• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

Aiii

So not worth it
Nah man I get it, expenses and what not.

I'm not bothered, I'm hardly free any weekend this month so I won't be anywhere near the top at any rate.

Great contest though, props to the sandman.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I've been watching the new collection of ECW on netflix instant, and I can't help but notice how much Shane Douglas is in it. I've always wondered, why did Heyman push The Franchise so hard back in the day? He seems rather unimpressive to me, and for an ECW vet, he doesn't seem all that hardcore. Are there some phenomenal Shane Douglas matches I am missing or something?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I want this on a shirt
zqs14.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Maybe we need to divide the week into blocks of 3 hours and just have a different person every block.

strobogo

Banned
I've been watching the new collection of ECW on netflix instant, and I can't help but notice how much Shane Douglas is in it. I've always wondered, why did Heyman push The Franchise so hard back in the day? He seems rather unimpressive to me, and for an ECW vet, he doesn't seem all that hardcore. Are there some phenomenal Shane Douglas matches I am missing or something?

Shane was really good up until 1996 or so when his body decided "hey, this wrestling thing sucks" and broke every other match. I don't think he was healthy at all from 96 on. His match quality dropped pretty dramatically after that. And he never really took time off to heal his multiple injuries, probably making them all worse, and shitting up his matches even more. But if you see his WCW stuff Steamboat all the way up to his second ECW run, it's pretty clear why Paul E. pushed him so hard. When he first came to ECW, he was so head and shoulders above everyone it was impossible not to push him. ECW was a bunch of PA and NY indie schlubs and washed up WWF guys who were WAY past their primes. And Shane Douglas was a young, in shape, good looking guy who had been in a team with Ricky Steamboat for the past 2 years and could actually wrestle and cut promos.

The injuries just kept piling up. And his second WCW run all the way to today has been depressing and terrible. But there was a time when Shane Douglas really was "The Franchise".

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, I'm just SUGGESTING this as a Community thing, but...

I think it'd be pretty sweet for the OP next month to have designated Weeks on a calendar to celebrate a particular wrestler and discuss. Talkin' points yall.

(psst... Psicosis week)

Entropia

No One Remembers

I think it'd be pretty sweet for the OP next month to have designated Weeks on a calendar to celebrate a particular wrestler and discuss. Talkin' points yall.

(psst... Psicosis week)

Agreed.

I can't wait for Dean Ambrose week!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed.

I can't wait for Dean Ambrose week!

You wanna call a Dean Ambrose week, there's high stakes involved.

If you call for a Dean Ambrose week and he doesn't show up on WWE TV that week, you can't talk about him, period, until next month.

Put some emotion into Dean Ambrose week. Say your prayers, eat your vitamins. And sleep well.

There should be a Jushin Thunder Liger Week.

That would be the perfect excuse for me to finally hunt down that toku movie he made about himself. I already convinced a friend to get the Jushin Liger anime series, and we watched that a few months ago. The show is somewhat lackluster for a big chunk of episodes near the middle, which actually shocked me somewhat. I always assumed that the show was awesome, since he modeled his look after it (and used the OPs) - the more you know, I guess.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All this Jake Roberts talk.

In retrospect, which WWF (WWF wrestlers only!) deserved a world title win the most, in retrospect? Was it Jake? Was it Perfect? Or was it someone else?

I SUGGEST DDP year
2158694_o.gif

Look at him, he looks so happy.

I was about to say how it was kind of weird that the guy with the evil motivational speaker gimmick went on to become a motivational speaker, but then I found out he was a real life motivational speaker first. I'm kind of disappointed about that for some reason...

Ithil

Wait, what?

:|

Well shit I hope they don't just have Cesaro sitting around in the meantime, give him a short term feud with someone until Christian is back. There's a load of mid card guys hanging around, just give him an actual opponent and not Santino.

Cesaro should join the Cody Rhodes/Damien Sandow stable of geniuses and they should destroy The Ryback.

But then The Ryback outsmarts them all because he read a book once.
EDIT: And he has the most muscles. Which I've learned from my WWE Biology courses are used to make brain power.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Unpopular opinion time:

I don't think Owen Hart should have been world champion. He was upper midcard level at his best. I'm sorry, because I know you all will crucify me for saying this, but I think by the time he started the Blue Blazer gimmick again until his death, well, that was on the downward trend of his career. Even the nugget stuff.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All this Jake Roberts talk.

In retrospect, which WWF (WWF wrestlers only!) deserved a world title win the most, in retrospect? Was it Jake? Was it Perfect? Or was it someone else?

Any world title? Because Rick Rude won the WCW World title, but he never won the WWF championship despite being the most hated heel in the company at the time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Any world title? Because Rick Rude won the WCW World title, but he never won the WWF championship despite being the most hated heel in the company at the time.

WWF Championship. Not thinkin' WCW, just kinda ruling that out as it was a very different environment.

Sokantish

(psst... Psicosis week)

I agree with this, here's what I propose.

Week 1 Dean Ambrose Week
Week 2 Dean Ambrose Week
Week 3 Dean Ambrose Week
Week 4 Dean Ambrose Week
Week 5 Dean Ambrose Week!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As Punk said last week, the Big Gold Belt at best makes you 2nd best.

Such bullshit too. I mean I can only blame the WWE for that mindset but the World Heavyweight Championship has always been prettier and more prestigious to me. :/

Unpopular opinion time:

I don't think Owen Hart should have been world champion. He was upper midcard level at his best. I'm sorry, because I know you all will crucify me for saying this, but I think by the time he started the Blue Blazer gimmick again until his death, well, that was on the downward trend of his career. Even the nugget stuff.
His WM match with Bret was awesome. IMO he did all them gimmick characters just to get out of Bret's shadow. It was prob hard being a bro to a legend. Cody is trying his best for a while to being his own thang instead of being Dusty's kid.

IMO

Top Bottom