• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.

infi

HBS said in the comments section of the kickstarter that they already have plans to include Racter and Wu’s side missions into the game.

Good, good. If we get to 700k that means we'll have all companion side quests, improved magic, cyber and a revamped matrix. Not sure if there's anything left I'd want as a stretch goal as that fixes most of my issues.

mclem

We already have plans to expose Racter and Wu’s personal backgrounds. They're part of shadowruns already planned (similar to how Dietrich's background was tied into the Humanis run in DF) and we're confident all our crew members will feel fully fleshed out.

The other characters' personal side missions fell outside our budget.

So Racter's side-mission was planned *before* Racter was confirmed as a crew member? Guess he was always going to be part of the storyline in some form. I wonder what that version of the game would have been like.

ThatGuy

So Racter's side-mission was planned *before* Racter was confirmed as a crew member? Guess he was always going to be part of the storyline in some form. I wonder what that version of the game would have been like.

I guess they were pretty sure that they would reach the stretch goals up until 500 000 $ before they started the Kickstarter and had already began the development of it.

Durante

Since when has this been in the game?

screenshot_2015-01-18mgpb1.png

Good, good. If we get to 700k that means we'll have all companion side quests, improved magic, cyber and a revamped matrix. Not sure if there's anything left I'd want as a stretch goal as that fixes most of my issues.
I'd love astral plane, but I think it's too big to be a stretch goal.

mclem

If anyone has a side mission already planned it should be Racter as HBS first "introduced" us to him in a conversation with Lucky Strike in Dragonfall. She talks about her own team of shadowrunners operating out of Mitte, one of which is a recent Russian immigrant who happens to be a rigger named Racter. We also learn that she got her tattoos while working for the Yakuza in Tokyo and can never go back to Japan after crossing them. That conversation was just added in the last patch as well. Coincidence? I think not. Given that this is set 2 years after the events in Dragonfall I think we can safely assume that something happened that caused Racter to leave Germany for HK.

I am hoping Riggers get a bit more love and they introduce many different types of drones with own pro's and con's as opposed to a linear progression of three or four robots. The final drone should essentially be a mini-Metal Gear.

I love playing Hacker's too, Axe and a Deck, so I can hack people and programs to pieces!

I'd love astral plane, but I think it's too big to be a stretch goal.

They've mentioned in one of their comments that they want to stick to their development schedule regardless of the amount of extra funding they raise through kickstarter. It's one of the things they've learnt during the development of DMS and Dragonfall: Don't go for unrealisticly big stretch goals that would entail too much additional development time, because chances are that you'll overpromise and run out of money. So astral plane is probably out of the question and the matrix overhaul will remain the only "big" stretch goal. I don't think they will spontaneously come up with new stretch goals beyond 700k.

Durante

I am hoping Riggers get a bit more love and they introduce many different types of drones with own pro's and con's as opposed to a linear progression of three or four robots. The final drone should essentially be a mini-Metal Gear.
I used to play a rigger in PnP. There's certainly a lot you could do with the class, but the same is true for pretty much all of them compared to PnP ;)

Actually, a huge part of rigging in PnP (and in the novels for that matter) is handling vehicles, and it doesn't really fit the framework they've set up for these games - and I don't really see how it could.

They've mentioned in one of their comments that they want to stick to their development schedule regardless of the amount of extra funding they raise through kickstarter. It's one of the things they've learnt during the development of DMS and Dragonfall: Don't go for unrealisticly big stretch goals that would entail too much additional development time, because chances are that you'll overpromise and run out of money. So astral plane is probably out of the question and the matrix overhaul will remain the only "big" stretch goal. I don't think they will spontaneously come up with new stretch goals beyond 700k.
Yeah, I can see that and I agree with it.

It's just that, were I to select a single thing I'd still love to see in these games, it's the astral plane. But it would basically entail constructing everything in the game twice (Or at least specifying a degree of astral activity for each pixel of every prop) so obviously it would not happen.

Miletius

I could still see Astral Plane being the "big" 1M Strech goal. Say they have one at 800k, and then say we'll hire a few more folks at 1M and just go for it.

Looking at the list, I'd say there isn't a whole lot more they could promise that would fall in scope. Expanded rigging sounds like a possibility. Another side character sounds good, but in increments of 50 or 100k I think it's safe to say that they probably won't be looking to add that many more companions, lest it become more of a menagerie instead of a cohesive team.

duckroll

Slowing down quite a bit now, but that's pretty normal for Kickstarters of this sort. Should hit 600k in a couple of days though, and should easily clear 700k with the boost at the end.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Slowing down quite a bit now, but that's pretty normal for Kickstarters of this sort. Should hit 600k in a couple of days though, and should easily clear 700k with the boost at the end.

Will it even need the boost to clear 700k?

Durante

I'm playing Dragonfall DC right now, and man, that entire Philip Rex mission was hilarious.

It's wonderful that it seems like we might be set for a Shadowrun campaign by these guys roughly every year for the foreseeable future.

Parley

Banned
I played shadowrun returns and....I really hated it. I won't go into the reasons but it is one of the few games that I couldn't finish.

I purchased dragonfall directors cut in hopes that it will persuade me and then I will be able to get excited for this game. However, my criticism of shadowrun returns is immense.

Fjordson

I played shadowrun returns and....I really hated it. I won't go into the reasons but it is one of the few games that I couldn't finish.

I purchased dragonfall directors cut in hopes that it will persuade me and then I will be able to get excited for this game. However, my criticism of shadowrun returns is immense.
Dragonfall is a lot better.

Though it's not radically different, so you may still dislike it depending on what exactly you hated about Shadowrun.

ArjanN

I'm playing Dragonfall DC right now, and man, that entire Philip Rex mission was hilarious.

It's wonderful that it seems like we might be set for a Shadowrun campaign by these guys roughly every year for the foreseeable future.

Haha, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist. :p

And yeah, the new stuff added for the Director's Cut is all very high quality.

Almighty

I am reminded that I have yet to play the director's cut of Dragonfall. I guess that is another game added to my backlog. Anyway I am guessing they will get around the 1 million mark.

That would be a-ok in my book. I loved pretty much everything about DC, especially. The Hong Kong settings looks very intriguing.

Speaking of Shadowrun... does anyone know how to rip music out of the game file location? The OST has some of the music missing from the in-game and I want to listen to them.

kiyoaki

Their most recent update confirms they will again make use of the hub/mission structure they used for Dragonfall, which is good in my book.

The funding is actually coming in at a pretty steady rate, it doesn't appear to be one of those kickstarters that grind to a complete halt in between the initial and the final rush. I guess whether it will make significantly more than $700'000 will depend on the quality of the next set of stretch goals. I'm still holding out hope for a second (mini-)campaign. Something like a 5 hour expansion to be released a couple of months after the main game, perhaps set in Tokyo. Backers would get it for free, which would be a great incentive, and they could sell it as DLC to the rest of the world.

Shadowrun meets Twin Peaks/Deadly Premonition would be a nice fit. The Shadowrun universe has always had a little hard-boiled streak anyway, what with the detective archetype or Nigel Findley's tie-in novels.

kami_sama

Just started playing to SR (I know, I know) and I'm liking it so far. Loving the cyberpunk-plus-magic aspects. Will buy DF when it gets on sale.

Durante

I was like this ->
Data-Star-Trek-Fist-Pump.gif
and this ->
takei-lol.gif
at the same time during the final battle.

Really awesome quest, didn't expect something like that at all.
Indeed.

Haha, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist. :p

And yeah, the new stuff added for the Director's Cut is all very high quality.
It's actually impressive playing the original missions and some of the Director's Cut stuff interspersed and see how much more variety the latter has. I guess with the main game they had more of a (justified, perhaps) feeling that they need to get the "standard RPG stuff" in there.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Their most recent update confirms they will again make use of the hub/mission structure they used for Dragonfall, which is good in my book.

The funding is actually coming in at a pretty steady rate, it doesn't appear to be one of those kickstarters that grind to a complete halt in between the initial and the final rush. I guess whether it will make significantly more than $700'000 will depend on the quality of the next set of stretch goals. I'm still holding out hope for a second (mini-)campaign. Something like a 5 hour expansion to be released a couple of months after the main game, perhaps set in Tokyo. Backers would get it for free, which would be a great incentive, and they could sell it as DLC to the rest of the world.

Shadowrun meets Twin Peaks/Deadly Premonition would be a nice fit. The Shadowrun universe has always had a little hard-boiled streak anyway, what with the detective archetype or Nigel Findley's tie-in novels.

They definitely should stick to one game and one location I feel unless its travel for a mission.

Fjordson

Yeah, I like having a central hub with your home base, conversation characters just for flavor and some vendors. They did a good job of making the Kreusbasar feel like home in
Dragonfall.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Damn just got the
end of the world
ending. Thats how you do a last minute choice ending.

Instro

Just looking at the daily funding its been getting over 15k a day for several days now. It should continue at 10-15k the rest of the way until the final few days, so I'd say over a million is pretty likely. Maybe 1.1m at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom