• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior |OT| Who Wants Some More Wang?

Ashodin

ZzD40jL.png

SHADOW WARRIOR
The Official NeoGAF Thread

What is Shadow Warrior?

It is a remake by Flying Wild Hog, creators of Hard Reset. Devolver Digital is doing the distribution through GOG, Steam, and Humble Store; links below!

Humble Store
Steam Link
GOG.com

(descriptions from Steam)

About

Shadow Warrior is a reimagining of the classic 3D Realms’ shooter from independent developer Flying Wild Hog (Hard Reset) starring the legendary and quick-witted warrior Lo Wang. Combine the brute force of overwhelming firepower with the elegant precision of a katana to annihilate the merciless armies of the shadow realm in an exhilarating and visually stunning transformation of the classic first-person shooter.

Story

Shadow Warrior tells the offbeat tale of Zilla Enterprise’s corporate shogun Lo Wang as he is ordered to acquire a legendary blade of limitless power by his deceitful employer. Betrayed and left for dead, Lo Wang learns of the blade’s connection to ancient gods from another realm preparing to push our world to the brink of destruction. Now the reluctant hero must become legend through a masterful combination of gun, blade, magic and wit to uncover the truth behind the demonic invasion and banish evil back into the darkness.

(Ashodin's note: The original story was similar to this, except it was just "aw shit Lo Wang you got betrayed, time to kill everyone")

Features

Shadow Warrior Reborn – A bold new vision of Shadow Warrior elegantly blends classic first-person shooter gameplay with thrilling action, inventive combat, and a contemporary retelling of the hilarious legend of Lo Wang.

Elegant Swordplay – Unsheathe your legendary katana to slice enemies apart with precisely targeted swings or unleash fluid combos and special attacks to cut down hordes of enemies with one swift pass through the enraged hordes.

Upgradeable Arsenal – Utilize every gun in your formidable armory – from stylish revolvers and quad barrel shotguns to explosive-tipped crossbow bolts and laser-guided rocket launchers. Each weapon offers several unique upgrades to increase power, speed, and add devastating alternative firing options.

Mystical Powers – Call upon mystical powers to protect yourself and paralyze your enemies or use their own severed heads and still-beating hearts to bring them to their knees.

Ashodin's Recount of the Original

I used to play the original a HELL of a lot back in the day (1997). I loved Duke 3D; Shadow Warrior appealed to me more because of the katana swordplay (even though it's just kind of a reskin of punching or booting, the slicing of enemies just felt satisfying regardless). The game itself was terribly fun; the humor mildly slapstick and/or bordering on silly jokes, but the quips from Wang when you kill enemies are nonetheless enjoyable "It is natural to die". Hearing that while gibbing an enemy into a thousand pieces was hilariously fun. And the game is FAST. Faster than even Duke Nukem, I think. Run speed was incredibly fast.

One of the biggest things the game had going for it was the Duke 3D crowd that released mods and TCs for the game moved over and you had some amazing TCs for the game come out. I remember playing this one level where it was a bamboo forest, and it was pretty amazing. The big mechanic added to this game over Duke was the vehicles, a precursor to modern shooters where you can just hop in a vehicle and really tear into enemies if you wanted to (or drive over them!).

I have super fond memories of the original game, and its badass soundtrack.

Including the title theme!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_yovneHbOA

"Haha, you no mess with Lo Wang!"

The game just oozed fun, and I loved it. Now there's a remake, and we're back to see if the game's re-envisioning can hold up to the test of time.

Have a couple screenshots!

QA

Ashodin, what platforms is it on?

Only PC, son. Through the three links at the top.

Ashodin, why should I buy this?

tweetess2o.jpg

Ashodin, is the swordplay really that good?

It's being compared to Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and its ilk. (I keep thinking of Red Steel 2, which had some good swordplay too)

Ashodin, can I beg for a console port?

0130_dmm8.gif

That's all folks, let's have a good time! MASTER LEEP WOULD BE PROUD.

Silky

Banned
I just wanna watch Wang wash Wang.

Great OT. I have like three coupons on Steam for this game. m Wonder if I can trade them.

FYC

Banned
I hope it turns out great. Rise of the Triad 2013 is my GOTY, and I'm realllllyyy hoping we keep getting more old school FPS titles, although I'm under the impression this is more in the vein of Serious Sam / Painkiller.

I'm so bummed I can't support this right away. Forgive me, WFH. I'll buy it ASAP though.

Tacitus_

I wasn't really sold on the humor, but the gameplay looked great. If it truly has as good a melee system as Dark Messiah, I'm so fucking sold on it.

Moff

pre-loaded it, I hope I wont be disappointed. I was not too fond of the original, but the ROTT reboot, while still not great, pleased me much more than the original, and I expect the same from shadow warrior, in the trailer it looks like real fun and satisfying gun- and swordplay.

-MD-

Being unemployed is awful when games like this come out. Never played the original but this looks crazy fun.

Hrm, I remember vaguely being down with the original back in the day. But you know how remakes go, they always seem to-

made by Flying Wild Hog

I put all my credit cards in my CD Drive, why don't I have this game yet?!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't for the life of me remember what edition I bought!

I myself bought the DDE. I'm a sucker for them. See also: pre-purchase-exclusive DLC/TF2 hats.

Edit: The DDE comes with the Serious Sam 3 hammer, among a few other items. It's a toss-up between that and the SR4-based dildo katana for my preferred melee weapon.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm liking what I see. I hope the enemy counts are higher in the later levels though. Doesn't have to be Serious Sam but it would be good to feel surrounded.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Love the look of the melee, looks great. Just need to finish Alien Rage before it appears later today (it's not too bad either, cheap and cheerful and fun!)

scitek

As far as performance goes, the biggest offenders seem to be Mirror and SSAO. I found that turning Mirror to Disabled and SSAO to High gives me 60fps. Just a heads-up.

DrTeflon

I played the preview version and had a blast. Awesome dialogue, fun combat and swordplay. A little too linear, though.

Ashodin

I myself bought the DDE. I'm a sucker for them. See also: pre-purchase-exclusive DLC/TF2 hats.

Edit: The DDE comes with the Serious Sam 3 hammer, among a few other items. It's a toss-up between that and the SR4-based dildo katana for my preferred melee weapon.

I'm not sure how I can check that, though.

lupinko

If I buy the GOG or Humble store version do I get a Steam version too?

I want it both ways like The Witcher does it. =x

edit: humble store version does it, I'll buy it there.

Ashodin

Owing as much of a debt to Serious Sam as to the game that it takes its name from, Shadow Warrior rarely pauses for breath. In fact, it rarely changes pace at all. Wang’s movement seemed erratic to me at first, too fast and slippery, but I soon realised that I had it all wrong. Other games are too slow. When there are this many demons to kill and so many ways to kill them, it’s better to move fast and to carry a big sword. Job done.

fucking hype. Unlock already!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Owing as much of a debt to Serious Sam as to the game that it takes its name from, Shadow Warrior rarely pauses for breath. In fact, it rarely changes pace at all. Wang’s movement seemed erratic to me at first, too fast and slippery, but I soon realised that I had it all wrong. Other games are too slow. When there are this many demons to kill and so many ways to kill them, it’s better to move fast and to carry a big sword. Job done.
That sounds kind of unappealing to me. :\

I gave it a shot so I'm hoping it delivers, but I really didn't like Hard Reset at all and I don't find Serious Sam games to be "classic" in any way. It's the sprawling Doom-like level design that made the original enjoyable. When the dial is always cranked up to 11 things become ho-hum quickly. I'm really hoping this isn't simply a collection of rooms filled with endless enemies to shoot without any sense of proper pacing.

Ah shit. Fork you magnificent bastard, you really know how to sell me on your games.
Let's wait and see how this one turns out. Do we really want Blood to become Serious Sam?

DryvBy

Like all games I buy on Steam, I'll wait for a Steam sale. And after spending money on Rise of the Triad, I just don't trust buying a remake indie shooter until more people get their hands on it.

MjFrancis

I can't wait to play this. It's preloaded and ready to go, but I'm afraid I won't be able to play much if any of it until Friday. Better late than never.

http://www.biogamergirl.com/2013/09/shadow-warrior-video-game-review.html

Shadow Warrior is a great game and a tribute to old school shooter games and their fans. The game offers a challenging and lengthy campaign that focuses more on taking out large groups of enemies in a chaotic frenzy rather than tactically shooting other players and taking cover to automatically recharge health. Shadow Warrior is full of humor, blood and intense action that gamers love in their shooters, and it's a well polished game that is a worthwhile investment for gamers looking to purchase a fun new shooter that offers unique gameplay. Some players won't be happy the game doesn't have any multiplayer support, and they may be equally disturbed by the $40 price tag, but luckily Shadow Warrior is a game that is fun enough in solo play, and it can currently be purchased for 15% on Steam with some additional preorder content, so pick up your copy while this deal lasts!

scitek

I gave it a shot so I'm hoping it delivers, but I really didn't like Hard Reset at all and I don't find Serious Sam games to be "classic" in any way. It's the sprawling Doom-like level design that made the original enjoyable. When the dial is always cranked up to 11 things become ho-hum quickly. I'm really hoping this isn't simply a collection of rooms filled with endless enemies to shoot without any sense of proper pacing.

It plays a lot like Hard Reset, but I think the pacing's better, if that's worth anything. One thing I like that carries over from HR is that it has a lot of destructible things lying around so each environment becomes a weapon itself.

FACE

Banned

Let's wait and see how this one turns out. Do we really want Blood to become Serious Sam?

SS level design:

ibwVNEljioKwRJ.png

Taken from RPGCodex

Top Bottom