• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sept NPD

Chi-Town

I tried to find Sonycowboy's earlier thread where we were discussing the chance of a 3rd party, simultaneous release selling more on Xbox than PS2, but no luck. Interesting to see it happen with Burnout 3(mind you it didn't sell huge) and with more impressive numbers, Battlefront. The question is will the Xbox versions stay ahead?

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Razoric said:
Interesting trend here...

XBX $39,379,728 265,067
PS2 $38,046,609 253,295

2 XBX FABLE $29,948,580 604,084

5 XBX SW: BATTLEFRONT $13,395,470 275,186
6 PS2 SW: BATTLEFRONT $12,949,310 267,465

14 XBX BURNOUT 3: TAKEDOWN $6,164,830 124,327
PS2 Burnout somewhere below. haha

Xbox Live? Better graphics? Go Xbox! :D

In the long run, PS2 will win out. This is simply a reflection of hardcore gamer tastes. Give it 3+ months, and the PS2 versions should consistently outsell.

Subitai

Grubdog said:
What the? Why did so many people choose Fire Red over Leaf Green? I thought Leaf Green would be more popular because it's a "new" colour, I guess people are afraid of new things...
Charizard >>> Venasaur

Did I even spell those right? Anyway, same reason Ruby did better than Sapphire. Groudon just looked cooler.

why does ANYONE care about GBA #'s?! i have a GBA, I play it about once a month on average... it sells predominantely to little kids, who have little in common with the average user of gaming age forums IMO... yet we still care to see how many kids got a GBA this month with pokemon insertcolorhere???

MrparisSM

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Where's the industry reports of this Xbox shortage? There have been reports of the PS2 shortage since August due to Sony wanting to get rid of the rest of their old PS2 stock. Several stores haven't had PS2's since then.

I work in Customer Service and people call all the time and ask if we have Xboxes(aswell as PS2s.) Xbox is sold out all over town in every store, just like the PS2. I don't need any industry reports, as I work in retail and know this for a fact. If you really need some kind of reports, I think EB games a couple months back issued a statement saying how well the Xbox and PS2 were selling(and sold out in a lot of places). I think Game Stop has reported this aswell. As I'm pretty confident in this, please forgive me for not looking up any links for you. :D Unless you are in the retail channel or know exactly how many PS2s were shipped compared to how many Xboxs were shipped, I don't see how you could make your previous statements is all I'm saying.

bitwise

Banned
BILL CLINTON said:
why does ANYONE care about GBA #'s?! i have a GBA, I play it about once a month on average... it sells predominantely to little kids, who have little in common with the average user of gaming age forums IMO... yet we still care to see how many kids got a GBA this month with pokemon insertcolorhere???

well of course, it's part of nintendo as a whole.. a gaming company

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I can't believe no one has made a special point to mention Pikmin 2's massive bomb :(

yeah it got quoted along with hardware sales and quotes like "ouch!" but I think you all need to take a hard look at the situation. The game was out the entire month, recieved as big of a TV/online/print campaign as Nintendo does, got insanely positive reviews, and was clearly Nintendo's "big" title for the month, and it's a certified BOMB.

That actually worries me far more than the hardware sales do. That says to me that Nintendo simply can't sell Gamecube software anymore, no matter what. When will they have a situation more favorable to put up good NPD #s than they did here? What did the original Pikmin sell? like 1.2 million? more? That makes this a very high-profile sequel, and it'll be lucky to hit 350-400K for it's entire lifespan.

This seriously calls into question whether we'll even see anything else from the series, in my opinion. After the reviews, campaign, and performance of the previous title, to only sell 130,000 copies... lordy lordy.

BILL CLINTON said:

A LOT of GAFers have GBA, and a lot play pokemon as well.....and they play it more than once a month. You/=everyone.

Meier

BILL CLINTON said:

a.) I've kept a detailed listing/spreadsheet of Nintendo's GBA titles for quite awhile now and
b.) I've already put in over 36 hours in Pokémon FireRed (which I chose since I bought Red originally and later Ruby) and
c.) consider the GBA SP the best system this gen.

Mrbob

GDJustin said:
I can't believe no one has made a special point to mention Pikmin 2's massive bomb :(

yeah it got quoted along with hardware sales and quotes like "ouch!" but I think you all need to take a hard look at the situation. The game was out the entire month, recieved as big of a TV/online/print campaign as Nintendo does, got insanely positive reviews, and was clearly Nintendo's "big" title for the month, and it's a certified BOMB.

That actually worries me far more than the hardware sales do. That says to me that Nintendo simply can't sell Gamecube software anymore, no matter what. What did the original Pikmin sell? like 1.2 million? more? That makes this a very high-profile sequel, and it'll be lucky to hit 350-400K for it's entire lifespan.

This seriously calls into question whether we'll even see anything else from the series, in my opinion. After the reviews, campaign, and performance of the previous title, to only sell 130,000 copies... lordy lordy.

GC is a dead console.

Meier

GDJustin said:
That actually worries me far more than the hardware sales do. That says to me that Nintendo simply can't sell Gamecube software anymore, no matter what. What did the original Pikmin sell? like 1.2 million? more? That makes this a very high-profile sequel, and it'll be lucky to hit 350-400K for it's entire lifespan.

The original Pikmin is at about 650k or so after 3 years. Pikmin 2 should get to 350k by the end of the year and do a few hundred thousand more once it reaches the Player's Choice level. 500k lifetime is an absolute minimum.

But yes, it deserved to do better.

cvxfreak

Subitai said:
Charizard >>> Venasaur

Did I even spell those right? Anyway, same reason Ruby did better than Sapphire. Groudon just looked cooler.

It's funny, because Kyogre is considered in the top 3 for most powerful Pokemon (slots occupied only by Mewtwo and Rayquaza). Groudon's like #10. O_O

GDJustin

Mrbob said:
GC is a dead console.

I never believed it for even a moment until I saw Pikmin 2's sales. Now I'm inclined to believe you. A system can be third and still be alive and kicking, as the GCN has been since it's inception in America. But Pikmin 2's sales scream death to me.

MrparisSM

Banned
Datawhore said:
In the long run, PS2 will win out. This is simply a reflection of hardcore gamer tastes. Give it 3+ months, and the PS2 versions should consistently outsell.

Xbox is a fresh new gaming experience for the casuals when compared to the PS2. If you had a choice between those two versions, which would you get?

Barnimal

Banned
etiolate said:
I think we can declare that joke dead.

the #5 game sold 33k. i dont really think its a joke.

Keep telling yourself that. Halo 2 will be a great title, and xbox is going to do extremely well this year. it simply won't outsell ps2 with new hardware, mgs3, gt4, GTA:SA etc. this winter. all sony has to do is ship enough hardware really. Nintendo is going to sell a fair amount of consoles, but they are not looking at the beefy christmas that MS and Sony are IMO.

if the xbox somehow manages to outsell or come within a couple thousand of the PStwo in october then the year belongs to MS. PStwo hype doesnt really seem all that major and its big games are all sequels to sequels. Looking at fable it shows that gamers are hungry for new stuff. halo isnt exactly new but it hasnt been milked dry yet either.

GDJustin

Meier said:
The original Pikmin is at about 650k or so after 3 years. Pikmin 2 should get to 350k by the end of the year and do a few hundred thousand more once it reaches the Player's Choice level. 500k lifetime is an absolute minimum.

But yes, it deserved to do better.

Even being way way off in my guesstimate of how much Pikmin 1 sold, I'm standing by my Pikmin 2 prediction. For it to sell 350K by year's end, it'll have to sell an avg. of 75K a month oct-dec, and that isn't going to happen. it'll do 75-90K in October then wallow in the the 30-40K range for a while.

Chi-Town

Other items of note...

XBX ESPN NHL 2K5 $1,922,700 97,983
PS2 ESPN NHL 2K5 $1,897,349 96,566

So another title sold more on Xbox.

PS2 STREET RACING SYNDCTE $4,840,836 97,316
XBX STREET RACING SYNDCTE $3,498,198 70,415
GC STREET RACING SYNDCTE less than 19,000

I didn't expect it do as well as it did.

SyNapSe

GDJustin said:

Its' sales aren't that bad. Quirky semi-RTS titles just aren't going to sell mainstream... even with the Nintendo branding on there it's only going to do so much. Having the Nintendo name on the box will get it consistent sales to parents, and it will probably sell quite well throughout the holiday.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
MrparisSM said:
Xbox is a fresh new gaming experience for the casuals when compared to the PS2. If you had a choice between those two versions, which would you get?

Who cares????

PS2 will outsell Xbox the rest of the year. Why are you asking questions that are going to be answered by fanboyish opinion? They both have their perks, don't start a console war discussion in this thread.

"I can't believe no one has made a special point to mention Pikmin 2's massive bomb "

It's the GC and no one is really surprised when it or its games do bad anymore. It's more surprising when it actually has a hit.

Barnimal said:
if the xbox somehow manages to outsell or some within a couple thousand of the PStwo in october then the year belongs to MS. PStwo hype doesnt really seem all that major and its big games are all sequels to sequels. Looking at fable it shows that gamers are hungry for new stuff. halo isnt exactly new but it hasnt been milked dry yet either.

The best selling game this year is Madden and it only took a month to accomplish that. So that's all you really need to know that gamers aren't that hungry for new experiences.

Subitai

CVXFREAK said:
It's funny, because Kyogre is considered in the top 3 for most powerful Pokemon (slots occupied only by Mewtwo and Rayquaza). Groudon's like #10. O_O
You think most boys are gonna comb gamefaqs to see which has better base stats?

It's about the look.

GDJustin said:

That actually worries me far more than the hardware sales do. That says to me that Nintendo simply can't sell Gamecube software anymore, no matter what. When will they have a situation more favorable to put up good NPD #s than they did here? What did the original Pikmin sell? like 1.2 million? more? That makes this a very high-profile sequel, and it'll be lucky to hit 350-400K for it's entire lifespan.

Yeah, it's depressing. Correct me if I'm wrong but the first Pikmin was not a big performer right away either, what with being a new IP and all but it's sold somewhat steadily to be sitting at just under 1 million last time I checked. The sequel has severely underperformed and it's really sad considering how brilliant it is. Hard to say really, maybe christmas will see it spike in sales but that's a long shot with all the titles still coming out from now til then.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
lol. Remember that thread about September being Nintendo's month? With Pikmin 2 anticipation? EFRAOWNED. PICKBOMBED.

This is no shocker outside the confines of this forum. The GC is a fairly boring console in a crowded market.

Kinda shocked that the Xbox beat the PS2 again. I wonder if it can withstand the new model and GTA?

AntoneM

I know there is no logical reason to get excited about HW sales but I do enjoy seeing XBox outsell PS2. It's that part of me that always wants the underdog to win (unless they're playing the Vikings) and yes, the XBox is/was the underdog.

Mrbob

So when is Reggies words of wisdom from E3 going to come to fruition? Or is he all talk and no action? He reminds me of one of those big guys who tries too hard to be a bully, but you pop them in the mouth one time and they go whimpering away, never to return.

Mrbob said:
So when is Reggies words of wisdom from E3 going to come to fruition? Or is he all talk and no action? He reminds me of one of those big guys who tries too hard to be a bully, but you pop them in the mouth one time and they go whimpering away, never to return.

His talk about all the momentum Ninteodo and the GC had? It's had zero momentum since then, nothings really made it pick up any sales on a month to month basis even with Pikmin 2. All that's left is MP2.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
SolidSnakex said:
His talk about all the momentum Ninteodo and the GC had? It's had zero momentum since then, nothings really made it pick up any sales on a month to month basis even with Pikmin 2. All that's left is MP2.

RE4

Meier

GDJustin said:
Even being way way off in my guesstimate of how much Pikmin 1 sold, I'm standing by my Pikmin 2 prediction. For it to sell 350K by year's end, it'll have to sell an avg. of 75K a month oct-dec, and that isn't going to happen. it'll do 75-90K in October then wallow in the the 30-40K range for a while.

You're underestimating a game's selling power during the Christmas season. It probably will do about 90k in October, and should very easily do 120k in November/December.

Barnimal

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The best selling game this year is Madden and it only took a month to accomplish that. So that's all you really need to know that gamers aren't that hungry for new experiences.

didnt mario kart DD outsell everything last fall? and it was a sequel to a property that hadnt been used in YEARS. allowing space between good properties helps sales alot. so maybe its not necesarily new but just not milked. madden is a guaranteed seller too so its kinda unfair to compare madden with anything else. its not as if madden is just going to flop anytime soon.

deadlifter said:
There are tons of great games for GBA, prepare to be owned by one of the many fanboys.

yah there are tons of great games for GBA, I have some... but i'd rather play a game on my big screen with a controller sitting in my comphy chair... the only time i play GBA is when I am on the go or waiting somewhere, hardly an ideal experience.. otherwise, i dont want to sit in my house playing a game on that little screen.. i'd rather play my snes/genesis...

Mrbob

SolidSnakex said:

Yes. It makes for good popcorn fodder.

Mrbob said:
Surprised? He's just another PR puppet like Perrin Kaplan and George Harrison; they're pretty much powerless and irrelevant in the big Nintendo scheme.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
BILL CLINTON said:
yah there are tons of great games for GBA, I have some... but i'd rather play a game on my big screen with a controller sitting in my comphy chair... the only time i play GBA is when I am on the go or waiting somewhere, hardly an ideal experience.. otherwise, i dont want to sit in my house playing a game on that little screen.. i'd rather play my snes/genesis...

One could say that they prefer to play their games on the go compared to sitting at home. It's just how you look at it.

Barnimal said:
didnt mario kart DD outsell everything last fall? and it was a sequel to a property that hadnt been used in YEARS. allowing space between good properties helps sales alot. so maybe its not necesarily new but just not milked. madden is a guaranteed seller too so its kinda unfair to compare madden with anything else. its not as if madden is just going to flop anytime soon.

So you think the PS2's big games are going to flop then since they're sequels to sequels? That's what your post seem to suggest. I don't see how a game that's previous version ended up selling 4million within a span of 2 months is going to suddenly flop. Even the Double Pack for the PS2 and Xbox sold extremely well.

GDJustin

Mrbob said:

It's his fucking job dude, jesus. I mean whatever, rag on Nintendo for making stupid decisions if you like. I do. But try to understand that Reggie's entire purpose at nintendo is to talk about how great everything that ever happens to them is and how bright their future is, no matter what. No matter how much he or the rest of nintendo is thinking "we're fucked" he'll alayws be bullish.

What "action" do you want the guy who is essentially Nintendo's mouthpiece to take? Talk... louder?

BuddyC

Dismal Pikmin 2 Sales
sad2.gif
sadbub.gif

Any idea on Katamari?

Mrbob

Operations said:
Surprised? He's just another PR puppet like Perrin Kaplan and George Harrison; they're pretty much powerless and irrelevant in the big Nintendo scheme.

Yeah but it is hilarious the rallying cry he brought to the Nfaithful. Reggie-lution???!? :lol Now they have had their heads smashed in again.

Any idea on Katamari?

Posted earlier in the thread. A little over 19K.

snapty00

Banned
Mrbob said:
I know...it really is a bit sad. :( I can't help but to think of this quote:

"What company, right now, is driving category sales? If you said someone other than Nintendo, you're wrong. We have momentum, have had it since late last year; and if you don't feel it yet, you will -- I'll promise you that." -Reggie

Mashing

Nintendo needs to take everyone responsible for the Gamecube and drop them in a 100' hole and bury them alive with xbox's. Pathetic showing for the GC.

Top Bottom