• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequence |OT| Rhythm, Role-Playing, and Ronald Jenkees

Yeah, no problem. Every so often I'll boot it up and goof around trying to see if I can figure out the final achievement. Mind you, if the Steam forums are any indication my controller-less self...well, you know.

Feep

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Im pretty sure he would demolish your game though, look at how damn amazing he is. :p (What does he think of it? Its pretty cool for him to get a bit of exposure this way.)
He really likes it, but trust me, it's the other way around...I'm the one getting exposure from *him*. ^^

And that's all 20 achievements. Feeling accomplished.

One question, Feep, since I didn't see it come up: At one point, a certain character is referred to as "Shades" and his drop item is also his shades...but his artwork contains no sunglasses. Last minute art change? What gives?

Feep

Banned
someguyinahat said:
And that's all 20 achievements. Feeling accomplished.

One question, Feep, since I didn't see it come up: At one point, a certain character is referred to as "Shades" and his drop item is also his shades...but his artwork contains no sunglasses. Last minute art change? What gives?
(laugh) Yeah, that was a bit of a snafu there. Lines were recorded prior to Aaron's artwork being completed, and he just didn't look like I wanted him to...the concept art was just better without them. = (

8IESW.jpg

asykT.jpg

Huff

Banned
Feep said:
Yep! I'm also a brown-haired electrical engineer in his mid-20s. Ky is really just me, but better looking.
(

Always happy to see another gator doing rad things. Look forward to your future products

Woah, I thought a failed synth didnt delete items. Wtf, I wasted a TON of exp on a failed Half Prism synth, the synth failed and I lost the items. :(
What does that thing do anyway? Also im really curious what the Iron Maiden on the 5th floor drops with just a 14% chance, must be something pretty good right?

Rufus

Loving the game all around.
Don't think I'll be tackling the higher difficulties, as I get my fingers tangled up on medium on the faster songs as is. Once I mess up bad I start panicking and everything unravels. Never gets frustrating though, which is quite nice.
I'll be grinding drops to craft the last few items and finish this one up, which means about 9 to 10 hours of fun, yay. Thanks again. <3 Recommended the game on Steam and will be throwing some money your way soon.
I might also buy a Ronald Jenkees album off Bandcamp, so thanks as well for the introduction to him.

Oh, and the puntacular item names and descriptions are - something. I'm leaning toward good.

Feep

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Woah, I thought a failed synth didnt delete items. Wtf, I wasted a TON of exp on a failed Half Prism synth, the synth failed and I lost the items. :(
What does that thing do anyway? I really dont like how the Item with like 14% chance to drop must be the last bit for the key. Damn you Feep! :p
Wait, what?

Hold on; I have to get to the bottom of this. Can you please send me your savefile? I'll investigate it and re-add your Crystal Shards to your inventory for you.

You can find the savefile at steam/userdata/somenumber/200910/remote/steamsave.sav. Send it to iridium@playiridium.com

As for cj, you might want to try running the XNA redistributable manually. You can find xna40_redist at steam/steamapps/common/Sequence...this has been a problem for a small number of people. Also be sure that you have the latest version of Windows Media Player available on your machine.

Feep said:
Wait, what?

Hold on; I have to get to the bottom of this. Can you please send me your savefile? I'll investigate it and re-add your Crystal Shards to your inventory for you.

You can find the savefile at steam/userdata/somenumber/200910/remote/steamsave.sav. Send it to iridium@playiridium.com

As for cj, you might want to try running the XNA redistributable manually. You can find xna40_redist at steam/steamapps/common/Sequence...this has been a problem for a small number of people. Also be sure that you have the latest version of Windows Media Player available on your machine.

Sorry I went ahead and re-earned those shards again. I will still send across my savefile if you need it to debug BUT as the for shards im cool. :p

I did exit the game the moment after the synth failed. Not sure if that would affect it? I reopened the game to try and resynth and the items were gone.

Feep

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Sorry I went ahead and re-earned those shards again. I will still send across my savefile if you need it to debug BUT as the for shards im cool. :p

I did exit the game the moment after the synth failed. Not sure if that would affect it? I reopened the game to try and resynth and the items were gone.
Oh! Ahahahah.

The game strongly discourages this. It saves your results immediately, but doesn't return your ingredients until after the spell animation finishes. There's no resetting and trying again.

Bad player! Bad!

Feep said:
Oh! Ahahahah.

The game strongly discourages this. It saves your results immediately, but doesn't return your ingredients until after the spell animation finishes. There's no resetting and trying again.

Bad player! Bad!

Haha glad to know it wasn't a glitch. I sent the email across, but you can just discard it. :p

Yeah, I did try a cheeky reload, im still sore about losing SO much exp on a synth that had such a high chance to pass. Grr. :p

Feep

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Haha glad to know it wasn't a glitch. I sent the email across, but you can just discard it. :p

Yeah, I did try a cheeky reload, im still sore about losing SO much exp on a synth that had such a high chance to pass. Grr. :p
Neither Prism is needed till the very end of the game, I might add. Hold off for now, and save your XP. = D

Just finished the game. It was one of the most original I've played in a long time.

I loved the humour throughout, but it took itself seriously enough at the right moments to make the story meaningful too. It's a tough balance to find, but I think you hit the sweet spot. Good job on the item descriptions, they all made me at least crack a smile. Not often a game can do that in the menus.

I liked the relationship development between Naia and Ky a lot. The back-and-forth playful jabs at one another reminded me a lot of my own relationship :lol. It really made it feel "authentic" to me though, not a sappy romance. The VA was all very well done really. I thought
Mir and Aaron
in particular played their roles very well.

The gameplay was great too. Once my brain got the keys memorized I was zooming between windows mid-spell, catching a few MP or saving some heavy damage, then frantically switching back to hit those last few gems. It made it very intense on the harder difficulties.

The music was all stellar, and matches the style and tone of the game so well. It really makes the game what is. "Disorganized Fun" and "Stay Crunchy" will forever be in my head I think lol.

Finally, thanks again for the free code, to be honest I probably wouldn't have paid much attention and passed up a truly awesome game. I'll be sure to hit that donate button when I have some spare moneys around, it's definitely deserving. You can be sure I'll be there day one for you next project too (please tell me you're working on it).

Feep

Banned
ShadyLurker said:
Finally, thanks again for the free code, to be honest I probably wouldn't have paid much attention and passed up a truly awesome game. I'll be sure to hit that donate button when I have some spare moneys around, it's definitely deserving. You can be sure I'll be there day one for you next project too (please tell me you're working on it).
It was our pleasure. See, this was kind of the rationale behind the giveaway...there's no way you would have bought this game, but you might donate, and even if you don't, I have a fan for the future. = D

And we're already in preproduction of our next game (though obviously it's on hold at the moment for all these fixes). It's gonna be insane. I can't wait to show you guys.

Nabs

Feep said:
It was our pleasure. See, this was kind of the rationale behind the giveaway...there's no way you would have bought this game, but you might donate, and even if you don't, I have a fan for the future. = D

And we're already in preproduction of our next game (though obviously it's on hold at the moment for all these fixes). It's gonna be insane. I can't wait to show you guys.

I know that I'm pre-ordering whatever you guys release next.

Relax.MX

People buy(for like a cent) and trade humble bundle...yep...internet people sucks

I like the game so far, im in the 4 floor...

Salih

i am now on the second floor - really digging this so far.
it kinda reminds me of TWEWY ('cause of the multi-tasking).

Reikon

I was really enjoying the game until I got to the 7th floor and had to grind that Mysterious Orb to get the required drop. I think I've leveled up 3 times and still haven't gotten the item.

yarden24

hey feep is there any way to know what the difficulty is set on after the 3rd floor? I chose hard at the beginning, and im at the 5th floor now, and it doesnt seem to be getting any harder, I think I might be on easy.

Hey Feep did you manage to sneak turning off spell effects and fixing the fps into todays patch? Its really laggy just switching between the fields at times. I know that was a low priority but was just wondering if perhaps I should wait for the patch before trying to continue?

Feep

Banned
yarden24 said:
hey feep is there any way to know what the difficulty is set on after the 3rd floor? I chose hard at the beginning, and im at the 5th floor now, and it doesnt seem to be getting any harder, I think I might be on easy.
Cast Arclight. How many notes are in the spell?

3 - Easy
5 - Medium
7 - Hard
13 - Spasmodic

If your difficulty got locked to easy (this bug will be corrected today), please send me your savefile at iridium@playiridium.com and I'll fix it for you! Your savefile can be found at steam/userdata/somenumber/200910/remote/steamsave.sav.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
"Guns improve video game sales" <-- That made me laugh.

I'm loving this game. It has so much potential for sequels.

Feep

Banned
Dear, GAF! I need you!

We're beta testing a patch that should go live later today. Unfortunately, this patch STILL doesn't fix the twitchy windowed mode...but we're so close on that, we just need to very carefully construct a script to write a registry value. However, changes for this patch:

- Anti-mashing algorithm will no longer interfere with higher-end Hard/Spasmodic play
- Slight decrease in combo/accuracy requirements for learning spells
- Players will be able to reunlock the ability to change difficulty level after defeating the secret boss
- The achievement "Iris" can be more easily obtained on any hardware configuration
- Fixed a bug where using the mouse scroll wheel under certain circumstances would crash the game
- Fixed a bug that would cause a player's difficulty to revert to easy under certain circumstances
- The achievement "Meant For Each Other" will now unlock properly
- Crashes will now cause a "errorlog.txt" file to appear in the same directory as the .exe, allowing much easier debugging of player crashes
- Slightly decreased the volume of the "spell is now ready" sound effect

To grab the beta patch:

To run the Sequence beta fix, exit steam, then re-launch with the following command line:

<steam_dir>\Steam.exe -beta naiaky

Give it a shot for me! Let me know if anything is horribly, horribly wrong.

Good to hear that there'll be a fix for the issue regarding windowed. It gets annoying when I click on the steam chat window out of reflex only to have my game crash. Thankfully the game saves a ton, so I never lose progress :p

Mapping my keys to ASDF worked wonders for me actually. I always got mixed up between up and down. Now it's just all in a row like on the screen.

Is this cheating? =P

Feep

Banned
I should start trolling GAF members. I can check the SteamID in the code; I can make hilarious messages appear if it matches certain names...

Feep said:
I should start trolling GAF members. I can check the SteamID in the code; I can make hilarious messages appear if it matches certain names...

You gave away the suprise. :p

No seriously thats pretty cool. What exactly can you see as a developer? What can you do? :p

wwm0nkey

Feep said:
Huge increase. = D

Anyone try out the beta patch?
Great to hear, it will probably be increasing throughout the day or for as long as that thing is up on Reddit.

You should try to do an IAMA on the gaming section, reddit users love that shit lol

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Feep said:
I had a lot of trouble with players "doing it wrong" in playtesting, but you, lady...you're doing it right. ^^
Fixed. :p But thank you!

I played with the beta patch a bit... Seems fine to me, haven't run into any issues.

- Unlocked the difficulty option after beating the extra boss, it's a little goofy that the text still has the warning about not being able to change once past Floor 3.
- The lowered accuracy goal on the Luminary Scroll and whatever you did to the anti-mashing algorithms let me learn the spell finally, so I appreciate that. xD
- The Iris achievement, haha... nice!

This makes Sequence the first game that I've gotten 100% Steam achievements on, huzzah. :) I grabbed a couple of gift copies for friends, hopefully they enjoy the game as much as I did.

And 2 things...

Earlier in the thread, you mentioned that you could play a song DDR style by going to the Bonus section and holding the 2 analog sticks and hitting Y. Any chance you'll add an equivalent mapping for keyboard so we don't have to hook up a 360 controller?

I also agree with everyone that liked Floor 5's Guardian effect, haha. Would love to have a high speed modifier...

Feep

Banned
ExMachina said:
Earlier in the thread, you mentioned that you could play a song DDR style by going to the Bonus section and holding the 2 analog sticks and hitting Y. Any chance you'll add an equivalent mapping for keyboard so we don't have to hook up a 360 controller?

I also agree with everyone that liked Floor 5's Guardian effect, haha. Would love to have a high speed modifier...
You mean the one I already added? = D

Highlight the song you want, and hold down '4' and '6', and then press '1'. (These keys will change if you have re-bound your keys. Use the keys for Spell 4, Spell 6, and Spell 1.)

And we're going to add gem speed modifiers hopefully by the end of the week. = D

Top Bottom