• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sept NPD

snapty00

Banned
The shock and awe that goes through the spine of the IGNcube boards every month because of the NPD makes my Insider subscription worth the money. :D

explodet

Grubdog said:
What the? Why did so many people choose Fire Red over Leaf Green? I thought Leaf Green would be more popular because it's a "new" colour, I guess people are afraid of new things...
The same reason Ruby sold better than Sapphire - it's first alphabetically.

Seriously though, it's probably just a psychological thing, when advertising the games, it's always "Fire Red and Leaf Green" instead of "Leaf Green and Fire Red". It's just first on the list.

Insertia

Nice sales for Fable. Didn't expect it to reach 500k for the month.

ESPN is seriously eating into EA sports sales.

PS2
1 MADDEN NFL 2005 $14,226,930 288,747
5 ESPN NFL 2K5 $3,956,769 203,101

XBX
3 ESPN NFL 2K5 $2,481,845 128,226
5 MADDEN NFL 2005 $5,091,888 102,886

MrparisSM

Banned
GO FABLE GO FABLE GO FABLE!

HATERZ = OWNED!

On another note, why is it that NO other game can get the sales that Pokemon gets on the GBA?? Is that the only GBA game people play??

Grubdog said:
Donkey Konga came out at the end of the month, and with word of mouth I expect it to sell better in the next few months.

Indeed, Konga was released Sept 27. Over 40k in 3 days is pretty good for a niche game.

Barnimal

Banned
datawhore, can you confirm these numbers are correct? i mean...

1 FABLE $29,948,580 604,084
1 MADDEN NFL 2005 $14,226,930 288,747
1 PIKMIN 2 $6,583,169 132,618

the gap between those are just unreal! also, do you have holiday numbers for GTA3, GTAVC and GranT3? Data for those holiday titles should paint a decent picture of what to expect from san andreas and Halo 2 this fall.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Grubdog said:
What the? Why did so many people choose Fire Red over Leaf Green? I thought Leaf Green would be more popular because it's a "new" colour, I guess people are afraid of new things...
A fire-breathing creature is probably more interesting to more people than a green dinosaur with a plant coming out its back.

cvxfreak

Dan said:
A fire-breathing creature is probably more interesting to more people than a green dinosaur with a plant coming out its back.

Had it been Blastoise with his uber new art, he would be shitting all over Charizard this moment.

Memles

Pikmin 2 sales are an injustice. As is the pretty well bomb that was Mario Golf: Advance Tour. Damn kids need to know a good game every now and then.

Odysseus

Banned
BILL CLINTON said:
BURN THESE BASTARDS AT THE STAKE!!!!

Odysseus

KOTOR is far and way the better game and has sold over 700,000 copies in the US. Fable is coming out against a harder line-up to crack (Madden, NFL 2K5, Burnout), is not receiving the same stellar reviews that KOTOR did, and has no license that casuals can recognize. Fable might do well, but it will not do KOTOR numbers.

Yeah, I got owned on my Fable prediction. Sad, too, as Fable really isn't that good of a game. Speaking of getting owned, someone might want to tell GameCube owners that there are some games available for the system. Xbox #15 > GameCube #3? Um... yeah.

Vagabond said:
Halo officially has surpassed Gran Turismo 3 for the 3rd place best selling game this generation of consoles.

Is it also correct that;

Halo has 1/6 of the potential consumer base than GT3 ?

Halo was released after GT3 ?

This is some heavy information. Halo is clearly an awesome title. Even the hatorade passed out by the PC / Sony / Nintendo factions couldnt deter Halo's greatness.

Doogdogg

Did these two Poke titles see a release in EU yet? Already, it has sold around 3 million copies with JPN sales added w/ US.

Alcibiades

Odysseus said:
Yeah, I got owned on my Fable prediction. Sad, too, as Fable really isn't that good of a game. Speaking of getting owned, someone might want to tell GameCube owners that there are some games available for the system. Xbox #15 > GameCube #3? Um... yeah.
it's called replay value...

you get more bang for your buck with all the multiplayer madness on GCN...

you don't need so many games to be endlessly entertained... ;)

Odysseus

Banned
efralope said:

I wasn't aware that Nintendo had an online plan. ;)

Barnimal

Banned
"Is it also correct that;

Halo was released after GT3 ?"

its also further proof that halo 2 could just oblitorate the holidays eating everyones sales. :D i'd really like to see holiday numbers where GT3 and GTA were present and how they effected other major releases. Wasn't the gamecube bundled with metroid for awhile already? $99 with a free game?

efralope said:

I would normally agree, but xbox and ps2 have online. Online = more opportunity of having multiplayer games right ?

efralope said:

thorazine_bottle2.jpg

MrparisSM

Banned
BILL CLINTON said:
BURN THESE BASTARDS AT THE STAKE!!!!

sonycowboy

Originally Posted by Prine:
it'll sell well. Ninja Gaiden levels imo. 1 million by the years end

"It won't do anywhere near that well."

sonycowboy

I'll got out on a limb and say it won't crack 200k it's first month (which may change by the time prediction time comes around in a month or so ) September is a little early for a game to really get sales much more than that unless it's a monster title.

Odysseus

KOTOR is far and way the better game and has sold over 700,000 copies in the US. Fable is coming out against a harder line-up to crack (Madden, NFL 2K5, Burnout), is not receiving the same stellar reviews that KOTOR did, and has no license that casuals can recognize. Fable might do well, but it will not do KOTOR numbers.

IgeL

Hyped Xbox titles have a tendency not to sell very well (at least in the long run). Fable will be interesting but I'll be on sonycowboy's side here.

jarrod

I'm betting Fable does 250-300k it's first month, 400-500k for the year. Pikmin 2 will bring in around the same.

*Points at the burning bastards* *Shakes head is dismay*

the cube got slaugthered. The fact that Fable alone sold more copies than cube's top 4 titles is shocking to say the least. I wonder what the honchos at Nintendo are thinking.. :)

how do returns figure into the NPD? Can someone clarify?

It's strange really, Cube owners are not buying games... Pikmin 2 sales are disappointing. I guess hype really does work for Xbots, Fable sales are proof enough. Halo 2 will be unstoppable.

Nintendo is clearly just going to ride out the gamecube and concentrate on a successful DS launch and getting stuff ready for revolution...

i cant imagine they'd decide to put a big fight up for gamecube at this point, with revolution launching in a year in japan, no? or maybe 1.5 years til launch in japan.

regardless, whats coming out for gamecube in 2005? gamecube2005 = dreamcast 2001?

Barnimal

Banned
whats even more crazy is IIRC fable was a mid month release! which means those numbers arent even a full month of sales!

Renegade

Banned
Kanbee-san said:
Is it also correct that;

Halo was released after GT3 ?

This is some heavy information. Halo is clearly an awesome title. Even the hatorade passed out by the PC / Sony / Nintendo factions couldnt deter Halo's greatness.
Yeah. Halo's effect on this market has been huge. I fear Halo 2.

With Fable doing 600K, I would not be surprised to see Halo 2 do million plus in one month. Two million? It's likely. I'll play it safe with my Halo 2 prediction: 1.5 million in the month of November.

Will Fable sell like Halo has? Perhaps it has some legs as well.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory needs some hype right about now too. Q1 ad Q2 Xbox is going to be hectic. I am willing to bet that the Xbox clears over PS2 about that time too.

Memles

TheGreenGiant said:
the cube got slaugthered. The fact that Fable alone sold more copies than cube's top 4 titles is shocking to say the least. I wonder what the honchos at Nintendo are thinking.. :)

I'm going to go out on the WILDEST of limbs and say.

"The GBA:SP outsold the XBox and PS2 combined, Pokemon sold over 1.2 Million copies in the span on 2-3 weeks, and we're rolling in money."

(Someone points out GameCube sales)

"We...we still make GameCubes?"

BILL CLINTON said:
regardless, whats coming out for gamecube in 2005? gamecube2005 = dreamcast 2001?

Good god, you just asked that question, didn't you?

Zelda/RE4.

TheGreenGiant said:

how do returns figure into the NPD? Can someone clarify?

if you mean trade-ins, they wont effect sold NPD #'s, but the fact they'll be available and will steal sales of new copies, it will effect overall sales #'s in the future.

cvxfreak

Tales of Symphonia: 219,531
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 2,438,729
Soul Calibur II GCN: 687,141
Mario Kart: Double Dash: 1,686,033

Odysseus

Banned
Here's the year over year comparison of consoles for 2003 and 2004, through September:

Code:
Year	 PS2s	          XBX	         GCN
2003	 3,275,103 	 1,399,636 	 1,113,089 
2004	 2,634,545 	 2,054,771 	 1,030,647 
Change	-19.56%	          46.81%	           -7.41%

huzkee said:
It's strange really, Cube owners are not buying games... Pikmin 2 sales are disappointing. I guess hype really does work for Xbots, Fable sales are proof enough. Halo 2 will be unstoppable.

Thats a bit harsh no ?

Fable is a great game. Remove fable from xbox and you still have a great game, i am betting that if it were on GCN only your tune would play bells.

You must be scraping he barrel to lump Halo 2 into the argument as well.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Vagabond said:
Yeah. Halo's effect on this market has been huge. I fear Halo 2.

With Fable doing 600K, I would not be surprised to see Halo 2 do million plus in one month. Two million? It's likely. I'll play it safe with my Halo 2 prediction: 1.5 million in the month of November.

Will Fable sell like Halo has? Perhaps it has some legs as well.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory needs some hype right about now too. Q1 ad Q2 Xbox is going to be hectic. I am willing to bet that the Xbox clears over PS2 about that time too.

PS2 hauls the most ass during christmas. Now with Halo 2 coming out the doors late in the year, do you think it will be enough to come close or surpass PS2 in the Christmas season? I remember Xbox getting somewhat close to PS2 numbers last year then ended up getting 3rd in sales for november and december :/

efralope said:
I should have emphasized, replay value at no monthly fee... ;)

i dont pay a monthly fee, I paid a yearly fee ;)

gamecube had a temporary boost because they were giving a $50 game away with a $99 system, kinda like the temporary boost Sega Saturn had when they gave away 3 games for free, it did very well then.. but then alot of kids didnt want it and returned the systems in january because they were pissed their parents picked the cheap system because it was a value..

i got the 3 free and they fucking rocked.

DopeyFish said:
PS2 hauls the most ass during christmas. Now with Halo 2 coming out the doors late in the year, do you think it will be enough to come close or surpass PS2 in the Christmas season? I remember Xbox getting somewhat close to PS2 numbers last year then ended up getting 3rd in sales for november and december :/

One game isn't enough to overcome GTASA, GT4, MGS3 and the PStwo. The PS2 will be the best selling system this holiday with ease. The Xbox will take second with ease, and then you'll have to GC picking up the scraps.

Top Bottom