• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior |OT| Who Wants Some More Wang?

Man, what is going on? So many goty contenders this year... This being one of them. Playing on insane, 120fps (lowest settings aside feom textured etc though) and finding less than half of the secrets each level.

Seeing the upgrades reminded me why Flying Wild Hog hit the ball out of the park with Hard Reset. I was planning on LPing this game but I explore like a sloth and the game is so intense I might have trouble talking while playing.

I have noticed an annoying thing though - using the dash down slopes sometimes sends you flying horizontally toward an instant death from fall damage once you land. I bet it'll be patched out though, Hard Reset had a good bunch of those.

epmode

I'd love to hear impressions from anyone that wasn't enamored with Hard Reset. Even though I love shooters like Doom and Serious Sam, I didn't really like that one. The levels were too linear and I found the combat rather dull. Not sure if it was the enemy behavior and animations or the anemic weapons.

In other news, the 10% off coupon I have for this game (expires in October) isn't applying in Steam even though others have said that it will stack with the launch 10% sale.

KKRT00

I'd love to hear impressions from anyone that wasn't enamored with Hard Reset. Even though I love shooters like Doom and Serious Sam, I didn't really like that one. The levels were too linear and I found the combat rather dull. Not sure if it was the enemy behavior and animations or the anemic weapons.

In other news, the 10% off coupon I have for this game (expires in October) isn't applying in Steam even though others have said that it will stack with the launch 10% sale.

I didnt like Hard Reset, because enemies were bullet sponges and movement sucks. In this game however i can play literally only melee, enemies are not bullet sponges even when You shoot them and movement is amazing, like the best since Quake as far as FPP game goes [except for jumping, could be much better].
Levels are linear though with some exploration for money and secrets.

My short combat gameplay video if You're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zPwkCik_PI&feature=youtu.be

epmode

I didnt like Hard Reset, because enemies were bullet sponges and movement sucks. In this game however i can play literally only melee, enemies are not bullet sponges even when You shoot them and movement is amazing, like the best since Quake as far as FPP game goes.

It's like you knew exactly what to say to make me want this RIGHT NOW.

Goddammit, who needs money? After my Star Citizen binge, this game is basically free.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Ashodin, can I beg for a console port?

0130_dmm8.gif
I would buy the hell out of this, should it make it to the PSN. I played the original Shadow Warrior many, many moons ago and would love to go back to that work on my console.

TnK

This game is a bit more on the dull side compared to Rise of the Triads. I think it has to do with the movement. In RotT, the fast movement was a really awesome feature. I guess I need to unlock more weapons to really know how the game will play.

e_i

"I don't mean to sound racist, but you guys really do look the same." I just love the quips. I found a naked bathing anime girl too.

ViviOggi

Got a Lo Wang foil card which is going for 8,53€ on the market right now, but I need to provide documentation proving my non-US residence to Valve before I can sell any more items. When they've verified that it'll be worthless. Fml

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wow, this game is fantastic. I thought Hard Reset was pretty mediocre... I would have never guessed this is the same devs.

However, I hate that whenever the game drops below 60fps it goes straight to locking at 30fps, then bounces back up to 60 when it can. Way too laggy feeling for me. I ended up using a third party app to lock the game at 30fps at all times, and it's much better now.

derExperte

I recommend turning SSAO to low. The perfomace is somewhat lacking and this helped me a lot. Mirrors/reflections are bad too.

The game? So far (2hrs) the perfect blend of old-school action and modern stuff. It plays fresh while still constantly referencing 90s fps. And most of the jokes are actually funny.

scitek

Wow, this game is fantastic. I thought Hard Reset was pretty mediocre... I would have never guessed this is the same devs.

However, I hate that whenever the game drops below 60fps it goes straight to locking at 30fps, then bounces back up to 60 when it can. Way too laggy feeling for me. I ended up using a third party app to lock the game at 30fps at all times, and it's much better now.

Enabling "triple buffering" in the Video options will fix that.

epmode

Well, the combat is a lot better than Hard Reset at first glance. The asshole with a sword thing is fun too. I break everything just because.

I love how a top tier FPS just appears from nowhere. <3 PC <3

Moff

I dont like serious sam and hard reset.
love doom and the new shadow warrior

ghst

thanks for the laugh
nice to see reviews knocking this down to relatively average scores due to its "maze like" design and "needless backtracking". keep fucking that modern warfare chicken, guys.

e_i

nice to see reviews knocking this down to relatively average scores due to its "maze like" design and "needless backtracking". keep fucking that modern warfare chicken, guys.

Don't forget...it's got health packs too. OH NOESSSSSSSS!

I've been enjoying it so far, I think I might like it more than Rise of the Triad. My only real complaint is that they didn't really keep the tradition of Duke3D/Shadow Warrior-levels of interactive environments. To me, the interactivity is what keeps those original games so unique and original even after two decades.

I thought you were paraphrasing to make the reviews seem more stupid but here it is directly from the Escapist review:

...the levels themselves, ranging from serene Japanese shrines to gritty industrial buildings, can become slightly maze-like in their design. On more than a few occasions you'll be wishing that the level designers included a few more landmarks to make them easier to navigate or at least a minimap to help you get around. You'll occasionally find yourself needlessly backtracking in the hopes that you didn't accidentally overlook something vital to your current objective or the glow of a door that leads to the next section. Plus, (in what is likely another throw back to shooters of the 90's), many of the levels send you off in a key hunt to pick up a set of padlock keys or smash a colored shrine in order to open a door elsewhere in the level. In concert with the awkwardly designed level sections, Shadow Warrior can become annoyingly repetitive during these parts, but thankfully you won't lose more than a few minutes trying to figure them out.

KKRT00

Not idiot proof enough, also too fast and hard! - 5/10

--
Don't forget...it's got health packs too. OH NOESSSSSSSS!

I actually love their health and heal mechanics. So much better than just jet-packs or painkiller.
Not only You cant restore full health, but it decreases Your fighting ability and makes enemies much harder [which additionally gives You better rewards].

Its like Force Heal from Jedi Outcast, but much better.

scitek

How did You turn post-processing off? I can only set it to Low.

In the console, type "pp_enable 0", then "pp_glow_enable 0" to get rid of the horrible spots that show up. "r_draw_flares 0" gets rid of the rest of the lens "flares" (they're really just spots) if they bug you.

derExperte

Not only You cant restore full health, but it decreases Your fighting ability and makes enemies much harder [which additionally gives You better rewards].

Its like Force Heal from Jedi Outcast, but much better.

Wait what? How exactly does that work?

KKRT00

Btw guys, were You attacked by enraged dark bunny already? :>

Also have You seen godzilla in chapter two? :p

Game could be a little too harder, but maybe it will be later on :) Katana is freaking awesome, i'll make tons of videos, because combat is so cool. I would love to play it win locked 120fps on 120hz monitor :p

Wait what? How exactly does that work?

When You're healing You have bigger recoil with weapons and You cant use RMB anymore :) Also enemies are enraging when You are healing, so they getting stronger, faster and more aggressive.

---
In the console, type "pp_enable 0", then "pp_glow_enable 0" to get rid of the horrible spots that show up. "r_draw_flares 0" gets rid of the rest of the lens "flares" (they're really just spots) if they bug you.
Thanks, i'll try it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking HELL, are critics really calling this maze like ? Fuck me. It's not THAT maze like. It has a few different pathways you can go down to find keys/ways to unlock doors but it's hardly up their with some of the more confusing 90's shooters. Fuck sake, it even sometimes leads you on a straight path/blocks a few ways back (occasionally, not all the time) to keep you moving in the right direction.

I really do wonder sometimes....

Moff

Fucking HELL, are critics really calling this maze like ? Fuck me. It's not THAT maze like. It has a few different pathways you can go down to find keys/ways to unlock doors but it's hardly up their with some of the more confusing 90's shooters. Fuck sake, it even sometimes leads you on a straight path/blocks a few ways back (occasionally, not all the time) to keep you moving in the right direction.

I really do wonder sometimes....
I havent finished it yet, but the first levels seem to be somewhere in between the abstract maze levels of oldschool shooter and the tunnels in realistic enviroments we see today. its definitely ok for a low budget game and I dont mind it, but its certainly not as maze-ish that I think it could bother anyone.

FACE

Banned
From GamesRadar:

It's exciting, guts-spilling fun in short bursts, but the campaign feels too long and dramatically self-indulgent for its own good. That said, if you want to sever limbs and cleave through torsos using bullets and a blade, you're bound to enjoy yourself. Just don't expect to get your brain or your heartstrings involved

:-|

MjFrancis

Dumb thing to knock it for since that's practically the whole point. Even dumber is that a 3/5 translates to a 60/100 on Metacritic.
A one-hundred point scale is stupid anyways. It assumes a quantifiable different between a game with a score of 81 and 82, whereas a five point scale acknowledges that all you really need to know is how much the game sucked or how awesome a game was.

That being said, the excerpt Face linked to was dumb as hell. I don't play Shadow Warrior because I'm looking for a game to get my heartstrings involved in, nor would I expect games to have such an asinine requirement in the first place.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I genuinely *HATE* Hard Reset. Aside from the visuals there was absolutely nothing about the game that I found enjoyable. The combat, which is what the entire game was centered around, felt terrible and was simply no fun.

Shadow Warrior, however, is a lot of fun. Why?

1) Combat feels solid this time. This is the primary difference that separates the two. SW features a more traditional weapon set and each weapon feels excellent to use. On top of that, the melee system is deeper and more fun than expected. Slicing up or shooting enemies feels satisfying and engaging. Enemies come apart as you'd expect and react properly to shots (unlike HR).

2) Character - Lo Wang is quite fun in this game and the dialog works well, I think. Hard Reset had no personality or narrative worth following while Lo Wang and the spirit guide keep things flowing nicely.

3) Level design - The level design feels like a cross between a Shadow Warrior/Duke 3D stage mixed with Serious Sam. It's not just room after room of spawning enemies (the enemy count is lower than SS) but it's not full of elaborate mazes either. It's an interesting middle ground that, while not totally inspired, is still much more fun and interesting than Hard Reset OR Serious Sam, if you ask me.

It's simply a better game all around, I think. Rise of the Triad was more true to old school shooters, I think, but Shadow Warrior is really solid in its own right. ROTT suffered from terrible performance and average shooting mechanics which hurt an otherwise stellar old school experience.

Only complaint is strange performance issues. It's just like Hard Reset in that I keep running into small microstuttering in certain scenes despite counters reporting 60 fps. It does not LOOK like 60 fps to my eyes and it annoys me. It's sporadic, at least, but I had the same issues with HR on both nVidia and AMD hardware (using a 680 now). HR was never fixed and I don't expect this to be either but most people probably won't be able to see it.

Top Bottom