• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequence |OT| Rhythm, Role-Playing, and Ronald Jenkees

DJ_Lae

Up to level four now. Really enjoying the game - the writing for the third boss was hilarious.

My only gripe is the grinding, although it's so quick I guess it's not a big deal.

Feep

Banned
Keiician said:
What about the game crashing after alt-tabbing? It doesn't happen in the main menu, but when I chose to continue and then alt tabbed, it froze.

Edit:
Ok, a temporary solution is to press escape to get into the menu every time one wants to alt tab.
Edit2:
Um, nope.
This is related to the twitchy window thing. To fix it, navigate to the executable (steam/steamapps/common/sequence), go into properties, compatibility, and enable Windows XP Compatibility Mode. (This is likely the fix I will use on the patch on Monday.)

Jintor

DJ_Lae said:
Up to level four now. Really enjoying the game - the writing for the third boss was hilarious.

My only gripe is the grinding, although it's so quick I guess it's not a big deal.

On hard, every grind is a win or die experience. Thankfully dying rewards you with XP and you don't really lose anything, so I don't mind it so bad.

Learning spells is the real tricky bit on hard :<

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Feep said:
This is related to the twitchy window thing. To fix it, navigate to the executable (steam/steamapps/common/sequence), go into properties, compatibility, and enable Windows XP Compatibility Mode. (This is likely the fix I will use on the patch on Monday.)
Thanks, will do that.

Feep said:
No current plans for a Mac port at the moment. As for the soundtrack, I do not have the legal right to do so...though I wonder if Mr. djplaeskool and Ronald Jenkees are down for a third third third split...hmmm...

I'm down for whatever man. Give the people what they want. :D

The grind to make stuff so you can lose all that XP so you can then go grind some more has killed this game for me.

I don't see any point to this mechanic other than to make you grind some more, and well, sorry friendo, I just don't find that enjoyable.

I feel bad for being negative, what with the generous promotional tactic Feep and team took on this one, but I just can't recommend something where most of the game's system are focused on making the player grind through the same battles over and over again, with little to no change in the battle each time.

Sorry guys.

AwShucks

I've got to say I enjoy the game but my biggest issue with it is the item drop rate. I like most of the music but having to do the battles so many times to get the needed items to make the keys can be a hassle. Especially when you don't even know which monster drops the item you need because two of the drops are missing on all of them. I really like the writing and boss characters so I wish I could get to those parts quicker!

Oh well, at least I'm getting levels.

EDIT: Ah right, and as has been mentioned losing EXP to make items is a major bummer too.

Belfast

Eh, whatever, XP in this game is both currency and experience. I don't see the big deal other than it makes you think a little bit as to how you use it.

Neki

Feep said:
There's no real "default", but I guess medium is what I sort of treat as a baseline.
well I mean I accidentally went into the difficulty option because it said I couldn't change it after floor 3 and I don't remember what it was originally on. I'll put in Medium then I guess. :p

Shaneus

Up to level three via the freebie code from the thread. Played (it took me away from Forza 4, no mean feat) and have donated. Congrats :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Feep said:
I want to pop in here and personally apologize for the lack of a Lefty Flip option. I'll be adding this in for the first patch for sure.

Enjoy, everyone. = D
Loving it Feep!

Acerac

Banned
The writing in this game is so good! I think this is the first game I've ever played where the descriptions of the items are among the highlights of the game.

Feep

Banned
Acerac said:
The writing in this game is so good! I think this is the first game I've ever played where the descriptions of the items are among the highlights of the game.
I consider the item Air
portmanteau
-
Where Planes Fland!
to be the single best joke I've ever written.

buffi

Banned
Finished the game (on hard) today. Took me about 6h (getting all items).

Charming end credits :)

Was pretty easy on hard, so I'll go for the hardest difficulty next.

Enjoyed the game from beginning to ...almost end. (I haven't done the secret ending yet.) I *think* I was playing on hard, but having lots of DDR experience it felt pretty easy, save the Luminary scroll.

You mentioned DLC was coming. Can you give us a hint as to what that might be? More songs? More levels? Insane Boss Rush Mode oh please oh please?

I've just unlocked the last achievement, and I must say I'm speechless. Congrats on the game, Feep, right now is my indie GOTY alongside The Binding of Isaac: Great dialogue, well-excecuted concept and a mixture of two of my three favourite genres. And hands down, the most unique credits I've seen in a game!

The only thing I didn't like plot-wise was
how Jane's way to treat you changes when she becomes your sheperd. I think it would have been funnier if she keeped being as she was before or if she said any additional funny line
. But, hey! It's something minor and a matter of taste, I guess.

Also, on the last achievement...
Is it really possible to do it using just your keyboard? I tried many times to no avail :( It took me a long hour to figure out, but thanks to the Steam Forums thread I managed to get it by myself, even converting the binary code to a string

If DLC is coming, I'll buy it day one. Now, I'll try to get some of my friends into the game too. I'll be looking forward to your next project :D This one is really like if a dream came true for me, I've always wanted to mix musical games with RPGs like you've just done (I also want to make games one day... But Computer Sience degree won't let me fre time enough to start something serious :( )

buffi

Banned
I'm 100% sure that the Buzzer Beater achievement on the Steam version is bugged (unless I'm stupid).

I've been trying to get it on the first monster (after clearing the rest of the game), by waiting until there's about 5 seconds left and then activating the cheap instant damage spell.

Cleared it several times with less than 1 second remaining (closest to the end had a clear time of 18.2 seconds or something), and the achivement doesn't seem to register.

Might just be my machine, but when I do certain spells, I think the graphics muck up the hit detection, maybe my computer just cant handle it? Is there any way to disable the spell special effects? I love them, but everytime I cast certain spells I basically lose the ability to defend or build up mana for a few seconds.

EDIT: Yeah, my computer sucks. :( but im sure theres something wrong with my steam, that thing is a resource hog.

tsab

Apologies if it have been answered before, can I use my ps3 guitar or do I need a x360 one? (pc version of sequence)

Thank you in advance

The commercial promised 10+ hours. I've played it for 2 and I'm only on the third floor, so it's probably accurate if you want to unlock all items. Just getting to the end might be quicker.

How do I enable full screen mode? Alt+enter doesn't work.

I was going to rant how easy the game was on Hard (because that's the difficulty I selected at the start) only to find out at the 2nd floor that the game was, indeed, on Easy.

Holy macaroni what a difference.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Beat the game yesterday on Spasmodic (for real this time, so now that achievement counts :p)! I was having trouble with the last battle, but after going up a level and tweaking my spellset/equipment, the final boss fell pretty handily. The way the credits were handled put a smile on my face, would love to see more devs do that.

The quality presentation and humor have been mentioned a bunch of times already, but I really want to give props for the gameplay. It's hard enough to balance an RPG on its own or make sure the progression in a rhythm game works, but you pulled off no mean feat in including both in a single game. The charts were really well done and a lot of fun, but it was cool to have the option of crafting equipment, learning a spell, or leveling up to help with a tough fight/song.

I can see why many aren't fans of the grinding though, especially since there isn't much variation in battles outside of the guardian effects. Maybe making an accessory for increasing the drop rate available earlier or giving drop rate bonuses for pulling off certain tasks (combos, no spell misses, etc.) would have helped? I also missed the ability to recraft items after you've used recipes, since sometimes I'd want an accessory that I desynthed for a later fight.

But overall, I spent an embarrassing amount of the weekend playing Sequence and really enjoyed the experience. Thanks, Feep, for crafting such a damn fine game and generously sharing it with GAF. I'm looking forward to Iridium Studios' next game. :)

If anyone's interested in what Spasmodic plays like, I made a video of some late game battles (Floor 6) here:

http://youtu.be/vSzmpJeSqAM

I only have 3 achievements to go... and I'm kicking myself for selecting the highest difficulty because they're gonna be hard. Postgame spoilers -
I think I'm going to use my IIDX controller to learn those last 2 spells, ahaha. But I think I'm just gonna have to grind some levels to beat the secret boss. :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
guitarhero said:
I was going to rant how easy the game was on Hard (because that's the difficulty I selected at the start) only to find out at the 2nd floor that the game was, indeed, on Easy.

Holy macaroni what a difference.

Same thing happened to me. And yeah, the difference is pretty major! Easy and Medium feel too easy to me, while Hard is at just the right level - I will fail battles occasionally, but they are always beatable with the right tactics (or by grinding a few easier battles to level up).

vixlar

Wow, this game is fantastic!!!!

The humor is great, I was reading the achievement list, and one of them made me laugh really hard: "Yo dawg: Trigger Boost a Trigger Boost."

It has tiny bug, when I play in full screen the mana and spell panels don't work good. I must press the keys when the arrows are below the limit.

Shadow780

I kinda have hots for the PA girl voice, is that one of your co-worker?

Also I ditched the 360 controller because of the shitty Dpad, DS3 is much better.

Feep

Banned
ExMachina said:
If anyone's interested in what Spasmodic plays like, I made a video of some late game battles (Floor 6) here:

I had a lot of trouble with players "doing it wrong" in playtesting, but you, sir...you're doing it right. ^^

BroHuffman said:
Feep, did you go to UF?
Yep! I'm also a brown-haired electrical engineer in his mid-20s. Ky is really just me, but better looking.

Shadow780 said:
I kinda have hots for the PA girl voice, is that one of your co-worker?
Barbara King, a good friend here in Los Angeles. She's obviously super hot in real life, as well, but married. = (

thanks again for the game, feep. after spending some time with it, my first impressions:
seems like a really fun game. i first chose spasmodic, and was like 'this is really easy... is it going to get any harder?' then i realized theres a bug that resets the difficulty, so i now switched to spasmodic for real. in spasmodic compared to normal, you can really tell the step charts are randomly generated which makes a lot of the arrow patterns not really go well with the song. as a ddr player, i found myself having more fun just playing the pre-made step charts when you learn new spells rather than the randomly generated ones during fights.

my fave song so far is definitely disorganizd fun. i'm only on level 4, but i'm hoping theres going to be more fast songs like this one.

my current spell rotation looks like this (sorry, forget the names kinda):
barrier or slash depending on enemy/song
maelstrom (purple dd i think thats the name)
siren song
red dot spell that i forget the name of
power up spell or mana recover spell

ExMachina said:

hmmm...that doesn't really seem any harder than floor 4, which is the one i'm on atm. i hope the new abilities will make it more interesting even if its not necessarily harder.

Feep said:
I had a lot of trouble with players "doing it wrong" in playtesting, but you, sir...you're doing it right. ^^
what exactly is doing it wrong?

Feep

Banned
ihearthawthats said:
what exactly is doing it wrong?
A lot of players won't switch fields during spells, even if there's a big gap in the gems, and most players don't switch fields enough in general. Ex was switching like mad, so he wins.

Belfast

someguyinahat said:
Enjoyed the game from beginning to ...almost end. (I haven't done the secret ending yet.) I *think* I was playing on hard, but having lots of DDR experience it felt pretty easy, save the Luminary scroll.

You mentioned DLC was coming. Can you give us a hint as to what that might be? More songs? More levels? Insane Boss Rush Mode oh please oh please?

If you have lots of DDR/rhythm game experience, the hardest difficulty is the only real way to play it, I think.

Droplet

This game has been burning my time away to nothing. I can't seem to get the hang of using both hands at once though, so I've basically been trying to use the arrow keys with the occasional wasd. My left hand is usually on q and e anyway so maybe that's it.

Normal difficulty describes me perfectly. I actually might move the difficulty up a notch if I ever get the hang of it since, well, playing an instrument and being rhythmically challenged is embarrassing. Once I'm done with college apps I'm going to finish this game so hard.

flowsnake

archnemesis said:
The commercial promised 10+ hours. I've played it for 2 and I'm only on the third floor, so it's probably accurate if you want to unlock all items. Just getting to the end might be quicker.

How do I enable full screen mode? Alt+enter doesn't work.

It's in the settings menu.

Herla

Unlocking spells with the GH2 guitar is sooo much easier (and way more fun!).
Too bad the battles seem pretty much impossible :p I'm just used to the pad at this point...

sonicmj1

I've reached the fourth floor, and I'm really enjoying the game. What a pleasant surprise!

Hard was easy on the first two floors, but the third floor definitely kicks things in gear. I had switched to Spasmodic on the first battle, actually (since I thought I was doing so well on Hard), and I was wondering if I hadn't run into a bug or something, since going back to Hard was so much more difficult than it was on the second floor. Now, battles are actually threatening, as opposed to just being contests to see how quickly I can wipe the floor with my foes.

I'm not sure how I feel about the grind-based progression structure, but I like the battle system. In a way, all the screen-swapping reminds me of TWEWY's system, in how I have to keep my focus on multiple screens at any given time. I enjoyed that, and I'm enjoying this.

I'm also pleased to see the unexpected trove of puns lying in the item descriptions. Lots of delights there.

I'll definitely be sure to recommend this to others.

Feep

Banned
TWEWY is definitely an influence, no doubt. Obviously Puzzle Quest is, and so is a rare arcade game called Flashbeat (you can see the original here, and a near-carbon copy I made for my senior design class in 2008 here).

Haven't seen it yet, so maybe it's a known bug and maybe not:

post-game, seen secret ending (but haven't achieved the Iris achievement), when I continue and go to the gear screen, it crashes maybe half the time. Other screens work fine. Didn't ever happen until after the secret ending.

Feep

Banned
someguyinahat said:
Haven't seen it yet, so maybe it's a known bug and maybe not:

post-game, seen secret ending (but haven't achieved the Iris achievement), when I continue and go to the gear screen, it crashes maybe half the time. Other screens work fine. Didn't ever happen until after the secret ending.
No, this one's new...

Tomorrow's version will have automated bug reporting if the game crashes. I know you're done and everything, but do you think tomorrow you could pick up the patch (Should release around 3 PM PST) and mess around until it crashes again? It would be a big help. = D

Top Bottom