• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

strobogo

Banned
He got fired due to the Plane Ride From Hell that also got Goldust and Hennig fired, plus Flair sued and Michael Hayes' mullet cut.

Penguin

He got fired due to the Plane Ride From Hell that also got Goldust and Hennig fired, plus Flair sued and Michael Hayes' mullet cut.

Ahh thanks for that!

Also catching up on your recaps, did I miss it.. or did the WCW Champion not appear at Fall Brawl at all?

strobogo

Banned
Nope, no Goldberg at all for Fall Brawl. Really surprised they didn't run Goldberg vs Giant at least. There were a few PPVs towards the beginning of the year that didn't have the WCW Champion on them as well. For the first two, there wasn't a champion anyway, but there were at least two shows while Hogan was champ that he didn't defend on or even be in a tag match. Really weird.

Alucard

Banned
Nope, no Goldberg at all for Fall Brawl. Really surprised they didn't run Goldberg vs Giant at least. There were a few PPVs towards the beginning of the year that didn't have the WCW Champion on them as well. For the first two, there wasn't a champion anyway, but there were at least two shows while Hogan was champ that he didn't defend on or even be in a tag match. Really weird.

Doing what's right for business!

Wait, what?!

Hall specifically got fired for passing out backstage during a UK PPV. His fate was already sealed before the Plane Ride from Hell the next day. They came back. He did Raw and was fired. I remember the last Raw he did was the first Raw after they changed the name to WWE.

So I didn't see anybody talk about this match but Cesaro and Ziggler had a great match on Superstars last week. Hopefully Cesaro gets a push soon he really needs to get elevated from the tag division/Main Event/Superstars. Also Justin Gabriel teamed with the Usos, had face paint on and Uso type gear it was weird

23adba63ced11b207ce35a93342adf23.gif

82e02641f7b17b5730c9476f7a6470e8.gif

6f9e372e7e7bb762c1a1a479bb22a7f2.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Scott Hall drunk angle that happened inbetween two DUI incidents on two consecutive shows might be the most distasteful gimmick ever run on any US wrestling show.

I think there's an upcoming episode where Kevin Nash goes and finds him at a local bar and beats the shit out of him.

Can't believe Nash agreed to do any of that shit either.

wcw1998.tumblr.com

JoJo comes to the ring and asks for Arn Anderson to come out. They're both in tuxes. JoJo had a private conversation with Arn apologizing for what happened the last time they were in a ring together. Arn says that JoJo was right. Tonight is a rebirth of the Four Horsemen. Arn gives a history lesson and has to bow out for Flair chants. He brings out Mongo, Benoit, and Malenko. This is so awesome. The crowd is fucking HYPED, the house lights are down, and the ring is basically lit by spotlight. This feels like such a HUGE deal. Arn then brings out Ric Flair! A fucking GOD in Greenville. This is great. Ric is weepy eyed right away. This reaction is pretty amazing. After getting his weepy thank yous to the crowd out, he goes CRAZY on Bischoff, talking about what Bischoff did to the Horsemen and Ric Flair. Bischoff comes out with no music or nWo gear. "You're an asshole! That's right, you're an overbearing ASS..." ABUSE OF POWER. ABUSE OF POWER. "You are a no good son of a bitch!" "FIRE ME! I'M ALREADY FIRED! FIRE ME! I'M ALREADY FIRED!"

iEfnMRqFzzd44.gif

ibh2qNLvywXLUt.gif

This might be the single greatest segment in WCW history. Everything about it was perfect. The crowd reactions, Flair's reaction, the emotion. If you watch that and don't get goosebumps or get misty, you have no business watching pro wrestling. So good that I'll actually link the whole segment because if you haven't seen it, you must. And if you have seen it, you have to watch it again.

I get feels everytime, and my only exposure to the Horsemen were from WCW 1997-Death.

Michael Elgin vs. Rich Swann

Kevin Steen vs. Chuck Taylor

Johnny Gargano vs. Willie Mack

Kyle O'Reilly vs. Trent?

Joey Ryan vs. Drake Younger

ACH vs. Anthony Nese

Brian Cage vs. Tommaso Ciampa

AR Fox vs. Roderick Strong

Adam Cole & The Young Bucks vs. TJ Perkins & Forever Hooligans
Awesome card there. I'm a Willie Mack fan

Edgeward

Fun match between Sami and Swagger. Shit ending but it moves the story forward.

Watching last week's Superstars. Jesus fuck, this redhead is the announcer and she is just shrieking out people's names

Aiii

So not worth it
So I didn't see anybody talk about this match but Cesaro and Ziggler had a great match on Superstars last week. Hopefully Cesaro gets a push soon he really needs to get elevated from the tag division/Main Event/Superstars. Also Justin Gabriel teamed with the Usos, had face paint on and Uso type gear it was weird.

So I didn't see anybody talk about this match but Cesaro and Ziggler had a great match on Superstars last week.

had a great match on Superstars last week.

Superstars

Toki767

Watching this week's NXT. I swear I get so bored every time the Ascension is on my screen. They have a big size and that's pretty much it. Connor O' Brien was more interesting when his gimmick was being a rat.

Aiii

So not worth it
According to this weeks observer, Naito attended SummerSlam.

---
About TNA:
There are all kinds of questions being asked, as the situation is feeling similar to ECW at the end. A lot of people are late on pay, or at least were as of TV, particularly on the production side. That, combined with Dixie Carter not being at the taping (she went to the Vanderbilt vs. Mississippi football game) led to all kinds of questions being asked regarding the future.

And about the BFG series:
Jay Bradley was given a win that as best I can tell, never took place. On the first show, he was listed with seven points even though he hadn’t won a match. He was put in what was called a BFG series match on Xplosion taped after he was listed with seven points, but it was against Eric Young, and it makes perfect sense a Bradley vs. Young match would be a BFG series match given Young wasn’t in the series. But then, Young won and Bradley got seven points.
lol.

Just under an hour until New Japan - who's watching?

NJPW, "ROAD TO DESTRUCTION", 2013.07.05
Korakuen Hall

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw

01. Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) vs Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu
02. Yuji Nagata & Takaaki Watanabe vs CHAOS (Takashi Iizuka & YOSHI-HASHI)
03. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Tiger Mask & Manabu Nakanishi vs BULLET CLUB (Karl Anderson, Tama Tonga & Rey Bucanero)
04. Togi Makabe & Captain New Japan vs BULLET CLUB (Prince Devitt & Bad Luck Fale)
05. Special Elimination Tag: CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Toru Yano, Tomohiro Ishii & Jado) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Shelton 'X' Benjamin, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
06. Special Elimination Tag: Satoshi Kojima, Tetsuya Naito, Tomoaki Honma & BUSHI vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Masato Tanaka, Yujiro Takahashi & Gedo)

Aiii

So not worth it
I'll catch it later, can't work and follow NJPW without commentary, need to keep my eyes on the match all the time.

tm24

Just under an hour until New Japan - who's watching?

NJPW, "ROAD TO DESTRUCTION", 2013.07.05
Korakuen Hall

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw

01. Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) vs Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu
02. Yuji Nagata & Takaaki Watanabe vs CHAOS (Takashi Iizuka & YOSHI-HASHI)
03. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Tiger Mask & Manabu Nakanishi vs BULLET CLUB (Karl Anderson, Tama Tonga & Rey Bucanero)
04. Togi Makabe & Captain New Japan vs BULLET CLUB (Prince Devitt & Bad Luck Fale)
05. Special Elimination Tag: CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Toru Yano, Tomohiro Ishii & Jado) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Shelton 'X' Benjamin, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
06. Special Elimination Tag: Satoshi Kojima, Tetsuya Naito, Tomoaki Honma & BUSHI vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Masato Tanaka, Yujiro Takahashi & Gedo)

Dammit, Nakamura should be in the last tag match. BUSHI needs his revenge!

Hasney

Just finished watching yesterdays NXT and for the most part, it was a pretty meh show compared to some of the more recent ones. The Zain/Swagger main event made up for everything else though. Zain needs to be called up to the main roster as soon as possible. Was thinking he could be called up as a team with Adrian Neville to start as that would work nicely.

Pretty average first half to the New Japan show, really enjoyed seeing the young lions in action though - Komatsu was very impressive in the opener against TIME SPLITTERS, while Watanabe showed some fire in his tag match teaming with Nagata against CHAOS. The two Bullet Club matches were fine, but I'm getting kinda tired of seeing Devitt kill Captain New Japan over and over and over, lol. Also, just before intermission
Bruce Tharpe-des and 'Iron Man' Rob Conway appeared on screen to announce the next challenger for the NWA Heavyweight Title; Jushin 'Thunder' Liger
!

Mengetsu

Lol just heard an ad on the radio at work that there's gonna be a Raw house show in Brooklyn and JTG is gonna get a title shot for the IC title. That home field advantage :lol

lol @ this. Was there a build I missed?

Not really,
Bruce Tharpe-des, president of the NWA, & Rob Conway have been showing up with no explanation since April and challenging people to take on Conway for the NWA title. It's pretty random, but I like Bruce Tharpe-des. He's a fun villain

Not really,
Bruce Tharpe-des, president of the NWA, & Rob Conway have been showing up with no explanation since April and challenging people to take on Conway for the NWA title. It's pretty random, but I like Bruce Tharpe-des. He's a fun villain

Rob Conway still wrestles? HOLY SHIT

Yeah, I really enjoyed that, totally forgot about the over the top rope elimination stipulation in New Japan's elimination matches, though.

This main event should be awesome. Masato Tanaka is awesome.

Yeah, especially that main event, great fun. I'm really looking forward to the Destruction PPV now, Kojima vs Okada and Naito vs Tanaka should both be great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
JoJo comes to the ring and asks for Arn Anderson to come out. They're both in tuxes. JoJo had a private conversation with Arn apologizing for what happened the last time they were in a ring together. Arn says that JoJo was right. Tonight is a rebirth of the Four Horsemen. Arn gives a history lesson and has to bow out for Flair chants. He brings out Mongo, Benoit, and Malenko. This is so awesome. The crowd is fucking HYPED, the house lights are down, and the ring is basically lit by spotlight. This feels like such a HUGE deal. Arn then brings out Ric Flair! A fucking GOD in Greenville. This is great. Ric is weepy eyed right away. This reaction is pretty amazing. After getting his weepy thank yous to the crowd out, he goes CRAZY on Bischoff, talking about what Bischoff did to the Horsemen and Ric Flair. Bischoff comes out with no music or nWo gear. "You're an asshole! That's right, you're an overbearing ASS..." ABUSE OF POWER. ABUSE OF POWER. "You are a no good son of a bitch!" "FIRE ME! I'M ALREADY FIRED! FIRE ME! I'M ALREADY FIRED!"

Bar none, this was the MOST popular video (not even a question) on my WCW Archive stuff back when I was maintaining it. It blew everything else away.

Jamie OD

NJPW needs a toyline.

There used to be a series of mini figurines that were made for the entire puroresu landscape but they stopped making them around 2006-ish. I got a bunch over the years and would love to see them return for the current generation.

HNI_0013.jpg

HNI_0007.jpg

HNI_0004.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo quality. They were taken years ago on a DSi.

Top Bottom