• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

Dave Meltzer has compiled a list of the biggest draws in WWE history based on gates/ratings the wrestlers drew as main eventers.

1. BRUNO SAMMARTINO

2. HULK HOGAN

3. BOB BACKLUND

4. ARGENTINA ROCCA

5. HHH

6. UNDERTAKER

7. STEVE AUSTIN (Undertaker and HHH have passed him in recent years since he finished his career in 2003. Had he not retired at the age of 38 due to injuries, as well as missed what probably would have been his biggest drawing year in 1999 with neck surgery, he would have been No. 2 on this list by now. Nobody ever in company history was a bigger drawing card or merchandise seller then he was at his peak.)

8. THE ROCK

9. PEDRO MORALES

10. SHAWN MICHAELS

People can hate him all they want, but he has been around for a long time and put on a ton of great matches and has been over with crowds since the late 90's. I am semi joking with this list since it's somewhat old and the way he compiled the rankings without figuring in the number of main events for each person skews the results a bit, but to say HHH was never a draw is a bit silly.

Jamie OD

saw it now, Steph abusing Miz was awesome.

but goddamn it, commentary is at an all-time low. not even JBL can save it.

what happened to announcers having fun on the show, like this:
http://youtu.be/WI9-MHAKPvg?t=1m17s
http://youtu.be/WI9-MHAKPvg?t=3m06s

just watch the whole video, lol.

Dusty, Heenan and Tony losing their damn mind, laughing their asses off. shit, put Dusty on the table with a mic and let magic happen.

Part of the reason is because Vince is on their headsets yelling instructions half the time. He also cuts them off if they bring something up that he doesn't want them to talk about (calling moves, pointing out storyline inconsistencies, etc).

jmdajr

Dave Meltzer has compiled a list of the biggest draws in WWE history based on gates/ratings the wrestlers drew as main eventers.

1. BRUNO SAMMARTINO

2. HULK HOGAN

3. BOB BACKLUND

4. ARGENTINA ROCCA

5. HHH

6. UNDERTAKER

7. STEVE AUSTIN (Undertaker and HHH have passed him in recent years since he finished his career in 2003. Had he not retired at the age of 38 due to injuries, as well as missed what probably would have been his biggest drawing year in 1999 with neck surgery, he would have been No. 2 on this list by now. Nobody ever in company history was a bigger drawing card or merchandise seller then he was at his peak.)

8. THE ROCK

9. PEDRO MORALES

10. SHAWN MICHAELS

People can hate him all they want, but he has been around for a long time and put on a ton of great matches and has been over with crowds since the late 90's. I am semi joking with this list since it's somewhat old and the way he compiled the rankings without figuring in the number of main events for each person skews the results a bit, but to say HHH was never a draw is a bit silly.

tumblr_inline_ml646iEhvX1qz4rgp_zpse5560a30.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure about the timeframe but I think Stro will be hitting the La Cucaracha angle which was absolute gold. Loved that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
i'm ready for West Texas Rednecks and Curly Bill but that's after the summer months i think.

Great stuff, it's a shame how much Master P brought it all down but if you view it with a flipped perspective (those dirty thugs are coming to ruin our good ole boys' fun!) it is good.

Part of the reason is because Vince is on their headsets yelling instructions half the time. He also cuts them off if they bring something up that he doesn't want them to talk about (calling moves, pointing out storyline inconsistencies, etc).

This makes no goddamn sense to me, why would he take issue with this

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sunflower: Not racist

To be perfectly honest most of the crowds of that era...agreed with Sunflower. It didn't help that Master P was a relative nobody then.

Rap is Crap was on rotation on numerous country/western stations in 1999 and 2000. I was legit shook when driving on my first ever road trip through the south I heard it while tuning the dial. Not as shook when it happened the second and third time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
To be perfectly honest most of the crowds of that era...agreed with Sunflower. It didn't help that Master P was a relative nobody then.

Rap is Crap was on rotation on numerous country/western stations in 1999 and 2000. I was legit shook when driving on my first ever road trip through the south I heard it while tuning the dial. Not as shook when it happened the second and third time.

Depends on the location really. Master P had already hit Make Em Say Ugh and was selling millions at that point, which is why he was able to have the deal he had (and get one for Big Swole) but knowing where WCW ran most of their shows, the crowd sure as shit turned on them and supported the West Texas Rednecks, which even to this day I still giggle about how a man from Minnesota was in that.

That's really the Curse of Mr. Perfect. He was perfect, and made a perfect country song.

BTW speaking of country-ass people, Sandmeng, I know you know this dude, but I was thrilled as fuck to hear Jesco White as the DJ for Outlaw Radio. I love that dude, he's so fucking nuts.

strobogo

Banned
Only WCW would bring in a big group of black rappers who make fun of rednecks as faces while running shows in heavily redneck areas. Made no god damn sense. Still makes no god damn sense.

Not heard of them but I pulled up what they had on Spotify and~

Good stuff so far.

make sure you check out Todd Hall-era BS (the last 2 albums, Land of the Dead and Defiance). dude's the best "hidden" metal vocalist i've ever heard, one of the best.

he sings in another band of old school US metal, Reverence, just a bunch of mid-40s guys having fun and recording ultra low budget videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjZ9QOKzGVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mHnCiHtl0A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4GzT_geBKM

West Texas Rednecks...with Curt Hennig, from Minneapolis Minnesota, at their leader

Master P and co being a face group while the West Texas Rednecks were heels...in the south

SWOLE

BRAD ARMSTRONG (or whatever his rap name was)

jmdajr

So I guess RAW ratings were not great, but main event still scored the highest.

I'll still take that over predictable Cena-ness, but I'm sure Vince can't wait to have him back.

jred2k

Peyton Manning was playing in the MNF game. I think low ratings are to be expected.

This from SmackDown sounds incredible, by the way:
Heath Slater with 3MB vs. Santino with Great Khali and Hornswoggle. Santino goes for the Cobra but Jinder Mahal pulls out a FLUTE and ties to charm it. Khali then pulls one out and attempt to charm the cobra. The Cobra goes back and forth. Hornswoggle finally steals Mahal's flute, allowing Khali to charm the cobra into striking Slater. Santino wins

jmdajr

I think they said last weeks MNF ratings were the same. It's all to be expected really.

edit: I like how Wrestlezone called him Payton

strobogo

Banned
Sounds like the best finish to a WWE match in years.

Also, fuck Peyton Manning. As a Hooiser, I got so god damn sick of the news talking about him year round for a decade. He was like the only person who mattered in the entire state. His stupid voice and stupid head. I thought it'd be great that he went to Denver, but local news STILL talks about him regularly.

jmdajr

Sounds like the best finish to a WWE match in years.

Also, fuck Peyton Manning. As a Hooiser, I got so god damn sick of the news talking about him year round for a decade. He was like the only person who mattered in the entire state. His stupid voice and stupid head. I thought it'd be great that he went to Denver, but local news STILL talks about him regularly.

Sure was fun losing to him for almost a decade straight. :\

Texans 4 wins Colts 18 wins

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta figure out something to be angry about today. I'm thinking the manbabies in their early 20s who are happy that they can still be considered 'teenagers' because they have no concept of responsibility and accountability.

Those fucks.

jmdajr

I gotta figure out something to be angry about today. I'm thinking the manbabies in their early 20s who are happy that they can still be considered 'teenagers' because they have no concept of responsibility and accountability.

Those fucks.

Yeah I bet they play videogames too!

Actually got to play videogames last night. Galaga Legions DX

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww snap

- Bo Dallas and Sami Zayn worked a dark match prior to last night's WWE Main Event tapings. They were on the losing end of a match against Tons of Funk. According to the report, Dallas came out to little reaction, while Zayn received "ole" chants.

DMczaf

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww snap

- Bo Dallas and Sami Zayn worked a dark match prior to last night's WWE Main Event tapings. They were on the losing end of a match against Tons of Funk. According to the report, Dallas came out to little reaction, while Zayn received "ole" chants.

Wow, the anticipation for the arrival of Los Matadores is insane.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww snap

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

where is your god now you fucking smarks

BO DALLAS ASCENDS TO THE INDIE HEAVENS

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Los Matadores are the only team that can counter the Shield/Kaitlyn. They'll dodge every single spear attempt

Jamie OD

What if Los Matadores turned out to be the Rhodes in disguise? It's about time WWE re-did the Edge & Christian Los Conquistadores gimmick God damn it!

strobogo

Banned

Those fucks.

You can be mad about the terrible and dangerous form in the Cross Fit thread.

strobogo

Banned
I don't even lift and the form made me angry and sad. Even if you've never lifted, it's instinctual to have whatever you're lifting be as balanced and even as possible. It could be a box. A case of Coke. A TV. Anything. I see pictures of people lifting completely off balance in stance, posture, and hands and can't understand how that happens. That's something you'd have to try to get that bad.

I mean, I've had periods of lifting every day and even on my first day I figured out you can't lift shit in weird stances with half the bar tilted to one side.

Skimming through that Georgia set I got and found this Hansen match from 1979 when he was Ole Anderson's tag partner - here he defends the TV title against Killer Karl Kox, a mean, tough old bastard with a vicious right hand, who at this time was in the employ of 'Pretty Boy' Bobby Heenan. Stan has the size advantage and youth on his size, but Karl is a crafty competitor not above taking a short-cut to victory. Fun little match with a real wild finish, worth a watch;

Stan Hansen (c) vs Killer Karl Kox - Georgia TV Championship - (GCW 10/27/79)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Skimming through that Georgia set I got and found this Hansen match from 1979 when he was Ole Anderson's tag partner - here he defends the TV title against Killer Karl Kox, a mean, tough old bastard with a vicious right hand, who is currently in the employ of 'Pretty Boy' Bobby Heenan. Stan has the size advantage and youth on his size, but Karl is a crafty competitor not above taking a short-cut to victory. Fun little match with a real wild finish, worth a watch;

Stan Hansen (c) vs Killer Karl Kox - Georgia TV Championship - (GCW 10/27/79)

Excellent, thanks for ripping this. Got my lunchtime video sorted!

Top Bottom