• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn just got the
end of the world
ending. Thats how you do a last minute choice ending.

That was only added in the Director's Cut afaik. It feels they've only added it at the last minute, but is in fact in line with the Shadowrun canon:
All dragons dead means there's no Dunkelzahn around to sacrifice himself in order to prevent the horrors from invading (due to a major Aztechnology fuck-up), which means the end of the world.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That was only added in the Director's Cut afaik. It feels they've only added it at the last minute, but is in fact in line with the Shadowrun canon:
All dragons dead means there's no Dunkelzahn around to sacrifice himself in order to prevent the horrors from invading (due to a major Aztechnology fuck-up), which means the end of the world.

I thought
Dunkelzahn was assassinated, not sacrificed

ArjanN

I do like me a good betrayal with multiple potential backstabbers though. Especially when the party member you lose is based on your actions throughout your playthrough and not a single plot decision

Yeah, I liked it in Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising where the traitor was
the one with the most corruption.

mclem

I wonder if they're implying that one of those characters could betray the party as the story progresses.

I've been thinking that ever since it was implied that some of the side missions were part of the base game. That suggests that that backstory is more important, for some reason.

Of course, there's other reasons that one side-characters' backstory could be more significant than others, that's just one possibility, but it got the cogs going.

mclem

What is holding them to put a stretch goal for consoles?
It'd require a fairly significant interface change, at the very least. And I daresay it'd generate some bad feeling given they've made a point of saying 'PC only' at the outset for this one (which I think is more meant to imply "not tablet", but the implication is also that it wouldn't have consoles in mind and I'm sure there's a contingent who'd regard that as a betrayal)

duckroll

What is holding them to put a stretch goal for consoles?

Instead of spending money on dev kits, licensing and submission fees, and manpower for porting, redesigning stuff to support controllers, and additional QA testing, they could just put all additional funds into making a better game for a single platform instead.

That's what.

Arulan

Instead of spending money on dev kits, licensing and submission fees, and manpower for porting, redesigning stuff to support controllers, and additional QA testing, they could just put all additional funds into making a better game for a single platform instead.

That's what.
Yeah, basically this. Also I would like a UI that isn't burdened by consoles, especially now that they've dropped tablets.

I thought
Dunkelzahn was assassinated, not sacrificed
That's what it it looked like, but what really happened was that
Aztechnology tried to bring the horrors into the world too early through some kind of blood magic ritual (yes, an unbelievably stupid thing to do, but we're talking about a megacorp here...) and Dunkelzahn basically sacrificed himself in order to power an artifact that prevented this from happening. As all of this happens some time after the events in Dragonfall, joining Vauclair in his scheme to eliminate all dragons means that the Azzies would ultimately succeed and bring about the end of the world in the process.

I'm happy that
Wu and Racter
have something planned. But I kind of hope it isn't like
Dietrich
because I thought his personal mission was pretty weak as it wasn't really a personal mission more of a "
can I tag along?
"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm happy that
Wu and Racter
have something planned. But I kind of hope it isn't like
Dietrich
because I thought his personal mission was pretty weak as it wasn't really a personal mission more of a "
can I tag along?
"

I wanna throw down in the streets with the Berlin punk scene.

kamandi

That's what.

It'd require a fairly significant interface change, at the very least. And I daresay it'd generate some bad feeling given they've made a point of saying 'PC only' at the outset for this one (which I think is more meant to imply "not tablet", but the implication is also that it wouldn't have consoles in mind and I'm sure there's a contingent who'd regard that as a betrayal)

It would make things more complicated alright. But in the end, it is all about money. If game would get funded, all said expenses would be covered. Well, but of course this is true for all games. Anyway, i would love to play this on ps4.

Durante

They just dropped an extra platform (also one that people widely believe to bring in a lot of money, tablets). I don't know why they would be interested in expanding the target platforms rather than just making the best possible game on the one platform where the vast majority of cRPG fans are.

I'm VERY excited to see what they do with the Matrix. It is pretty much the only flaw in Dragonfall.

I also would love to see them do a campaign that bridges the three locations, if only to have an excuse to bring back Jake and Harlequin.

Lucifon

Any word on whether this will support touch controls for devices like the Surface Pro 3? I know they suggest on the Kickstarter page they're not making a tablet version of the game, but touch controls for the Windows version would be awesome.

Browny

Banned
I'm not a figure collector, but the characters are pretty cool and I dig the universe. What to do...

I'd love to drop the extra and get the figures, but international shipping is a game-stopper for me.

Already at 600k. I hope we get the revamped Matrix.

Certainly in the original and DF (non-DC - I need to replay it!) the Matrix seemed to be an obstacle rather than an enjoyable challenge, so fingers crossed they can give it some depth and variety.

infi

My only experience with Shadowrun is returns and Dragonfall but I wasn't overly fond of the matrix in those games. Does anyone know if they were similar to how the matrix is portrayed in the tabletop game?

RK9039

Dat Gaichu.

srhk_gaichuWallpaper.png

mclem

It would make things more complicated alright. But in the end, it is all about money. If game would get funded, all said expenses would be covered. Well, but of course this is true for all games. Anyway, i would love to play this on ps4.

I don't think they're inherently averse to producing for other platforms, but I do think they'll want to keep any such considerations completely clear of the Kickstarter and development of the game. Near the end of completion, they might well make the value assessment you're alluding to and later port the finished titles to console if they feel it would be profitable, but I wouldn't expect that to happen at all.

That's what it it looked like, but what really happened was that
Aztechnology tried to bring the horrors into the world too early through some kind of blood magic ritual (yes, an unbelievably stupid thing to do, but we're talking about a megacorp here...) and Dunkelzahn basically sacrificed himself in order to power an artifact that prevented this from happening. As all of this happens some time after the events in Dragonfall, joining Vauclair in his scheme to eliminate all dragons means that the Azzies would ultimately succeed and bring about the end of the world in the process.
Huh.

Glad I chose to
free Feuerschwinge
despite not knowing anything about the Shadowrun canon, then!

hemtae

Isn't Shadowrun licensed from Microsoft? That probably limits any chance its going to be on PS4.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't Shadowrun licensed from Microsoft? That probably limits any chance its going to be on PS4.

Yeah, the Shadowrun IP dates all the way back to a 1989 table top game, but Microsoft bought the company that FASA was rolled into (Virtual World) in '99.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't think it would play very well on consoles anyway...

Would play fine on a console, it's a pretty basic turn based game. Probably the best candidate of all the recent kickstarter cRPGs given it has limited loot and interactions. The issue would more likely be it would take too much time and effort to adopt the interface to a controller.

I don't think it would play very well on consoles anyway...

Xcom played great with a controller. Combat in the two games is quite close. The ui isn't anything too complicated to handle. Unless they overhaul it entirely with dropping the tablets.

dude

dude
XCOM was quite a different game. It's not that I'm implying it's impossible to port the game to consoles or anything, but it will require work - The current interface and gameplay will not work as-is on consoles in my opinion. I for one would rather they spend that time on making a better game for the PC...

Corpekata

Banned
I really don't see Divinity OS ever actually getting the controller support or console version they talked about. THAT is a game I am surprised they're even trying with honestly.

MiszMasz

I'm really pleased they're focusing on just making it as good for PC / mouse and keyboard as they can, whether that be gameplay, menus, or spreading funds, time and effort into more content rather than porting. I also really appreciate their support for Linux and Mac as well, it's been great when i've only got my laptop running Mint around and can load the other two up.

The funding is actually coming in at a pretty steady rate, it doesn't appear to be one of those kickstarters that grind to a complete halt in between the initial and the final rush. I guess whether it will make significantly more than $700'000 will depend on the quality of the next set of stretch goals. I'm still holding out hope for a second (mini-)campaign. Something like a 5 hour expansion to be released a couple of months after the main game, perhaps set in Tokyo. Backers would get it for free, which would be a great incentive, and they could sell it as DLC to the rest of the world.

Going by the discussion earlier in the thread, this didn't work the first time they attempted it and I doubt they'd rush to try it again.

Mini-campaigns would probably be too short to have much plot development and the amount of assets they'd have to create make it something they can't release in a "quick" time frame.

Lomax

Quite frankly, the request for console versions as a stretch goal reeks of backer delusion. A realistic stretch goal for something like that to actually cover cost would undoubtedly be millions of dollars. We've had enough years of this by now to realize making games isn't cheap and the vast majority of Kickstarter projects (including Shadowrun Returns) have ended up costing much more than what they got from Kickstarter.

Or think of it another way. If the game takes six months to develop, 50k is basically one new person added to the project. How many people do you think it would take to develop any given feature? Because that's how stretch goals should be thought of.

Quite frankly, the request for console versions as a stretch goal reeks of backer delusion. A realistic stretch goal for something like that to actually cover cost would undoubtedly be millions of dollars.

Also Microsoft owns the IP (it's licenced out). So you'd never see it on a Sony platform.

I then asked if we could ever expect to see Shadowrun Returns on PS4, given Sony’s aggressive approach to scooping up indie developers with its open approach. He simply replied, “It would take a change in our licensing agreement with Microsoft,” suggesting the brand is – in some way – still tied up with Microsoft after FASA’s Shadowrun FPS release in 2007.

Mind you, this interview is from 2013

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/13/shadowrun-returns-capturing-the-tabletop-vibe/

I doubt that we'll get any more "big" stretch goals beyond 700k. They haven't announced additional goals despite having already passed 600k, so they're probably not interested in boosting their campaign by making promises that they then might not be able to fulfill.

It seems to me that they've set very realistic goals this time with the matrix overhaul being the biggest. This is what they can realistically achieve during the allotted development time and they don't want to promise a lot more than that, even if this would potentially mean more kickstarter money pouring in.

So I guess that they'll announce additional stretch goals not until they're close to or have passed 700k and they're going to be small, achievable goals. Definitely no ports or voice acting or stuff like that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
XCOM was quite a different game. It's not that I'm implying it's impossible to port the game to consoles or anything, but it will require work - The current interface and gameplay will not work as-is on consoles in my opinion. I for one would rather they spend that time on making a better game for the PC...

If they made combat more like XCOM that would be sweet. Supressive fire, corner peek system, chem grenades, more cover nodes.

dude

dude
If they made combat more like XCOM that would be sweet. Supressive fire, corner peek system, chem grenades, more cover nodes.

I doubt that's a realistic goal for the project though. But I do hope they will have an improved combat as a big stretch goal next. Not that combat was bad, but it could definitely be better.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I backed this instantly.

I feel like I could play a yearly stream of these Shadowrun games for a long time. Using the same engine, HBS could just layer on and improve the gameplay systems, add some new environments and art assets, tell a new story, and I'd be content.

pahamrick

I backed this instantly.

I feel like I could play a yearly stream of these Shadowrun games for a long time. Using the same engine, HBS could just layer on and improve the gameplay systems, add some new environments and art assets, tell a new story, and I'd be content.

As long as it doesn't become harder and harder for mod creators to port their mods to the 'updated' version, I'd be all for it.

Achire

I didn't personally enjoy Wasteland 2 or Divinity: Original Sin too much. The writing, especially in Divinity, completely failed to impress. Shadowrun, on the other hand, really grabbed me despite the engine limitations. Dragonfall was my favorite game of 2014, and I'm really looking forward to Hong Kong. I originally voted for HK instead of Berlin, but hey if they can take the lessons learned from DF and make HK even better, it's all good. I hope ditching the tablet versions allows them to do more with the engine.

Shadowrun has been the only Kickstarter I wish I'd given more money. I don't want to see physical rewards after the whole Wasteland 2 thing, but $75 seems acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom