• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.

5taquitos

Gaichu looks better than I expected, and the abilities sound fun. Now we need to hit $600k so we can get his side mission!

Edit: Interesting that there's no Racter side mission listed (I'm assuming Duncan's is already in the budgeted base game)

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Gaichu looks better than I expected, and the abilities sound fun. Now we need to hit $600k so we can get his side mission!

Edit: Interesting that there's no Racter side mission listed (I'm assuming Duncan's is already in the budgeted base game)

Someone on another site said they asked the team through kickstarter, Racter at the very least is a bigger stretch goal.

Labadal

It's a bit of a shame as I'd rather pay with paypal, but on the other hand I appreciate that they are really focusing on delivering the game (with the reduction in physical rewards and this).

It seems a lot of first-generation KS teams learned to avoid those management/fulfillment overheads as much as possible.

I ended up pledging money to the rpgcodex thingy, so I will at least contribut $25 to this KS.

My reluctance to use Kickstarter after a certain point stems from the fact that they let shady projects and, imo, frauds keep going. I have nothing against crowd funding, just Kickstarter as a whole.

I appreciate that the platform is an option for developers, though. Some really good games have come out of this.

Enhanced cyberware get!

I'm curious about what they have in store for stretch goals beyond 700k. I guess the remaining companions will get a personal mission each, but what else?

Lime

lol

e6436d1a9819437006c69ba7e08ab2fc_large.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts

You folks are amazing! Thanks for the opportunity to add more cyber-stuff to the game. Our designers and artists have been talking all morning about the things they're planning to do with your generous funding support. Glee.

And what's next?

Is0bel's personal side mission! Is0bel's parents were immigrants (more like refugees) from the Ethiomalian Territories and, as happens to many families escaping a brutal regime, they flew out of the frying pan and into the fire. Is0bel grew up in (and escaped from) the slums of Kowloon and knows her way through some of the most wretched places in Hong Kong. Unfortunately, her family still languishes in the depths of the sprawl. Her personal mission takes her back there - with you along for the ride.

And now, a word from an old friend...
e6436d1a9819437006c69ba7e08ab2fc_large.png

Cyber-turkey says, "Who wants some?" Cyber-turkey says, "Who wants some?"

Oh, and because ya'll asked... here's a Crew Lineup Wallpaper for you!
57d6620c0a4c81a96ae4abdcecebedad_large.png

Huzzah!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What's really nice is all the improvements made to the systems, interface, and engine will carry forward to future campaigns.

The future looks bright for Shadowrun.

Good as they are doing, I still can't help but hope for some truly outlandish stretch goals just to plant to seeds of imagination/signs of what dreams may come should the game actually do well at retail after the fact:

-Should they do another "additional location" goal like in the original KS---would they continue to use the old poll results that got us to Berlin and now Hong Kong, or would they spring a fresh poll that could result in wildly different results?

-Some kind of especially short, linear, and flashy as hell slice of life/flashback as a team of powerful characters---in the Earthdawn era!

-Alternate take just to screw with the usual tropes as a high-level Docwagon Rapid Response Team heading into varied kinds of extreme situations the world over to serve as a taste for any number of future possible campaigns.

What else would be proper crazy to see in a good way, beyond the rumors on Stealth and the Astral Plane?

What's really nice is all the improvements made to the systems, interface, and engine will carry forward to future campaigns.

The future looks bright for Shadowrun.

Yeah, I get the feeling this is not going to be a one-off. If they're ramping up the engine for PC, I can imagine there are some future plans for it...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Matrix improvements are more expensive than the other goals at 100k. I wonder what they have planned for it.

Probably a fair bit considering that---might as well be the first "crazy" stretch goal versus their more "reasonable" smaller/incremental ones.

They've had a good while now of everybody pouring over/reminding them of the Genesis Matrix while smashing up the existing evolution of it from SR to DF: DC---bound to have some sizable ideas versus the lot of that needing some big efforts to realize.

Good as they are doing, I still can't help but hope for some truly outlandish stretch goals just to plant to seeds of imagination/signs of what dreams may come should the game actually do well at retail after the fact:

-Should they do another "additional location" goal like in the original KS---would they continue to use the old poll results that got us to Berlin and now Hong Kong, or would they spring a fresh poll that could result in wildly different results?

-Some kind of especially short, linear, and flashy as hell slice of life/flashback as a team of powerful characters---in the Earthdawn era!

-Alternate take just to screw with the usual tropes as a high-level Docwagon Rapid Response Team heading into varied kinds of extreme situations the world over to serve as a taste for any number of future possible campaigns.

What else would be proper crazy to see in a good way, beyond the rumors on Stealth and the Astral Plane?

With any luck, something involving Dunklezahn's Will. I just started getting into Shadowrun after playing Dragonfall, and I'm hugely intrigued about the possibilities there.

It's going a bit slower than the original Kickstarter, but the latter also had a higher initial goal, so I'm not sure whether the data is really comparable.

Voror

I feel bad that I still haven't gotten around to playing Returns since getting my backer copy. Didn't even realize there had been an expansion already and now this. I'll have to jump it up the list and get to it.

Same with Wasteland 2 actually.

....Didn't even realize there had been an expansion already and now this. I'll have to jump it up the list and get to it.

Same with Wasteland 2 actually.

Seriously Dragonfall is damn good. Wasteland 2.. eh, I was kinda disappointed. I only got it though as an add on to my Torment pledge.

It's going a bit slower than the original Kickstarter, but the latter also had a higher initial goal, so I'm not sure whether the data is really comparable.
There's also a difference between "without your support, we won't get to make the only Shadowrun RPG there's been in years" and "hey, help us slather some icing on another Shadowrun RPG that's very much like the other two we made recently."

It'll probably peter out around $900K, is my guess.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I just booted up Wasteland 2 again, after seeing the praise from Codex et al. Nope, the combat still sucks as much as I remember. And the vast majority of times, there is no avoiding it. And ammo is scarce. And a good to hit percentage is 75%. And the guns jam multiple times per combat. And your melee attacks miss more than John Mulaney's sitcom jokes.

When we talk about games that are hard for the sake of being hard, WL2 is one of them. And not hard as in "I died a lot," but hard as in "Everything is difficult to accomplish." Which would be okay, if you didn't get like, a pair of insect wings at the end of all that, which you have to sell to get 4 bullets. Of course, you used 12 bullets.

The game is also undeniably ugly, but I love Spiderweb games so that isn't really a factor.

Dragonfall had great combat balance, builds mattered and there were some okay to great rewards at the end of some challenging bits. If anything, inExile should be learning a bit from HBS. I'm super glad the larger RPG communities generally agreed that Dragonfall was the superior game.

I just booted up Wasteland 2 again, after seeing the praise from Codex et al. Nope, the combat still sucks as much as I remember. And the vast majority of times, there is no avoiding it. And ammo is scarce. And a good to hit percentage is 75%. And the guns jam multiple times per combat. And your melee attacks miss more than John Mulaney's sitcom jokes.

When we talk about games that are hard for the sake of being hard, WL2 is one of them. And not hard as in "I died a lot," but hard as in "Everything is difficult to accomplish." Which would be okay, if you didn't get like, a pair of insect wings at the end of all that, which you have to sell to get 4 bullets. Of course, you used 12 bullets.

The game is also undeniably ugly, but I love Spiderweb games so that isn't really a factor.

Dragonfall had great combat balance, builds mattered and there were some okay to great rewards at the end of some challenging bits. If anything, inExile should be learning a bit from HBS. I'm super glad the larger RPG communities generally agreed that Dragonfall was the superior game.

Happy to see other people disappointed by Wasteland 2, I played it for about 20h but got frustrated with the difficulty and the bugs so I stopped playing.

Durante

I really didn't find Wasteland 2 particularly hard. Perhaps in the very beginning, but like almost all old-school RPGs it actually gets easier the further you get in the game, provided you do a decent job at building your party.

Fjordson

I know what you mean. I definitely felt similar. I was fully expecting to love W2 since the first game and the first two Fallouts are among my favourite games of all time. But I just wasn't feeling it. I liked the setting and the writing and it wasn't bad in any way, I just found the combat to be a bit of a chore.

mclem

I wonder if there's any figure at which they would consider doing another Dragonfall type expansion in a different city.

I suspect they're actually thinking of making this a long-term thing - having so many stretch goals based around making the engine more robust would be a bit unusual if they were only doing it for a single title (I also wouldn't be too surprised if the older campaigns were retrofitted into the new engine at some point)

So... I suspect there's already a fourth campaign in mind, but I suspect that they're now thinking in terms of making them each individual Kickstarter projects rather than bundling two into one Kickstarter.

I wonder if there's any figure at which they would consider doing another Dragonfall type expansion in a different city.

Very unlikely, I'd bet. They were probably kicking themselves giving away an expansion to backers who paid fifteen bucks. Maybe they'll do it as an add on pledge though like PoE.

Very unlikely, I'd bet. They were probably kicking themselves giving away an expansion to backers who paid fifteen bucks. Maybe they'll do it as an add on pledge though like PoE.

Not likely. They really screwed themselves on the first game by promising DF.

Interesting way to look at it. I figured they might consider it if they could get it fully funded by backers. Maybe at let's say $1.5-$1.8 million or something.

duckroll

The Berlin stretch goal was never really meant to be a full expansion. I think it was part of their inexperience at the time with how to handle Kickstarter which led to that issue. Their experience with that was that the funding they got was barely enough to make Shadowrun Returns, much less a full expansion. Dragonfall itself was actually funded by HBS from sales of Shadowrun Returns and out of their own pocket, not by Kickstarter money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom