• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

First day of the AJPW Royal Road Tournament;

AJPW, "ROYAL ROAD TOURNAMENT 2013 - OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP", 2013.09.11
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
865 Fans

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2u0yd

01. Osamu Nishimura & Masao Inoue vs KENSO & Hikaru Sato
02. D-Lo Brown & Bambi Killer vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Atsushi Aoki
03. Suwama & Kazushi Miyamoto vs Takao Omori & Kento Miyahara
04. Royal Road Tournament - Round 1: Low Ki vs Dark Cuervo
05. Royal Road Tournament - Round 1: Joe Doering vs SUSHI
06. Royal Road Tournament - Round 1: Go Shiozaki vs Kotaro Suzuki
07. Royal Road Tournament - Round 1: Jun Akiyama vs Akebono

RIP jun akiyama

Don't fuck with Bono-chan;

itchC4LmLvFjO.gif

Also, Joe Doering...goddamn, now that's a powerbomb;

ir5pzjA1oN2Ut.gif

Hey WrassleGAF, I stopped watching wrestling way back in 2003 because I kind of grew out of it. I just recently started watching the recap shows on hulu because I have some free time. Honestly, I am kind of enjoying it and I don't know why. I don't really care for any of the personalities. I'm starting to like Bryan and CMPunk. Also, just saw Santino Marella(sp?) for the first time... He is awesome. He seems like a character which is what I miss. Is that his schtick, being all crazy when he enters and exits the ring? Should I start trying to watch TNA? All I hear is its not very good.

Yeah, Santino's mostly a comedy wrestler, but he's a great character and I love his crazy powerwalk to the ring, lol. He's not a regular at present, though, as he's set up a training academy in Canada.

As for TNA...no, don't bother. Honestly, try some ROH. It's better weekly TV than TNA and you can watch it for free on their website;

www.rohwrestling.com

Hay guys let's go to the Art Museum of Philadelphia steps to go support wrestli-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LOL! I can't keep up with this CHIKARA stuff, I just don't have the will for it any more. I actually kinda feel bad for the nerds so wrapped up in this ARG shit.

LOL! I can't keep up with this CHIKARA stuff, I just don't have the will for it any more. I actually kinda feel bad for the nerds so wrapped up in this ARG shit.

I have lots of friends going there to support the fans and all that jazz...

But it is still the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I'm like, 5 blocks away from the Art Museum, but have zero interest in going to deal with that. If I'm going to the Art Museum, it's to go look at art, not fucking show solidarity to something that is dead

Guys, that Ziggler moment was fucking GREAT. The crowd was as into it as I've ever heard a crowd be, and Ziggler being such a jobber meant I was legitimately convinced he might actually be the first to lose on his cash-in. That Ziggler has subsequently fallen to the US Title hunt doesn't make the moment, itself, any less amazing.

I can imagine a reality where Ziggler went on to get that kind of reaction everywhere, but alas, that reality is not this one.

Penguin

The top 10 Crowd Reactions from the WWE:

1. Mankind wins the title on Raw
2. Brock Lesnar returns 2012
3. Dolph wins the title 2013
4. Jericho debuts 1999
5. British Bulldog beats Bret hart 1992
6. John Cena goes to Raw 2005
7. Biker Taker debuts 2000
8. Triple H returns 2002
9. Rock returns 2011
10. Punk at Money in the Bank 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2TyOchDMw0&feature=player_embedded

I think number 1 is also a great case for not always needing your big star on EVERY episode.

I believe Austin was gone for like 3-4 weeks by the time that took place. Don't think written off, just time off after a grueling match

Entropia

No One Remembers

4. Jericho debuts 1999
8. Triple H returns 2002
9. Rock returns 2011

#6... the crowd reaction wasn't that huge...

top comment, lol

Where is Christan when he came back in 2013

Aiii

So not worth it
Guys, that Ziggler moment was fucking GREAT. The crowd was as into it as I've ever heard a crowd be, and Ziggler being such a jobber meant I was legitimately convinced he might actually be the first to lose on his cash-in. That Ziggler has subsequently fallen to the US Title hunt doesn't make the moment, itself, any less amazing.

I can imagine a reality where Ziggler went on to get that kind of reaction everywhere, but alas, that reality is not this one.

I guess in that reality, Ziggler can work a mic and a crowd.

Moment deserves the top 3 spot though, reaction was loud as hell.

I have lots of friends going there to support the fans and all that jazz...

But it is still the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I'm like, 5 blocks away from the Art Museum, but have zero interest in going to deal with that. If I'm going to the Art Museum, it's to go look at art, not fucking show solidarity to something that is dead

I just don't really get what the point is - if CHIKARA is well and truly dead, wouldn't a better way of showing solidarity for the wrestlers and that style of wrestling be to actually attend some Wrestling Is shows? Because they're still drawing pretty damn badly, despite CHIKARA no longer being around.

I guess in that reality, Ziggler can work a mic and a crowd.

Moment deserves the top 3 spot though, reaction was loud as hell.

Ziggler can work a crowd just fine, physically. With proper booking, and a charismatic manager, he could've overcome the mic deficiency, but WWE seems to have forgotten the Heyman rule of hiding someone's weaknesses, instead of booking into them.

He's basically the perfect scrappy underdog face, in terms of getting a crowd into his matches by bumping and selling like a champ. Few better offensive moves, and he could've been a real star.

Hell, maybe we'll be surprised and see him make a comeback, but considering that Bryan/HHH will be tangling around the WWE title for many more months yet, and we're still awaiting a Damien Sandow cash-in (which will undoubtedly herald Cody's triumphant return), I just don't see room for him at the top of the card until at least after Wrestlemania. And by that point, you have to wonder why WWE would even give a shit when they could give guys like Zayn and Neville the same kind of push without having to deal with backtalk and Twitter grumbling.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

4. Jericho debuts 1999
8. Triple H returns 2002
9. Rock returns 2011

Hah, they edited out the moment of impact when
Austin hit Rock with the chair
in #1. Good ol' WWE PG.

Kaladin

Brock Lesnar returns 2012.......that was already an insane post Mania Raw....and we already knew Lesnar was there, but we were ready for it. Lesnar coming in, F5ing Cena and kicking his hat is still near the top of the list of segments I have witnessed live.

strobogo

Banned
I'm about half way through the year for the WCW1998 spreadsheet. Not only were there a ton of Kidman/Juvi and Benoit/Booker matches, but a whole lot of Jericho/Calo matches.

I just don't really get what the point is - if CHIKARA is well and truly dead, wouldn't a better way of showing solidarity for the wrestlers and that style of wrestling be to actually attend some Wrestling Is shows? Because they're still drawing pretty damn badly, despite CHIKARA no longer being around.

Because that'd make sense!

But no the whole thing is just a HUGE storyline it's been planned for years they're a genius woopwoopwoo-NOAP

Kaladin

I'm about half way through the year for the WCW1998 spreadsheet. Not only were there a ton of Kidman/Juvi and Benoit/Booker matches, but a whole lot of Jericho/Calo matches.

I can just hear the backstage complaints one night:

XXXXX: Why am I in a match with yyyyyyy again? We just wrestled two weeks ago....and several times this year...what's the deal?

Booker: The deal is the fans like it....get out there and don't complain about it or I'll throw something on a pole....fans love things on a pole and you haven't done one of those matches yet.

XXXX throws hands up and storms off shaking head.

But no the whole thing is just a HUGE storyline it's been planned for years they're a genius woopwoopwoo-NOAP

Insane CHIKARA fans will retcon anything to suit their purposes and if CHIKARA's ever to return in some form, or if Quack ever promotes another show, you just know they're going to have it all tied in, storyline-wise, and people will convince themselves that the months of inactivity and bizarre ending to Anniversario: Never Compromise were just audacious, ground-breaking storytelling tools used to further The Almighty Quackenbush's master plan.

I used to like the fact that they paid attention to continuity in CHIKARA, but I never saw it as something so intricately planned - the way some fans go on about it, you'd think Quack had the Anniversario ending written the day the Eye of Tyr was introduced into CHIKARA. Ridiculous. This shit is just as on-the-fly as any promotion out there.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Insane CHIKARA fans will retcon anything to suit their purposes and if CHIKARA's ever to return in some form, or if Quack ever promotes another show, you just know they're going to have it all tied in, storyline-wise, and people will convince themselves that the months of inactivity and bizarre ending to High Noon were just audacious, ground-breaking storytelling tools used to further The Almighty Quackenbush's master plan.

I used to like the fact that they paid attention to continuity in CHIKARA, but I never saw it as something so intricately planned - the way some fans go on about it, you'd think Quack had the High Noon ending written the day the Eye of Tyr was introduced into CHIKARA. Ridiculous. This shit is just as on-the-fly as any promotion out there.

Quack has a Chikara bible with all of this in there. He even knew you would react this way. Quack knows all.

Insane CHIKARA fans will retcon anything to suit their purposes and if CHIKARA's ever to return in some form, or if Quack ever promotes another show, you just know they're going to have it all tied in, storyline-wise, and people will convince themselves that the months of inactivity and bizarre ending to Anniversario: Never Compromise were just audacious, ground-breaking storytelling tools used to further The Almighty Quackenbush's master plan.

I used to like the fact that they paid attention to continuity in CHIKARA, but I never saw it as something so intricately planned - the way some fans go on about it, you'd think Quack had the Anniversario ending written the day the Eye of Tyr was introduced into CHIKARA. Ridiculous. This shit is just as on-the-fly as any promotion out there.

Well, like I said when I first rolled into Wrassle-GAF, the whole conglomerate thing was being setup, but I'm certain it just got retconned into being a way to end the company instead of a 'We're closing, but one last night for funsies' deal.

I heard best case scenario was NPWD 2014 being the start of something, but that it was more a pipe dream than anything. And the Wrestling Is stuff isn't doing so hot either. D:

I won't go into it further since there's personal bias there, but I think they should've just announced the closing and gone out with a bang, instead of this shit.

I have never watched an episode of Breaking Bad. Guess I'll give it a go once it's finished.

Hopefully it's not as horribly overrated as The Wire *runs for cover*.

I won't go into it further since there's personal bias there, but I think they should've just announced the closing and gone out with a bang, instead of this shit.

Same here, they could have storyline explained it however they like, but telling the fans CHIKARA was closing and putting on one last, spectacular show would have been a much better way to handle things, in hindsight. They could even have retconned the whole thing at a later date with the 'multiple Archies' and 'bad timeline' stuff that was going on.

The bizarre ending only served to create interest in an angle with no obvious pay-off and, if there is ever any pay-off, by that time I wouldn't be surprised to find that significantly less people give a shit than they did back in June. Myself included.

Aiii

So not worth it
I have never watched an episode of Breaking Bad. Guess I'll give it a go once it's finished.

It is not, and if you end up thinking it is, your opinion is wrong.

Same here, they could have storyline explained it however they like, but telling the fans CHIKARA was closing and putting on one last, spectacular show would have been a much better way to handle things, in hindsight. They could even have retconned the whole thing at a later date with the 'multiple Archies' and 'bad timeline' stuff that was going on.

The bizarre ending only served to create interest in an angle with no obvious pay-off and, if there is ever any pay-off, by that time I wouldn't be surprised to find that significantly less people give a shit than they did back in June. Myself included.

It's a mess. Honestly, the worst part of it all was when rumors were rampant about it being the last show and such, and what went out, news wise?

'Don't believe everything you hear! People are just trying to bring us down.'

And then...derp.

So basically you've pretty clearly publicly shown yourself to be a liar, and for what purpose? To try and throw people off?

And that ending? It was a bad idea. Period. And I've had tons of people try and convince me of the good parts. Nope. Not happening. ESPECIALLY on iPPV.

Just a shitshow all around. The fact that they're still toying with the hardcore fans with these stupid rallies and stuff is just patently insulting. It's pro wrestling, not fucking LOST.

In more amusing news, the HTC commercials with Robert Downey Jr. make no fucking sense. And are still hilarious.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

The Wire is a show for white liberal males, nothing more.

School has really been cutting my time into this thread, was the New Japan iPPV any good today? Main Event tag looked pretty good on paper

Kaladin

It is not, and if you end up thinking it is, your oppinion is wrong.

I actually think it is, but for me....it's because Breaking Bad is one story from start to end. The Wire is more like the story of a city, told in sections with a different section in each season. With Breaking Bad however, you get the true evolution of evil in a tight six season arc.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
School has really been cutting my time into this thread, was the New Japan iPPV any good today? Main Event tag looked pretty good on paper

Paid for it but haven't watched yet. Boots' Twitter was lit up, sounded like a heck of a main event...

Lol, report from the CHIKARA meet-up;

"About 25-30 people showed up at the steps and at around noon, Icarus came and greeted us all. He took out a small megaphone and (after a bit of trouble turning it on haha) he made a speech about how one man inspired an entire city at that location (the Rocky steps), and so to will he inspire something something something CHIKARA. Then he handed out a petition to be signed by everyone (just names. no phone numbers, etc.) and handed out I AM CHIKARA t-shirts to everyone who didn’t own one from the first Easton meet-up (more people came than expected so he didn’t have enough shirts). He then said something about how we can make a difference and how our voice is our weapon and handed out slips of paper (not business cards. “I’m on a budget, son” haha) with Wink Vavasseur’s personal email: w.c.vavasseur@titorconglomerate.com. After that, he left, leaving behind a rolled up poster. A girl called out to him saying he forgot his poster and he said back something to the effect of “I don’t need it anymore” or “It’s yours now” or something like that. The poster said “#13Y19T5R9U13P”. Afterwards, people just kinda stood around and hung out."

:|

The Wire is a show for white liberal males, nothing more.

Shit, I should have loved it then. And I'm proper liberal, not any of your wishy-washy US liberalism, no sir!

The main event was great, I very much enjoyed it - overall, the 2nd half of the show was good and worth a watch, the rest not so much. Although, the young lions did good in the opening match.

Jamie OD

In more amusing news, the HTC commercials with Robert Downey Jr. make no fucking sense. And are still hilarious.

Every time I see that ad I'm wondering "Is that really Robert Downey Jr? Why is he doing this?"

As for Chikara, I loved the mystery stuff but now it's just embarrassing and I don't care that the company is dead.

somedevil

Stephanie McMahon issued an invitation via Twitter to WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes to appear on Monday's Raw. "Please accept this invitation to attend Raw this Monday in Cleveland," McMahon wrote to Rhodes. "I have a business proposition for you. Thank you."

The storyline continues. Hope they still have that pok a dot outfit to offer Dusty to wear to get Cody hired again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So weird that they're building up both Cody Rhodes and Daniel Bryan.

I would say they're giving Cody Dolph's push for whining so much, but I imagine this is a push that's been a long time coming for Cody, they've likely been talking to him about it for a while.

Aiii

So not worth it
So weird that they're building up both Cody Rhodes and Daniel Bryan.

I would say they're giving Cody Dolph's push for whining so much, but I imagine this is a push that's been a long time coming for Cody, they've likely been talking to him about it for a while.

Think again, according to Meltzer nobody told the creative team Cody got time off for his weddigg, so they had a storyline planned out for him with Sandow. What you are seeing now is something that just happened last minute after they found out Cody was leaving.

Aiii

So not worth it
Well Meltzer is always right.

Maybe not, but as far as creative goes, the guy has his contacts.

-Jim Ross taped an episode of The Steve Austin Show this week. The show is likely to be featured next week, in addition to part two of the Jerry “The King” Lawler interview. You can check out past episodes of the Steve Austin Show online at PodcastOne.com.

Yay!

This Rhodes storyline seems pretty good for something that was reportedly pulled out of their ass at the last minute because they forgot to give a story reason to let Cody have time off.

Anth0ny

4. Jericho debuts 1999
8. Triple H returns 2002
9. Rock returns 2011

Pretty great list. Totally agree with the top 3. Post mania crowds nowadays are so great. Is it wrong that I want to go to post Mania Raw more than Mania itself at this point?

But nothing, and the Rock means nothing, will top that pop for Foley on January 4th. So damn good.

Kinda surprised Punk at MITB isn't higher. The cheers for Punk and the BOOS for Cena gave me legit goosebumps.

Lol, report from the CHIKARA meet-up;

"About 25-30 people showed up at the steps and at around noon, Icarus came and greeted us all. He took out a small megaphone and (after a bit of trouble turning it on haha) he made a speech about how one man inspired an entire city at that location (the Rocky steps), and so to will he inspire something something something CHIKARA. Then he handed out a petition to be signed by everyone (just names. no phone numbers, etc.) and handed out I AM CHIKARA t-shirts to everyone who didn’t own one from the first Easton meet-up (more people came than expected so he didn’t have enough shirts). He then said something about how we can make a difference and how our voice is our weapon and handed out slips of paper (not business cards. “I’m on a budget, son” haha) with Wink Vavasseur’s personal email: w.c.vavasseur@titorconglomerate.com. After that, he left, leaving behind a rolled up poster. A girl called out to him saying he forgot his poster and he said back something to the effect of “I don’t need it anymore” or “It’s yours now” or something like that. The poster said “#13Y19T5R9U13P”. Afterwards, people just kinda stood around and hung out."

:|

I love this, I don't care if people hate it, I love it. It's full on CHIKARA ARG. People might not like it, and it might be wasted on such a niche regional promotion, but I welcome 'new' and risky ideas.

https://twitter.com/MysteriumP

Mysterium Populus ‏@MysteriumP 13 May 12
Half your time has expired, and you still haven't found the blog I wrote you almost 15 months ago?

Top Bottom