• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

Forkball

Summerslam 2013 was down 60,000 buys compared to last year.

Summerslam 2014 preshow: Daniel Bryan vs. JTG for the Cruiserweight Championship

hey, Bootaaay, the only thing worse than your gore gifs is West Ham's performance this season!

don't hurt me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTTTPoxD1N4

Early days yet, my friend. Just got to ride it out until Carroll's back from injury. Maybe if we had millions to splash around we wouldn't be in this predicament, but it's always the financial aspect fans of big clubs take for granted. Mostly why I don't bother with FootyGAF that much, too many top 6 supporters living in their little SkySports wankfest bubbles.

Hasney

Just saw this topic posted elsewhere and thought it would be worth a discussion, especially seeing as the place I stole it from is only WWE really, so it would be nice to see some ideas from outside of there since that's all I'm really exposed to at the minute too:

FAVOURITE REVERSALS

Here's a couple that I love:

SdZ2R.gif

Sweet Chin Music off of a springboard

Karl Anderson reversing a exploder suplex into a Gun Stun;

iblptJUUuZV8HQ.gif

Out of all the dudes with a cutter as their finish, Anderson is probably the best as hitting his 'out of nowhere' since DDP.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sunflower, friend, i know the answer but do you enjoy soul sucking KOs that turn folks into corpses mixed with hilarious Russian commentary?

http://youtu.be/MRoiv9BAA9o?t=2m45s

:D

aahahahahahah glorious

That look on his face after, so good. Was waiting for Shang Tsung to enter the ring and take it from him. So good! And that commentary is so fantastic. Man, the last great bad MMA I watched from Russia was where the dudes came out of a cargo boat. I need to get back on the Russian scene, so fantastic.

As far as favorite reversals go, I'm probably going to have to give it to DDP. Stro's gifs are the proof that is in the pudding for that.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Monday Nitro 1/4/99

I just SWERVED all you marks! It's a new year. Kevin Nash is the WCW Champion after much interference. In order to prove himself as a true champion, he offered Goldberg a rematch tonight in the home base of the Georgia Dome. The last time they were in the Georgia Dome, Goldberg defeated Hollywood Hogan to win the WCW Championship. Will lightning strike twice? Ric Flair is officially in charge starting tonight. Hollywood Hogan will be on hand to make his first appearance since announcing his retirement.

TO THE NITRO PARTY. We got to meet the grand prize winner, who got to have a Nitro Party AT Nitro.

Glacier vs Hugh Morrus

Lol. What a way to start the year off. In the last month, WCW ran the Astro Dome, TWA Dome, and Georgia Dome, which means over 100,000 people in just 3 Nitros. Hugh has shaved his head and still looks like a fat ass. This is like the battle of the giant knee braces. Hugh accidentally nails Jimmy Hart. He lariatoos Glacier and hits the moonsault for the win.

TO THE BACK. Arn Anderson and the Flair family arrive in their limo and are walked into the building. BUT WHO WAS LIMO?!?

TO THE MEAN BY GOD GENE. The Flairs, Arn, and rest of the Horsemen come to the ring. Ric thanks the fans for their support. He believes WCW to be the best wrestling promotion in the world, but a tyrant has been running it for five years now. He demands Eric Bischoff come to the ring. Instead of firing Eric, he's making him Tony Schiavone's assistant. Lol. His second order of business is rehiring Randy "Pee Wee" Anderson at double the salary. Next, he's removing nWo branding from PPV events and then books himself in a handicap match against Curt Hennig and Barry Windham at Souled Out. David Flair wants to be his dad's partner. Ric says he's not ready, but Arn convinces him that David know what he's doing.

Booker T. vs Emery Hale

Hale is a big dude. Too bad he sucks and they botch an Irish whip 20 seconds into the match. It makes perfect sense to me that the first gif of the year is a botch. Book hits a spine buster, Harlem side kick, and missile dropkick for a quick win.

il3nddhigW8vN.gif

Bischoff won't get involved in the show. Tony's going to have to have meeting with Flair over this. Tony explains all the producers talking in your head set that tell you to say things you might have already said, but you have to say it anyway.

Norman Smiley vs Chavo Guerrero Jr.

"I never thought I'd say I miss Mike Tenay." I wish Tony got to SHOOT on Tenay on Nitro one night. A dropkick sends Norman to the floor. They fight on the apron until Norman hits a rope stunner. Chavo gets in a series of roll ups, but can't get the win. Dropkick from Norman. He takes time to dance and gets hit with a missile dropkick. Norman tires to dance and falls over. Chavo attempts his springboard bulldog, but slips through the ropes. He wins with a roll up. Norman attacked Chavo after the match.

iHaN4PHH4vSEe.gif

ib1uuwjQ1p4xJ4.gif

Whoreass vs Chris Benoit

Benoit got a jobber entrance. Rolling Reich suplexes early on. Larry suggests if Eric won't do his job, perhaps they should put him on the international shows. Whoreass suplexes Benoit to the floor and comes back with a suicide dive that sends Benoit spine first into the corner of the guard rail. Superplex from Benoit. Diving headbutt. Not sure if it hit or not. It looked like it did, but he and the announcers sold it as if he didn't. Whoreass nails a should breaker, but Benoit locks on the Iron Crossface for the win.

iQlCsOf4PmZPz.gif

TO THE BACK. Police say they have a warrant for Goldberg's arrest. Goldberg says that's bullshit because he only does positive things for the community. He says no one can arrest him for something he didn't do. No one explains what it is the warrant is for. Goldberg just repeats that he's innocent and no one can take him to the station. The police just repeat that they have a warrant for his arrest. He's been arrested! Kevin Nash almost gets arrested arguing with police over it. Hulk Hogan happened to be outside and was laughing because he's a politician and appreciates people doing their job. We see a brief shot of Liz talking to investigators.

Saturn vs Chris Jericho

Jericho gets a slap in the mouth. Right in the kisser. After much stalling, a belly to belly happens. Kick combo in the corner. Jericho comes back with a triangle dropkick. He does a knee drop off the apron and a snap suplex on the floor as we go to break. We come back to see Saturn locking on a sleeper and getting suplexed out of it. Stalling vertical suplex. Gargoyle suplex. Jericho misses a spin kick picked up for the the DVD. He slides out and instead is dropped with a t-bone. The ref gets pulled in the way of a Saturn springboard. Lowblow, Lionsault, and Liontamer. The ref immediately calls for the bell, although it isn't clear what the result is. Jericho wins! This is the 4th or 5th time Scott Dickinson has had a questionable finish to a Saturn match.

TO THE POLICE STATION.
Goldberg is being booked. He's been charged with aggravated stalking of Liz.

TO THE NITRO PARTY
. Guys are thumb wrestling. None of these guys seem to care that Goldberg has been arrested. In fact, one dude said his favorite part of the show was when Goldberg went to jail.

TO THE BACK. A detective is talking with Liz. She claims that he follows her everywhere she goes. Such as Monday Nitro and PPV events.

TO THE LWO. We see the LWO partying with mamacitas and low riders. Basically, Eddie steals all of the girls. This is so weird. It's a full blown mini movie in the vein of the early 90s stuff. Eddie also takes the best cards and money in poker, and basically just pisses off the whole group. It was strange.

iAq0BfuqONUUx.gif

Kidman/Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Psychosis/Juventud Guerrera

This is a tornado tag, I believe. Or maybe not, since they start with just Kidman and Hypnosis in the ring. Even though Tony said all four would be in the ring at the same time. And there are tags, so whatever. Wheelbarrow bulldog is countered into an atomic drop. Rey gets tagged in and boosts Juvi into a BK Bomb. Juvi comes back with a springboard dropkick that sends Rey to the floor. Hypnosis then does a slingshot leg drop to the floor. Rey tries to fight off both guys, does a tiltawhirl backbraeker to Juvi, but is cut off by Hypno. This match is weird. The heels seem to be arguing for no reason that I can tell, Rey seemed like he got hurt, the crowd doesn't know what to think, and the announcers aren't talking about the match. Kidman gets the hot tag. Double dives from opposite corners. Doomsday Device. Juvi Driver! Kidman breaks up the pin. He accidentally dropkicks Rey. Hypnosis hits the guillotine leg drop for the win.

i3uZE14cXCKAb.gif

ibeSStIrMttGOb.gif

TO THE POLICE STATION. Goldberg explains that he and Liz are booked on the same shows and same hotels by the office. Not only that, the gym that Liz frequents, Goldberg owns. He wants out.

TO THE MEAN GENE. Kevin Nash comes out to respond to what is going on with Goldberg. He doesn't consider his win over Goldberg legitimate. He knows that Hogan is behind these charges. He pleads with Flair to give him a match with Hogan tonight. Flair comes out and agrees to the match.

TO THE BACK.
Liz is still being interviewed. She's starting to crack under the pressure. She claims she was at the Coke machine getting a Diet Pepsi. LIAR. A real detective would have picked up on that immediately.

TO THE MEAN GENE.
Hollywood Hogan makes his first appearance after announcing his retirement on Thanksgiving night. The wrestling world still revolves around Hogan. He was going to announce his running mate tonight, but the negative momentum of this night and the sexual deviant Goldberg just makes him sick. He agrees to the match with Nash as one last retirement match.

EARLIER TODAY. Jericho was talking to Scott Dickinson and convincing him that Saturn should be disqualified if he touched Dickinson.

Scott Steiner vs Konnan WCW TV Championship

No on can censor him. He's out of his mind and he loves it. Buff does a dance but stops because he's just recovering from heart surgery. I don't know if that was a reference to Flair or some local sports guy or what. A new year isn't going to convince me to watch Konnan matches. Buff caused the match to get thrown out. They both beat the shit out of Konnan after the match.

irsmZHKPGsbVm.gif

iUfYr2ddHObmy.gif

Wrath vs Bam Bam Big Yellow

Bischoff finally speaks up to say that Goldberg is jailbait. I also think of Goldberg as a hot 16 year old. Wrath got some promo time, saying he's been on a roll for 6 months and is tired of having no competition. Bam Bam came out. Down goes Bam Bam! It goes to the floor. Wrath goes into the ring post. Wrath backs Bam Bam into the corner and unleashes a series of kicks. Bam Bam catches one, throws him down, and headbutts Wrath in the dick. Back to the floor. They've been on the floor for a good minute and a half. This should be a double count out. Bammmer gets a chair. He was going to powerbomb Wrath on it, but the ref moved it and he got back dropped. Back to the floor again. Fans are getting restless with this shit. Ref gets bumped and the match is finally thrown out, despite them having spend a solid 60% of the match on the floor with no count outs. They continue to brawl to the back.

TO THE BACK. More interrogation with Liz. She's mixing up her stories. Oh shit, one of the detectives brings up the Coke/Pepsi mix up! They have cracked the story and say she will be charged with false informing. It was all a misunderstanding. It wasn't Goldberg at all. There are so many bald headed wrestlers running around that she got confused.

Brian Adams vs DDP

A new year will also not trick me into watching Crush matches. DDP won with a diving Kanyon that didn't look good at all. BANG!

ikxZwybWSDOIv.gif

TO THE POLICE STATION.
Goldberg is headbutting the wall and instead of the police being worried about him injuring himself, they want him to stop so he won't dent the wall. They've figured out Liz was making things up and let him go back to the Georgia Dome, which is conveniently right across the street.

Hollywood Hogan vs Kevin Nash WCW Championship

Steiner came out with Hogan. Scott Hall came out with Nash. Nash shoves Hogan in the corner. Hulk focuses all of the power of Hulkamania into his finger and down goes Nash. NEW CHAMPION! Goldberg arrives too late. All four men celebrate in the ring. Goldberg runs to the ring and takes all four out. As he's about to jackhammer Hogan, Lex Luger attacked him. SWERVES EVERYWHERE. Goldberg is tazed and spray painted while Bischoff makes the most annoying fucking should possible the entire time. The title also gets spray painted, this time in red.

ibhPNcyBmeBsLP.gif

ie5gDXNBj530F.gif

Boy, I'm sure that selling 40,000 tickets with one match being announced, only to not have the match at all, and then have the replacement match be a SWERVE was really endearing to those fans. The official count was 34,788 paid for the show. When they would run the Georgia Dome again in July (and for the last time), attendance would be 19,456 paid. I'm sure this show had nothing to do with a 15,000 paid customer drop off only 7 months later. And I'm sure they enjoyed going to a giant dome show and having at least 40% of the show be interviews and backstage segments with people who have never done backstage segments.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
With Stro swerving WrassleGAF and diving into 1999 WCW I only have one fear on this face - it must be DOUBLY challenging to watch this as he has all the baggage from 1998!

Hasney

Best swerve ever. The fact that 1999 is being recapped, not the fingerpoke.

I actually like Russo's original stab at it up until the new nWo got injury prone. Quite looking forward to reading about it again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
1999 legit had some of my favorite WCW content. Smiley was firing on all cylinders, Steiner's promos went to another level, and the luchadors were going bananas.

G-Fex

1999 legit had some of my favorite WCW content. Smiley was firing on all cylinders, Steiner's promos went to another level, and the luchadors were going bananas.

is that the one where Scott says in his promo that WCW is crap and they should change the channel to watch WWF?

strobogo

Banned

1999 had Blitzkrieg and Spring Stampede 1999, which was better than any show in 1998. And Raven's rich friend, Jim. Not only is WCW my favorite Raven, WCW Sandman is my favorite Sandman.

is that the one where Scott says in his promo that WCW is crap and they should change the channel to watch WWF?

That was in 2000. February, I believe.

Ithil

Just saw this topic posted elsewhere and thought it would be worth a discussion, especially seeing as the place I stole it from is only WWE really, so it would be nice to see some ideas from outside of there since that's all I'm really exposed to at the minute too:

FAVOURITE REVERSALS

Here's a couple that I love:

SdZ2R.gif

Sweet Chin Music off of a springboard

Recently, Cesaro's counter of Sami Zayn's tornado DDT into a Swiss Death. Amazing stuff.

strobogo

Banned
Didnt realize the fiver poke was on the first show on te new year. A sign of things to come

I would consider the show to be the night that WCW found out they had an inoperable brain tumor and could only hope to be comfortable in their waning days. They never won another night in ratings after that. It was over from that night.

Bring Russo in was akin to Walt deciding to cook meth.

The detectives picking up on the Diet Pepsi/Coke thing is the greatest thing EVER

Also damn you Liz, you were evil all along! I bet you really did shack up with Flair that one time

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
legitshook.com has signed a contract with a new talent - reveal will be forthcoming.

I said it before but The WCW reviews should really have a dedicated thread in the OT.

So much effort and they would bring in people for the GIF's alone.

Penguin

I would consider the show to be the night that WCW found out they had an inoperable brain tumor and could only hope to be comfortable in their waning days. They never won another night in ratings after that. It was over from that night.

Bring Russo in was akin to Walt deciding to cook meth.

Didn't see this in your report, but which match/segment did Tony drop the "We understand that Mick Foley will be winning their championship. I bet that puts asses in the seat."?

This is THAT Nitro, right?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a weird slice of "what's popular from WCW" from my WCW Archive channel I ran on youtube (and haven't updated in almost a year, need to try again)

hkSxw5D.png

Hasney

Here's a weird slice of "what's popular from WCW" from my WCW Archive channel I ran on youtube (and haven't updated in almost a year, need to try again)

hkSxw5D.png

I've got some random WCW matches up on Youtube from back when I was watching from the formation of the nWo and got up until the end of 1999 before I decided to give up for my sanity. I personally just love the wonderful comments that pop up in my email now and again when someone decides to watch them and flap their gums about something.

EDIT: Just decided to have a look and got sidetracked by this video of Sid. I loved this version of Sid far more than a man should admit to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEvWlmPMhO8

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I've got some random WCW matches up on Youtube from back when I was watching from the formation of the nWo and got up until the end of 1999 before I decided to give up for my sanity. I personally just love the wonderful comments that pop up in my email now and again when someone decides to watch them and flap their gums about something.

EDIT: Just decided to have a look and got sidetracked by this video of Sid. I loved this version of Sid far more than a man should admit to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEvWlmPMhO8

Sid is also a pop sensation

strobogo

Banned
Didn't see this in your report, but which match/segment did Tony drop the "We understand that Mick Foley will be winning their championship. I bet that puts asses in the seat."?

This is THAT Nitro, right?

It is that Nitro, but it was included on the tape. Most of these have commercials and random recaps cut out. I assume it happened on one of those, unless I missed it.

My thoughts are if I can handle this season of Dexter, I can push through 1999. 1998 was so disappointing because I thought it was going to be good, only for them to SWERVE the fuck out of me on the second half of the year. I know 1999 is bad and therefore my expectations are at zero. I can't be let down.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Karl Anderson is bringing me down, man. Desperately sending Bullet Club shirts to more prestigious wrestlers to desperately try to hawk his bad stable.

It's kind of like when Colt Cabana begs Punk to wear his shirts.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A handful of people here like to make it a no fun zone. So they run to the mods and snitch whenever fun is in the air.

We are the XFL. They are the NFL. Enjoy your rules, snitches. We're out of them chains here and free.

Top Bottom