• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

Laserfrog

The WWE Championship is the champion of WWE, but the World Heavyweight Championship is the champion of the world. I don't get it.

G-Fex

The WWE Championship is the champion of WWE, but the World Heavyweight Championship is the champion of the world. I don't get it.

World = Big

WWE Universe = Bigger

I wonder if Doctor Who would ever visit the WWE Universe, truly it'd be a horrifying Universe for the Doctor to brave through.

Let's hope the Tardis never lands there.

TNA = TOTAL NONSTOP INSTALLATION

Entropia

No One Remembers
Unpopular opinion time:

I don't think Owen Hart should have been world champion. He was upper midcard level at his best. I'm sorry, because I know you all will crucify me for saying this, but I think by the time he started the Blue Blazer gimmick again until his death, well, that was on the downward trend of his career. Even the nugget stuff.

I think in the mid-90's he could've credibly been in the Main Event/WWF Title scene. Like 94-96 would've been perfect for him.

pants

All this Jake Roberts talk.

In retrospect, which WWF (WWF wrestlers only!) deserved a world title win the most, in retrospect? Was it Jake? Was it Perfect? Or was it someone else?
Bulldog, Perfect, Bam Bam, Jesse Ventura, Hardcore Holly? (Are we talking deserve as in was super over/hated or worked super hard for the company)

If we are just talking would've been great then Shinzaki Kensuke (Hakushi) (Yes seriously)

Anth0ny

Such bullshit too. I mean I can only blame the WWE for that mindset but the World Heavyweight Championship has always been prettier and more prestigious to me. :/

It definitely looks nicer, but I wouldn't mind if they retire it and turn it into Intercontinental. The four guys who will fight til the end of time (Sheamus, Del Rio, Orton, Ziggler) are Intercontinental tier at this point.

World Heavyweight=Intercontinental
Intercontinental=European
USA=Light Heavyweight? lol

fuck those titles mean nothing... what are they thinking?

VoxPop

Bulldog, Perfect, Bam Bam, Jesse Ventura, Hardcore Holly? (Are we talking deserve as in was super over/hated or worked super hard for the company)

If we are just talking would've been great then Shinzaki Kensuke (Hakushi) (Yes seriously)

tumblr_m97s7j8OCB1rucdl9.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think in the mid-90's he could've credibly been in the Main Event/WWF Title scene. Like 94-96 would've been perfect for him.

He could have, yeah. Under Bret's shadow though, man. Even though they put on amazing matches when they did butt heads, I don't think he ever really stood a chance with Bret as their guy.

Well they should call it the WWE Universe Championship the damn chumps.

Also I made a video but it's not about wrestling, it's about Sleeping Dogs!
http://youtu.be/P1ItbjLDUKs

I will be tweeting this video because it IS good.

His WM match with Bret was awesome. IMO he did all them gimmick characters just to get out of Bret's shadow. It was prob hard being a bro to a legend. Cody is trying his best for a while to being his own thang instead of being Dusty's kid.

IMO

Like I said above, totally. Total agreement. Which is a shame - they had a real good chance with the Black Hart stuff but didn't follow through enough.

Never really thought of Bam Bam, he could have been excellent as a title-holder. Reign of terror.

For some reason I feel like Raw's on tonight. It doesn't feel like it's only been 2 days, feels like it's been a week. This is what happens when Raw is really good, you start missing it and anticipating the next one greatly. New avatar, by the way.

All this Jake Roberts talk.

In retrospect, which WWF (WWF wrestlers only!) deserved a world title win the most, in retrospect? Was it Jake? Was it Perfect? Or was it someone else?

I would say that Ted DiBiase deserved it the most. Henning deserved to win a world title too, but at least he got his hands on the Intercontinental Title, back when it was important. The Million Dollar Championship was novel, but IMO DiBiase shouldn't have been limited to only that during his tenure in the WWF. Likewise, Roberts should have had more gold than a short stint with a stolen Million Dollar Championship, although he had title reigns in other federations.

I am surprised that the WWF passed over Paul Orndorff in the early '80s, though. I mean, he's the type of guy that they'd kill to have now: a charismatic bodybuilder that was great on the mic and in the ring. He was used to build up Hogan, but as far as I know that's as far as he got before he had that weightlifting injury that messed up his arm. I don't know much about wrestling in the '80s, but I think that injury held him back some.

Entropia

No One Remembers

So much truth right there. Dude deserved it so bad.

Why is a pic of me in my skivvies Heavy's avatar? :\

strobogo

Banned
I think Owen should have had a month or two long reign after Montreal. That was the point it made the most sense for him to win it. I don't think he should have won the belt at any point during the Bret feud. While I think Owen was better, Bret was a better champion carrying a company type. Owen wasn't the world champion kind of guy. He was the awesome guy who made the champions look great.

Perfect should have had the title in 1990. I'd even argue that while he was IC Champion, he was booked to be the top guy in the ring and more important than the WWF Championship. He was the best, was booked as the best, and was acknowledged as the best. I don't think Ted needed the belt. Nor did Rude. But really up until Yoko, WWF didn't do heel champions. Superstar was a heel, but he was pretty unique. He was probably the first tweener. But heel champions were just used as transitional champions. He held the belt for under a year sandwiched in between Bruno having held the belt for 3 years and Mr. Backlund nearly 6. In fact, I think Billy Graham is the longest reigning heel champion WWE has ever had. Even during HHH's reign of terror, he didn't have a single run as champion that was as long as SBG's.

WWE has always been a face oriented company, unlike the NWA/JCP/WCW which was clearly heel dominated. Those guys couldn't get the title because that wasn't how the company was run. But if we're talking about guys who should have had a run at the belt, The Big Boss Man was as over as anyone after his face turn. I think he could have easily filled Hogan's role after Warrior's run.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Laser! Check your PMs. I'm sittin' on that post.

Real talk: I'd put the NXT title above the US Title.

I'm willing to wait and see what Cesaro can do with it. Now that Santino is disposed of the possibilities sort of open up.

Having said that, I'd put the NXT Title over a hell of a lot of titles as it exists in the most competitive division in NA wrestling. IC/US title are hot potatoes. ROH has maybe 1 or 2 guys that could be considered a threat but still they're laughably less important than Steen (unless they bring back Generico ffs), but PWG does have a few challengers ready. For whatever reason Kingston seems to be their pick for face of Chikara... whatever. WWE/WHC have very few credible threats right now, but Cena or Dolph have a realistic shot at their respective championships, Del Rio does not. I don't even think TNA has a pool of serious contenders to their title as NXT does, but that one is the most debatable.

*Should be noted that I don't watch DGUSA yet.

Jesse Ventura is a good pick. But I'd put guys like Piper, Roberts, maybe even Steamboat well ahead of Holly.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I would say that Ted DiBiase deserved it the most. Henning deserved to win a world title too, but at least he got his hands on the Intercontinental Title, back when it was important. The Million Dollar Championship was novel, but IMO DiBiase shouldn't have been limited to only that during his tenure in the WWF. Likewise, Roberts should have had more gold than a short stint with a stolen Million Dollar Championship, although he had title reigns in other federations.

This is the correct answer. Ted DiBiase is one of the greatest heels in history, they should have given him the belt. His segment with the little kid dribbling the basketball alone is one of the greatest dick moves in wrestling history. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwoQ2b3k8Uo for whoever is unfamiliar with it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is the correct answer. Ted DiBiase is one of the greatest heels in history, they should have given him the belt. His segment with the little kid dribbling the basketball alone is one of the greatest dick moves in wrestling history. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwoQ2b3k8Uo for whoever is unfamiliar with it.

This is the segment that made me want to be Ted DiBiase when I grow up. I still retain his affinity for wood grain paneling.

Top Bottom