean to point out with these numbers?).

High points? What do you mean?
Those PSX games have been at retail for many many years while FFX, MGS2, and THPS3 have been out for three years at most and they‘re still selling...

So did Zelda looking at MM sales... again, I'm reitertaing, this trend isn't exlcuive to Nintendo/GameCube.

It isn't exclusive to Gamecube, but the drop off from PSX-PS2 isn't nearly as large as N64-GC, not to mention PS2 has had new games make up for it. And considering this is happening to Nintendo's key franchises it makes it look all the more worse.

Crash and Spyro never were Sony IPs. And I'm referring mainly to Japan for Minna no Golf (last gen it usually sold about 2 million, this gen it's about 1 million usually).

Crash and Spyro had Sony's backing and that's the sole reason they sold so well.

Everybody's Golf 2 PS 1.44
Minna No Golf 3 PS2 1.29

Mrbob

jarrod said:
I doubt MGS2 does with MGS3 just around the corner (also the Substance relreleases will keep it down, though Integral/MGS PC didn't have a huge effect on MGS1). Same for FFX with FFXII... though these are all only US numbers, I'm not sure how things figure out worldwide (probably less in Japan, more in Europe).

You but you also thought Pikmin 2 could keep pace with Fable and would do much more than it did in September so I'll take your predictions with a grain of salt. :p

jarrod

Banned
unkasa said:
No, there's greater competition this time around. There are more titles on the shelves competing for the eyes of consumers, meaning the franchises mentioned have a greater chance of being overlooked for something else. However, as the numbers you posted attest to, those properties have, in fact, fared quite well, competition notwithstanding. Who is "nitpicking at detals[sic]"? You're the individual who -- in an attempt to underscore the false claim that erstwhile favorites on the psx now see diminished receptivity on the ps2 -- cited numbers that can't even bear the weight of scrutiny. As I previously said, there is greater competition, thus the performance of these franchises is no less impressive than what their predecessors achieved on the psx.
More titles on shelves happen as userbase increases. Honestly, I doubt there's proportionately more product on shelves compared to last generation... the market as a whole has grown, not just software selection.

As for number citiation, I was simply responding to numbers previously given if you're paying attention. If you'd like I can give numbers for other examples I made (Crash, Spyro, Twisted Metal, Tomb Raider, Minna no Golf, etc)? And the point being franchises across the board seem to taking a drop from last generation, on all platforms really... I'm simply using PS1 franchises to make an evenhanded comparison to Mario Kart & Zelda being brought up earlier. Even Game Boy standbys like Pokemon or Yu-Gi-OH! have been affected... if it makes you feel better.

SantaC

Chi-Town said:
Ah, this is a SALES thread so...

July-Sept
GCN TALES OF SYMPHONIA 219,531

Sept
XBX FABLE 604,084

Indeed, glad to know you are happy that a worse game is selling better. Not that's unsual.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
lol.. it's shown that PS2 games have fallen off to similar levels as GCN games but the GCN games have been selling poorly and the PS2 games have been selling as expected.

you cube haterz need to think your arguments through a little better.

edit - also let's stop the mario and zelda comparisons. Mario was the only game to buy at system launch (and for like 6 months after) and Zelda was possibly the most anticipated game of all time only behind mario. aside from those two games, the rest are pretty damn comparable.. even with MK:DD way behind it has been out for less than a year whereas on the N64 it had like 5 years to work up those numbers.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
High points? What do you mean?
Those PSX games have been at retail for many many years while FFX, MGS2, and THPS3 have been out for three years at most and they‘re still selling...
True, and we really don't know about international numbers... though I do remember Square initially expected 10 million from FFX worldwide.

Insertia said:
It isn't exclusive to Gamecube, but the drop off from PSX-PS2 isn't nearly as large as N64-GC, not to mention PS2 has had new games make up for it. And considering this is happening to Nintendo's key franchises it makes it look all the more worse.
Well that's be expected really when GameCube can't hit N64 level userbase... so what's PS2's excuse?

Insertia said:
Crash and Spyro had Sony's backing and that's the sole reason they sold so well.
The sole reason? Naughty Dog, Universal & Insomniac didn't play any part?

Insertia said:
Everybody's Golf 2 PS 1.44
Minna No Golf 3 PS2 1.29
And how did the first Minna no Golf sell again? And the 4th? And Online?

SantaC

Redbeard said:
It's only .5% "worse"...

But it's still worse. It's pretty bad when Fable came steaming with all the Peter Monolux hype in the world after 4.5 years of bragging vs a game that had zero advertising.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
borghe said:
also let's stop the mario and zelda comparisons. Mario was the only game to buy at system launch (and for like 6 months after)
Mario 64 being a launch game does not excuse Mario Sunshine's sales, which are well below the average sales of a typical Mario platformer.

and Zelda was possibly the most anticipated game of all time only behind mario.
True -- Ocarina of Time performed exceptionally well for a Zelda game. As I said before, The Wind Waker is actually right about where it "should" be sales-wise, when compared to the rest of the series.

aside from those two games, the rest are pretty damn comparable..
That's entirely incorrect. The sequels to 1080 Snowboarding, Waverace 64, and F-Zero 64 haven't sold nearly as well as their predecessors...and in the case of 1080, the difference is staggering. In fact, aside from SSB:M, I can't think of a GameCube sequel to an N64 game that outsold its predecessor, or even sold enough to be "pretty damn comparable".

even with MK:DD way behind it has been out for less than a year whereas on the N64 it had like 5 years to work up those numbers.
Mario Kart: DD has sold well for a GameCube game, but it will never, ever approach the levels of Mario Kart 64, even if given ten years.

jarrod said:
Well that's be expected really when GameCube can't hit N64 level userbase... so what's PS2's excuse?

Come on Jarrod. The PS2 has the highest tie ratio of any system ever. The Xbox's is above the PSOne as well. And at this point in the cycle, the PS2 has sold way more software than the Playstation. So, the natural reason is that the sales are being spread out across more games.

BTW, the PS2 has shipped significantly more skus than the PSone had at it's same point in it's lifetime.

jarrod

Banned
human5892 said:
That's entirely incorrect. The sequels to 1080 Snowboarding, Waverace 64, and F-Zero 64 haven't sold nearly as well as their predecessors...and in the case of 1080, the difference is staggering. In fact, aside from SSB:M, I can't think of a GameCube sequel to an N64 game that outsold its predecessor, or even sold enough to be "pretty damn comparable".
Mario Party, F-Zero, Harvest Moon... there's always a counter example. :)

Chi-Town

SantaCruZer said:
Indeed, glad to know you are happy that a worse game is selling better. Not that's unsual.

Happy? I haven't even bought Fable yet(waiting for a deal). This is a sales thread. Likes and dislikes mean nothing here. It's all about the cold hard facts of retail. From what I've read, ToS is supposedly a good game. It's too bad that Namco didn't support it with advertising and more Gamecube owners didn't buy it.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Come on Jarrod. The PS2 has the highest tie ratio of any system ever. The Xbox's is above the PSOne as well. And at this point in the cycle, the PS2 has sold way more software than the Playstation. So, the natural reason is that the sales are being spread out across more games.

BTW, the PS2 has shipped significantly more skus than the PSone had at it's same point in it's lifetime.
And as I said before it's also got a sinificantly higher audience to move those SKUs to. Last gen brands just haven't kept pace with overall market expansion (besides Madden really).

borghe

I thought fzero actually sold more this gen... anyone have numbers?

as for "typical mario platformer", umm.. the last typical mario platformer that didn't launch with a system was SMB3 which I would hardly call typical.

as for MK: DD, I never said it would catch up to MK64, but what did MK64 sell, 4M or so? And MK: DD is nearing 2M in 1/4 the time and hasn't even gone player's choice yet? doesn't seem MK: DD is doing to bad from that perspective.

jarrod said:
And as I said before it's also got a sinificantly higher audience to move those SKUs to. Last gen brands just haven't kept pace with overall market expansion (besides Madden really).

I'll agree with that and I think Halo, GTA:SA, Kingdom Hearts, ATV: OF, SOCOM, Splinter Cell, Pikmin, Lugi's Mansion, NBA Street, J&D, R&C, etc have something to do with that.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
jarrod said:
Mario Party, F-Zero, Harvest Moon... there's always a counter example. :)
Harvest Moon isn't a Nintendo property, but I'll give you Mario Party. I completely forgot about that one.

As for F-Zero, some sales numbers are necessary, I think -- I know GX more or less bombed, but I was the under the impression that F-Zero 64 actually did fairly well in the US.

borghe said:
as for "typical mario platformer", umm.. the last typical mario platformer that didn't launch with a system was SMB3 which I would hardly call typical.
By "typical", I mean the average number of units that a brand-new Mario platformer sells. I don't have the figure with me, but it was posted on here before, and Mario Sunshine failed to even come near it.

as for MK: DD, I never said it would catch up to MK64, but what did MK64 sell, 4M or so? And MK: DD is nearing 2M in 1/4 the time and hasn't even gone player's choice yet? doesn't seem MK: DD is doing to bad from that perspective.
The issue at hand, though, is GameCube first-party games selling as well as their predecessors, which Mario Kart: DD will almost certainly not.

Some numbers I found laying around here and there.

Biggest Loser: Second Sight. It had a week and a half and is probably the most pathetic first months sales I've ever seen.

Code:
New Releases
PS2	  PS2 FINAL FANT XI CHAINS         				 51,095 
XBX	  XBX THE GUY GAME                 				 19,991 
PS2	  PS2 THE GUY GAME                 				 19,957 
PS2	  PS2 KATAMARI DAMACY              				 19,114 
PS2	  PS2 MONSTER HUNTER               				 18,550 
PS2	  PS2 SHADOW HEARTS:COVNANT        				 17,355 
PS2	  PS2 PHANTOM BRAVE                				 17,205 
PS2	  PS2 DOG'S LIFE                   				 15,586 
PS2	  PS2 GRADIUS V                    				 12,296 
XBX	  XBX GUILTY GEAR X2:RELOAD        				 26,547 
PS2	  PS2 FORGOTTEN REALM:DEMON        			21,213 
PS2	  PS2 DDR EXTREME                  				 31,784 
PS2	  PS2 DDR EXTREME BUNDLE           				 15,530 
XBX	  XBX SECOND SIGHT                 				 4,139 
PS2	  PS2 SECOND SIGHT                 				 2,991 
XBX	  XBX CRASH: TWINSANITY            				 1,531 
PS2	  PS2 CRASH: TWINSANITY            				 4,234 

[b]For those who want to know[/b]
XBX	  XBX FULL SPECTRUM WARRIOR        				 10,378 
XBX	  XBX CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK        				 5,809 
XBX	  XBX NINJA GAIDEN                 				 8,139

borghe

human5892 said:
As for F-Zero, some sales numbers are necessary, I think -- I know GX more or less bombed, but I was the under the impression that F-Zero 64 actually did fairly well in the US.
actually Fzero X bombed as well. :(

By "typical", I mean the average number of units that a brand-new Mario platformer sells. I don't have the figure with me, but it was posted on here before, and Mario Sunshine failed to even come near it.
that's what I mean also.. Let's see.. SMB launched with the NES. then you had SMB2 and SMB3. Ok. Then SMW which launched with the SNES. Then Mario 64 which launched with the N64. So REALLY the only two games you could accurately do a 1:1 comparison with are SMB2 and SMB3. Everything else was a launch title and/or pack-in.

The issue at hand, though, is GameCube first-party games selling as well as their predecessors, which Mario Kart: DD will almost certainly not.
well, considering that by the time the game is 4 years old Revolution will have already been out for a year I don't see how it could. As far as getting close to the 3.85M of Mario Kart 64, we'll see what happens as a packin this fall and when it goes to Player's Choice next spring.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
I'll agree with that and I think Halo, GTA:SA, Kingdom Hearts, ATV: OF, SOCOM, Splinter Cell, Pikmin, Lugi's Mansion, NBA Street, J&D, R&C, etc have something to do with that.
Yeah, there's more big up and comers today... but that happens every generation (last gen saw Tomb Raider, Pokemon, GT, Crash and others). I agree sales tend to be more spread out too generally... I just get annoyedwhen people single out Nintendo alone as somehow losing their brand appeal when the truth is it's happening everywhere.

I am loving the TOTAL RECALL picture love.. I shall continue to use total recall pictures in any thread I can and find necessary, I encourage you all to do the same.

Redbeard

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
But it's still worse. It's pretty bad when Fable came steaming with all the Peter Monolux hype in the world after 4.5 years of bragging vs a game that had zero advertising.

It's only worse because a couple of hack sites gave it a 4/10, which is clearly nothing more than a hate score.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I'm not surprised at the Fable sales. Casuals seem to love this game. All my casual gamer friends, male and female, ate it up. They had no prior knowledge about feature cuts, development overambition, or schedule delays. They just liked what they played.

I thought it was ok and all, but I didn't feel compelled to play through much more than several hours worth. We'd all go out to dinner on the weekends and all they'd do is excitedly chatter about their wives in other towns (the female gamers seemed to relish this for some reason) or this quest or that. I'd just be sitting there picking at my fries.

"Where are you at?" they'd ask me.
"Uh...." I'd just kinda take a french fry and kinda swirl it around in the ketchup. I didn't really have the heart to tell them that I got bored of it already.

600K... not bad at all.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I've seen a lot of holiday talk in this thread, and I've noticed that a lot of people are saying that Nintendo is going to be trampled this holiday season. Now, Nintendo doesn't have a GTA or a Halo 2, but there still is Mario Tennis, Paper Mario, Mario Party 6, Baten Kaitos, and if you want to go back a bit, Pikmin 2, Donkey Konga, and Tales of Symphonia, as well as the multiplatform titles of Prince of Persia 2 and Viewtiful Joe 2. The DS is launching NEXT MONTH.

There might not be a hit of GTA or Halo proportions, but there is a new portable in the DS, a price drop for the SP (along with FF 1+2 and 3-4 other big hits), and plenty of party titles for the GC, Nintendo's forte. The Metroid brand is showing signs of strengthening in terms of how much of a push it's getting, IMO, with the pack-in of the Hunters demo and the Prime 2 teasers already airing.

Hell, even the RPG fans have three great RPGs to choose from for their GCs in the holiday season: ToS, PM2, and BK. None will sell as good as FF, but the quality is there.

Yes, sales are underwhelming for the GC, in terms of hardware (relative to the Ps2 and Xbox) and software.

I don't think much can be done to entice new cube owners, I'll be honest, when I look at the effects of Nintendo's recent attempts. However, when I look at my list of games to buy for the second half of the year that I initially made in june just after buying Four Swords Adventures and have changed over the past few months as new games (Mario Tennis) have been revealed and others (RE) have been pushed back of games that I would want to buy for my GC (yeah, that sentence is kind of a run-on), I see ten great games.

A sequel to Viewtiful Joe, one of my favorite action games this generation.

Pikmin 2, which has thrown out practically all of the complaints I had about the original, while taking the good qualities and improving upon them immensly, becoming my favorite EAD game since Majora's Mask.

Prince of Persia 2, the sequel to my favorite game of 2003. Now, it could end up sucking. However, I have faith in Ubisoft, and I'm sticking to it. I'm pretty confident that I will be satisfied with this game, but I will wait for SOME reviews to trickle out before I make my final decision. Even if the reviews are negative, I will still give it a rent and try it out.

WWE: Day of Reckoning. Perhaps the least impressive of the games I buy. Day of Reckoning has its flaws, but it is still a pretty solid wrestling game. It's not near the level of the N64 grapplers, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Mario Power Tennis. I played the original to death, perhaps more than any other multiplayer game on my N64. Judging from the impressions, this game will be just as good as the original, but will have even more extras, more modes, more types of matches to have fun playing with my friends.

Tales of Symphonia: It doesn't have Sakuraba's best soundtrack. Aside from the towns and some battle animations, the graphics are pretty average. The story is good, but not great. Tales of Symphonia, however, was pure fun. The most fun I've ever had with an RPG battle system. Simply walking around and battling random enemies for the heck of it probably took away well over twenty hours of my time. Add to that some multiplayer fun, plenty of extras, and a lengthy quest that has some replay value, and you have a solid RPG experience.

Baten Kaitos. Beautiful graphics, a soundtrack to die for, and an original battle system should provide a very compelling fresh experience.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. It's a new Metroid. Need I say more?

Paper Mario 2: My GotY so far. The cel shaded renders of the world look stunning at some times. Fun and funny, it has a charm that I have seen in few other games.

Donkey Konga: Another fun party game that even my dad, who NEVER plays games, has started playing. I love it.

Now, I'm not going to lie to you: These sales for the GC are disappointing, to say the least. Nintendo isn't going to get millions of new consumers to buy the GC, not at this point in the game, save for a miracle by RE4 or Zelda. However, the lineup should satisfy gamers who DO buy the console. Yeah, there's no real "killer app." But I'm happy with the lineup that I have. It's hypocritical, since I'm a sales whore, but I think that people need to look at the lineups, not at how much they sell. With Tales of Symphonia, I was a bit disappointed in it's sales. Pikmin 2 is a disappointment. But, to be honest, the feeling is minimal when compared to how it's been in the past. I just don't care nearly as much, anymore. With all these games in a span of six months, I'm more than happy with my cube. With the GBA and the DS, I'm swamped. I can't imagine what it's like for those who also regularly buy games for PC, Xbox, and Ps2, as well. But, of one thing, I am certain: Whether you're buying Madden, Star Ocean, Fable, Halo, GTA, Metroid, Super Mario 64 DS, whatever, it doesn't matter. This year, the gamers win.

Enjoy your games, because that's why we play them.

Ok, I'm done. :)

borghe said:
lol.. it's shown that PS2 games have fallen off to similar levels as GCN games but the GCN games have been selling poorly and the PS2 games have been selling as expected.

That's not GC levels. The PS2 versions are within a couple thousand of the other version. Mario Sunshine for example is units 3million units behind Mario 64 in the US.

btrboyev

Xbox without a doubt caters to the PC/FPS/Western crowd and thats why its doing well.

It really shows when a game like fable sells almost as much in one month as ninja gaiden has since march.

TheDuce22

Banned
Xbox without a doubt caters to the PC/FPS/Western crowd and thats why its doing well.

Its not like xbox owners have had much of a choice though. Maybe japanese developers shot themselves in the foot by not supporting xbox earlier.

btrboyev said:

It really shows when a game like fable sells almost as much in one month as ninja gaiden has since march.

Almost as much? Dude, it sold 103,634 more in two weeks than Ninja Gaiden has since March.

Fable 604,084 (released sept 14) approx 2 weeks
Ninja Gaiden 500,450 (released march 2) approx 7 months

Ninja Gaiden deserved more sales than this. But I definately see how Fable could cater to a wider audience (i.e. easiest game ever).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SolidSnakex said:
That's not GC levels. The PS2 versions are within a couple thousand of the other version. Mario Sunshine for example is units 3million units behind Mario 64 in the US.

Mario 64 was bundled with the N64 at launch, was it not? Not to mention that news stations had coverage about it. Mario's first 3d adventure = huge.

Oh, and...

Mario 64 was about 30 million units behind Super Mario Bros.

:p

Top Bottom