• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

MjFrancis

A new Suda51 game? I had no idea. Like most of them, though, I'll have to give it a try. Depending on impressions and trailer footage, I will either try or buy. Don't know quite yet.

54-46!

I'm still on the fence about this one, usually I can tell if I will like a game by looking at gameplay videos and what not, I'm not sure if this is just another RE4 or if it has something more to offer.. I'll wait for the reviews.

Dave1988 said:
They probably don't see SotD as profitable enough to warrant a marketing campaign. And IIRC Vanquish didn't sell all that hot even though it got stellar reviews, so I can see where they're coming from.

Yeah but you'd think they'd at least bring Suda and Mikami over during E3, and put them on stage together during the EA presser to generate some hype. The responses in this thread are proof that it was flying under the radar of even the hardcore.

ToyMachine228 said:
Yeah but you'd think they'd at least bring Suda and Mikami over during E3, and put them on stage together during the EA presser to generate some hype. The responses in this thread are proof that it was flying under the radar of even the hardcore.
i've known the release date for ages... but only because i work at Game Stop and regularly check the upcoming releases ordered by date. I'd have been letting everyone here know if I didn't think it was common knowledge!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This is so bought.

The think the reason this snuck up on everybody was because it seems like they didn't have a firm release date set for this until like a month or two ago. They weren't really marketing the date.

Bit of a shame that Suda is finally getting some significant backing by a publisher but their marketing arm bungles it.

plagiarize said:
i've known the release date for ages... but only because i work at Game Stop and regularly check the upcoming releases ordered by date. I'd have been letting everyone here know if I didn't think it was common knowledge!

It's funny because I went and pre-ordered the game at GameStop a few weeks back and the guy at the counter who is ALWAYS talking about games with customers, and generally has a decent amount of knowledge about games was like "What is this some sort of RPG? I've never even heard of it and it comes out in a few weeks." When I told him it was a collaboration between Mikami and Suda 51 he was like "Wow, why haven't I heard of this?"

Kajiba

I was wonder who was gonna make the OT thread for this game. Good somebody did it.

Preorder this game a looong time ago. Can't wait to play it this tuesday.

USD

I had no idea this game was coming out so soon. Granted, I haven't been watching it under a microscope, but I've been checking out most of the random info that popped up on GAF.

And now that I think about it, GAF is pretty much my only source for gaming news (though obviously most of the news here comes from other sources).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm another person that forgot about this.

Interested in Gaf impressions, but right now I don't think I'll buy this next week.

Hope it's good

Alrus

I had no idea this was coming so soon wtf. EA didn't even bother to put some advertising on online websites?

MjFrancis

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I will finally be able to use my 50 dollar walmart gift card on a game. I've been holding out for months.
Will a game this low on the totem pole even become available at Wal-Mart upon release? It seems like the box stores aren't carrying these sorts of games as often.

Edit - I forgot that EA was the publisher.

Solune

Takao said:
Comes out on my birthday.

Will not buy.
So you're saying someone's going to buy it for you or...?
I am personally hyped as HELL for this game and My Bday was just on Sunday =(.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
ToyMachine228 said:
If I remember correctly, there are rumors of Suda and Kojima working on a project together. Who knows if it ever existed or still exists.
Project S = Snatcher.
Believe.
Dascu said:
NMH3 isn't even really in development yet, plus he didn't direct the second one.

Maybe he's directing this: http://www.1up.com/news/grasshopper-yuji-naka-tease-projects

Or Codename D for Kinect.
The former seems much more likely than Codename D. D seems to be a XBLA oddity about aiming throwing gestures toward monsters, while he's talking up the Prope collaboration as a big project for a global audience.
ToyMachine228 said:
I was looking forward to seeing this in action at E3 this year so much and it was a no show. Very disappointing.
It's a shame that not a single one of the TGS announced Kinect games turned up at E3. Their pedigree makes them the most exciting Kinect projects by leaps and bounds.

And yeah, pretty shocking how much EA dropped the ball on marketing this one. Maybe after they had already initiated the project they decided that Japanese console gaming is dead and it wouldn't be worth giving a big push? That they couldn't bring Suda, Mikami and Yamaoka to the stage for a demo at E3 but found time for an extended NFS: The Run QTE-fest demo says a lot of not very nice things about the current game market.

Dascu

Krev said:
It's a shame that not a single one of the TGS announced Kinect games turned up at E3. Their pedigree makes them the most exciting Kinect projects by leaps and bounds.
Rise of Nightmares was at E3. And looked terrible.

dreamfall

Day one, pre-ordered for that brilliant man's soundtrack. Seriously excited- I want to see some extremely fucked up psychosis play out on screen while shooting undead!

I'm going to post highlights of both Shinji Mikami and Suda 51's resumes as a lot of people tend to confuse certain designers from Capcom's heyday.

Shinji Mikami
Resident Evil (PlayStation)- Director/Producer
Resident Evil 2 (PlayStation)- Producer
Dino Crisis (PlayStation)- Director/Producer
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS)- Producer
Resident Evil: Code Veronic (PS2)- Producer
Dino Crisis 2 (PS)- Producer
Devil May Cry (PS2)- Executive Producer
Resident Evil (GameCube)- Director
Resident Evil Zero- Advisor
PN03 (GameCube)- Director
Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)- Director
Killer 7 (GameCube)- Executive Producer (Also the first collaboration between Suda 51 and Mikami)
God Hand (PS2)- Director
Vanquish (360 and PS3)- Director
Shadows of the Damned (360 and PS3)- Creative Producer

There's other various things thrown in there like lesser producing roles where he wasn't as hands on. Games like Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil: Outbreak, and Dino Crisis 3.

Suda 51 (Goichi Suda)
Michigan: Report from Hell (PS2)- Producer
Killer 7 (GameCube)- Director
Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked (PS2)- Director
Contact (DS)- Producer
No More Heroes (Wii)- Director
Fatal Frame IV (Wii)- Director
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (Wii)- Producer
Shadows of the Damned (360 and PS3)- Executive Director
Codename D (360)- TBA

All information was pulled from Wikipedia. Hopefully it's accurate.

Angry Fork

jaundicejuice said:
I'll pick this up after it bombs.
Made me laugh even though it's sad. This game has like no hype you have to wonder if it's quality or if it's really being sent to die.

taoofjord

eshwaaz said:
I'm interested in this game, but both of those trailers did a poor job of creating excitement. The boss one was surprisingly boring, with very weak-sounding weapons.

The only reason I'm interested in this is because Mikami is involved. I've never liked Suda's games. The gameplay footage and art direction looks looks dull. I don't know what sets this game apart from other third person shooters but certainly something must.

george_us

Wait, holy shit. This comes out next week?! For some strange reason I thought this was a either a Fall or 2012 release! Bought!

StuBurns

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I'm going to post highlights of both Shinji Mikami and Suda 51's resumes as a lot of people tend to confuse certain designers from Capcom's heyday.

All information was pulled from Wikipedia. Hopefully it's accurate.
For those interested, this game is directed by Massimo Guarini.

Way of the Samurai 3 (Producer)
Awatama – Soul Bubbles (Creative Producer)
Moon (Producer)
Hello Kitty and Friends! (Creative Producer)
Naruto – Rise of a Ninja (Game Design Director)
Open Season (Design Team Leader)
S.C.A.R. (Game Design)
Rainbow Six 3 Athena Sword (Game Design)
Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield (Game Design)
Tomb Raider – The Prophecy (Game Design)
The Mummy (Game Director)
Rainbow Six Rogue Spear (Game Design)
Rayman Arena (Game Design)
The Jungle Book (Game Design)
Rayman GBC (Game Design)

Anteater

Wow it's coming out already, time flies, I hope there's a demo. The gameplay videos does look pretty fun(ny), I'll wait for some impressions, and looking forward to listening to that soundtrack.

Top Bottom