• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lautaro

I was a bit tired of Kickstarter (I just don't have too much patience) but I'm backing this. Shadowrun has been a quality experience so far.

Not that I have any real doubts of not hitting the goal but expanded Matrix needs to happen. I still haven't played Dragonfall but in Dead Man Switch all the Matrix segments ended up being the worst parts of that game for me.
They're more or less the same, sadly. They pull the trick of having the Matrix bear on what's happening in the real world more often, but otherwise it's still dull.

Which is a shame, because decker is probably the best character to roll for Dragonfall, plotwise.

Opiate

My girlfriend likes story based games, sci fi stuff over fantasy stuff, and mostly plays League of Legends right now. She doesn't like FPS games. Is this the sort of game she might like?

My girlfriend likes story based games, sci fi stuff over fantasy stuff, and mostly plays League of Legends right now. She doesn't like FPS games. Is this the sort of game she might like?
If she has the patience for a sluggish interface and likes or doesn't mind turn-based combat, yes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
We should probably flood them with messages and tweets asking for a better Matrix.

Edit: didnt see new goals but that really should have been a lower one.

duckroll

The main question here is whether she would enjoy a tactical combat system similar to X-Com, but more forgiving and dumbed down in some aspects. If she enjoys something like that, it'll probably be fairly enjoyable at the very least. The stories are filled with cyberpunk stuff, the setting is good, and the way the games unfold are definitely heavily storybased, sometimes more like a point and click adventure than a RPG. Also, I would recommend Dragonfall rather than the original Shadowrun Returns, for reasons of quality and scope.

Almighty

Now those are some stretch goals I can get behind. If this hits at least 700k I will be content. The matrix is the worst part of the games and to me it seems like it could be one of the best it done right.

Fingers crossed for $1,000,000 - Inventory and Loot.

I thought it was actually kind of nice to have an RPG that didn't get bogged down with loot like so many others.

Fjordson

Dumb question, but I take it the game that resulted the first Kickstarter was good.
Sort of, yes. The initial Shadowrun Returns was a neat return for the Shadowrun universe. But it was the standalone expansion campaign "Dragonfall" that was truly great and I think instilled a lot of confidence in people.

Sort of, yes. The initial Shadowrun Returns was a neat return for the Shadowrun universe. But it was the standalone expansion campaign "Dragonfall" that was truly great and I think instilled a lot of confidence in people.

The Director's Cut of Dragonfall (essentially what we're kickstarting for Hong Kong) made it even better. Anyway, I'm in for $55 so far; wish I could afford $500.

GavinUK86

Hopefully they raise enough to include all the personal quests. It'll feel a bit weird if we only get one or two.

$400,000 - Gaichu joins your team of runners! Gaichu was a member of the Renraku Corporation's elite Red Samurai security force. Infected with the Human Meta-Human Vampiric Virus (HMHVV) on a mission gone wrong, he was forced to abandon his pure-human unit as the virus slowly twisted him into a ghoul. Now a shadowrunner, Gaichu could prove a valuable ally, but his loyalty comes at a price…

$600,000 - Gaichu’s personal side mission! When Gaichu became infected with HMHVV, the Red Samurai code that he'd sworn to demanded that he take his own life. Instead, he took to the shadows, dishonoring himself and the rest of his team in the process. In Gaichu's personal mission, you will square off against a squad of highly-trained warriors who will stop at nothing to destroy their old teammate... and you alongside him.
Vampire shadowrunner? Holy crap I need this!

ThisOne

How do these games play compared to the original Shadowrun on SNES? I loved that game a lot and these ones certainly look nice but I'm wondering how the gameplay is.

dmr87

Love this type of Kickstarter, let the community help make the game even bigger and better, and no publisher invovled in the process. Studio seems like a genuine and passionate bunch, no-brainer to help them out again.

Pledged $15 although I haven't played any of the games yet. How important is it that I play the original campaign? All the good stuff I've heard has been about Dragonfall.

Almighty

Pledged $15 although I haven't played any of the games yet. How important is it that I play the original campaign? All the good stuff I've heard has been about Dragonfall.

Not very. For the record unlike some people I liked Dead Man's Switch, but Dragonfall can be enjoyed on its own no problem.

There's no story relation at all between the two as they're completely different campaigns. The first one is okay, and much shorter. Dragonfall is much better and longer.

Wiktor

I can't believe I live in the world where I'm getting a new kickass Shadowrun campaign annually :)
And good news about cutting out mobile versions. Will back it when I get paid.

I backed the original one and loved the game and expansion (though I've yet to play the Director's Cut version). Just backed this one.

Based on that criteria, would recommend Dreamfall Chapters if she just wants story and characters in case Shadowrun doesn't work for her.

it depends. It is not a complicated or difficult game but the setting itself is worth the price of entry. I played the original on the SNES and it is a really cool setting. you have groups of team mates who you hire based on their skills in a very blade-runner esque story. The combat is pretty cool and not at all grindy/random or boring like most japanese RPGs.

I like the games - you get around 10-12 hours out of each one. She would need to play the original and the DLC. The DLC is MUCH better than the original game, so im expecting big things for this new one.

dude

dude
Their first campaign was a let down, but Dragonfall was awesome so I'm gonna give them my money once again.

Grayman

Fingers crossed for $1,000,000 - Inventory and Loot.

I am ok without taking a lot of items off of bodies but the whole tag line of "Shoot Straight. Conserve Ammo. And never make a deal with a Dragon." Doesn't work without ammo. I would like to grab ammo off bodies and consumables through a mission. The better equipment should be more rare though. Shadowrunners are better equipped than their targets probably half the time in the games.

There could be some challenging risk/reward spots early in the game where an escape mission allows the opportunity to geek a heavily armed corp team member for a some whiz gear on the way out the door.

seady

I am a Hong Konger and always amazed at how people oversea still perceive Hong Kong as a place full of Chinese shrines and temples with dragons, street markets with bizarre foods, huge underground triad networks, insane rate of piracy etc.

We are not in the 80s anymore. It's like people imagine US as a land only with cowboys ala Red Dead Redemption.

Durante

Ok, so now they are starting to list the good stuff.

We really need to hit the enhanced cyber, magic, and matrix goals. Good thing that we probably will.

We are not in the 80s anymore.
Actually, we are. This is classic Shadowrun.

rickyson1

at this point i'm just hoping the next couple after the matrix one are good,I feel like it'll hit a couple more after that but probably not another full "group" so to speak

it'll be a little upsetting if they release a new group of stretch goals and the first couple are kinda bleh with some awesome stuff around a million and it ends up hitting like 800k which is around where I think it'll end up

Jintor

I am a Hong Konger and always amazed at how people oversea still perceive Hong Kong as a place full of Chinese shrines and temples with dragons, street markets with bizarre foods, huge underground triad networks, insane rate of piracy etc.

We are not in the 80s anymore. It's like people imagine US as a land only with cowboys ala Red Dead Redemption.

It's Shadowrun, that's pretty much exactly what those places are in Shadowrun

It is not meant to be an accurate representation of contemporary HK. It is a video game.

I'm glad they're revamping the matrix, those sections always dragged down the pacing of the old campaigns.

Ideally there would be entirely different gameplay for the hacking sections, but that's probably asking too much.

Talyn

I'm backing this, of course, but man the rewards this time are so much less incentive to back it as highly as I did the original. In that case I got the hardcover anthology, the USB dogtags, a T-shirt and the DocWagon card in addition to the boxed game. This time...I really don't care about the messenger bag or the figures. I think Wasteland 2's physical rewards soured me on whole idea now which sucks and there's nothing left above the basic tier but PDFs of sourcebooks I already own.

The exclusive portraits and Hong Kong sourcebook sound interesting but not for $55. I really wish they'd thrown in a Germany sourcebook as well, Dragonfall made me really interested in the material they used to create Berlin and apparently it's all from a German published sourcebook that was never translated into English? Yeah, something like that would have sold me on the higher tier. As it is I might go as high as $35 for the digital toolbox depending on what it actually is. If it's just PDFs of material for 5th edition Shadowrun for people that actually get to play IRL with other people, well then again, it's also something I can't use. Bah. I have money, HBS; why can't you make me give it to you!?

Lime

Will they ever do a sourcebook for Dragonfall or Berlin? What they did with DMS and now this one would be great to see for Dragonfall.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wanted Hong Kong from the start. So glad they are finally getting around to making it.

Lime

Yeah, I know what you mean.

by the way how was Sleeping Dogs in this regard?

mclem

Interesting that Gaichu's side mission is being introduced before ones for Duncan or Racter. Maybe Duncan has one that was already planned as part of the base game?

Lucifon

My 3rd backed Kickstarter, definitely funding this. I've only played roughly an hour of Shadowrun but it's sat on my Steam list and I keep meaning to get around to playing it properly. I know I'm going to love it.

deleted

Dragonfall was nothing like modern Berlin either - doesn't matter at all imo, it's still refreshing to have unusual settings and let them flow into the story and dialogs.

DiscoJer

Well, that's exactly what Shadowrun is - an 80s (early 90s) vision of the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPGQoR6f6w

At least this Shadowrun. More recent versions of the game are more modern in tone, but this is based on the original universe.

And actually, in Shadowrun, instead of cowboys, much of the (former) US is ruled by American Indians.

Talyn

Interesting that Gaichu's side mission is being introduced before ones for Duncan or Racter. Maybe Duncan has one that was already planned as part of the base game?
If anyone has a side mission already planned it should be Racter as HBS first "introduced" us to him in a conversation with Lucky Strike in Dragonfall. She talks about her own team of shadowrunners operating out of Mitte, one of which is a recent Russian immigrant who happens to be a rigger named Racter. We also learn that she got her tattoos while working for the Yakuza in Tokyo and can never go back to Japan after crossing them. That conversation was just added in the last patch as well. Coincidence? I think not. Given that this is set 2 years after the events in Dragonfall I think we can safely assume that something happened that caused Racter to leave Germany for HK.

ArjanN

It's Shadowrun, that's pretty much exactly what those places are in Shadowrun

This. Hell, isn't half of the US run by native americans in the Shadowrun universe?

But even besides that, I assume it's because reality is obviously a lot more boring and less recognizable. It's pretty much the same for every country through, I'm from the Netherlands, and that's represented like the Tekken windmill/tulip stage in the media half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom