• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea they actually ran out of money during SR's development and had to take out some loans to finish just the base game. If SR failed they would have went under. They won't be making that mistake again.

Vamphuntr

I just booted up Wasteland 2 again, after seeing the praise from Codex et al. Nope, the combat still sucks as much as I remember. And the vast majority of times, there is no avoiding it. And ammo is scarce. And a good to hit percentage is 75%. And the guns jam multiple times per combat. And your melee attacks miss more than John Mulaney's sitcom jokes.

When we talk about games that are hard for the sake of being hard, WL2 is one of them. And not hard as in "I died a lot," but hard as in "Everything is difficult to accomplish." Which would be okay, if you didn't get like, a pair of insect wings at the end of all that, which you have to sell to get 4 bullets. Of course, you used 12 bullets.

The game is also undeniably ugly, but I love Spiderweb games so that isn't really a factor.

Dragonfall had great combat balance, builds mattered and there were some okay to great rewards at the end of some challenging bits. If anything, inExile should be learning a bit from HBS. I'm super glad the larger RPG communities generally agreed that Dragonfall was the superior game.

This is my take on Wasteland 2 too. They made it annoyingly hard on purpose and you need so many skills to do anything that you characters end up being spread to thin. You need someone to hack, lockpick, to safecrack, detect trap, use medicine, use surgeon kit, have points in dialogue options and tons of other stuff. If you don't have 3-4 levels in the guns you are using you get 25% chance to hit even when standing right in front of them. And yeah the guns jam all the time.

The percentages shown all the time seemed rigged. I failed twice in a row to open a safe with 94% success rate and 1% critical failure. Got critical failure, reloaded and got critical failure again.

I don't know if they patched it but some enemies had much much more AP than you did so they could run across the battlefield and throw grenades and bombs in your face before you could act.

Yea they actually ran out of money during SR's development and had to take out some loans to finish just the base game. If SR failed they would have went under. They won't be making that mistake again.

The Berlin stretch goal was never really meant to be a full expansion. I think it was part of their inexperience at the time with how to handle Kickstarter which led to that issue. Their experience with that was that the funding they got was barely enough to make Shadowrun Returns, much less a full expansion. Dragonfall itself was actually funded by HBS from sales of Shadowrun Returns and out of their own pocket, not by Kickstarter money.
Wow I had no idea. That explains why Returns was such a rickety mess in some regards, especially technically.

It's fortunate Harebrained hit a home run with Dragonfall - I don't know that I would've taken the risk on their stuff without all the praise surrounding that title.

RK9039

What was the most requested city after Hong Kong and Berlin?

It was Seattle again and then London.

ShadowrunReturnsGraph.jpg

Dr.Acula

Banned
This is my take on Wasteland 2 too. They made it annoyingly hard on purpose and you need so many skills to do anything that you characters end up being spread to thin. You need someone to hack, lockpick, to safecrack, detect trap, use medicine, use surgeon kit, have points in dialogue options and tons of other stuff. If you don't have 3-4 levels in the guns you are using you get 25% chance to hit even when standing right in front of them. And yeah the guns jam all the time.

The percentages shown all the time seemed rigged. I failed twice in a row to open a safe with 94% success rate and 1% critical failure. Got critical failure, reloaded and got critical failure again.

I don't know if they patched it but some enemies had much much more AP than you did so they could run across the battlefield and throw grenades and bombs in your face before you could act.

The RNG on any skillcheck (alarm, trap, safe, hack) was very random. By the time I got into the last third of the game my characters were leveled pretty high, so all my attacks were powerful. I was cleaning out encounters without too much trouble. Plus I was really rich so I could afford lots of ammo.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Shadowrun has been my steam sale surprise but man no paypal and sad that there won't be more of Glory and Eiger I wanted to continue both of their storylines :(....

duckroll

You know, I really wonder what they would have actually done if the winning vote was "More Seattle! Expand the city!" instead of any new city. Because at the point of the vote, it still wasn't clear at all that this would be a separate campaign. I think everyone (including the devs) were under the delusion that it would be for making a larger scoped single campaign.

IIRC that diagram is just a preliminary result HBS put out a few hours after the poll started and they never gave us the final results (we know that Hong Kong came second because there was a runoff between Hong Kong and Berlin).

Fjordson

Not being biased, but I'd love London.

I see we're slowly edging towards that $500k mark now.
London would be really cool. The description sounded neat:

Buckingham Palace, the West End, the Tube, the Castles, Big Ben…it all screams welcome to London, but in 2050 London is not the sparkling jewel it once was. Sure you get those sunny days that allow you to walk the cobblestones of history. But now, the fog and rain are toxic, forcing the creation of the West End Underplex - a thriving city that tries to keep the mood and feel of London artificially alive underneath the acid washed old city. London is a nightmare which contains the bright palaces and friendly pubs as well as the ghetto of lost humanity called “the squeeze” but all of it is under the very heavy thumb of the city's Lord Protector

akira28

I just booted up Wasteland 2 again, after seeing the praise from Codex et al. Nope, the combat still sucks as much as I remember. And the vast majority of times, there is no avoiding it. And ammo is scarce. And a good to hit percentage is 75%. And the guns jam multiple times per combat. And your melee attacks miss more than John Mulaney's sitcom jokes.

When we talk about games that are hard for the sake of being hard, WL2 is one of them. And not hard as in "I died a lot," but hard as in "Everything is difficult to accomplish." Which would be okay, if you didn't get like, a pair of insect wings at the end of all that, which you have to sell to get 4 bullets. Of course, you used 12 bullets.

The game is also undeniably ugly, but I love Spiderweb games so that isn't really a factor.

Dragonfall had great combat balance, builds mattered and there were some okay to great rewards at the end of some challenging bits. If anything, inExile should be learning a bit from HBS. I'm super glad the larger RPG communities generally agreed that Dragonfall was the superior game.

no.

when I look back to the original Wasteland, it was brutal, but fun. But it was brutal, for a reason. I love the new Shadowrun, the expansion too, but even on hardest most they felt overly easy. I'm liking the unforgiving nature of the radioactive wasteland. That's why I kickstarted it, and at least that is as expected. (If anything I think it looks too pretty...but that's not a complaint really...just...)

DiscoJer

I'm surprised that they needed to do that - Jordan Weisman should be a very rich man.

He started FASA which had Battletech and Shadowrun and the company was sold to MS.

Then he started WizKids which had a huge game for a while, Mage Knight and then Hero Clix. Then he sold out to Topps.

Dennis

Banned
I'm surprised that they needed to do that - Jordan Weisman should be a very rich man.

He started FASA which had Battletech and Shadowrun and the company was sold to MS.

Then he started WizKids which had a huge game for a while, Mage Knight and then Hero Clix. Then he sold out to Topps.

Maybe he has a coke habit.

You never know.

I'm not familiar how deking works in PnP Shadowrun, so maybe I'm totally off the mark here, but imho they should revamp the matrix to be more focused on stealth and exploration/puzzles. It just seems more apropriate considering that decking is about covertly entering someone else's system. I kinda liked certain aspects of Blitz's personal mission in the Director's Cut; still too much combat though (I also got the impression that the rng was far more strict - even unfair - compared to regular combat situations, but maybe that's just me).

In any case, it's pretty clear that the matrix, in its current form of being simply a less insteresting and more annoying version of meatspace combat levels, is due to HBS not having been able to devote more time / ressources on it, so I have high hopes for a revamped matrix.

I've always found it a curious and cringing case of circumstance that due to varied extenuating aspects of just that, the Genesis Shadowrun game has yet to engender what you'd think would be a slam dunk of overhauling romhacking projects from the community that have been mightily lusting after it, and especially the Matrix experience as one of the biggest elements it had going for it, for all these years now.

That's the spirit of the thing they need to chase after here in modern times, if not the precise Genesis form with a mass-dumping of more and varied content/programs/3D cluster navigation/etc given being well beyond the limitations of the Genesis hardware: A largely alien reality that operates worlds apart from the rest of the game whilst being heavily intertwined and enmeshed in the intrigue and happenings afoot in the main game just the same---such that you even have specific cares and intrigue within it directly as it is that much of a potential game changer should you elect to see how far down the rabbit hole you can go beyond the relatively shallow surface interactions needed to get by.

Kicktraq's projection mechanism sucks hard.

Kickspy uses a much more advanced method, and doesn't generally suffer from the insane initial overprojection notr the heavy mid-KS underprojection which is typical of Kicktraq:
http://www.kickspy.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong

Yeah, Kicktraq's projections are really terrible for the first half of any kickstarter campaign. The only time it can be used with any accuracy is within the last week when it becomes more "focused". But even then, it never takes into account the 48hour push that occurs during higher profile KS projects. There are always a lot of people who sit on the fence until the last day before pledging and last day numbers can generally be comparable to first or second day numbers, depending on the hype that gets generated.

The Kickspy projections look a little more accurate, though I do think it will cross over the 700k stretch goal pretty easily.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
They're very different experiences- the SNES is a little closer, but the Mega Drive game has little to no story and is extremely open with a bunch of Mr. Johnsons littered over the map who offer random missions.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Kickspy projections look a little more accurate, though I do think it will cross over the 700k stretch goal pretty easily.

Yeah yesterday it said it would reach nearly a million but now it says it wont reach 700k, which at this point seems pretty assured.

GavinUK86

Come on Gaichu's personal mission, come on.

*crosses fingers*

Kickspy reckons it's on track to raise $1,044,884 now.

Verger

Banned
Yeah yesterday it said it would reach nearly a million but now it says it wont reach 700k, which at this point seems pretty assured.
Yeah. 30 days is probably more than enough time to get over 700K. I would guess it may end up close to 900K, unless they begin to reveal more enticing stretch goals afterwards.

rickyson1

I feel like it broke for a while or something

it kept gradually going up for days and then all of a sudden dropped by like 400k

and now all of a sudden it's back over a million

infi

I feel like it broke for a while or something

it kept gradually going up for days and then all of a sudden dropped by like 400k

and now all of a sudden it's back over a million

Yeah, the 700k projection seemed off. Its been predicted around 1mil most of the time.

I loved Dragonfall so I'm backing this. They have side missions for Gobbet and Is0bel, Gaichu's side mission will likely be met so I hope we can get missions for the other two characters.

I kinda hope they don't add extra stretch goals. I'd just feel depressed seeing what else could've been but wasn't. Though maybe if HBS got some added press coverage the backings would go up.

Var

Yeah, the 700k projection seemed off. Its been predicted around 1mil most of the time.

I loved Dragonfall so I'm backing this. They have side missions for Gobbet and Is0bel, Gaichu's side mission will likely be met so I hope we can get missions for the other two characters.

HBS said in the comments section of the kickstarter that they already have plans to include Racter and Wu’s side missions into the game.

lawrence7

We already have plans to expose Racter and Wu’s personal backgrounds. They're part of shadowruns already planned (similar to how Dietrich's background was tied into the Humanis run in DF) and we're confident all our crew members will feel fully fleshed out.

The other characters' personal side missions fell outside our budget.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-kong/comments?cursor=8743188#comment-8743187

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom