• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyoaki

A new update with another look at the production process and a new piece of concept art:

0b20c5ccbaeaf473bbbe291bca5899f7_large.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1121261

I have to say I really like Tristin's artwork.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That artwork makes me so sad we will only ever get to see Shadowrun from zoomed out isometric.

kiyoaki

That artwork makes me so sad we will only ever get to see Shadowrun from zoomed out isometric.
Well, if you listen to the interview, there's a section during which the developers speculate on how they're probably going to have to build a new engine if they want to continue to expand the universe. (They also throw in some locations they'd love to use as settings for future campaigns, L.A. among them) Perhaps one day we'll see a Shadowrun game in 3D.

Personally, I'm fine with the isometric view. The backgrounds are rather beautiful, it's the characters' animations that need some work first.

mclem

We might be in a slow ebb at the moment, but we're still hitting milestones!

$800k. 14 days to make a further $200k. With an ending spike still to come, of course.

infi

We might be in a slow ebb at the moment, but we're still hitting milestones!

$800k. 14 days to make a further $200k. With an ending spike still to come, of course.

I'm just curious how big of a spike Returns had at the end and if this is expected to do similar or be more front loaded with it being a sequel.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pretty sure we are gonna make it at this point.

Also adaptive soundtrack elements are my jam.

duckroll

Even if this somehow -doesn't- hit 1 million by the end of the Kickstarter, it'll be close enough that I'm certain we'll get the expansion (they can make up the difference from pre-order sales of HK or actual game sales later). It's not likely that it won't hit a million though. :p

Durante

I'm totally convinced at this point that this will make it to 1 million. The usual ending spike alone should make sure of that.

kiyoaki

Why is there no Amazon payments option on Kickstarter?
They used to have that, I have no idea why they abolished it.

The recent daily intake has been around $10'000, a bit lower than before, but still solid. I too think that they'll make the $1 million funding goal. If the Kickstarter goes even beyond that (and towards another stretch goal) I'll be happy, but the game is already shaping up to be pretty content-rich without that.

Browny

Banned
I'm hyped that this is hitting all its goals - the end product should be fantastic. I'm still really tempted to jump up the the $180 mark - now that they've included the additional characters, I think they'd look fantastic on display.

And I'd had such a cheap start to the year too......

Why is there no Amazon payments option on Kickstarter?

They've mentioned that any additional payment option entails a substantial administrative overhead (as well as fees, I guess) that simply isn't worth the potential additional revenue they could raise through these channels. It's one of the things they've learned from their previous campaigns.

duckroll

They've mentioned that any additional payment option entails a substantial administrative overhead (as well as fees, I guess) that simply isn't worth the potential additional revenue they could raise through these channels. It's one of the things they've learned from their previous campaigns.

I don't think that was what he was asking. In the past, Kickstarter used Amazon Payments to process pledges, and recently they stopped and made it direct payment via their own system. I don't know why either. This has nothing to do with this specific Kickstarter.

I don't think that was what he was asking. In the past, Kickstarter used Amazon Payments to process pledges, and recently they stopped and made it direct payment via their own system. I don't know why either. This has nothing to do with this specific Kickstarter.
Indeed, must have miserad, I thought this was about HBS not offering other payment options such as Paypal, etc.. Didn't realise that kickstarter changed its own payment solution, but apparently it's due to Amazon having discontinued the payment product kickstarter was using: https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/making-payments-easier-for-creators-and-backers

My first backed Kickstarter!

Honestly I'm kinda bummed they dropped Android. I had hopes they could invest some of the budget in a new engine since Returns and Dragonfall run like garbage with constant hiccups and slowdowns on my Nexus 7.

Labadal

I (am almost certain) think amazon took a cut, so that's probably it.

Honestly I'm kinda bummed they dropped Android. I had hopes they could invest some of the budget in a new engine since Returns and Dragonfall run like garbage with constant hiccups and slowdowns on my Nexus 7.

I'd wager that sales of DMS and DF probably weren't that hot on these platforms compared to the PC version, so HBS decided that it's not worth the extra effort and that the money is better spent elswhere.

Maligna

Banned
Man,I love Cyberpunk but I'm not a fan of Shadowrun because of them mixing in high fantasy elements like elves and magic. I dunno, I might still try this...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Man,I love Cyberpunk but I'm not a fan of Shadowrun because of them mixing in high fantasy elements like elves and magic. I dunno, I might still try this...

The games feel much more cyberpunk than fantasy. Shadowrun generally feels like this when you are in the urban settings.

The games feel much more cyberpunk than fantasy. Shadowrun generally feels like this when you are in the urban settings.

The whole 'cyberpunk+fantasy' setting also works much better in practice than it might sound on paper. Probably because a lot of the sci-fi elements and techno-mysticism in cyberpunk performs a similar function as the supernatural / magic does in fantasy. In a way, it's almost a natural fit when you consider that the closest reference points to cyberpunk as a (literary) genre are probably the medieval romance and the gothic novel.

kiyoaki

The fantasy part of Shadowrun always worked well for me because the fantastical elements are used to complement the basic setting of cyberpunk SF - a noir near-future high-tech dystopia - instead of clashing with it. In Shadowrun, the world gets re-enchanted, and society is still going down the crapper. Like most good SF, it's more a reflection of the time it was written than of the future it seeks to portray. Dragons invest their hord at the stock exchange, industrial waste attracts toxic spirits from the astral plane, and orcs stage protests against racism in front of bookstores that sell Tolkien's works. The characters may have tusks or pointy ears, but they are all classic cyberpunk figures - people scraping by working seedy and violent jobs on the margins of society. Their stories have grit and feel grounded enough to make the crazy setting work.

In other news, we're at $810'000 with 13 days to go, well on course to meet the mini campaign funding goal.

I also liked what the sound guy had to say about his approach to the soundtrack:
There will be organic, acoustic instrumentation with classic, Chinese elements set against dread-future deep synths and driving electronic rhythms and soundscapes - imagine the expressiveness of a live cello set against the crackling of a gritty sawtooth bass and space in the soundtrack to tune your ears to the environment.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1123729

The quote made me think of Yellow Magic Orchestra's tongue-in-cheek techno orientalism, which is a plus. Also, the composer really has talent. I loved the Kreuzbasar theme in Dragonfall, and I can't wait to hear what the Hong Kong hub will sound like.

kiyoaki

Another update:

Remember how we always say that we're listening and taking your comments to heart? Well, here's an example for all the folks who don't play tabletop RPGs but want a way to support the project in a bigger way. It's a special reward level just for you! We call it "THE OPERATIVE" and it's a $65 STAND-ALONE REWARD LEVEL that doesn't combine with any of the other rewards. Check it out on the Main Page and then tell all your pixel-lovin'-no-dice-for-me friends about it.

And speaking of listening, great news on the Official (and stylish) Shadowrun synth-leather Messenger Bag. Because so many of you supported the project at THE COURIER Level and above, we were able to work with the manufacturer to increase the size of the bag! The new dimensions are 17" x "11 x 4". Big thanks to our Producer, Chris Klimecky for his mad negotiation skills.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1125327

Pledge $65 or more

>>>THE OPERATIVE

(This is STAND-ALONE REWARD LEVEL for folks who don’t play tabletop RPGs but want to support the project in a big way.)

(The OPERATIVE reward level does NOT COMBINE with any other reward level.)

* The COMPLETE COLLECTION: One copy of Shadowrun Returns, one copy of Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut and TWO COPIES of Shadowrun Hong Kong (That’s two SR:HK's total.)
* ALL THE MUSICS! Digital downloads of the SOUNDTRACKS from Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Shadowrun Returns, and Shadowrun: Dragonfall.
* A Desktop Wallpaper for desktop, phone, and tablet devices.
* A set of Backer Exclusive in-game PLAYER CHARACTER PORTRAITS to choose from to customize your Shadowrunner. (Note that Backer Exclusive portraits will NEVER be sold as DLC.)
* A DIGITAL MAP of Shadowrun's Hong Kong in poster resolution.
* An ORIGINAL SHADOWRUN E-NOVEL based on the characters and situations in Shadowrun: Hong Kong.
* Access to an AUDIO COMMENTARY TRACK from the Shadowrun Development Team.
* TWO HIGH-RES DIGITAL POSTERS that, when placed together, combine into a beautiful Shadowrun Panorama. The first poster contains a Timeline of Shadowrun History. The second contains a Glossary of Shadowrun Slang.
* THE ART OF SHADOWRUN: HONG KONG in PDF format! See behind-the-scenes concept art and how we go from simple drawings to a final look.
Estimated delivery: Oct 2015

The new reward level unfortunately isn't for me. I'll keep waiting for a $100+ tier with some additional digital rewards, or I'll just stick with the $75 rewards.

It has slowed down significantly over the past few days. We're definitely going to need that final push at the end to get to 1mio.

Though I guess that we'll get the expansion anyway, even if we don't get to 1mio, but it's probably not going to be free in that case.

kiyoaki

True, but we had a nice spike yesterday, probably due to the addition of the new reward tier and the game being featured in a Kickstarter newsletter or something. I'm still not worried.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Closing in on 900k. I wonder if they will just say they putting excess funds towards polish over if they end up significantly over 1 mill.

Miletius

Looks like 900k is a go, or will be in about 400 dollars. 5 more days so 100k should be more than doable, although I doubt they'll announce anything else the way they've been playing it.

kiyoaki

We're almost at 900k now, aaand there's a new reward level that actually gives me something I want (and can afford):
This one's for folks who love fiction and trivia. It’s a $100 Reward Level called THE GRIZZLED VETERAN. See if you can guess why. ..

In addition to all the great stuff at the reward levels below it (except for the $65 stand-alone level) you’ll get a FULLY-ANNOTATED .PDF version of the original, long out-of-print Shadowrun short story anthology “INTO THE SHADOWS” with a NEW FORWARD by Jordan Weisman, the creator of Shadowrun PLUS an ORIGINAL NEW SHORT STORY by Tom Dowd, one of its co-creators!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1132156

New Tom Dowd story! I'll upgrade my pledge later.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A bunch of people were looking for that $100 dollar tier upgrade. Will be interesting to see how big the ramp up in last minute funding gets on a return project like this.

Also the typoon mention in the update has me excited with how that will play out.

mclem

It seems to be accelerating; it's definitely in the final stretch now. Pretty sure the million is a lock; under $100k to go, four days to do it.

Clunker

I was reminiscing about Into the Shadows some pages back ... Maaaaaaaaan, I wish I had extra cash. :(

So stoked for this!

Edit: worst top of page ever. Here's my favorite line from Dragonfall, in response to "Wait, you can sing?"

TZOj3HT.jpg

Here's my favorite line from Dragonfall, in response to "Wait, you can sing?"

TZOj3HT.jpg

This is basically why Dragonfall is amazing expressed in one picture.

Just 75k to go now. It's definitely speeding up again so we should get to that 1mio. I will probably raise my pledge during the final hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom