• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously though, the fact that the soundtrack is on the premiere tier is an instant catch. One of the best atmospheric slabs I've heard in ages. Should get anyone who played instantly.

SparkTR

Nice, I hope this pans out. I feel HBS are on the verge of creating something amazing, the prior Shadowrun games were good to great, but there's more potential there.

DMiz

Characters that have been revealed so far aren't as visually interesting as the crew from Dragonfall. But that setting...

I feel the need to contribute just for that setting alone.

I'm expecting the next few stretch goals to be personal missions for the rest of the party members.

I don't know why that isn't a part of the base. Hasn't rpg after rpg proven that people love party side quests? ME 2 practically lives off of it.

That was my reaction to the added missions of the Dragonfall Directors cut missions "Why want this in the base game?"

Ah, oh well. Still haven't decided what level to back at.

Clunker

So excited - to pick up the game and all those soundtracks for $15 is a steal.

I picked up the original right away due to nostalgia from the SNES game and a handful of novels I had picked up as a kid fascinated with his first taste of cyberpunk, and honestly my favorite part of DMS and Dragonfall was the writing. It's a little overwrought and melodramatic in spots, but it's just kind of supposed to at times -- drenched in shadows and trenchcoats with gleams of silver. <3

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I am deep into Shadowrun Returns right now and totally loving it. I'm definitely going to buy the expansion.

I'll not be buying this though, I'm only interested in a tablet version.

In at 15.

Really hope that if there are more goals (I'm sure there are) that they take a page of Robert at Zeboyds Kickstarter and add an awesome base of operations where we can add rooms and interact with all your companions.

GavinUK86

I am deep into Shadowrun Returns right now and totally loving it. I'm definitely going to buy the expansion.

I'll not be buying this though, I'm only interested in a tablet version.

Blasphemy!
UISmmui.png

SparkTR

Do these guys have the rights to the original console games? Would be nice if they're ported as an incentive.

Train keeps choo-chooing. Actually the big bonus here is the PC only focus. Time to take things to the next level yo.

I hope they redo the interface in addition to the visual and map size enhancements, the current one feels too tacked on and unintuitive. Like pretty much every tablet interface.

Sendero

They'll probably just add more, but it would be nice if they added the Astral Plane, too. (Basically the Matrix for mages. Dragonfall spoiler:
I guess you visit it during Glory's sidequest.
)
Yes, having your specialization skills have an impact on quests and how you solve them, was a welcomed improvement from Returns.

Love your idea about the Astral plane. Would be a selling point for a future title.

There were journalists and developers who were moaning that Kickstarter is dying but it turns out if you make a really good game that people like and delivers what it promises you can still have a really successful kickstarter because people will want more. Who would have thought it?

In at 15.

Really hope that if there are more goals (I'm sure there are) that they take a page of Robert at Zeboyds Kickstarter and add an awesome base of operations where we can add rooms and interact with all your companions.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have that already, seeing as it was in Dragonfall, and the increases focus on running mates in DF was one of the things people (myself included) loved most about it.

mclem

Racter looks pretty evil. I kinda like it. They're teasing more party members so maybe there's more to come.

At the rate they're making money they'll have to start getting creative with the classes at some point...

MRS HIGGENS
TEA LADY

Mrs Higgens is a non-magic using human tea lady. Her skill with a kettle is unmatched, giving her powers to refresh anyone within range of her trolleybot.

Brewing Track: Focusses on developing new and exciting teas, adding to their potency and giving them new and improved effects.

Delivery Track: This track focusses on improving Mrs Higgens' ability to traverse the battlefield rapidly both with her trolleybot and moving independently. Progressing down this track also gives her steam-based rapid hit-and-fade attacks, but only once the kettle has boiled.

SparkTR

No drek, chummer. Being able to carry this game around with me has been a blast.

Maybe in the future when tablet technology has progressed enough to accommodate their designs. In the meantime I hope they fix the UI without tablets being there.

There were journalists and developers who were moaning that Kickstarter is dying but it turns out if you make a really good game that people like and delivers what it promises you can still have a really successful kickstarter because people will want more. Who would have thought it?

The main issue with Kickstarter is accountability, and that issue is removed when trusted and credible game developers are at the helm of the campaign.

epmode

Maybe in the future when tablet technology has progressed enough to accommodate their designs. In the meantime I hope they fix the UI without tablets being there.

That's a big one for me. Everything about the UI screams tablet design. Needs to change.

Deadly

PC only? Wow that's really surprising. The entire time I played Returns and Dragonfall, all I could think of was that I should probably play it on a tablet.

SparkTR

PC only? Wow that's really surprising. The entire time I played Returns and Dragonfall, all I could think of was that I should probably play it on a tablet.

Apparently full price games (as in $15-$20 in that market I guess) don't sell so great on mobile, F2P and cheaper $1-$3 titles dominate that market. But yeah with tablet out of the question we desperately need a more KB/M focused UI.

epmode

And yet it doesn't play all that well on a tablet. Dragonfall Director's Cut doesn't, anyway.

You can play them on a tablet. Hong Kong is PC only because tablets limited the possibilities, mainly in the size of the instances.

Holy cats! Check out all the new stretch goals!

$350,000 - More better sound! We can only describe smells (for now) but we can definitely improve on our audio. Dynamic combat music will ebb and flow as a battle progresses, providing more atmosphere and tension. Enhanced Ambient Sound is a catch-phrase for lots of technical babble about making your play environment sound more real and less repetitive.

$400,000 - Gaichu joins your team of runners! Gaichu was a member of the Renraku Corporation's elite Red Samurai security force. Infected with the Human Meta-Human Vampiric Virus (HMHVV) on a mission gone wrong, he was forced to abandon his pure-human unit as the virus slowly twisted him into a ghoul. Now a shadowrunner, Gaichu could prove a valuable ally, but his loyalty comes at a price…

$450,000 - Enhanced Cyber! If this goal is reached, we'll add a new skill to our character creation system that enhances a character's cyberware and unlocks the ability to install powerful new cybernetic enhancements. This system will further differentiate characters with 'ware from their flesh and blood counterparts. We'll also add cyberweapons that you can install into your characters' arm slots, complete with new animations and visual effects.

$500,000 - Is0bel's personal side mission! Born to immigrant parents of Somali descent, Is0bel has experienced life in the slums of Kowloon first-hand. Escaping at a young age, she retreated into the cold perfection of the Matrix, but her family still languishes in the depths of the sprawl. Her personal mission will take her back to a place that she barely escaped from - and you'll come along for the ride.

$550,000 - Expanded magic! If we hit this funding goal, we’ll add new gameplay options and equipment for magic-using characters. Shamans will gain the ability to summon Shrine Spirits at specific locations in the Hong Kong environment. These great-form spirits are far more powerful than their mundane counterparts, can’t break away from your control, but are limited in duration. Hermetic mages and physical adepts will gain access to Foci - enchanted weapons and objects that can boost a spellcaster’s magical power or allow an adept to deliver devastating magical attacks.

$600,000 - Gaichu’s personal side mission! When Gaichu became infected with HMHVV, the Red Samurai code that he'd sworn to demanded that he take his own life. Instead, he took to the shadows, dishonoring himself and the rest of his team in the process. In Gaichu's personal mission, you will square off against a squad of highly-trained warriors who will stop at nothing to destroy their old teammate... and you alongside him.

$700,000 - Revamped Matrix: Art and Gameplay! If we hit this goal, we'll add more people to the team to revise the look, feel, and gameplay of the Matrix. We want the Matrix to feel more like you're traveling in the digital world. We also want to add new types of Intrusion Countermeasures and new ways of interacting with them so that decking feels more like an illegal entry into someone's system.

epmode

Enhanced Matrix needs to be number 1. I played a decker in both games and the whole Matrix thing seems like huge missed opportunity. At the very least, I'd love to see different art based on the type of network you're infiltrating.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Enhanced Matrix needs to be number 1. I played a decker in both games and the whole Matrix thing seems like huge missed opportunity. At the very least, I'd love to see different art based on the type of network you're infiltrating.

Yeah, I was sorely disappointed with how the Matrix stuff worked out. It felt like an afterthought. Really hope they reach the funding to give it the sort of attention it deserved.

duckroll

The stretch goals still don't cover personal missions for every single announced party member. Are some already part of the main game?

Vaporak

With the response that DragonFall got I need to get around to playing it soon. If it's good I'll probably back this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom