• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

DMczaf

tumblr_mt9r6mVoaO1sbzhteo1_250.gif

tumblr_mt9rlo65zL1sbzhteo1_250.gif

I can watch this all day.

ibsB7qZV4F6Dge.gif

Heyman is awesome. The look on his face throughout that whole segment was amazing.

this is the best thing to happen to Ryback since turning heel. He was so over as a face that I never understood the heel turn except to feed him to Cena, but Heyman can elevate him.

bjork

I will make an effort to tune in if Shane returns. I've mainly read reports for years now, but Shane's been out of the game long enough that he could roll back in and be slightly fresh, at least for awhile.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I will make an effort to tune in if Shane returns. I've mainly read reports for years now, but Shane's been out of the game long enough that he could roll back in and be slightly fresh, at least for awhile.

Have you seen him lately? He looks -old- as hell now.

And Shane was great in a totally different era. They don't do those kinds of spots anymore.

jred2k

The possibilities with Heyman in a wheel chair barking orders at people while using Ryback as his muscle has me excited.

but that's the thing, he's become a mini-Cena, "face-ified" by the WWE.

he's essentially "underdog #27767". the psychotic edge he had when he was with Kane and made his character fun is completely gone. the mood swings, the persecution complex, the Napolean complex you mention are all gone.

now he's just the happy go lucky guy who's always smirking, cutting "and i have this belt cause it was my dream and i did it with your help, WWE universe" promos and going against the odds... doesn't that remind you of someone?

all that made the character fun to follow has been castrated, only the YES and NO remain.

Thing is, I don't mind it when it's done well - and WWE has been doing it pretty well, thus far.

The problem with Cena is that he's a massive bodybuilder who's been the face of the company for the better part of a decade. They should have stopped doing the "underdog, overcoming the odds" thing years ago and either turned him heel or made him into a total untouchable God, but he sells to the little sick kids, so they can't do that.

Bryan, on the other hand, definitely looks the part of someone who would be held down by management for not conforming to the traditional mold. Unlike Cena, he IS small, and he IS an underdog when put against 4-5 guys. Kids can relate to being a smaller person in a big person world. I LIKE that he's been acting basically honorable, as opposed to being a huge dick to everyone. I LIKE that he's gotten over being, basically, himself, since I know they were never going to continue with the whole "weakest link" thing or keep him the total loose emotional cannon, since those things don't make as much sense when you've beaten Cena for the belt clean. (Not to mention, Bryan is no Stone Cold or Punk, or even Cena, on the mic, so it's probably better to let him have the Yes/No chants than overexpose his biggest weakness.

Ultimately, Bryan has been booked about as well as I think he could've been, thus far. It wouldn't make sense to make him a mini-Stone Cold, mouthing off to authority all the time, as it misses the fact that his basic appeal, in a commercial sense, is the fact that he's mostly a normal, nice, likable guy who's just fucking great at his job. As long as he's putting on great matches and being involved in good stories, which he has been thus far, I don't see how he loses the crowd.

I'm alot more worried that they'll Cenafy Sami Zayn, honestly. THERE'S a guy who's a perfect non-WWE smiling babyface.

Also, I don't really want Shane to come back. He wouldn't really make sense, anyway, since the fact that he's not with the company is pretty widely-known, and given that they seem to be trying to placate the smarks, I doubt they try to pretend that he still is. I think Vince eventually coming around on Bryan and championing him is, ultimately, the better story, anyway.

Boots - I know what you mean about Big Show, but a big part of WWE's appeal has always been the archetypal appeal of its stories. In this case, "Good guy, caught in a bad financial situation, has to go along with his shitty bosses' whims" is likely something a good many people can relate to, these days, and Big Show - being a giant - is probably one of the only people in the locker room who can INSTANTLY be a threat to anybody. You just have to insert him into that weird netherworld of wrestling logic, where people getting the shit kicked out of them is not THAT big of a deal, to see Big Show as I think WWE wants you to see him. I thought the segment last night was pretty great, for example - "Knock him out, or he's going to get a hell of a lot worse from The Shield" is a great way for a heel to make a face do bad things.

bjork

Have you seen him lately? He looks -old- as hell now.

And Shane was great in a totally different era. They don't do those kinds of spots anymore.

He is old, and that's fine. I don't need (or particularly want) to see him wrestle, never did back then either. I was speaking more as an on-air role, whether that's as a manager of a stable or some made-up advisory position.

Would be cool to see Shane come back to save the company from his sister and HHH, would work with the direction they have been taking things, blurring between kayfabe and reality.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That damn Karl Anderson finally got under my skin too much. Argh!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I love Karl Anderson but he makes a mountain out of a molehill.

DMczaf

I'm watching the Top 25 Rivalries DVD on Netflix, and why is The Miz the talking head for Rock/Austin? He sounds like he's reading back of the box features on a video game when talking about this rivalry.

"Here you have The Rock, when he came in you can just see it...he was meant for Hollywood! And then you have Stone Cold, he was different from The Rock. He was the Texas Rattlesnake!"

jmdajr

It was crazy, I mean Zack Ryder

edit: Unrelated.

Stephanie should basically never play face. She should just act like the natural bitch she is.
It's fantastic.

edit edit: although she was a pretty great and sexy Smackdown face GM

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
http://legitshook.com presents:

The Hot/Cold List

HOT

Miz's Dad's indifference
Stephanie McMahon
The Big Show (seriously!)
The American Dream, if you wheel
Heyman's taking Ryback to elevate him

LUKEWARM

Candy corn
Spinebusters in the NFL
Bully Ray's Contract

COLD

Natalya's in-ring work :(
The Heart Stopper? Really?
CM Punk's current creative direction

Entropia

No One Remembers
http://legitshook.com presents:

The Hot/Cold List

HOT

Miz's Dad's indifference
Stephanie McMahon
The Big Show (seriously!)
The American Dream, if you wheel
Heyman's taking Ryback to elevate him

LUKEWARM

Candy corn
Spinebusters in the NFL
Bully Ray's Contract

COLD

Natalya's in-ring work :(
The Heart Stopper? Really?
CM Punk's current creative direction

You serious bro? Shit is as cold as Frankman's heart.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It was weird, the audience kept trying to summon him from his pocket dimension in that final segment, but instead they got the undercard superfriends.

How much more cold can his creative direction get? Yeesh. They can heat him up at the drop of a hat though.

I was ready to hate RAW after the shit-show on Sunday but I ended up finding just about everything on the show entertaining. I was an idiot for doubting Ryback being paired with Heyman, Heyman can make anything work as long as he's with somebody he can play off. The Bryan Trips segment was great in it's ludicrousness, Bryan shouting that Randy was knocked out with no mic and Trips totally ignoring it as if nobody could hear really made the whole thing work, then Orton's actually being built up as a threat himself as opposed to somebody who solely relies on other. Then adding to the ludicrous evilness of the corporation Dusty's choice into Big Show's mercy killing was fun to watch because it was so over the top.

Now I just need Cesaro pushed so that he's in 20 minute singles matches on RAW and some of the NXT girls to be called up so AJ has somebody competent to work with as opposed the women screaming "You're jealous that you're not in a shitty reality show!" to a woman who gained a championship in 1 year that Nat couldn't get in 5 despite still calling herself a champion. Sure, AJ's the one that's acting jealous Nat.

Kaladin

For me, the undercard needs a lot of work. There are a lot of guys that are just collecting paychecks and not really putting much into their wrestling. Even if you're on the undercard, the match should be exciting beyond popping for seeing the wrestlers performing. Get rid of The Great Khali, Tons of Funk and and any other jabroni that can't work at the rate WWE is getting known for now....plenty of guys out there to take their spots.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For me, the undercard needs a lot of work. There are a lot of guys that are just collecting paychecks and not really putting much into their wrestling. Even if you're on the undercard, the match should be exciting beyond popping for seeing the wrestlers performing. Get rid of The Great Khali, Tons of Funk and and any other jabroni that can't work at the rate WWE is getting known for now....plenty of guys out there to take their spots.

I hate to say this but Tons of Funk are in a golden spot and will not be removed, they are capable of doing a lot and do a lot outside of the show itself. Whether it's heating up the crowd, or putting smiles on little bastards' faces, they absolutely have a huge role in WWE and what it is. :(

Poor Giant Bernard!

Ithil

Tensai is pretty good though, given his size and age. Brodus is terrible.

Sokantish

I hate to say this but Tons of Funk are in a golden spot and will not be removed, they are capable of doing a lot and do a lot outside of the show itself. Whether it's heating up the crowd, or putting smiles on little bastards' faces, they absolutely have a huge role in WWE and what it is. :(

Poor Giant Bernard!

You don't think he enjoys the easy money?

Brodus sure... but are you saying Giant Fuckin' Bernard can't work?

And Khali... something something fans in India (though I would push Jinder into this role more as the dude can actually speak three languages rather than just mumble in one).

Usos are at least finally getting to a point where it's worth watching more than just their entrance.

EDIT: I see we're all on the same page on the Tensai front. (haha multilingual puns)

Kaladin

Brodus sure... but are you saying Giant Fuckin' Bernard can't work?

And Khali... something something fans in India (though I would push Jinder into this role more as the dude can actually speak three languages rather than just mumble in one).

Usos are at least finally getting to a point where it's worth watching more than just their entrance.

EDIT: I see we're all on the same page on the Tensai front. (haha multilingual puns)

Tensai can be good, but he hasn't been that great since coming to WWE.....mostly collecting a paycheck. Now, if they allow him to be good....yeah, I'm all for it...but currently? Eh. I could care less about Tensai.

sajj316

I like the Ryback vest .. love that Heyman is with him. Love Heyman. Heyman Loves Ryback. Reactions and facial expressions were gold. Almost genuine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously if WWE is in my town and does a Tons of Funk signing, I am SO THERE so I can gush to Tensai about his work in Japan.

Toki767

I think the only thing I came away with last night from watching Raw is that no likes the Miz except for his mom. You had a dozen guys come in to save Bryan and no one cared the Miz.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think the only thing I came away with last night from watching Raw is that no likes the Miz except for his mom. You had a dozen guys come in to save Bryan and no one cared the Miz.

That is what we in The Business™ call a worked shoot

Kaladin

So is this the second year in a row they have given the Bound For Glory series to someone whose contract has been nearly up? Is that how TNA is booking their biggest event of the year now?

Toki767

Last year I think Jeff Hardy was renegotiating and they gave him BFG as part of the deal.

Edit: Yep....there were articles in September about a possible return to WWE for Jeff Hardy.

Yeah, which is silly because I don't think Hardy even cared about being the champion. Just like Styles probably doesn't care anymore either.

Top Bottom