• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I wasn't expecting such interesting stretch goals. Totally expected "personal mission x, y, and z" for the next three.

I hope you hit 'em all, you Kickstarter maniacs.

ArjanN

Oh really? Weird. So the director's cut added the Glory, Eiger and Blitz missions (I only played the DC)? Those were some of the best quests in the game. Especially the Glory one.

Yes, also the (very funny) side quest for the doctor, and the Trial Run mission (the first mission for the Lodge)

Couple of new endings as well.

Fjordson

Yes, also the (very funny) side quest for the doctor, and the Trial Run mission (the first mission for the Lodge)

Couple of new endings as well.
Wow. All excellent missions.

Even more excited now knowing that. They're coming at a full game with everything they learned from the director's cut.

Now that it's slowing down, I know it'll take some time to (hopefully) reach $700k, but I want to know what stretch goals are after that.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think we'll get up to around 800k on this one at the least. Personally, I don't see the point of extra characters if they're basically just battle drones, so I'm hoping that if I'm wrong, we get up to 700k.

kiyoaki

Fifth party member artwork up.

0e25ee0e48c447c4ef09ab2614d07cd7_large.jpg

2ae40f5cd8b4d0216fbdb2e0ecb017b0_large.jpg

I'm getting rather dark vibes from all of these characters, and I like it. Of course, Dragonfall's party members weren't exactly the Brady Bunch either.

Labadal

It seems no option to pay via PayPal will be made available because of lack in manpower. I will wait for release day and buy the game.

Gaichu looks grim and pretty messed up
and I love it
. Hope we met his personal mission now. I'm sure we will, there's plenty of time left.

Durante

It seems no option to pay via PayPal will be made available because of lack in manpower. I will wait for release day and buy the game.
It's a bit of a shame as I'd rather pay with paypal, but on the other hand I appreciate that they are really focusing on delivering the game (with the reduction in physical rewards and this).

It seems a lot of first-generation KS teams learned to avoid those management/fulfillment overheads as much as possible.

I think we'll get up to around 800k on this one at the least. Personally, I don't see the point of extra characters if they're basically just battle drones, so I'm hoping that if I'm wrong, we get up to 700k.

Battle drones? Each one should offer the same amount of conversation as the original group, that's why they also have personal missions.

duckroll

Did you play Dragonfall? The party members in Dead Man's Switch were basically battle drones, but in Dragonfall they were all real characters who populated the hideout, you can talk to them between missions to find out more about their backstories, and they have unique dialogue in missions and during key story moments. It was a huge improvement. It'll be the same here.

WanderingWind

Did you play Dragonfall? The party members in Dead Man's Switch were basically battle drones, but in Dragonfall they were all real characters who populated the hideout, you can talk to them between missions to find out more about their backstories, and they have unique dialogue in missions and during key story moments. It was a huge improvement. It'll be the same here.

...no, duckroll. I never played Dragonfall. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118734299&postcount=24

I didn't actually know this until reading some posts in this thread. The "party" implementation was a big disappointment for me in Dead Man Switch, Dragonfall does sound like a pretty big improvement.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Where's the next Shadowrun FPS? I wish someone would re-make Shadowrun from Xbox 360 for Xbox One.

That FPS was the best FPS I had every played on consoles.

Browny

Banned
The party members in Dead Man's Switch were basically battle drones, but in Dragonfall they were all real characters who populated the hideout, you can talk to them between missions to find out more about their backstories, and they have unique dialogue in missions and during key story moments. It was a huge improvement. It'll be the same here.

It would be fair to say (certainly in hindsight), DMS = Icewind Dale; DF = Baldur's Gate in regards to party dynamics. Here's hoping they make the metaphorical step up to BG2.

WanderingWind

Then why would you call them battle drones?!

Bro. In DRS they were, in Dragonfall they weren't. While it would be great to assume they'll be fleshed out in this installment, there is no guarantee that they won't have to cut corners if they don't get the funding they need to fully establish the characters. There is precedent both ways, here. I'm simply saying I hope they get enough funds to make the characters more like Glory and Eiger and less like the guys I can't remember from DMS.

duckroll

Bro. In DRS they were, in Dragonfall they weren't. While it would be great to assume they'll be fleshed out in this installment, there is no guarantee that they won't have to cut corners if they don't get the funding they need to fully establish the characters. There is precedent both ways, here. I'm simply saying I hope they get enough funds to make the characters more like Glory and Eiger and less like the guys I can't remember from DMS.

This isn't a Kickstarter to make the game. They have enough funds to make a game comparable to Dragonfall. Fully fleshed out characters, etc. The Kickstarter is supposed to expand the game and improve various features. Every character added will be like Dragonfall and not DMS. If they don't get the funding to add the character missions for everyone, it'll just be more like vanilla Dragonfall than Dragonfall Director's Cut. I wouldn't be worried, DMS is ancient history. :)

Regardless of any merits it had, it's considered to be universally disliked.

I thought Microsoft owned the IP, but it appears to be owned by the Topps Company.

If I remember right Topps owns everything but video game rights for Shadowrun which Microsoft has. I believe that's why the kickstarter lists the physical rewards as something the can't sell on their own later, they only licensed the game rights from Microsoft.

If I remember right Topps owns everything but video game rights for Shadowrun which Microsoft has. I believe that's why the kickstarter lists the physical rewards as something the can't sell on their own later, they only licensed the game rights from Microsoft.

Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe Harebrained Schemes will be able to completely purchase the rights from Microsoft one day.

duckroll

Here's what the Kickstarter says about the expected quality of characters and the campaign:

And, as introduced in Dragonfall, you'll be able to guide your crew's advancement by choosing special abilities on their Growth Tracks to complement the choices you make for your own character.

Command Your Team: Lead a small team of shadowrunners - each with their own outlook, motivations, and backstory. The members of your team are designed to play contrasting roles during missions. Guide your team members as they progress in each of their unique roles, choosing between different focus options to grant them new items and abilities.

We're totally committed to making Shadowrun: Hong Kong and we're already several months into development. The project is budgeted, fully staffed, and on-schedule for a mid-2015 release. We also have a story we're really excited about. At our current budget, it's going to be 12+ hours long and at the quality level of Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut.

There's no reason to doubt this when companion quests are already in the stretch goals. At the very least it confirms the companions will have a personality and dialog. Not to mention - as weak as Shadowrun Returns' campaign was, it still had good writing; Dragonfall improved it, and there's no reason to expect the Hong Kong campaign to be a step backwards.

Harebrained Schemes has done nothing but improve since they started making Shadowrun games.

Xater

Where's the next Shadowrun FPS? I wish someone would re-make Shadowrun from Xbox 360 for Xbox One.

That FPS was the best FPS I had every played on consoles.

The only Shadowrun FPS is ever want to see is something that is more like the first Deus Ex gameplay wise not that MP game garbage that Microsoft put out.

I really hope this will hit the stretch goal for the revamped Matrix. That's the only really big negative this game still has.

Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe Harebrained Schemes will be able to completely purchase the rights from Microsoft one day.

I doubt that would ever happen. It's very much a Disney situation where, even though they have no internal plans to use them, they are going to hold onto Lucasart's IP like Monkey Island because there is no real benefit to selling them.

They'll be happy to licence it and collect cheques but getting a couple million for an IP that could be useful down the road isn't usually worth it to those companies.

There's no reason to doubt this when companion quests are already in the stretch goals. At the very least it confirms the companions will have a personality and dialog. Not to mention - as weak as Shadowrun Returns' campaign was, it still had good writing; Dragonfall improved it, and there's no reason to expect the Hong Kong campaign to be a step backwards.

Harebrained Schemes has done nothing but improve since they started making Shadowrun games.

That's one thing I really love about Harebrained Schemes' current set-up.

Each iteration helps them improve their engine and gameplay mechanics and produce another campaign quickly.

Only disliked because it wasn't a Shadowrun RPG.

Disclaimer: I have no experience playing that game. From what I've seen in gameplay videos, it looks like a generic use of the IP to which it's attached. Someone could probably make a spiritual successor with a similar aesthetic without needing to license the IP.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The only Shadowrun FPS is ever want to see is something that is more like the first Deus Ex gameplay wise not that MP game garbage that Microsoft put out.

I really hope this will hit the stretch goal for the revamped Matrix. That's the only really big negative this game still has.

You didn't like Shadowrun's multiplayer? What specifically about it was garbage?

It had a great blend of Counter-strike and Halo-esque/Team-Fortress designed into it.

No other multiplayer FPS has done this, mixed being able to build your character round after round with the money you earn in-game.

Amazing concept that was untapped potential.

I would like to see more of the Astral Plane. That was a fun idea that I don't think was executed well (but it wasn't bad, per se) in DF:DC. Hopefully the AP gets some love after $700K

I doubt that would ever happen. It's very much a Disney situation where, even though they have no internal plans to use them, they are going to hold onto Lucasart's IP like Monkey Island because there is no real benefit to selling them.

They'll be happy to licence it and collect cheques but getting a couple million for an IP that could be useful down the road isn't usually worth it to those companies.

Very true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom